• 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by BlaineBlaine (460 posts) -

There's no shortage of hate for Michael Pachter. Usually it's just because he's saying something bad about a company people care about. My issue with him is beyond that. I'm a banker. I'm not licensed so I don't sell securities, but I'm in an affluent area so I have to maintain at least a base knowledge of what is going on. So I've read what he says outside of games.

The man is a psychic. Not to say he can predict the future, but he utilizes the same tricks that Silvia Brown and Gary Spivey do. He always has a caveat, so that in retrospect he can claim a hit regardless of what happens. Take the Facebook IPO.

He trashes Zuckerberg for wearing a hoodie. Says it will undercut confidence and that a proper CEO would wear a suit. He predicts grey days... and then sneaks in it will hit it's $44 target. Which it soooo didn't.

So if the IPO goes sour, he called it! It was the hoodie. And if the IPO goes well, he called it!

I recognize the Giant Bomb crew has a soft spot for him, which is fine, but for what he is... 10 minutes before he came on the show they were lancing marketing people who are good at their job, but don't care about games. Talking about how awful they are. That's the recipe for Pachter!

He is their sacred cow. Which is fine. I guess I'm just bummed that he has his own standard. It's financial astrology and any time he does try and talk games he sounds foolish. "I'm thinking... Crazy Taxi?"

In conclusion, there are valid reasons to dislike him. It is not drinking Hatorade.

#2 Posted by mhd420 (14 posts) -

I like Pachter for the same reason I like the rest of the crew, I think they all have idiotic opinions about things but they are funny or interesting while doing it. I think going to a podcast for straight up facts is just asking for trouble, because a podcast without healthy amounts of opinion don't exist.

#3 Posted by EXTomar (4530 posts) -

Pachter is just a guy with an opinion. It is not worth getting upset because some guy has an opinion on some topic.

#4 Posted by mhd420 (14 posts) -

As a side note, making fun of Pachter over his infamous Wii HD prediction has been a running joke for a couple of years, you just don't have people calling him out on shit during podcasts because that would be awkward as hell.

#5 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

You are thinking way too much.

#6 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

If you're on banking then you're familiar with hedging. What he's doing is hedging his guesses so he makes out no matter what.

#7 Posted by Ares42 (2591 posts) -

You've misunderstood why people have him on gaming shows. Noone actually cares about his job, or what he does professionally. He's just "a guy", and a pretty friendly one too. They just like him for his shennanigans and the fact that his job is in the industry only means that they have something in common to talk about. Just never ever take anything he says in public seriously, his actual predictions etc are pretty much only shared with his clients.

#8 Posted by Jimbo (9776 posts) -

Sounding like you know what you're talking about is often a more valuable skill than knowing what you're talking about. It can also become a self-fulfilling prophecy if you can convince enough people to listen to you.

#9 Posted by Kazona (3060 posts) -

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Commenting negatively on Zuckerberg wearing a hoodie and predicting that Facebook will hit its target are two wholly seperate matters. One is an opinion regarding a man's stylistic choice, and the other a prediction about the financial success of a company.

As for them bashing marketing people, first of all I'd like to point out that Michael was in the room while they were doing that. Secondly, they were talking about the kind of PR people who pretend that they are completely into games; that they are just as big a fan as we are. I heard the talk with Pachter, and he is not that kind of man. He readily admits that he is not knowledgable about game, but he does know his stuff when it comes to market trends and financial matters. And no, he doesn't try to cover his ass by throwing in a caveat. When he talked about Nintendo, he made it very clear that he believes the Wii U will not be a success, and that they will continue to lose money. He even went as far as saying that he will actively advise against buying stock in Nintendo. I really don't see that as a man trying to cover all the angles.

The only reason why Pachter gets the hate is because he says shit that the fanboys don't want to hear. Once his little talk about Nintendo on the Bombcast goes viral, I bet Nintendo fanboys everywhere will make forums explode with their seething, irrational, hatred because that vile man dared to talk negatively about their precious Nintendo.

I have the utmost respect for Pachter. His predictions aren't always a hundred percent on the money (seriously, which analyst is always right?), but he has the balls to come right out and say it, even if it draws the ire of whiney, snot nosed, fanboys.

#10 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Yeah...I just think he seems like a cool dude

#11 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

yeah, people think he is a god or somthing. i really like him. he's funny and has alot of insight on the industry. at the same time he's kinda lame. but i like him.

#12 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

RTS' are normally single player turn based experiences and no one has a PC more powerful than a PS3, don't you know.

Magic 8 Balls are just as effective as he is.

#13 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Pachter has a different perspective on the industry and gels well with the crew. That makes him a valuable guest.

Half the time I don't agree with the opinions of the regular Bomb squad. Doesn't make me upset or anything - it's still entertainment and it's all just opinion.

#14 Posted by TheKing (824 posts) -

Pachter seems to think that if you disagree with him you're a fanboy. At least that's how he came off on yesterdays e3 Bombcast.

#15 Posted by Noisician (77 posts) -

I like him because he brings an opinion on video games from the financial side to the table, which we never get to hear because the GB guys have no knowledge from that spectrum of the industry.

#16 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

I believe he has previously said these kind of predictions are not part of his job. He makes them for fun. Furthermore he is suprised anyone listens to him. It's kindof hard to say he'd doing anything wrong there. I'm a little tired of him at this point after watching Pach attach since it's debut.

#17 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

I love Pachter. He's got this genuine enthusiasm and an obvious acknowledgement of what he does isn't always liked by gamers.

#18 Posted by BBQBram (2206 posts) -

@mhd420: Uncle Dolan has come to Giant Bomb?! Is there no rest for the wicked?!

#19 Posted by cmblasko (1138 posts) -

I like him, but I don't take everything he says very seriously. I appreciate the point of view he brings to discussions.

#20 Posted by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

Pachter is one of my favorite guests on the Bombcast.

#21 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

Pachter is a pretty cool dude, I enjoy listening to him ramble on. Jaffe on the other hand.. bleh.

#22 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4611 posts) -

@emergency said:

Pachter is a pretty cool dude, I enjoy listening to him ramble on. Jaffe on the other hand.. bleh.

I feel like Jaffe and Pachter on the same couch would be a recipe for a fascinating discussion. Industry veteran that speaks no bullshit and a financial analyst who, again, speaks no bullshit. One of the highlights from the day zero bombcast was hearing Pachter let it rip on Nintendo. You can hear a distinct difference between Pachter the Funny Guy and Pachter the Analyst. I like both of those dudes.

#23 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I skipped through him on the Bombcast.

#24 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4934 posts) -

Opinions...

#25 Posted by Ghostiet (5228 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:

RTS' are normally single player turn based experiences and no one has a PC more powerful than a PS3, don't you know.

I don't even mind his predictions. It's stupid shit like this.

I mean, the Bomb crew is often wrong about stuff, but they have never reached this level. I don't think they will.

#26 Edited by Jams (2960 posts) -

I liked what he had to say on the bombcast. I really liked how he just tore into Neogaf. People on that site rip into him like he was their boss that showed them a video of him sleeping with their mother, sister, girlfriend and grandma at the same time then proceeding to fire them.

If he says stupid shit, then he says stupid shit. Big deal. No need to wet your panties about it.

Edit: I just remembered what I liked about what he said about Nintendo. How he said the people that bought the Wii who were grandmas, mothers, tween girls who bought it for Guitar Hero are not going to buy the WiiU. They're pretty much done with that. And if you think about it, that's what drove the sales of the Wii for a long time. Now they've apparently spent all the money they made to make this stupid little tablet and attached it to a Wii version 1.7. The only people who are going to buy that are probably just going to be die hard Nintendo fans and miscellaneous gamers. If you ask me it'll probably end up like the Gamecube. So I agreed with what he had to say about that.

#27 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I think he's funny and he brings some interesting views on the industry and stuff like that. 
 
But being funny is one of the main reasons I can listen to him.  
Like that part where he talked about NeoGAF and their users like they matter at all, that was hilarious! 

#28 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

Why do you care about the business side of Pachter? I just like him because he's a fun guy to have on the couch for some banter and general silliness

#29 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

He's a cool guy, up there with Jeff Green for the "Awesome Dad" award. And he's totally right about the WiiU, that thing is gonna sink!

#30 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

The guys right about Nintendo, The 3DS isnt selling shit and neither will the Wii U. You dont get many chances in this economy at the moment, my sister loves the Wii, but if she had the choice of a New Wii U or a iPad it would be the iPad.

#31 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1096 posts) -

Pachter trolling NeoGAF was the best part of the Day 0 Livecast.

#32 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

@rebgav said:

Pachter does his show and these other podcasts to maintain public awareness (Pachter, Wedbush, Videogames!) and so is usually more than happy to speculate on just about anything or flat-out troll you if that works better. He's a good guest because of that. They don't bring him on to give sound financial advice nor because anyone thinks that he's presentient. He's entertaining and he's willing to play along (and able to put up with the whiny, butthurt aftermath.)

His constant harping on NeoGaf in that session tells me he's lost all ability to "put up with the whiny, butthurt aftermath". He sounded like a broken man.

#33 Posted by chilibean_3 (1626 posts) -

I like him because he brings a different perspective to these discussions. I might not agree with his conclusions every time but he at least has people look at topics differently. Because of that I find him to be a great guest on the occasional podcast.

#34 Posted by Jayesslee (105 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

You are thinking way too much.

This.

#35 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Shuborno said:

Pachter has a different perspective on the industry and gels well with the crew. That makes him a valuable guest.

Half the time I don't agree with the opinions of the regular Bomb squad. Doesn't make me upset or anything - it's still entertainment and it's all just opinion.

I disagree with just about everything that comes out of Jeff's mouth but still love the guy.

#36 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

@BlaineBlaine:

Good Lord. You're feeding into him and his persona. You know that right?

Online
#37 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

Pachter is just a guy with an opinion. It is not worth getting upset because some guy has an opinion on some topic.

Unfortunately, a lot of people in the industry look to him as some kind of expert. The man literally has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to games half the time. I'm sure he's a wonderfully talented analyst, but as far as games go, he's no more knowledgable than your average casual gamer.

That's why I find him annoying, but I guess maybe that's not entirely his fault. He certainly doesn't do enough to refute those claims about his expertise though, so I guess he carries himself somewhat dishonestly.

#38 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Dylabaloo said:

And he's totally right about the WiiU, that thing is gonna sink!

An observation anyone even generally aware of the game industry could make.

#39 Edited by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

I used to hate Pachter and now I like him. I'm not sure when the turn around happened but the more I saw of him and the less serious I took his remarks, the easier it was just to treat him as any other games journalist even though he's not one officially. He always provides good conversation starters, so that makes him interesting to me. It's just games and his opinion might be valued more by those playing the stock market, but for the rest of us here, he's just good fun.

EDIT: for the Day 0 podcast I got my wish of hearing him crack open a beer with the boys. He just went up another rank in my book.

#40 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

You are thinking way too much.

This, I enjoyed him on the day 0 podcast just to hear some of the extreme things he was saying.

#41 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@BBQBram said:

@mhd420: Uncle Dolan has come to Giant Bomb?! Is there no rest for the wicked?!

Bram pls.

But on topic... he's a businessman. I wager he runs his life (and his business life) much as he would manage a portfolio. Options and limiting risk, and (as someone said) the latter is done by hedging. So long as you can see through that, he's entertaining and provides a foil for the generally laid-back and content-focused crew and guests. He is usually technically correct, and I sure do love the drama he stirs up. It's just fun to listen to and/or read.

#42 Posted by rachelepithet (1350 posts) -

Yeah, implying that this, of all Assassins Creed games, is the one to finally make people say, "ANOTHER fucking assassins creed?! Ughhhh..." was a bit out of left field. People seem pretty fucking excited; the mood seems more like "they're finally doing something with Assassins Creed!!!" Especially after so many sequels where we struggle to point out what the new lighting bloom tech is, or particle effects that've changed, or the Warthogs turning radius being more natural, shit like that, AC3 seems pretty damn fresh. Seems like the last game didn't do so well, I mean, they had to bundle Assassins Creed 1 with it, and GameStop had it for $20 recently. But that may just be an ODST year for their series. Looks like AC3 is poised to be a hit.

#43 Posted by Chris2KLee (2331 posts) -

I like Pachter, he's a funny guy and he has a different perspective on the industry then most people. I don't always agree with him, but I've known a ton of people in real life I have had differences of opinion with and still called friends. The Bomb crew have argued with his calls more than a few times, so it's not like they're bowing down to his judgement calls.

#44 Posted by Pr1mus (3825 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@EXTomar said:

Pachter is just a guy with an opinion. It is not worth getting upset because some guy has an opinion on some topic.

Unfortunately, a lot of people in the industry look to him as some kind of expert. The man literally has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to games half the time. I'm sure he's a wonderfully talented analyst, but as far as games go, he's no more knowledgable than your average casual gamer.

That's why I find him annoying, but I guess maybe that's not entirely his fault. He certainly doesn't do enough to refute those claims about his expertise though, so I guess he carries himself somewhat dishonestly.

Notice how every single times he starts talking about games he repeatedly says that he really doesn't know anymore about the subject that just about every other casual gamers? If people still think he's an expert on the games themselves and not just the financial side of things they have no one else but themselves to blame.

#45 Posted by Kierkegaard (582 posts) -

@Kazona said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Commenting negatively on Zuckerberg wearing a hoodie and predicting that Facebook will hit its target are two wholly seperate matters. One is an opinion regarding a man's stylistic choice, and the other a prediction about the financial success of a company.

As for them bashing marketing people, first of all I'd like to point out that Michael was in the room while they were doing that. Secondly, they were talking about the kind of PR people who pretend that they are completely into games; that they are just as big a fan as we are. I heard the talk with Pachter, and he is not that kind of man. He readily admits that he is not knowledgable about game, but he does know his stuff when it comes to market trends and financial matters. And no, he doesn't try to cover his ass by throwing in a caveat. When he talked about Nintendo, he made it very clear that he believes the Wii U will not be a success, and that they will continue to lose money. He even went as far as saying that he will actively advise against buying stock in Nintendo. I really don't see that as a man trying to cover all the angles.

The only reason why Pachter gets the hate is because he says shit that the fanboys don't want to hear. Once his little talk about Nintendo on the Bombcast goes viral, I bet Nintendo fanboys everywhere will make forums explode with their seething, irrational, hatred because that vile man dared to talk negatively about their precious Nintendo.

I have the utmost respect for Pachter. His predictions aren't always a hundred percent on the money (seriously, which analyst is always right?), but he has the balls to come right out and say it, even if it draws the ire of whiney, snot nosed, fanboys.

The problem I have with Michael is that he readily admits he doesn't play very many games and thus, not having experience, does not undersand them as well, but still offers a steadfast opinion about them. It's not about having an unpopular opinion. If you back that shit up it's fine. But he doesn't back it up.

Take Assassin's Creed III. Pachter not being interested in it because "it's an annualized franchise" would be valid if it was clear that ACIII was an also-ran sequel with no ambition. The story, setting, character, and what little we've seen of the gameplay don't back that up. AC: Revelations totally fit that concern. This doesn't. His opinion about it is founded on a false equivalent: annual franchise=poor, unoriginal game.

Pachter not agreeing with me isn't the point. The point is that, as it is his job to analyze the financial futures of companies based, in part, on their product, being better informed about the product is important. He doesn't need to play everygame, but he should know the important points about the new ones.

Yeah, his bombcast stuff is not his job; it's just him fucking around. But I'm just holding him up to the standards of claims and evidence in an argument--you don't back that shit up, you should think more before you speak.

#46 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I just want to bro down and drive boats with him.

#47 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Pachter should be viewed as an entertaining figure and not the best at predicting gaming stuff. He's a great charismatic guy and I loved him on the bombcast. What I'm trying to say is that people need to stop getting angry or offended whenever Pach opens his mouth. Either laugh with it or ignore it. It really isn't that big of a deal.

#48 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

Pachter is a great talking head. I don't really put much thought into his prognostications but as a podcast guest he's super entertaining.

#49 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

I never thought much about Michael Pachter until I heard him on some podcasts. There he comes across as genuine in his appearances, and not just as a suit. And even though not being the biggest gamer (by his own admission) that doesn't make his opinions completely invalid. So what if he's not excited about AC3? I'm not particularly excited about The Last of Us or Star Wars 1313.

I thought he did harp on a bit too long about neogaf though. Other than that I enjoyed him being on the podcast and thought he brought an interesting perspective to the show.

#50 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@EXTomar said:

Pachter is just a guy with an opinion. It is not worth getting upset because some guy has an opinion on some topic.

Unfortunately, a lot of people in the industry look to him as some kind of expert. The man literally has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to games half the time. I'm sure he's a wonderfully talented analyst, but as far as games go, he's no more knowledgable than your average casual gamer.

That's why I find him annoying, but I guess maybe that's not entirely his fault. He certainly doesn't do enough to refute those claims about his expertise though, so I guess he carries himself somewhat dishonestly.

Notice how every single times he starts talking about games he repeatedly says that he really doesn't know anymore about the subject that just about every other casual gamers? If people still think he's an expert on the games themselves and not just the financial side of things they have no one else but themselves to blame.

He did say that. Repeatedly. And I agree, that should clearly state that he isn't any kind of expert.

But I certainly didn't hear him saying that when he was sitting on GameTrailers making predictions. I certainly never heard him say that during any of his game analysis shows. I think he is aware he isn't an expert, but as far as the marketing of his persona within the industry goes, he is certainly held up as some type of authority. If he didn't carry that image, why would anyone be talking with him at all?