My new PC experience.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By vidiot

I kinda sat there, dumbfounded, watching my After Effects Composition slowly grind to a halt. The computers at school rendered the same animation without thought, but my machine sputtered, as if what I asked it was some terrible atrocity. I watched in horror as each frame rendered in a scream of agony. Literally. The fan sped and made the noise of a car engine.

It was time to get a new machine. 

Now with 9GB of Ram.
 Now with 9GB of Ram.
It's strange going back into PC gaming. When I announced it at class, and to my friends a few things happened:
#1) I was offered immediately copies of games. I have turned everyone down.
#2) I was asked "why".
#3) Certain individuals were waaaaay to excited. 

The ambivalence of certain people both humbled and annoyed me. I literally had a conversation that started like this:  
"You have every current console system available, (Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP) why do you need a gaming PC?"

Not the best way to start a conversation, especially when your about to spend almost $2,000 on a product. Of course, I want a kick-ass PC also for the sake of my work, and that it's probably a goddamn better investment in myself than any game console. 

But, I reserved my anger for a latter time. Thanksgiving is tomorrow.

I haven't really played anything new, and technically thrilling on a PC in years
Suffice to say: It was very eerie and disturbing to hear that. Because no matter how much I don't want to admit it, there is a kernel of truth in his statement. Console gaming reigns supreme for multiple issues, I have friends that work at actual gaming companies that I met during my game testing days (Days I don't want to remember) who shared (still share) with me a litany of reasons. 
Will I really see/feel a difference playing a console game in HD, versus playing one on my computer? It's a complicated answer, with a ton of legitimate emotion attached. 

The amount of help I've also received has been unreal. I paid very little to what I got. If it wasn't for a few friends who researched the fuck out of this for me, it probably wouldn't have happened. My best regards to all those who helped me.

It's really nice so far. I've had quite a bit of fun for the last few days. 

(Notice: The screenshots shared in this blog are terrible and ugly, made with the trial version of FRAPS. It is not an accurate representation at all with my set-up. I haven't moved all my software over, including Photoshop :/ )

That game I've played before.

I loved the first Mass Effect. 
I'm only missing the Pinnacle Station DLC for an #S Rank for god-sake. I've played it to death. After playing the Mass Effect 2 demo at PAX, I'm counting down it's release a bit...compulsively.  

Nick Shepard is not amused.
I like the elevator rides in the PC version. :P

I had a bunch of conversations regarding Mass Effect's load times at the time of it's release. Some people told me that the elevator rides were long on purpose, not because of technical strains. When I suggested that the game was actually loading, I was actually scoffed at by a certain nameless individual.

Of course we know the elevator rides were long for a reason. Heck, even Bioware has come out and stated that it was loading. I felt vindicated within the first elevator ride, yet at the same time I had the feeling of "well duh, of course."
The game runs great, and the refinements to the mechanics themselves are equally impressive. I don't know if it's enough for me to warrant an entire new play-through. 

For the sake of testing I booted up HalfLife 2. I think the terminology regarding advanced anti-aliasing needs some help because, "16xQ CSAA" doesn't exactly roll of the tongue in conversation. It's neat to be reminded how such an old game still holds up quite well visually. 

Forbidden territory

Personally for me this is the big one.
I can run Crysis.
I can run Crysis, very, very, well.

As a longtime console gamer, Crysis always seemed like some unattainable threshold that I would never be able to reach. When I first booted the game up and checked the settings, I would be lying if I said I didn't get something akin to goosebumps. "Very High" sounded like an absurdity. Perhaps, if I hypothetically selected it I would be smote by some unforeseen creature? Disciplining me for choosing some forbidden form of existence

I turned everything up. No hitches, no problems, no nothing. It runs like a dream. 

This picture is caption ready for any forum debate or situation.
I'm having problems with the game though. Visual fidelity aside, Crysis walks a tightrope of everything I love in shooters and everything I hate. 
To put it simple: Hire a writer. 

At one point in the game early on, one of the characters is attacked by a blue alien/monster thing as well as an entire patrol of North Koreans. When you finally reach them they are literally torn apart, your ill-fated buddy you ran to rescue hangs dramatically still strung up in his parachute. He is very, very dead.

The dialog follows:
"Jester, report in, what's Aztec's status?"
"Dead boss." 
"Dammit, what the hell is going on out there?"
"I don't know, but I don't think were alone out here."

Well done Captain Obvious!  
Holy shit Sherlock, you really earned your chops to be able to run around with in such expensive equipment. I was going to be pretty indifferent over the entire enemy patrol being ripped to shreds, including our buddy, thing. I had no idea that all the growls and animal roars we heard running over here were associated to something else palpable roaming around a dense dark forest! While it won't beat Killzone 2 in terms of being forced to listen to groan worthy manufactured "marine talk", Crysis so far has come pretty damn close. 

In regards to it's visuals, yes it's pretty.
Yet at the same time, I feel strange. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 might not run, or have all the little visual tweaks that Crysis has at once, but there's a part of me that feels like they give this game quite the run for it's money. Perhaps it's unfair to compare a game from 2007 to today, but seeing the over-the-top nature of pointing to Crysis as the benchmark for your PC, I can't seem to shake off this feeling. Don't get me wrong. When you see a vista in Uncharted, you can't run to it. Technically they are built completely differently, and of course are incomparable mechanically. But I still can't shake off the feeling.

Perhaps this is a pro to Crysis. What other game can you think of made three years ago can hold it's own effortlessly with the likes of both Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2? Perhaps my perception is skewed. 

I totally dig the continuation of FarCry's stalking and exploring gameplay, even though it feels a bit familiar. 
The real question
 STOP PICKING ON MEEEEE!!!!
boils down to what other game let's you toss a North Korean?  

None, that's what. That's the real reason why Crysis is amazing.

Okay, seriously, what the hell?
What other games has flying North Koreans? I can't think of any. Again, point goes to Crysis.

In conclusion: I'm really happy to get into PC gaming. This blog is a bit of a brag, but there's also a part of me that feels like I should have done this sooner. It's my negative experiences with my friends that really inspired this write-up. The very natural turn-off. 
Expensive: Yes. Impractical: No
I want something socially to change.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vidiot

I kinda sat there, dumbfounded, watching my After Effects Composition slowly grind to a halt. The computers at school rendered the same animation without thought, but my machine sputtered, as if what I asked it was some terrible atrocity. I watched in horror as each frame rendered in a scream of agony. Literally. The fan sped and made the noise of a car engine.

It was time to get a new machine. 

Now with 9GB of Ram.
 Now with 9GB of Ram.
It's strange going back into PC gaming. When I announced it at class, and to my friends a few things happened:
#1) I was offered immediately copies of games. I have turned everyone down.
#2) I was asked "why".
#3) Certain individuals were waaaaay to excited. 

The ambivalence of certain people both humbled and annoyed me. I literally had a conversation that started like this:  
"You have every current console system available, (Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP) why do you need a gaming PC?"

Not the best way to start a conversation, especially when your about to spend almost $2,000 on a product. Of course, I want a kick-ass PC also for the sake of my work, and that it's probably a goddamn better investment in myself than any game console. 

But, I reserved my anger for a latter time. Thanksgiving is tomorrow.

I haven't really played anything new, and technically thrilling on a PC in years
Suffice to say: It was very eerie and disturbing to hear that. Because no matter how much I don't want to admit it, there is a kernel of truth in his statement. Console gaming reigns supreme for multiple issues, I have friends that work at actual gaming companies that I met during my game testing days (Days I don't want to remember) who shared (still share) with me a litany of reasons. 
Will I really see/feel a difference playing a console game in HD, versus playing one on my computer? It's a complicated answer, with a ton of legitimate emotion attached. 

The amount of help I've also received has been unreal. I paid very little to what I got. If it wasn't for a few friends who researched the fuck out of this for me, it probably wouldn't have happened. My best regards to all those who helped me.

It's really nice so far. I've had quite a bit of fun for the last few days. 

(Notice: The screenshots shared in this blog are terrible and ugly, made with the trial version of FRAPS. It is not an accurate representation at all with my set-up. I haven't moved all my software over, including Photoshop :/ )

That game I've played before.

I loved the first Mass Effect. 
I'm only missing the Pinnacle Station DLC for an #S Rank for god-sake. I've played it to death. After playing the Mass Effect 2 demo at PAX, I'm counting down it's release a bit...compulsively.  

I like the elevator rides in the PC version. :P

I had a bunch of conversations regarding Mass Effect's load times at the time of it's release. Some people told me that the elevator rides were long on purpose, not because of technical strains. When I suggested that the game was actually loading, I was actually scoffed at by a certain nameless individual.

Of course we know the elevator rides were long for a reason. Heck, even Bioware has come out and stated that it was loading. I felt vindicated within the first elevator ride, yet at the same time I had the feeling of "well duh, of course."
The game runs great, and the refinements to the mechanics themselves are equally impressive. I don't know if it's enough for me to warrant an entire new play-through. 

For the sake of testing I booted up HalfLife 2. I think the terminology regarding advanced anti-aliasing needs some help because, "16xQ CSAA" doesn't exactly roll of the tongue in conversation. It's neat to be reminded how such an old game still holds up quite well visually. 

Forbidden territory

Personally for me this is the big one.
I can run Crysis.
I can run Crysis, very, very, well.

As a longtime console gamer, Crysis always seemed like some unattainable threshold that I would never be able to reach. When I first booted the game up and checked the settings, I would be lying if I said I didn't get something akin to goosebumps. "Very High" sounded like an absurdity. Perhaps, if I hypothetically selected it I would be smote by some unforeseen creature? Disciplining me for choosing some forbidden form of existence

I turned everything up. No hitches, no problems, no nothing. It runs like a dream. 

I'm having problems with the game though. Visual fidelity aside, Crysis walks a tightrope of everything I love in shooters and everything I hate. 
To put it simple: Hire a writer. 

At one point in the game early on, one of the characters is attacked by a blue alien/monster thing as well as an entire patrol of North Koreans. When you finally reach them they are literally torn apart, your ill-fated buddy you ran to rescue hangs dramatically still strung up in his parachute. He is very, very dead.

The dialog follows:
"Jester, report in, what's Aztec's status?"
"Dead boss." 
"Dammit, what the hell is going on out there?"
"I don't know, but I don't think were alone out here."

Well done Captain Obvious!  
Holy shit Sherlock, you really earned your chops to be able to run around with in such expensive equipment. I was going to be pretty indifferent over the entire enemy patrol being ripped to shreds, including our buddy, thing. I had no idea that all the growls and animal roars we heard running over here were associated to something else palpable roaming around a dense dark forest! While it won't beat Killzone 2 in terms of being forced to listen to groan worthy manufactured "marine talk", Crysis so far has come pretty damn close. 

Yet at the same time, I feel strange. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 might not run, or have all the little visual tweaks that Crysis has at once, but there's a part of me that feels like they give this game quite the run for it's money. Perhaps it's unfair to compare a game from 2007 to today, but seeing the over-the-top nature of pointing to Crysis as the benchmark for your PC, I can't seem to shake off this feeling. Don't get me wrong. When you see a vista in Uncharted, you can't run to it. Technically they are built completely differently, and of course are incomparable mechanically. But I still can't shake off the feeling.

Perhaps this is a pro to Crysis. What other game can you think of made three years ago can hold it's own effortlessly with the likes of both Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2? Perhaps my perception is skewed. 

I totally dig the continuation of FarCry's stalking and exploring gameplay, even though it feels a bit familiar. 
The real question
boils down to what other game let's you toss a North Korean?  

None, that's what. That's the real reason why Crysis is amazing.

What other games has flying North Koreans? I can't think of any. Again, point goes to Crysis.

In conclusion: I'm really happy to get into PC gaming. This blog is a bit of a brag, but there's also a part of me that feels like I should have done this sooner. It's my negative experiences with my friends that really inspired this write-up. The very natural turn-off. 
Expensive: Yes. Impractical: No
I want something socially to change.
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By DCFGS3

I fully agree with the hating on Crysis, IMO it doesn't even play itself well as a shooter, graphics aside, it is a very average game. I'm hopefully getting my graphics card tomorrow (or the young men at Centerecom will be SMITED)  and I shall build my new comp.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Play Crysis on Delta difficulty, anything less makes it a joke. Delta forces you to play well and creatively or not survive even a group of five. Add the separate powers on hotkeys so that you don't need to keep opening the menu every time you want to switch between them. You'll love it. Otherwise it's a bland shooter that plays like any other shooter and you can rush in groups of enemies or behind some cover and pick them off one by one. Not great. Also search for tweaked config files, you can make it a lot prettier than the in-game settings allow you to.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vidiot
@Al3xand3r said:
" Play Crysis on Delta difficulty, anything less makes it a joke. Delta forces you to play well and creatively or not survive even a group of five. Add the separate powers on hotkeys than require the opening of the menu to switch between them. You'll love it. Otherwise it's a bland shooter that plays like any other shooter and you can rush in groups of enemies and pick them off one by one. Not great. "
Thanks. I'll try that next time. Although, I do like feeling like a bad-ass and being able to run into camps and just blow them away. 
Although again, I really like the predator/prey thing it has going for it, assessing the situation and then choosing how your going to break it down. I think I'm at the halfway point, and there have been some really good examples of this. Have to see how the rest unfolds.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

I don't like Crysis. I really don't see why it got such high scores from a lot of sites. Granted, the game looks great but it fails in what it's meant to be, a game.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vidiot
@eroticfishcake: Seems to be the general consensus from a lot of people online. I kinda went deaf regarding paying attention to this game, with a "why would I care I have nothing close that could properly run it" mentality. I'm curious to see if I'm persuaded to a different conclusion.
Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kblt

I'm completely unable to spot any kind of anti-aliasing in your pic.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Hey try crysis more than once, the first time most ppl play it like call of duty 4 and hate it. However when you get creative and stuff, the game is fun. How to be creative with crysis?  (might as well ask what sort of rez your running your games at)

cloak all the time, play it like a stealth game, grab the koreans on their neck and throw them at each other. 

Use speed mode, run past your enemies, past jeeps, shoot out the gas tank, ka-boom. You can flank and you can use hit and run tactics, 

Strength mode, guess what you can use strength mode to improve your accuracy and turn your acog scope and rifle into a sniper rifle. By using strength, you don't have any recoil. Try that. Jump to high places or over ppl, jeeps ect. 

change your weapon on the fly, try different combos for your weapons, really adds to the gameplay. 

If you do that, you will always have the edge on your enemies and really can choose how to take them out. It makes it a bit of a sandbox game and it's fun that way. Also yes crysis on very high is the benchmark because of realism and subtle details, no other game can have the detail crysis has for screenshots. Now try other games like dragon age orgins, resident evil 5 on the pc, ect and rts games if you know how to. Good luck and I hope in time you have alot of fun with pc gaming.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bobdaman18

Well congrats on your new pc.  I had fun messing around with crysis and its cool to show off to people but i've never felt compelled to complete it.  I know everyone is throwing games at you that they want you to play but I'm going to throw in some suggestions as well.  I second Dragon Age as being a really good time if you like rpg's.  Also you could check out Sins of a Solar Empire.  Its a really good rts game thats kind of like a tbs.  Overall, have fun.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vidiot
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" Hey try crysis more than once, the first time most ppl play it like call of duty 4 and hate it. However when you get creative and stuff, the game is fun. How to be creative with crysis?  (might as well ask what sort of rez your running your games at)

Thanks for the suggestions. 
As for my resolution, I'm currently playing on my 16:9 HD monitor, so 1360x768. I'm contemplating getting a specific computer monitor for it, although I'm not jumping up and down for it.

@Bobdaman18:
You have no idea how much I want to play Dragon Age Origins, yet sadly it's going to have to wait for Christmas. 
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@vidiot: Yeah I would totally recommend a better monitor because with a higher resolution, you get more pixels on screen and it looks way sharper. I have a pc screenshot thread, there are alot of examples. When you get that one day, you will realise what you were missing. I say 1680X1050 or 1080p is a good enough resolution. It really makes a difference.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vidiot
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" @vidiot: Yeah I would totally recommend a better monitor because with a higher resolution, you get more pixels on screen and it looks way sharper. I have a pc screenshot thread, there are alot of examples. When you get that one day, you will realise what you were missing. I say 1680X1050 or 1080p is a good enough resolution. It really makes a difference. "
It's being considered. I really need a bigger desk :P
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
@vidiot: Maybe it's just me but I just thought the gameplay wasn't very exciting, especially the whole zero-gravity thing everyone was yappin' about. I was quite enjoying it until the aliens came in which case it was just a simple matter of run and gun to me. Maybe I was playing it wrong but I tried and I tried but I never liked it at all. What's worse, I got to the last boss until I discovered a bug. I cannot kill the boss. He just sits there, doing nothing. : /

I got so fed up with it I gave my copy to my friend. A week later, my cousin (who works for EA) sent me the Collecter's Edition of Crysis. Must be a sign...
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By thatfrood

Crysis is pretty fantastic. I haven't played it in awhile, I wonder if they've released that "ultra high" mode yet. Apparently the alpha version had better graphics than the one they sold, so they were going to release the alpha-graphics later when pcs got better.
But no, the writing is bad but it isn't so bad it's glaring. The dialogue is actually pretty fine, obviously no one's going into it thinking it'll be fantastic. I don't see how critiquing the writing is a valid critique cuz, yeah, of course it's sub-par.
But it's a very clean, fun game. I remember when I played multiplayer I'd juggle between fast and strength mode. I'd sprint quickly to people, go strength and punch them, and then they dead. It was hilarious.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gargantuan

Don't understand why people dislike the gameplay in Crysis. I love it. It's great fun creeping around in jungles and doing creative and intricate plans to kill some korean dudes. 
Stealth+remote bombs=fun for the whole family.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vidiot
@ThatFrood said:
" Crysis is pretty fantastic. I haven't played it in awhile, I wonder if they've released that "ultra high" mode yet. Apparently the alpha version had better graphics than the one they sold, so they were going to release the alpha-graphics later when pcs got better. But no, the writing is bad but it isn't so bad it's glaring. The dialogue is actually pretty fine, obviously no one's going into it thinking it'll be fantastic. I don't see how critiquing the writing is a valid critique cuz, yeah, of course it's sub-par. "
If your expectations are set low, then yes it won't be glaring. 
I don't operate like that. When something obvious happens and the characters bumble around like that, it's pretty bad. You can have a fun great looking game with writing that follows logical conclusions. It's not that difficult, we see it all the time. What's on display here is a bunch of dialog ripped from movies masquerading as something edgy. It's more dorky than compelling, and breaks the experience to me. When the dialog that I pointed out was uttered during the beginning of the game, I laughed out loud due to it's absurdity.

I'm curious about this Ultra High mode thing. I assume after selecting that over Very High your computer blasts off into space. Regardless, things are getting high.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thatfrood
@vidiot:  Well, I dunno, what you pointed out didn't seem very bad at all. Dumb, but not offensively dumb. MW2 has its characters saying some pretty dumb stuff and I just don't pay attention because, again, to enjoy anything you kind of have to let it take you where it's going. I agree that if the story telling is so bad that you just can't suspend your disbelief and go along with it then the writers suck, but I don't really have trouble suspending my disbelief and imagining a world where some generic meathead soldier says something stupid.
But no, yeah, I agree, the plot is dumb. But it's Hollywood dumb. You'd agree that if someone were to watch GI:Joe Rise of Cobra and then leave the theater and then say "I can't believe x, y, and z."... it's kind of unnecessary. I would go so far as to say calling out Crysis for bad writing is worthy of the same "thank you captain obvious" you criticized it with.

Yeah, I'm totally curious about the ultra high mode too now, though. I looked at some videos, apparently when the chopper shoots at you the bullets kick up dirt chest high and the explosions are so much better. I want it.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vidiot
@ThatFrood: It's just a difference of opinion. I simply hold the writing in my games to higher standards. It's alright to have a dumb plot, but the writing though here has been getting continually atrocious. It's like it's not even trying. No, the same thank you captain obvious complaint cant be reapplied, because aside from it's pretty visuals, like I stated before: I knew next to nothing about the actual context of the game. 
I hated GI: Joe Rise of Cobra. 

I've been looking at some awesome visual mods for Crysis, I think I'm going to try a few today.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Most ppl hyping configs are those who runs it with XP and service packs 3 running it on high settings, that's why they need configs just like how they need configs with oblivion because they are not happy with their limitations. They don't know what is missing and how directX10 is a different api with different graphical settings. Crytek isn't going to release a patch that would enable more higher settings, those settings doesn't exist, rather it was an early build for the trailers. Very high is the highest mode the graphics can go to, there isn't an ultra mode yet. Alot of ppl will tell you their configs looks better, however configs are basically high settings, reconfigured with code. It's better than high settings at least, however it wouldn't look as realistic as very high. You need vista or windows 7 to get very high settings, it's blocked off for those with XP. Ultra settings might be just another one of those configs, I heard of the name. You will be missing stuff like parrellax occultion mapping, which makes the ground look 3d and rocks too, like fake tesstalation. Also the textures would be alot more washed out and dull without it, it's just a dull green for the trees, not highlights, nothing. Soft shadows was also another feature that doesn't exist on high settings or with configs.

There was another forum before that disagreed with me, so we put all screenshots of every config vs vista or windows 7's very high. Very high settings won by quite alot of the votes. Also the difference with crysis warhead is everyone can now use the highest setting call enthusist, even if the textures are a total downgrade. My point is there is no such mode higher than very high right now, that is what crysis is suppose to look like.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Geno
@vidiot said:   

In regards to it's visuals, yes it's pretty. Yet at the same time, I feel strange. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 might not run, or have all the little visual tweaks that Crysis has at once, but there's a part of me that feels like they give this game quite the run for it's money. Perhaps it's unfair to compare a game from 2007 to today, but seeing the over-the-top nature of pointing to Crysis as the benchmark for your PC, I can't seem to shake off this feeling. Don't get me wrong. When you see a vista in Uncharted, you can't run to it. Technically they are built completely differently, and of course are incomparable mechanically. But I still can't shake off the feeling. 

I feel the same way. I also have a PC capable of playing Crysis at max, yet I found the graphics incredibly mediocre. In 2007 perhaps it would've been pretty astonishing (I just went back and ran a Lost Planet benchmark that apparently blew people away at the time; it looked like crap even at max). Right now I think any console game beats it. Yes Crysis has higher res, but Crysis doesn't look good at high res. Textures look flat and bland, wood looks messed up, and character models only look average. Most of the console ports or cross platform games released recently look significantly better than Crysis to me. I think the sole reason that it's still used as a high target for benchmarks is because it gets such notoriously bad fps due to bad optimization; so graphics cards are tested to see if they have enough muscle to simply brute force through Crysis, which is not necessarily an indicator to its graphical quality. 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Diamond
@HitmanAgent47 said:

Very high is the highest mode the graphics can go to. Alot of ppl will tell you their configs looks better, however configs are basically high settings, reconfigured with code.

Not true, you can set a few variables higher than very high.  Some LOD settings, flashlights casting more shadows (computer controlled flashlights and muzzle flares casting shadows off the environment isn't enabled on very high, for example).  Could be some other stuff I'm not really aware of.  Otherwise it's a lot of tweaks, I changed my SSAO settings because I didn't like the way they looked by default or in any mods.

To be specific, since you've debated it with someone else before, and don't believe it, here are some examples :

i_lighteffectShadows = 3  ;the AI flashlights / muzzle flashes will cast shadows (default is 0 or 1), I leave it off anyways for the framerate difference
I'm not sure about very high settings, but I know the water can be at least tweaked very nicely

Also, stuff like this will increase the visibility of environment details beyond very high :
e_view_dist_ratio = 60
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio = 1.45
e_cull_veg_activation = 50
g_tree_cut_reuse_dist = 0.35
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thatfrood
@HitmanAgent47: 
http://www.crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=13790
You'll notice it is a post by a Crytek staff member.
 I'm not saying it is better than very high, but I'm saying that it is the ultra high mode I was talking about, and that it does, in fact, exist. I don't know why people piss on Crysis, but whatever. It's a quality game.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox
@vidiot: Dude. I suggest STALKER Call of Pripyat (English version out in January). It's pretty demanding like Crysis, and some argue which looks better and more cohesive.

Without mods Crysis is nothing but graphics -- I prefer gameplay. I've never seen the appeal to Crysis other than for graphical reasons alone. It's Far Cry with prettiness and a power suit that feels like an afterthought.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thatfrood

Now Stalker... HELL yes. MrKlorox knows what he is fucking talking about. That is a game I can get behind easily. I hope pripyat turns out to be good, if not though, just get the original and install the complete mod.
Absolutely fucking fantastic.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By vidiot
@MrKlorox said:
" @vidiot: Dude. I suggest STALKER Call of Pripyat (English version out in January). It's pretty demanding like Crysis, and some argue which looks better and more cohesive.

Without mods Crysis is nothing but graphics -- I prefer gameplay. I've never seen the appeal to Crysis other than for graphical reasons alone. It's Far Cry with prettiness and a power suit that feels like an afterthought. "
I've heard some neat stuff about Stalker. I remember glancing at it years ago when HL2 was announced, I remember that game was pushed back all over the place. I'll check it out very soon.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox
@vidiot: Good deal. If getting STALKER SoC (I saw it for $5 at a black friday sale somewhere) you should get the Stalker Complete 2009 megamod (oh, it looks like ThatFrood linked it). It makes the game closer to what it was supposed to be before THQ forced them to release it. Clear Sky is better and looks much more amazing, but it still doesn't compare to Call of Pripyat in gameplay. In what other game can you come across and subsequentially loot the corpse of one Gordon Freeman?

EDIT: Oh, that sale was at Best Buy. You can get SoC for $5 on disc through Saturday.
Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aska

I find the Crysis hating a bit strange.   I thought Crysis played absolutely awesomely, it feels really good and it was one of the funnest shooters I had played in awhile.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By Hamst3r
@vidiot said:
Yet at the same time, I feel strange. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 might not run, or have all the little visual tweaks that Crysis has at once, but there's a part of me that feels like they give this game quite the run for it's money."

I believe the key factor is: Real-time everything vs. some pre-calculated and baked-in stuff. According to Crytek, Crysis is all-real time all the time where as I'm guessing Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 are not. Everything real-time definitely has it's downsides. :D
Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#29  Edited By Lazyaza
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vidiot
@Hamst3r said:
" @vidiot said:
Yet at the same time, I feel strange. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 might not run, or have all the little visual tweaks that Crysis has at once, but there's a part of me that feels like they give this game quite the run for it's money."
I believe the key factor is: Real-time everything vs. some pre-calculated and baked-in stuff. According to Crytek, Crysis is all-real time all the time where as I'm guessing Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 are not. Everything real-time definitely has it's downsides. :D "
Absolutely, which magnitudes my confliction. Like I said, the technical aspects don't match up at all. CryEngine is specifically built for large dense environments. Everything is real time: a whole island mass complete with indoor environments and outside vista's, all real time, all seamless. Throw in particle effects and a plethora of visual flairs all over the place, CryEngine is a technical achievement. 

At the same time, Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2, from a sheer visual experience (key term here, nothing mechanical is comparable.) comes close, if not accomplishes the same effect. Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2's vista's might be made by advanced 3D skybox techniques, versus full blown explorable terrain, but the same visual umph that I probably would have appreciated back in 2007, has been...negated a bit.

@Lazyaza said:
" Their is a massive community that is still making mods for Crysis here: 
http://www.crymod.com/filebase.php?sid=c266386e20854c2f7bf65831dac00a55   I check it every other week, some great single player and multiplayer maps and tonnes of game mods.   I cant wait for the guys making the Mech Warrior mod to finally release it. "
Did you just say Mech Warrior?!!!!! YES! YES!
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vidiot
@MrKlorox:See, this is why the community fucking rocks. I'll head down to Best Buy tomorrow. Thanks.