My computer shutsdown when I try to play PC games?

DarkTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarkTemplar

For some reason whenever I play a computer game, my computer automatically restarts itself. Either before the game starts or after I close the game. This has done this to me with Company of Heroes Online (this game doesn't work on my computer anymore anyway, but when I started it), Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 (when I started it), and now MechWarrior 3 (when I closed it). However I tried playing AvP Classic 2000 again and it worked. I don't know why it does this, I have all of my drivers and everything, so why does my computer automatically just instantly turn off and then turn back on? After it turns back on it says that Windows XP has a serious problem and asks me to send an error report, apparently the problem lies somewhere with these two files or something:

C:\DOCUME~1\Kevin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERab4b.dir00\Mini011111-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Kevin\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERab4b.dir00\sysdata.xml

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

It just sounds like you need a new computer all around. The one you currently have can't handle modern games. Can you share your computer specs?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By mosdl

What operating system?  Sounds like your windows is broke

DarkTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DarkTemplar
@mosdl said:
" What operating system?  Sounds like your windows is broke "
Windows XP
DarkTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarkTemplar
@Seedofpower said:
" It just sounds like you need a new computer all around. The one you currently have can't handle modern games. Can you share your computer specs? "
Two of the three games I mentioned are from the 90s...
mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mosdl

Are you low on HD?  Might want to run some memory checker to see if you have a faulty dimm (http://www.memtest.org for example)

DarkTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarkTemplar
@mosdl said:
" Are you low on HD?  Might want to run some memory checker to see if you have a faulty dimm (http://www.memtest.org for example) "
88.9 GB free space...
KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By KillerBears

Those two files you posted are dump files I believe, as in your computer has written the info of the error to those files. My suggestion is you take this to a forum or site that is actually dedicated to computer issues, they can look at those files for you. If I had to guess, though, this could be a hardware problem, since you said it only happens with games, and this is a very strange behavior.

Most importantly,does your screen turn blue beforehand? If you're getting a blue screen error I'd be willing to bet its memory related. But then again, I have no idea how windows works.

Also, virus scan, fix registry errors, etc. Google will help you find tools to do this. Really, though, if you're still running XP you may be ready for an upgrade.

DarkTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarkTemplar
@KillerBears said:
" Those two files you posted are dump files I believe, as in your computer has written the info of the error to those files. My suggestion is you take this to a forum or site that is actually dedicated to computer issues, they can look at those files for you. If I had to guess, though, this could be a hardware problem, since you said it only happens with games, and this is a very strange behavior.

Most importantly,does your screen turn blue beforehand? If you're getting a blue screen error I'd be willing to bet its memory related. But then again, I have no idea how windows works. Also, virus scan, fix registry errors, etc. Google will help you find tools to do this. Really, though, if you're still running XP you may be ready for an upgrade. "
My computer screen doesn't turn blue, it just shutsdown without warning. What's a good forum/site for computer help?
brotherlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By brotherlu

Delete C:/Windows/System32 ..... works every time. 

jk 

With Windows there is only one solution. Format and Reinstall. Don't bother troubleshooting, there are very few ways to fix a fucked windows install.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Nictel

Sounds like an overheating problem or voltage problem to me.  Cleaning the inside of your computer, checking if all your fans are still spinning could be a cheap and easy solution.

http://www.tomshardware.com/ is a good dedicated computer site.   

wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wormz
@Nictel said:
" Sounds like an overheating problem or voltage problem to me.  Cleaning the inside of your computer, checking if all your fans are still spinning could be a cheap and easy solution.

http://www.tomshardware.com/ is a good dedicated computer site.    "
Overheating probably doesn't happen before a game has even started though.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By OllyOxenFree
@wormz said:
" @Nictel said:
" Sounds like an overheating problem or voltage problem to me.  Cleaning the inside of your computer, checking if all your fans are still spinning could be a cheap and easy solution.

http://www.tomshardware.com/ is a good dedicated computer site.    "
Overheating probably doesn't happen before a game has even started though. "
Still, it never hurts to clean out the insides with good ol' canned air.
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fajita_Jim

You see where it tells you it wrote those files? 
 Mini011111-01.dmp and the other one?  That info will tell you what caused the memory dump (a memory dump is when it writes the memory into a file and saves it as a .dmp file). Those files were created as a result of the crash, and were not the cause of it. You'll need something like windbg to open the dump file.

karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By karatetron

Sounds like you've got a problem, guy.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I have a similar problem dude. I am planning my reformatting process which I guess is my only answer.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By BraveToaster
@TrippinBungalow said:
" Sounds like you've got a problem, guy. "
Where would he be without you?
karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By karatetron
@Axxol said:
" @TrippinBungalow said:
" Sounds like you've got a problem, guy. "
Where would he be without you? "
I do try my best.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By captain_clayman

take this to a computer forum, because i honestly  have no idea. 

ask overclock.net

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By nintendoeats
@brotherlu said:
" Delete C:/Windows/System32 ..... works every time.   jk With Windows there is only one solution. Format and Reinstall. Don't bother troubleshooting, there are very few ways to fix a fucked windows install. "
That is absolute bullcrap on every level. Please don't say such silly things. I R serious cat, this R serious thread.

I agree that this is not the place to be, but if it onl;y happens when booting games than it is almost certainly a graphics problem. Is the fan on your GFX card busted? Are the drivers messed up? Is DX10 corrupted? If it isn't one of those problems, you may need a new card. Actually, if the fan is busted you might need a new card as well.

Anyway, ask some pros.
s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By s10129107

Sounds like either an overheating problem or a Power Supply problem.  used to happen to me.  Maybe you need to install a couple of fans an d clean the dust out of your computer.  Maybe you have to install a bigger power supply if you've installed graphics cards / hard drives and the like to your computer.  

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By tmthomsen
@DarkTemplar:  
If it crashes when starting a game, it is most likely a problem with your computers ability to draw graphics. Have you updated your video drivers and directx?
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Sometimes a computer will shut down if the psu isn't giving enough power to the videocard. I hope you don't have some 350 watt power supply. Then again who knows for sure until you actually start isolating the problem by testing other psus and stuff like that.