My friend wants to listen to the bombcast!

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I need some help here guys, what would you say the definitive episode of the bombcast is, if you were to say "hey you, just listen to this one episode" which would it be??

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Shivoa
OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say just listen to a current show to see if they like it first. Do game of the year podcasts count? If they end up liking it, those are always really interesting and there's a lot of really good moments in them to. Just my two cents ^_^

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just listen to the most recent one. I don't think pushing someone too hard to see the 'best bits' of the podcast would really work. Best bits are probably only funny because long time listeners know who everyone is already.

Just tell them to listen to the most recent one.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

I would just start at the beginning. That's what I did.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with Shivoa that the This year collections are good ways to get a feel for the podcast and get some of the best bits. Otherwise it depends on what your friend wants to get out of the podcast. If you listen for opinions and news about new video games I would just start with the current episodes. If they are in it for the comedy I personally think 2011 - 2012 was when the show was the funniest, so maybe start there.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gaff

Pick the ones with the most body horror stories. Man, that story about Dan's teeth...

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Trilogy

I would keep it recent. If they're going to listen to the bombcast, they're almost certainly going to be listening to new episodes with the current members.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By RonGalaxy

Just tell them to start with the most recent one. I boarded the bomb train in 2011, and never felt the need to go back to older stuff (besides whiskey media happy hour, which is required viewing).

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AngriGhandi

If your friend doesn't care about "era" or relevance of the material, the December 9th, 2008 Bombcast is probably my favorite ever.

It's the one they had to re-record after technical difficulties destroyed the first, "admittedly pretty weak" podcast they had recorded that day, so they go back through everything again while drinking beers and being really punchy and it is so great.

It's only an hour long, which might be a plus for a first-time listener, and because they've already talked about everything once and have no patience left, it's almost pure jokes with very little filler, and holds up better than more news-focused episodes.

Also, Jeff has his keyboard. It's pretty good.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry, I think you meant beastcast. :gbeast

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dharmabum I wish I could get that kind of coverage on the bombcast.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beastcast Episode 75 i think it was when Jeff was on. One of the best podcast episodes this year.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@redhotchilimist: The problem with starting with the Ryan Bombcasts is that sadly they eventually run out. Seriously that old composition with Ryan and Vinny.. those were some golden years.

Personally I started my Bombcast adventure with E3. At the time I used to mainly visit the now defunct GameTrailers for their really well put together reviews and obviously the trailers. A friend of mine used to always talk about the Bombcast but I wasn't into the whole idea of podcasts for whatever reason, I just didn't see the appeal, so I usually just brushed his recommendations aside. Then during E3 I had this really boring transitional job and decided to check Giant Bomb out and they were running those after-hours shows. Man.. it was the E3 when Jeff debuted his Duke Nukem impression and I was hooked.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would download the first and most recent one and tell him to give it 3 of each before he makes his mind up. Personally if you are going to be a fan of the Bombcast you have to experience the Jeff, Vinny and Ryan days, because some of that stuff is beautiful.

Listening to the show from the start will help make that bond with the personalities which is what great radio is about, it will also give them an idea, and some context about what this site and the bombcast stood for if that doesn't sound too grandiose...

Basically if you are going to be a fan of the Bombcast you have to meet Ryan, even if it might break your heart a little in the end...

shaggydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

last weeks show, "Giant Bombcast 458: East Meets West" was a good enough spot to start. Just tell your friend to be patient, it takes a few weeks to get into their flow....but the next few weeks of shows should be great.