My GOTY of 2008 goes to Mirror's Edge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I never gave it much attension and when it got mediocre reviews I was going to ignore it. However I gave it a torrent and checked the game out and I didn't get off to a good start with it. See the problem is they don't do a Valve or a Blizzard like job of introducing you to the controls and this new concept which leaves you often frustrated. I then bought the game because I respected their new ideas and want to support innovation and left it at that. However since then I've completed it...... three times infact because I just can't get enough of it and I just love it now. I know I can poke faults at it like a stiff combat system, mediocre story with horrible cartoons and it just makes yout hink why they went to so much effort to keep your immersed and then ruin it with them. I know there can be frustrating times and the trial and error moments when the game isn't flowing are very annoying. However despite all that I was having fun and felt like a badass doing all the moves and having for the first time in an FPS (that I've played and Dark Messiah don't count) full control over my character and being speedy. I really hope they do another one in the future because even though I accept it to be a mediocre game, I did have alot of fun with it and I did come back and play time and time again, which no other game in 2008 got me to do. It has a like Portal moment at the end with the Still Alive song which was quite kool aswel and left you with a happy feeling.

So Despite all the flaws and it being a 3/5 game because of all the broken and missing stuff, I had more fun with Mirror's Edge than all the games of 2008 and it was the only game I wanted complete. When it wasn't being fun like the slow moments when you're indoors or jumping from pipe to pipe, you know you'll be rewarded and have a satisfying feeling for doing it and there will be a fun running bit afterwards. Games like GTA 4 while I loved it, I must admit there were certain missions that I hated so much that I just used cheats to get past because the AI in that game can be annoying and keep getting you killed.

I just hope they put multiplayer in the next one where you race with other people side by side like them Counter Strike race maps where the first person to the end wins and youc an push eachother off the platforms which is always a laugh.

Edit:  Btw buy it for PC if you can because the keyboard & mouse controls are so much better and the graphics are on a whole other level on the PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never gave it much attension and when it got mediocre reviews I was going to ignore it. However I gave it a torrent and checked the game out and I didn't get off to a good start with it. See the problem is they don't do a Valve or a Blizzard like job of introducing you to the controls and this new concept which leaves you often frustrated. I then bought the game because I respected their new ideas and want to support innovation and left it at that. However since then I've completed it...... three times infact because I just can't get enough of it and I just love it now. I know I can poke faults at it like a stiff combat system, mediocre story with horrible cartoons and it just makes yout hink why they went to so much effort to keep your immersed and then ruin it with them. I know there can be frustrating times and the trial and error moments when the game isn't flowing are very annoying. However despite all that I was having fun and felt like a badass doing all the moves and having for the first time in an FPS (that I've played and Dark Messiah don't count) full control over my character and being speedy. I really hope they do another one in the future because even though I accept it to be a mediocre game, I did have alot of fun with it and I did come back and play time and time again, which no other game in 2008 got me to do. It has a like Portal moment at the end with the Still Alive song which was quite kool aswel and left you with a happy feeling.

So Despite all the flaws and it being a 3/5 game because of all the broken and missing stuff, I had more fun with Mirror's Edge than all the games of 2008 and it was the only game I wanted complete. When it wasn't being fun like the slow moments when you're indoors or jumping from pipe to pipe, you know you'll be rewarded and have a satisfying feeling for doing it and there will be a fun running bit afterwards. Games like GTA 4 while I loved it, I must admit there were certain missions that I hated so much that I just used cheats to get past because the AI in that game can be annoying and keep getting you killed.

I just hope they put multiplayer in the next one where you race with other people side by side like them Counter Strike race maps where the first person to the end wins and youc an push eachother off the platforms which is always a laugh.

Edit:  Btw buy it for PC if you can because the keyboard & mouse controls are so much better and the graphics are on a whole other level on the PC.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I downloaded the demo last night. I think I'm going to be buying it come pay day.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Karmum

It really is a great game, but it did feel somewhat short. I will say it again and again, a free-roam would have done this game wonders.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Game of the year huh?

Must been the only game you bought in 08

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By GobiasIndustries
Karmum said:
"It really is a great game, but it did feel somewhat short. I will say it again and again, a free-roam would have done this game wonders."
I totally agree.

It shows a lot of potential but it just wasn't anywhere near as good as it could/should have been.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By shadows_kill

its a really good game and free ps3 downloadable content came out today (it maybe on 360?)

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Lunarbunny

I still prefer Sins of a Solar Empire.

I'd say it has plenty of its own innovation, it's just not as obvious.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lack of Story killed Sins for me.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Lunarbunny

4X games you make your own story. Plus, for me at least, it increases the replay value greatly because I'm not getting the same thing every time.

Not that I don't appreciate a strong narrative, Mass Effect I enjoyed greatly and still am playing it.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cheapoz

I love the art on the walls in the green level, since my office walls are grey and lime green here too.

Get a screen grab of one of them for me will ya?