#1 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

Guys, I gotta watch me some Cabin in the Woods. My PS3 won't recognize that I have a movie inside. However, it runs games off the disk perfectly. I've browsed the Internet for a solution and even tried a handful of things, but nothing has worked. Most forum threads about this issue are several years old. The PS3 is fully updated and it isn't a region issue. At least it shouldn't be considering I bought both the movie and console in the US.

#2 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

I tried watching the Avengers last night on Blu Ray and my PS3 wouldn't work either. All the threads I came across were old as well. I think my drive is toast, the disc wasn't even spinning.

#3 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

@EpicSteve: Which PS3 model do you own? I have a PS3 Slim model I bought over half a year before the new PS3 Slim Model came along and it still works fine with Blu-Rays.

#4 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

wow that sucks. i would say your drive is dieing soon.

#5 Posted by handlas (2685 posts) -

Sony hit the switch on you. Time to go buy that new PS3 Super Slim!!!!

#6 Posted by Meltac (2003 posts) -

It turned into a PS2!?

#7 Posted by Aaron_G (1615 posts) -

Sony disabled your blu-ray drive, because they want you to go buy the new Super Slim PS3. I see that as the only logical answer.

#8 Posted by captain_clayman (3322 posts) -

are you using component or hdmi? I heard they made it so component wouldnt play blu-rays anymore but i could be wrong.

#9 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

@captain_clayman said:

are you using component or hdmi? I heard they made it so component wouldnt play blu-rays anymore but i could be wrong.

That sounds like bullshit. But I'm using HDMI.

#10 Posted by Aaron_G (1615 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

@captain_clayman said:

That sounds like bullshit. But I'm using HDMI.

Don't use PS3 need an update? I know some blu ray players won't play new movies without the latest firmware.

#11 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

Guys, I gotta watch me some Cabin in the Woods. My PS3 won't recognize that I have a movie inside. However, it runs games off the disk perfectly. I've browsed the Internet for a solution and even tried a handful of things, but nothing has worked. Most forum threads about this issue are several years old. The PS3 is fully updated and it isn't a region issue. At least it shouldn't be considering I bought both the movie and console in the US.

Just watched The Avengers last night on my PS3 phat.

Have you tried the official site besides the forums?

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=920

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1194

#12 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2165 posts) -

My 360 won't play any disks, that is until I bash it repeatedly with my fists/hammer. I would try that out.

#13 Posted by BlackLagoon (1448 posts) -

@captain_clayman: It more like it won't output HD resolution on analogue outputs - it should still display a downscaled SD image.

#14 Posted by TheHT (11389 posts) -

It has begun. Try cleaning the lens reader or whatever if you know how or replacing it outright. Mine started with Uncharted 3, then suddenly it was God of War 3 and any other dual-layer disc, including pretty much all of my BR movies. Now it sometimes has trouble reading single-layer discs. :'(

#15 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

@TheHT said:

It has begun. Try cleaning the lens reader or whatever if you know how or replacing it outright. Mine started with Uncharted 3, then suddenly it was God of War 3 and any other dual-layer disc, including pretty much all of my BR movies. Now it sometimes has trouble reading single-layer discs. :'(

I'll get a lens cleaner next time I'm out.

I tried reformatting the Playstation. That doesn't work.

#16 Posted by Mistzero (307 posts) -

Sorry to say this but it sounds like your bluray lens is dying on you. Better check up on the warranty coverage or fork over 100 dollars to sony to replace it for a furbished one or 130 if you want to replace it with the fat ps3.

#17 Posted by Funrush (70 posts) -

@EpicSteve said:

Do other movies work?

@AgnosticJesus said:

I tried watching the Avengers last night on Blu Ray and my PS3 wouldn't work either. All the threads I came across were old as well. I think my drive is toast, the disc wasn't even spinning.

Maybe it needs an update?

#18 Edited by trickology101 (29 posts) -

Has happened to me before, all you have to do is a firmware update of whatever is the latest.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4372 posts) -

This reminds me that I should hurry up and get a blu ray drive for my PC. I'm getting paranoid that my old 80 gig PS3 will randomly decide to take a shit.

#20 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@EpicSteve: does it recognize that the disc is in the drive(under the video tab.)

#21 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

@EpicSteve: does it recognize that the disc is in the drive(under the video tab.)

Nope.

And to other people, my console is fully updated.

#22 Posted by ajamafalous (12007 posts) -

Will it play any other Blu-ray movies?

#23 Posted by revolution3 (1 posts) -

this may be a little late for you, but something easy to try. go into settings to video, then on bd internet connection switch to confirm. when you insert a disc and it asks if you want to connect to the internet click no. the disc should start right up. I just discovered this myself, worked like a charm. good luck

#24 Posted by Rowen545 (20 posts) -

@revolution3: your advice is solid, this trick worked great

#25 Edited by littlemac69 (1 posts) -
#27 Posted by grimllock (1 posts) -

hey, i just stumbled across this thread and i am having the same problem
i have the fat model ps3, patches up to date, plays psx and ps3 games fine, will not detect blu ray disk. using hdmi on a 720p hdtv
tried everything in the above