My solution for those who fear digital distribution takeover.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By TwoOneFive

The companies who make the games should forever continue to make hardcopies of all of their games for sale at retailers that come with in a fold open box, nice cover art, and manual, exactly the way the always have and continue to do so today. They can still make digital distribution the main facet of revenue, but continue to sell the hardcopies in less quantities then they do today, making them even more desirable for all of you collectors out there who hate the idea of not having a physical medium to show your games off to friends. I would compare this to how the music industry still sells vinyls of new albums. 

Or they could just do what they are with games like Socom Confrontation. Selling plenty of quantities of the hardcopies 

? is this cool?
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive

The companies who make the games should forever continue to make hardcopies of all of their games for sale at retailers that come with in a fold open box, nice cover art, and manual, exactly the way the always have and continue to do so today. They can still make digital distribution the main facet of revenue, but continue to sell the hardcopies in less quantities then they do today, making them even more desirable for all of you collectors out there who hate the idea of not having a physical medium to show your games off to friends. I would compare this to how the music industry still sells vinyls of new albums. 

Or they could just do what they are with games like Socom Confrontation. Selling plenty of quantities of the hardcopies 

? is this cool?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

My problem with digital distribution is the problem it causes with re-sale value. I like knowing I can get 2/3 of my money back sometime down the line if I need to. That solution, while not horribly original, would probably work.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive
TooWalrus said:
"My problem with digital distribution is the problem it causes with re-sale value. I like knowing I can get 2/3 of my money back sometime down the line if I need to. That solution, while not horribly original, would probably work. "

yeah, just don't sell it to gamestop, put that on ebay or something.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

No doubtTwoOneFive said:

don't sell it to gamestop, put that on ebay or something. "
no doubt
teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By teptom

To me, nothing beats the feeling of opening the box and taking and actual disk or cartridge out of it. Then putting the game in the system. I'm not going to have that same feeling with this "takover". That sense of ownership will be gone. With stuff like Braid and other downloadable games I don't feel the same attachment that I do with the ones on the other side of the spectrum.  Your first idea woundn't be enough for me, but the second one will most likely be the way I do buy my games if and when this digital distrubution takeover comes. I just hope this option does happen.  

TheSmilingDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheSmilingDude

Materialism at it's finest! Thanks for showing your desire to use up resources and space, and giving the rest of the world more garbage in the long run! I hope your collection does compensate for you, otherwise I'd probably die laughing.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Otacon

To be honest, cheaper packaging should be used anyway. As long as I have license to re download after a reformat etc. I'm more than happy to download my games digitally.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK

didgital distribution will never be the norm simply because not everybody has your 1337 fiber optics internet connection

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Suicrat

The beauty of open markets is they are facilitators of choice.

People like me who value the experience of playing the game, and not the game's case's spine on my shelf will have more options to purchase more games directly from the producers, and old-fashioned retail supporters will continue to be able to support: the wholesalers of games, the shipping companies, the advertising companies that market these outlets to the masses, and the retailers themselves. That's fine by me.

I just hope that one day the direct nature of the digital transaction leads to a cost-savings for the consumer.

Also, SmilingDude, what is being expressed in this thread has little to do with Materialism, it's not as though people who are willing to buy video games over the internet are adhering to some sort of Platonic model of the universe in doing so.

Learn the meaning of words before you attempt to use them, please.

Nogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nogert
TheSmilingDude said:
"Materialism at it's finest! Thanks for showing your desire to use up resources and space, and giving the rest of the world more garbage in the long run! I hope your collection does compensate for you, otherwise I'd probably die laughing."

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r
Miniman said:
"crunchUK said:
"didgital distribution will never be the norm simply because not everybody has your 1337 fiber optics internet connection"
People with shit connections shouldn't be on the net, lagging the crap out of multiplayer games."
Ignorance at its finest. In a  decently coded game, the only one lagging is that guy and nobody else is affected at all. If somebody else's connection messes your game up, blame the developers, not the user.

Besides, something like 15-20GB and upwards as games are going nowadays is a hefty chunk of data even for connections that are more than capable of providing a ping of 20 or so in most decently developer online titles. It also sucks services like Steam don't have options to limit their usable bandwidth so they suck it all up leaving you unable to do much else for the duration of the download, further delaiyng the time you acquire it if you only leave it on @ night.

Digital Distribution probably won't take over 50% of the market for our lifetime, I'm fine with it but I tend to just purchase the larger titles the conventional way, and there's a reason you don't get sales numbers from the likes of Steam yet you keep hearing of the multi millions of sales retail channels achieve. it's not growing as fast as people think when it comes to normal retail games instead of the usual downloadable titles.
Dewmocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dewmocracy
TheSmilingDude said:
"Materialism at it's finest! Thanks for showing your desire to use up resources and space, and giving the rest of the world more garbage in the long run! I hope your collection does compensate for you, otherwise I'd probably die laughing."
Is this guy for real? Like, really? Shouldn't he be preaching to the plastic cup industry? Maybe the egg carton industry? The condom industry? Or any of the billion other things that actually produce a lot of garbage? What a dipshit.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf
Dewmocracy said:
"TheSmilingDude said:
Is this guy for real? Like, really? Shouldn't he be preaching to the plastic cup industry? Maybe the egg carton industry? The condom industry? Or any of the billion other things that actually produce a lot of garbage? What a dipshit."
Democracy at its finest? ;)
A desire to to use up resource and space? You got to be kidding me...