billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By billyhoush
No Caption Provided

I'm producing a new youtube show that reviews budget priced titles for people on a student budget. I decided on this because it's low cost and simply manageable enough to release content at least once a week while finishing up my degree as a full time student.

The setup is quite easy: I'm using an Elgato Game Capture HD to record and a H4N zoom mic for the voice over. My buddy Cam is the main cohost but we will occasionally feature guests.

Here is the first episode:

Any feedback such as production and cheap game suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm new to this. I can answer questions too for people curious about making "Let's Plays."

Thanks for watching!

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By billyhoush
No Caption Provided

I'm producing a new youtube show that reviews budget priced titles for people on a student budget. I decided on this because it's low cost and simply manageable enough to release content at least once a week while finishing up my degree as a full time student.

The setup is quite easy: I'm using an Elgato Game Capture HD to record and a H4N zoom mic for the voice over. My buddy Cam is the main cohost but we will occasionally feature guests.

Here is the first episode:

Any feedback such as production and cheap game suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm new to this. I can answer questions too for people curious about making "Let's Plays."

Thanks for watching!

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By 9cupsoftea

That was surprisingly good. You guys sound pretty natural but not amateur, and I liked the editing - good idea to make it short.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By billyhoush

Thank you! I had 45min of footage and the first cut was 12 minutes. We both agreed to focus on making the videos 5 minutes or less. I'm still a little over our mark but hope to make the next episode ~5min.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Good job, I was expecting this to be shit and it is far from that.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wrighteous86

I've wanted to do things along these lines, but it seems like the GB community isn't very responsive. Even when Hamst3r does it he barely gets any comments, and he's a pretty popular user. Then again Hizang can fart out a video of him talking about what game he played last week and somehow get 50 responses. So I dunno. Yours was pretty good though; you've got some talent.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

Was probably the choice of game more then anything, but I turned it off a few min in. Still I can see it being good with the right game. Keep at it. It can only improve with time.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fattony12000

Get your dad in on these.

spykereightsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By spykereightsix

Not bad at all! Keep it up!

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By billyhoush

@Wrighteous86: You should totally make videos if you are remotely interested and not worry about getting a response. I know there is a sea of these on YouTube which have the same shtick but I'm really just out to have some fun.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By billyhoush

@Fattony12000 said:

Get your dad in on these.

Shhh!! It's coming...I figured out how to get the HD Game Capture working with iOS devices. Baba + iPad = hilarity.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zombie2011

That was really good, i'll keep watching.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By C0V3RT

Not trying to piggy back on what others have said, but I had pretty low expectations and thought it was really well done. You and your buddy have a good rapport which made it seem like everything came natural. Nothing seemed forced. Good production quality. I'll for sure subscribe.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@spykereightsix said:

Not bad at all! Keep it up!

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By billyhoush

@C0V3RT: I'll relay the message to my buddy Cam.

Holy smokes! I just finished this episode today and I already want to start on the next one. Thanks again for the encouraging words! :)

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By billyhoush

Question: Do you guys think the episodes need some sort of music on top or is the game audio and voice over enough?

Also, do you think the show would benefit from having a camera on our faces in the corners?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jams

@billyhoush said:

Question: Do you guys think the episodes need some sort of music on top or is the game audio and voice over enough?

Also, do you think the show would benefit from having a camera on our faces in the corners?

NO MUSIC! That's the fucking worst! You also don't need camera's. At least not for this type of video. Nobody really needs to see you face while you play a game, I think it would distract people from the game too much.

I think you did a great job by the way. I have a Zoom H4N too and I'm happy it turned out good! Zoom represent!

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By billyhoush

@Jams: Thanks! Yeah, my initial feelings were not to have face cams and I thought a layer of music on top would make it even harder to listen in on the commentary. I just got a few people suggesting it so I thought I would ask you guys.

The H4N is the best piece of production equipment I own. It's a beast!