My dumb GB logo design

• 54 results
mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been wanting to do some logo designs recently just to try and improve my skills and whatnot. Thought why not do a GB one and the below was born:

No Caption Provided

I wanted something that was simple and inkeeping with the current GB colour scheme.

This isn't any sort of slight against the current logo, I love it (and all of the others Dave designed). Just wanted to have a play about and came up with this and thought I would share it! Any comments are welcome.

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I feel like this has a style very identifiable with like a certain service or scene but good goddamn if I can recognize what. Either way, it's cool stuff!

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's not dumb. That's cool. Bravo.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

i think I would play with the color scheme but I like the logo. Nice man!

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Teddie

It almost looks like the Giant Bomb and (old) Tested logos got combined into one minimalist design. It's a good look.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I prefer it to the real one. Reminds me of the bombcast logo.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By UncleBenny

whoa, this logo is pretty rad, like it should go on a GiantBomb vinyl kinda rad.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

whoa, this logo is pretty rad, like it should go on a GiantBomb vinyl kinda rad.

Same vibe I was getting.

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mjhwwbg

Thank you all so much for the kind comments. It does have as slight record label look to it but that's a little intentional and @teddie thank you so much, pretty much exactly what I was going for + a little hint of the old whiskey logo with the slanted text!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, that's very tastefully done. They should slap it on the shoulder of some of their shirts.

BoxxyBae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going with the crowd and saying this is pretty rad yo.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Reminds me a lot of the old Whisky Media branding. Very cool.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That's a really nice minimal design.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By whitegreyblack

@mjhwwbg: It's a great logo concept!. I hope you don't mind, I thought I'd riff a little on your idea and add my own suggestions:

No Caption Provided

Again, great work.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I like it.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice work dude, I love it.

Jeff said he was planning on getting a logo redesign, it would be really cool if the community could participate in a contest.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah dude that is pretty rad man, makes me wish I had those type of skills, but video is more my thing. I actually prefer that to the logo right now, really great clean look. Awesome!!!

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would buy that Vinyl.

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always been interested in the idea of a graphics standards manuals (look up the NASA one that can be downloaded from their website if you have any interest). If I get the time I might produce one for this, could be fun!

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's pretty dope!

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

That's an excellent design! When you said it was your dumb design, I was thinking we were going to have an even more exaggerated cartoon bomb than the one that's been around, but it looks really classy. Great work!

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really love it!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24 gamer_152  Moderator

I like it. It totally looks like someone put out a Giant Bomb LP.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm digging it.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definitely feeling that minimalist vibe that so many companies do with their logos now. If you dont know what im talking about look at how the apps on the iphones have evolved.

Also it is mesmerizing to just stare at this logo, ferris bueller's day off style.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

honestly they should edit a best of bombcast and release it on limited edition vinyl and this should be the cover

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#28 sweep  Moderator

"I occasionally click through to the people that like or comment on posts and I see a lot of “here’s my shitty drawings” or “I made this awful music” and so on. Stop it. You made that shit, you’re probably into that shit, be into that shit. Don’t downplay the fact that you make stuff. Just make stuff! Make it and be into it and if people don’t like it, tell them to fuck off (or tell them that that’s OK, it’s not for them in the first place).

It’s OK to like the stuff you made! It’s even OK to want other people to like the stuff you made! Permission granted to be into yourself (if you need that)! Just… try not to become an egomaniac about that, I guess."

- Jeff Gerstmann

[Side note please do not tell them to fuck off on these forums or we'll have to moderate you haha, x]

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By noblenerf

Really sleek and professional stuff. However, I can't help but see a donut or broken record before Giant Bomb's... bomb. It's too modern; looks like the logo for some new website with an ultra minimalist UI.

whitegreyback's take is more to my tastes, as it makes the bomb itself pop more and destroys the sleek look with the lit fuse.

So, yeah, nice work you two! Giant Bomb-related art is always really fun to see.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#31 sweep  Moderator

@xrott said:

@sweep said:

"I occasionally click through to the people that like or comment on posts and I see a lot of “here’s my shitty drawings” or “I made this awful music” and so on. Stop it. You made that shit, you’re probably into that shit, be into that shit. Don’t downplay the fact that you make stuff. Just make stuff! Make it and be into it and if people don’t like it, tell them to fuck off (or tell them that that’s OK, it’s not for them in the first place).

It’s OK to like the stuff you made! It’s even OK to want other people to like the stuff you made! Permission granted to be into yourself (if you need that)! Just… try not to become an egomaniac about that, I guess."

- Jeff Gerstmann

[Side note please do not tell them to fuck off on these forums or we'll have to moderate you haha, x]

No. I absolutely, strongly disagree.

While it's nice to feel good about what you're doing, in my opinion it is much more important to be able to distance yourself from your work, so you can keep a critical view of it.

When you're critical about the stuff you make, it is much easier to see your mistakes and learn from them. It makes you aware of your weak points and makes you much more open to constructive critiques from the people around you.

It gives you a reason to improve.

(Plus, to others, you're not looking like a pompous ass, who's in love with himself.)

It would probably be best if you can find some kind of balance between feeling good about what you're doing and still be critical of it, but it's a little easier to just dismiss your own work from the beginning.

In the end, my main point still stands:

What incentive do you have to get better, if you already think you're the best?

Edit: Please note that I'm talking about being critical of your work and not about being critical of yourself. There is a difference. One has to do with your ability to distance yourself from what you're doing and the other with your view of yourself and your overall confidence.

That's not the point that was being made at all. In fact that's pretty much the opposite of the point that was being made. I'm an artist, I know the value of criticism, but the difference here is between saying "here's a dumb thing I made" and "here's a thing I made". The idea that you should downplay the quality of your own work to avoid appearing arrogant is ridiculous. The whole point of constructive criticism is that you're letting people make up their own minds and give you feedback. Presenting it as "dumb" is just as bad as arrogantly calling it "great", because you're at worst imposing opinions upon your audience and at best you're looking for sympathy. Personally I believe that if you want honest feedback you should present without comment, instead of trying to manipulate people into being nice to you by saying your own work is bad.

Basically, there's a difference between being modest and being embarrassed. You're allowed to say "I'm really happy with how this turned out" without being considered an arrogant douchebag, and if people have other opinions then whatever, that's not the point. If you don't take pride in your work then it will never be as good as you want it to be.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I dig it. I like minimalist images over overly complicated stuff, and this really works for me.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I like this a lot (and the second variant @whitegreyblack made also)! Great job!

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: and I, used it as a basis to make a more favicon/emblem style variant.

nice job OP tho, I kind of dig everything but the font, which imo doesn't fit.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mub: No offence but I have no idea what's going on in that, and I don't like the changes you made. The orange doesn't go and I am still having a hard time trying to figure out what the black bit is.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

@mub: No offence but I have no idea what's going on in that, and I don't like the changes you made. The orange doesn't go and I am still having a hard time trying to figure out what the black bit is.

The black bit and the white bit make a G

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: It's a bomb with a G and a white outline?

It's a cool design and idea (the original), but it's kind of too serious for GB I think. Would fit if this was a game studio or something.

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mjhwwbg

Once again thank you very much for all of the comments, I really appreciate them all.

@sweep@xrott I take on board both of your comments. The intention of the title was purely to make sure that everyone clicking through to the thread knew that it wasn’t any sort of upcoming official change of the Giant Bomb logo – I didn’t want to create a click bait style of title like “New Giant Bomb Logo Design” because if your just browsing the forums and quickly reading titles then that could be read as GB is changing the logo. I definitely wasn’t trying to manipulate anyone or encourage positive remarks. I was just trying to follow forum rules. Both of your comments are acknowledged though and I should have thought about it more. If you want me to change it then please let me know what would be more suitable and I’ll do it – its not something I’m precious about. I like Jeff's quote though - something that I will think about in the future.

I find it really interesting to look at the other two designs as they both have elements that I played around with in coming up with the concept.

@whitegreyblack I did try to incorporate a spark of some sort but decided I liked the more simplified nature of a round logo. I considered adding a slight drop shadow and making it look more like a sticker and you wouldn’t want fiddly spikey bits of a sticker. It also fit more with the minimalistic look I was going for. Additionally, I did try stretching the text into the white boarder but felt this made it more difficult to read with the font I chose. Really nice work though!

@mub I considered putting in just a “G”, just a “B” and a “GB” but in the end decided that a strong concept that could exist without the text was better for when a very small logo was being used. Such as the below. But I do prefer it with the text.

No Caption Provided

@dussck@noblenerf I think that the minimal nature of the logo isn't going to be to everyone's taste and can make it look a little serious. If I get a chance maybe I'll play around with giving it some character because as we all know bomb should have a face!

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original looks like the best LP dropped by Geff Jerstmann. And that is awesome

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By majorchin

@sku: Kind of reminds me of the Beats logo, with the bomb's wick extending into the outline of the circle.

Cool design! I'd maybe play around with the typeface used for the name though, I don't think it keeps quite the same style you were going for with the rest of the design.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I want this to be the cover of the vinyl sleeve to the album Giant Bomb releases, in which each track is a different member of the crew screeching and yelling wildly.

Great design!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@benjo_t: comes with your very own Phantom Cigar to complete the experience.

I really dig the original and the "aggressive" design posted by whitegreyblack. But that one looks off without the white outline.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The red circle reminds me of a vinyl record, you could work this into a Bombcast related logo. Anyways, it looks great!

Avatar image for fixurheartordie
fixurheartordie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that you've done a really great job making slick, minimal design that keeps the personality of the site intact. It just fits. I can picture the rest of the webpage around it. There is a lot of weight around the border of the logo though, I wonder how it would scale. Did you have any ideas for alternate sizes?

Menibenes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Menibenes

I like it) Also, if anybody posts anywhere such works, I always claim the video tutorial of using the program they worked in..) So do you have the video with the process of creating this logo?

It makes easier the understanding of what does it made of)

JordanaRama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Just wanted to say that this is great work.

Have confidence in your abilities! You should!

jigenese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

This is spot-on perfect dude. Love it!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@mub said:

@whitegreyblack: and I, used it as a basis to make a more favicon/emblem style variant.

nice job OP tho, I kind of dig everything but the font, which imo doesn't fit.

That super duper looks like the Gamespot favicon.