Posted by billyhoush (1188 posts) -

I'm producing a new youtube show that reviews budget priced titles for people on a student budget. I decided on this because it's low cost and simply manageable enough to release content at least once a week while finishing up my degree as a full time student.

The setup is quite easy: I'm using an Elgato Game Capture HD to record and a H4N zoom mic for the voice over. My buddy Cam is the main cohost but we will occasionally feature guests.

Here is the first episode:

Any feedback such as production and cheap game suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm new to this. I can answer questions too for people curious about making "Let's Plays."

Thanks for watching!

#1 Posted by billyhoush (1188 posts) -

I'm producing a new youtube show that reviews budget priced titles for people on a student budget. I decided on this because it's low cost and simply manageable enough to release content at least once a week while finishing up my degree as a full time student.

The setup is quite easy: I'm using an Elgato Game Capture HD to record and a H4N zoom mic for the voice over. My buddy Cam is the main cohost but we will occasionally feature guests.

Here is the first episode:

Any feedback such as production and cheap game suggestions would be much appreciated as I'm new to this. I can answer questions too for people curious about making "Let's Plays."

Thanks for watching!

#2 Posted by 9cupsoftea (652 posts) -

That was surprisingly good. You guys sound pretty natural but not amateur, and I liked the editing - good idea to make it short.

#3 Posted by billyhoush (1188 posts) -

Thank you! I had 45min of footage and the first cut was 12 minutes. We both agreed to focus on making the videos 5 minutes or less. I'm still a little over our mark but hope to make the next episode ~5min.

#4 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Good job, I was expecting this to be shit and it is far from that.

#5 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

I've wanted to do things along these lines, but it seems like the GB community isn't very responsive. Even when Hamst3r does it he barely gets any comments, and he's a pretty popular user. Then again Hizang can fart out a video of him talking about what game he played last week and somehow get 50 responses. So I dunno. Yours was pretty good though; you've got some talent.

#6 Posted by crusader8463 (14326 posts) -

Was probably the choice of game more then anything, but I turned it off a few min in. Still I can see it being good with the right game. Keep at it. It can only improve with time.

#7 Posted by Fattony12000 (6375 posts) -

Get your dad in on these.

#8 Posted by spykereightsix (78 posts) -

Not bad at all! Keep it up!

#9 Posted by billyhoush (1188 posts) -

@Wrighteous86: You should totally make videos if you are remotely interested and not worry about getting a response. I know there is a sea of these on YouTube which have the same shtick but I'm really just out to have some fun.

#10 Posted by billyhoush (1188 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

Get your dad in on these.

Shhh!! It's coming...I figured out how to get the HD Game Capture working with iOS devices. Baba + iPad = hilarity.

#11 Posted by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

That was really good, i'll keep watching.

#12 Posted by C0V3RT (1189 posts) -

Not trying to piggy back on what others have said, but I had pretty low expectations and thought it was really well done. You and your buddy have a good rapport which made it seem like everything came natural. Nothing seemed forced. Good production quality. I'll for sure subscribe.

#13 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1678 posts) -

@spykereightsix said:

Not bad at all! Keep it up!

#14 Posted by billyhoush (1188 posts) -

@C0V3RT: I'll relay the message to my buddy Cam.

Holy smokes! I just finished this episode today and I already want to start on the next one. Thanks again for the encouraging words! :)

#15 Posted by billyhoush (1188 posts) -

Question: Do you guys think the episodes need some sort of music on top or is the game audio and voice over enough?

Also, do you think the show would benefit from having a camera on our faces in the corners?

#16 Posted by Jams (2956 posts) -

@billyhoush said:

Question: Do you guys think the episodes need some sort of music on top or is the game audio and voice over enough?

Also, do you think the show would benefit from having a camera on our faces in the corners?

NO MUSIC! That's the fucking worst! You also don't need camera's. At least not for this type of video. Nobody really needs to see you face while you play a game, I think it would distract people from the game too much.

I think you did a great job by the way. I have a Zoom H4N too and I'm happy it turned out good! Zoom represent!

#17 Posted by billyhoush (1188 posts) -

@Jams: Thanks! Yeah, my initial feelings were not to have face cams and I thought a layer of music on top would make it even harder to listen in on the commentary. I just got a few people suggesting it so I thought I would ask you guys.

The H4N is the best piece of production equipment I own. It's a beast!