My New Gamer Dad. Suggestions?

Silverbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Silverbrand

My father recently purchased a new giant HDTV. He called me and asked me if I could give him suggestions for a Bluray player and one of the things I listed off for him was the PS3. He opted for that. He then called and asked me for suggestions for games.

My father has never really played games. He's pushing 60, and he's blind in one eye due to a chemistry set explosion as a kid. The first game that came to mind for him was Heavy Rain. He also was a big fan of arcade style racing games, most notable the old Outrun arcade game, so naturally he brought up the possibility of racing games. I don't play them and know nothing about them.

Can anyone make any racing game suggestions or even more general than that, any PS3 game suggestions? I was probably going to get him a gamefly gift card or a PSN card or something.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

Forza Mot-  Oh, its 360 only.  Thats a shame.  Burnout is always a a solid arcade racing choice.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AgentofChaos

Tiger Woods. If he likes Golf at all. I got my Dad hooked on that shit.
The thing you have to mainly remember is, your Dad has no concept of amazing graphics.  Burnout Paradise might be easy enough for him, especially since he doesn't actually have to race.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael

Burnout Paradise(for the single player), Burnout Revenge(for the multiplayer) and WipEout HD(for both).

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe

Not sure if he's into war games like my father, but I got my dad a 360 and Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway and he's still playing it. Also played a lot of Call of Duty: World at War.

As far as racing games go, Dirt 2 was really good. Need for Speed: SHIFT was pretty fun as well.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kyreo
@Icemael said:
" Burnout Paradise(for the single player), Burnout Revenge(for the multiplayer) and WipEout HD(for both). "
@Silverbrand: Totally forgot about WipEout.  These games are great, recommend them to yer old man.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hatking

Burnout Paradise for sure.  I'm sure there are others but I don't own a PS3 so I don't know the exclusives so well.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By frankxiv

if you're in the uk i think they actually have outrun on the psn. like an updated one.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In addition to the stuff already mentioned, maybe the GRID and DIRT games?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sambambo

A good RTS (not sure if there are any on the ps3). In my experiance, Dads love RTS games.

Heavy Rain for sure

Bioshock 1 + 2

Both Uncharteds.

Maybe the Sonic Megadrive Collection?

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Motorstorm was cool.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By JonathanMoore

Sonic's Genesis Collection sounds like a safe bet.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Geno

Arcade style racing game? Wipeout HD, Dirt 2 and Grid are all very good.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By btman

if he likes sports then like NHL 10, Madden 10 etc.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Belonpopo

My Dad plays a mean Nazi Zombie's it's the worst thing ever.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dogbox

Dirt 2, GT5: Prologue, and - if he's anything like my dad - some military-themed games. BC2 just came out.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alphiehyr
@Silverbrand said:
" My father recently purchased a new giant HDTV. He called me and asked me if I could give him suggestions for a Bluray player and one of the things I listed off for him was the PS3. He opted for that. He then called and asked me for suggestions for games.  My father has never really played games. He's pushing 60, and he's blind in one eye due to a chemistry set explosion as a kid. The first game that came to mind for him was Heavy Rain. He also was a big fan of arcade style racing games, most notable the old Outrun arcade game, so naturally he brought up the possibility of racing games. I don't play them and know nothing about them.  Can anyone make any racing game suggestions or even more general than that, any PS3 game suggestions? I was probably going to get him a gamefly gift card or a PSN card or something. "
Your probably was my suggestion as well. There is a lot of arcade games available.
Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lucifer

I actually think Heavy Rain is a bad idea if he's new to gaming. Bare in mind that Heavy Rain has QTE and that he probably isn't familiar with the Dualshock controller, and doesn't have every buttom maped out in his head like we gamers do. Which could prove problematic in Heavy Rain. Maybe he should get it later when he's more familiar with the controller. Of course this might not apply to your dad but it sure as hell does to my sister.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust

You might want to look into a few fighters.  I think Soul Calibur 4 is a good start since it can be very "button-mashy" on normal level.  This is a good thing as far as gamers who don't know precisely what they are doing.  Just pounding on buttons and cool things happen is a plus in this situation.  God of War (collection & later III) also might be good buys since they are also all about ease of coolness.   I think getting someone used to twin stick gaming, especially as far as FPS games go, might be the hardest obstacle to overcome.   PSN's Super Stardust HD might be a good start, though.  And, if he wants something a bit more cerebral but also more complicated, have him take a look at Civilization: Revolutions.  And, don't forget, the Sony ARC controller will probably be out by year's end, so if he completely blows it with the dual shock 3, there is that option for the future.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NakAttack

i believe The Orange Box came out for the PS3, if im not mistakin.

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By dutch42

I don't really know what to suggest as the closest my dad has gotten to gaming is playing flight simulator. I used to take great pleasure in crashing his carefully plotted 4 hour flight into the sea when he got up to go to the bathroom.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By vager

Theres OutRun on PSN. I'm sure your Dad would love the nostalgia.
raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raiz265

i guess stuff like burnout or wipeout could be a bit too fast and "actiony" for a 60 year old man who's blind on one eye 

it's not out yet but i guess R.U.S.E. might be something... from what i've seen in the trailers so far it seems to be rather slow paced and more about tactics and strategy than fiddly, hectic micro management

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Djeffers03

a motorstorm game would be good

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By K0rN

Heavy Rain 
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By X19

Burnout Paradise has a bundle on PSN which includes all the dlc for just over £20. Uncharted 1 and 2 just play on easy, medium. Lots of stuff on PSN like Braid, Flower, Trine and Pixel Junk titles to name a few.

Sinatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sinatra

Burnout Paradise its cheap and has an arcade feel to it. 

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CowMuffins
@Fragstoff said:
" Star Trek Online might be very Dad-oriented, especially if he likes Star Trek "
Read the thread.