My God, What Have I Done?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By Bones8677

Welcome to the first of what will be – God willing – many more blogs in a series I like to call, “My God, what have I done?” Where I will document the silly and non typical things I do surrounding my interactive entertainment routine. So without further adieu, let’s begin with the first one.

WANT TO PLAY A GAME? PLAY ITS PREDECESSORS!

Ever wanted to play a game that was a sequel in a series? Ever been told to play the first ones that way you can catch up on the story? How many of you actually do just that? Well with the exception of Mass Effect I hadn’t. Not for Assassins Creed 2, or Uncharted 2. But from what people have said about this game it is imperative to play the first games in the series before diving into the latest adventure.

That game being Metal Gear Solid 4.

Now I’ve never been a real fan of the series, having never played them, with the exception of barely trying out Metal Gear Solid 2. However I never finished the first level on the ship. Don’t really know why I gave up. Maybe it had something to do with the controls or how I was fighting an army of assault rifles with my teeny silenced pistol.

Other than that I only knew of the games from its infamous story. So it made a heck of a lot of sense to play the first games that way I would not be lost in a when I would eventually venture into part 4. But why start now? Why do I have the urge to play part 4? I have absolutely no idea, maybe I’m realizing that I’m missing out on such a beloved series. And this is my chance to atone for my sins?

I dunno.

But what I do know is that if I want to play the game I have little choice than to play the first three games. So I went out and bought the Essential collection. Just so I can prepare myself for the conclusion.

Considering how long it takes me to complete games in their entirety I can expect myself to begin playing MGS4 at or around when the Cubs win the World Series.

MY GOD...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bones8677

Welcome to the first of what will be – God willing – many more blogs in a series I like to call, “My God, what have I done?” Where I will document the silly and non typical things I do surrounding my interactive entertainment routine. So without further adieu, let’s begin with the first one.

WANT TO PLAY A GAME? PLAY ITS PREDECESSORS!

Ever wanted to play a game that was a sequel in a series? Ever been told to play the first ones that way you can catch up on the story? How many of you actually do just that? Well with the exception of Mass Effect I hadn’t. Not for Assassins Creed 2, or Uncharted 2. But from what people have said about this game it is imperative to play the first games in the series before diving into the latest adventure.

That game being Metal Gear Solid 4.

Now I’ve never been a real fan of the series, having never played them, with the exception of barely trying out Metal Gear Solid 2. However I never finished the first level on the ship. Don’t really know why I gave up. Maybe it had something to do with the controls or how I was fighting an army of assault rifles with my teeny silenced pistol.

Other than that I only knew of the games from its infamous story. So it made a heck of a lot of sense to play the first games that way I would not be lost in a when I would eventually venture into part 4. But why start now? Why do I have the urge to play part 4? I have absolutely no idea, maybe I’m realizing that I’m missing out on such a beloved series. And this is my chance to atone for my sins?

I dunno.

But what I do know is that if I want to play the game I have little choice than to play the first three games. So I went out and bought the Essential collection. Just so I can prepare myself for the conclusion.

Considering how long it takes me to complete games in their entirety I can expect myself to begin playing MGS4 at or around when the Cubs win the World Series.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

lol. Oh christ dude. Good luck with those games and I look forward to your future "My God, What Have I Done?" blogs.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

Good luck sticking with your resolution.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Marz

if you want to play them in chronological order,  play 3 -> 1 -> 2  -> 4 story makes better sense.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By skrutop

Loved 1, hated 2, bought (but never played) 3.  Good luck.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By abdo

I played the MGS series in chronological order, because of almost the same reason as you, except for me this started with MGS3.  Bought it in 2006, played it. Realised that it was the first chronologically, so I decided to play the rest likewise. 

Good luck with your endeavours, and here's a tip: I suggest you don't rush these games like I did, since they're story-heavy. And what a saga it is. You want to savour it and enjoy every (nano)second.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By zero_
@Marz said:
" if you want to play them in chronological order,  play 3 -> 1 -> 2  -> 4 story makes better sense. "
I disagree - play it in the order it was intended: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4. There are too many story elements revealed in 3 that you don't enjoy on the same level without the pre-conceived ideas of 1 and 2.

Also - is that MGS3 from the MGS3 Collection Subsistence or is it the regular MGS3? Subsistence is much, much better than the original - more so than Substance improves over 2 (which really isn't all that much). 
Good luck with your journey mate, the MGS series is one of my most favourite gaming series - you just have to not take the game so seriously and able to suspend a little belief to enjoy it much more.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ
@Zero_ said:
" @Marz said:
" if you want to play them in chronological order,  play 3 -> 1 -> 2  -> 4 story makes better sense. "
I disagree - play it in the order it was intended: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4. There are too many story elements revealed in 3 that you don't enjoy on the same level without the pre-conceived ideas of 1 and 2.  Also - is that MGS3 from the MGS3 Collection Subsistence or is it the regular MGS3? Subsistence is much, much better than the original - more so than Substance improves over 2 (which really isn't all that much).  Good luck with your journey mate, the MGS series is one of my most favourite gaming series - you just have to not take the game so seriously and able to suspend a little belief to enjoy it much more. "
And for the complete mindfuck, play the first two Metal Gear games for the MSX-2, I think at least one of them is in the special editions of the MGS games. Because when you play 4, and you realize they've linked this plot from a 20+ year old game, your head will explode. 
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I have MGS4 and...well... 

I was just about to do the same thing.  (Apparently they're the Substance and Subsistance versions, but they still count as the originals. Not like Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams, which is totally NOT Silent Hill2, no matter what anybody tells me!)

We're like...the same person.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By zero_
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Zero_ said:
" @Marz said:
I disagree - play it in the order it was intended: 1 > 2 > 3 > 4. There are too many story elements revealed in 3 that you don't enjoy on the same level without the pre-conceived ideas of 1 and 2.  Also - is that MGS3 from the MGS3 Collection Subsistence or is it the regular MGS3? Subsistence is much, much better than the original - more so than Substance improves over 2 (which really isn't all that much).  Good luck with your journey mate, the MGS series is one of my most favourite gaming series - you just have to not take the game so seriously and able to suspend a little belief to enjoy it much more. "
And for the complete mindfuck, play the first two Metal Gear games for the MSX-2, I think at least one of them is in the special editions of the MGS games. Because when you play 4, and you realize they've linked this plot from a 20+ year old game, your head will explode.  "
You reckon? While I think Kojima is one of the many geniuses in the development world, I don't think it's planned out -that- far out, considering characters like Major Zero are never mentioned before MGS3 - it's as if he never existed prior to the development of MGS3. To find out he has such a pivotal role in the canon later on in 4 makes me think that Kojima's just adding things to the foundation story established in the original Metal Gears and just trying to blend it all in as best he can, and he did a pretty good job of it.
harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By harinosho
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Zero_ said:
" @Marz said:
And for the complete mindfuck, play the first two Metal Gear games for the MSX-2, I think at least one of them is in the special editions of the MGS games. Because when you play 4, and you realize they've linked this plot from a 20+ year old game, your head will explode.  "
Yip playing the first 2 metal gear games will give you more of a complete feeling to the series. 

but then.. the upcoming RISING, yeah lightning bolt action of awesomenessly awesomeness. Play it.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By MikkaQ
@Zero_:  I don't think he planned it all out, when he did the 80s ones, no. But they way he linked them all together was actually amazing. 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

Expect to have a many night awake drinking too much coffee stuck with having your head filled with the countless storyline connections and heavy moral messages.  
Usually we had years between each game to give us time to catch our breath, but one straight after another??....I'll tell you what you've done....you've dooooooooooooomed yourself!