My First Zelda

Pan1c42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Pan1c42

I know its a little blasphemes for me, to call my self a gamer, and have this be true. I've never played a Zelda game. Never even put one in my hands or on my screen. 
However, my girlfriend and I were consolidating our video game collections, and I came across this .

No Caption Provided
Now this disc contains 4 games. My question is simple. Where should I start? 

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask 

Post your thoughts.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

i say in this order, the legend of zelda, ocarina of time, majora's mask. i never played 2 but i think it is a crappy version. ur going to like ocarina of time.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DriveupLife

This answer depends on how many games you'd like to play of the Zelda series.

Interested in playing only one?  - Ocarina of time
Two?  -  A Link to the Past, then Majoras Mask.
 Three? - A Link to the Past, Ocarina of time, Majora's Mask

My favorite game in the series in Majora's mask hands down, but others disagree. Definitely play atleast Ocarina of Time, because that game changed the landscape of adventure games, which is awesome.

Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dom

oh man.... i want this game.. I found it at a store, but they sell for 100$

Pan1c42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Pan1c42

Thanks for the insight. Any other ideas out there?
I am thinking I'm going to start with OoT however. And see how I go from there.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ
@DriveupLife said:
" This answer depends on how many games you'd like to play of the Zelda series.  Interested in playing only one?  - Ocarina of time Two?  -  A Link to the Past, then Majoras Mask.  Three? - A Link to the Past, Ocarina of time, Majora's Mask  My favorite game in the series in Majora's mask hands down, but others disagree. Definitely play atleast Ocarina of Time, because that game changed the landscape of adventure games, which is awesome. "
Unfortunately, Link to the Past isn't an option for him. It's not on the disc.

Just start with Ocarina. If you like it, play Majora's Mask, then, if you feel really dedicated, Zelda 1 and 2.
Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MercuryCrusader

You guys make it sound like the first Legend of Zelda is a chore, and that the second is an abomination. Welp.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Whisperkill

Majora's Mask is pure genius in video game form. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
@MercuryCrusader: The Legend of Zelda still plays well enough, and I don't mind the second either. But if I was deciding which one to start with, it wouldn't be either of them.
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@LordAndrew: On the other hand, unless this guy is the most open-minded gamer of all time, playing a more recent entry and then trying an older one will probably lead to him saying "this crap is old, screw it". I figure that starting with the oldest and then working your way up will at least give him appreciation of how the series evolved overtime.  Or maybe I'm overthinking it.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By BeachThunder

Start with the original.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By TwoLines

Oh Jesus, don't. That's my advice.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JokerSmilez

The first Legend of Zelda absolutely holds up gameplay-wise, as long as you're ok with the 8-bit graphics.

I went back and played it a couple of months ago. Still an awesome game. If you only have the choice of those, I'd start there. My favorite of the series is still Link to the Past though. Get your hands on that!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew
@MercuryCrusader: If that's going to happen, it's going to happen with or without playing Ocarina.
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By frankfartmouth

I agree that it kind of depends on how many you intend on playing. If you're going for more than one (as you should), I'd suggest you start at the beginning and move your way up, that way you can somewhat appreciate what an accomplishment Ocarina was. Hard to gauge unless you actually see how they were able to transition from 2D to 3D and bring the whole Zelda feel with them. It was really nothing short of mind-blowing. May not affect you in the same way given the dating of the graphics and all, but you can still get an idea. There's a reason many consider it the best game ever made (myself included).

You don't need to play every one of them. Start with The Legend of Zelda, skip the Adventure of Link (blows) and replace it with A Link to the Past if you can, then do Ocarina, then Majora. And yes, the original Zelda can be a bit of a chore by today's standards. A little tedious, but still worthwhile. Link to the Past, Ocarina, and Majora's Mask hold up beautifully though. After that, if you ind you like them, there's a whole slew of entries past and present worth playing

MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@LordAndrew: Good point.  Haha!