#1 Edited by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

If you ask me what genre of game is my favorite its action games specifically Beat em' ups or what beat em' ups transitioned into in the modern era of more combo focused games such as Devil May Cry. They are by far my favorite genre and by far the games I'm best at. Ninja Gaiden 2 is one of the only games that I've ever actually posted a top score in as in... top of the world leader boards. When an action game like this works well I'm so entanced in the game that the controller is no longer an thing in my hand its an exention of the character I'm controlling on the screen. So....without further ado....

10. God of War

Oh, Kratos. How angry you are. I remember distinctly getting a God of War demo disc in the mail for (I think) being a member of the Playstation Underground (remember that shit kids?) and popping it in my system. I was pretty blown away by the demo never had I seen something like the Leviathan boss battle. The music was pounding and made you feel in the moment feel like the bad-ass that they were trying to convey Kratos as. I never did fall back in love with Kratos again. Sure, I played through God of War II and God of War III and they both had their moments but I don't think they captured the lightning in the bottle that was God of War. Oh, and we can probaly all blame David Jaffe for QTE's in gaming because between this and RE4 is what made QTE's well... a thing.

9. Alien vs. Predator

Any kid that goes to Disney World has memories that will last them a lifetime. Riding Space Mountain having the shit scared out of you on Tower of Terror, getting pictures with Mickey mouse oh and riding space mountain after eating and proceeding to vomit on space mountain... the list goes on and on. Oddly enough, one of the things I so attach to these memories of going to Disney World as a kid is Alien vs. Predator. A beat-em up made by Capcom in the 90's the game let you control a variety of characters none of which (to my knowledge) are tied to the Alien fiction. Oh... they don't matter you know what matters? You can play as a Predator. And not just ONE predator two different kinds of predators. I ended up finding this game inside an arcade in Disney and was instantly drawn to it. I plopped quarter and quarter into it feeling super bad-ass as my predator dude ripping up them alien motherfuckers. I was still playing endlessly enthralled by the game when I had my world of cool interrupted by my mother telling me that we needed to leave. NO MOM I DON'T WANNA RIDE THE TEACUPS I'M KILLING ALIENS. I've only managed to find this game in arcades a few times after that and any time to this day that I see it I will go out of my way to play a few rounds.

8.Battletoads

Hey Battletoads, fuck you. No, really....fuck you. I really don't ever think I saw past the 3rd might have been 4th stage of this game. Anyone who played this game knows man.... they know pain... they know tears and suffering. Has anyone ever legit beat this game cause fuck it man I haven't met anyone. I never owned the game because well back when I had my NES I didn't get many games of my own but I sure managed to beg my mother endlessly to rent games every damn time we went to the grocery store because yes...for years my local grocery store actually rented games and movies out. Fucking weird right? Anyways it had a sweet ass toad with mucles on it and you know that motherfucker is serious because he has spikes all over what amounts to clothes. What kid in the early 90's woudln't want to play that? Nobody thats who because this is the shit you played if you wanted to be cool. Which "cool" meaning among the other 3 guys in your class that were nerds and actually talked about video games.If you don't know what battletoads is I suggest you go find a way to play it because its great you play as one of the afformentioned spiked out tough ass frog men and you go around beating the shit out of stuff. The game did feature some pretty neat mechanics though.

One such cool thing was a section early on in the first level where you ended up getting the first person perspective of I guess a mech or security robot of some sort. Screen turns red and your have to pick up objects and throw them AT the screen. Whoa crazy right?! Well back then I thought so. Today the game play might not hold up as being nearly as fun as it once was but those toads are still fucking bad-ass motherfuckers and you also still will probably NOT get past the 3 or 4th level. Playing games like this as a kid is why I can beat hard mode on most games today without batting an eyelash.

7. No More Heroes

Wii box art (cropped)

You wanna know why I own a Wii? This game right here. You wanna know why despite selling almost all my games I still have kept my Wii? Yeah, same answer. When I saw this trailer debut for this game something instantly clicked in my head the wii had all this fancy motion control and this guy basically had a rip-off lightsaber cutting dudes up. To me the dream of the wii was to get a cool ass lightsaber game. I mean that is kind of the dream right? Who doesn't want their own lightsaber? I got some of that but what is more is I got a game that I really treasure for many reasons. First off and most notebly is the characters. I've always been a big fan of Metal Gear Solid and I instantly got a MGS vibe from this game not from anything that had to do with the gameplay but because of how eccentric all the boss characters are. Each one is very different and has their own "kink" to them. Suda turned a few stereotypes on their heads as well such as Bad Girl one of my favorite characters in the game.

Yeah, I'm a cunt.

Surface level you see beauty and you see "just another sexy video game girl". In reality though Bad Girl turns that entire stereotype upside down. She is in fact a very ugly person. Her beauty only masks her true self a murderous psychopathic sadist with zero regard for life of any kind. As is pretty quickly demonstrated as she cracks bound men in gimp suits one by one in the head killing them as they fall into a pit below. Cursing, beer swilling she is the exact opposite of what you would expect to find. The rest of the cast is equally nuts often commenting and deconstructing stereotypes within gaming and gaming culture. There is a great detailed analysis here breaking down the entire plot of you want to read it. The combat while not incredibly deep again hearkens back to the fact that yo...I wanna cut dudes up with a lightsaber. Suda however doesn't make the waggle the focus of the game but yet the punctuation that you end a fight with. Its a smart move that make playing on the Wii controls probably the more preferable way to play even though you can totally buy No More Heroes Paradise and play with a Dual Shock now.

6. Ninja Gaiden 2

This was a game I was seemingly waiting forever to get a hold of. I remember some retailers leaked it early and I stayed up for hours one night watching a half busted Justin.tv stream where a guy was playing through the game. I was excited and well... it (mostly) lived up to the hype. I'm not going to lie the game had issues and major ones. Frame rates came to a halt in some areas other random glitches abounded it was obviously clear that this was not Team Ninja's best work. And then like clockwork not soon after the game was released Tomonobu Itagaki left team ninja. Team Ninja who was pretty infamous for delaying games multiple times until they felt that they got it "right" let one slip through and after Itagaki's departure the picture became clear. Despite a rather troubled development cycle with a team that was under constant strife from in-fighting a decent product still emerged.

The combat system was changed I won't say for the better because honestly to me Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden 2 feel very different. The pacing is different. While NG and NGB were fast paced games they were also lower enemy counts and more of a slightly passive or defensive playing game. In Ninja Gaiden 2 offense is your defense. Obliteration Tenchniques were introduced and the importance of abusing the holy hell out of invincibility frames on higher dificulties to survive was key. The game was pretty unforgiving at higher difficulties and I'll admit kinda unbalanced but that still didn't dissuade me from beating some of the harder settings the game had to offer. As much negativity as I've talked in this article about it I really do love the game. Its the last mark Itagaki left on Tecmo and many of the ideas were improved and expanded in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 but that was a direct result of the work Itagaki and the team that left with him did. It still also ranks among the goriest of games that I've ever played. If Ryu sneezed in this game someones arm would explode. Which helped fuel the brutality of the kills. It was especially awesome whilst slicing down werewolves in venice. And as mentioned before I did a number of score runs on the game a few that got some pretty decent top of the leader board sort of scores. A fun but flawed gem. Its super cheap now so if you own a 360 you should pick this up.

5. Devil May Cry 4

So I know this game gets a ton of hate. Some people think Nero was too whiny while others just hate the backtracking. Well, fair assessment I guess. Although, you do a fair amount of backtracking in DMC 3 and DMC 1 as well...just saying. Regardless of the haters I loved this game. I mean, I really loved this game. I played it for a month straight replaying levels over and over getting "S" ranks on quite nearly every mission. I almost have every achievement outside of a few of the Bloody Palace achievements and "S" ranking a few DMD missions that I never quite got around to doing. I really thought Nero added something to the game. I called playing as nero "finger Olympics" for the simple fact that doing high level combos is a pretty insane task with him considering all of the systems in play. His "revving" mechanic for his sword and his charge gun. Which means you had to constantly be charging his gun while hitting revs with sword swings while being able to jump and use his devil bringer. Possible... but man... there was some finger contortions that happened. The cool thing was it allowed for things like this.....

Dante was equally as awesome and is arguably at his most ridiculous ever even topping some DMC 3 moments. Further innovations to Dante's fighting also led to some great combat now letting you switch styles mid-combo. I'm looking forward to whatever Ninja Theory comes out with with DmC but I'm also sort of bummed Nero was introduced and then well...sort of scrapped I guess. Another game that is also pretty damn cheap at this point and well worth checking out.

4.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

Okay, so being a kid from the 90's the Turtles HAD to make it on this list somewhere. Turtles in time is by far the best of the bunch when it comes to turtles games. The specific version I'm talking about is the arcade version. Nothing beat standing at the TMNT cabinet at the local bowling alley with 3 of your bros laying the smacketh down on some foot-soilder ass. Its also got what has to be one of the coolest soundtracks in a beat-up-up ever. Hence all the fucking outrage at all the shit that was changed in the XBLA version. I mean listen to this.

That shit is awesome. It needs to be on repeat in my brain for fucking ever. Even still at 27 years old I'll randomly just start humming the damn TMNT theme song. Also, anyone else a Donatello guy? That staff man...love that staff! Mikey's nunchacku were pretty dope as well but that staff is OP brah. The time travel setting allowed for a great deal of variety in levels too. Prehistoric level a level on a pirate ship among many others again... all with one of the best damn soundtracks man. It something that is honestly hard to put into words but it just has that quintessential "it" factor for a beat em' up. Still really fun even today although seeing a machine out in the wild is pretty rare these days.

3. Bayonetta

So, I can already hear some screams right now. I know many claim that Bayonetta is the de facto standard of combat in games like these now days. You would have a pretty good case for that as well seeing as this has the blood of a DMC game buried inside of it. I was a pretty early supporter of this game all around. Crazy witch lady with guns on her feet? Yes please. Oh, and she uses her hair for magic attacks AND her hair also acts as her clothes? Even better. Bayonetta is a example of why I still love Japanese game design. You rarely ever see such ludicrous concepts out of a western studio. Not saying that its impossible. I mean look what Saints Row 3 did for open world games. However, Japanese game developers seem to be always driven by an idea and they follow that idea all the way like a captain going down with his ship. Bayonetta was a breath of fresh air to the genre who had largely seen Kratos,Ryu Haybusa and Dante fighting it out for top dog.

The jazzy soundtrack helped accentuate Bayonetta's sensual movements through the battlefield. The combat is spot on as well. Not even some fighting games have some of the exactly frame specific timing for some moves. One of the other amazing and innovative things was the ability to strap weapons to your hands AND feet allowing you do mix and match and further personalize your playstyle. Before I put the game down for good I must have played through each section of the game dozens of times. This is the last game of its kind that I remember putting as much time into. I even at one point lost all of my save data but ended up restarting the game entirely without really caring about the loss of my data. Losing it was a bummer but it just gave me another reason to play again, to improve scores to see the crazy cut-scenes again. Speaking of crazy the level of crazy througout the game keeps getting amplified to the point where well... if you haven't played the game the final boss fight is a sight to behold I don't wan't to spoil it. The entire experience was one of the more amazing ones of this generation which is why it is up so high on my list. I REALLY hope Platinum Games gets to make a sequel to this. I would love another date with Ms. Bayonetta. Oh...and this game also had some damn catchy tunes and one of the best fucking ending sequences ever. DANCE PARTY!!!!

2. Devil May Cry 3

Devil May Cry 3 HAD to be good. If it wasn't it was going to be the end of the series as Devil May Cry 2 was such a confusing failure that it was almost surprising to see DMC 3 come out so strong. It did and it STILL holds up as one of the best games out there. If you have 30$ go buy the HD DMC collection. This game alone is worth every penny. You play as a young Dante who is about the most cocky motherfucker ever seen in a video game at this point. Mind you, Dante has always had a cocky streak but hes nearly at that "guy showing off for the ladies that you just want to punch" sort of cocky. Yet it really works for him and ends up really solidifying Dante as one of the top characters in gaming. (Well, if you ask me anyway) We are also sort of re-introduced to Vergil his brother who while is equal parts cocky is not nearly as brash flamboyant about it as his brother is. DMC 3 first introduced the "styles" system adding another layer of strategy and depth to the combat of Devil May Cry. You can turn into a clone, stop time, preform , crazy gun tricks and more. And you definitely need all of those skills as this was and as far as I'm concerned STILL is one of the hardest games out there. So hard in fact that Capcom re-released the game in North America as a "Special Editon" as the original version saw North America's "Normal" mode being equal to japan's "Hard" mode. The bosses are the real treat though fights such as Agni and Rudra or Beowulf are fantastic and really put you on pins and needles as you dodge attacks fully knowing that a wrong move could lead you to a game over screen. The climax of all these boss fights is without a doubt the duels with Vergil. They are among my favorite boss battles of all time. No gimmicks to learn its just pure combat at its best.

1. Ninja Gaiden Black

So hey, what can I say? I'm a Ninja Gaiden kind of guy. Don't get me wrong I adore every game on this list but this is my favorite game of this genre and pretty much tied with Dragon Age: Orgins as my favorite game of all time. The number of play throughs I've done at this point escape me however... its a lot. I truly believe that this has THE most balanced combat of any of any modern action game around. I remember getting Ninja Gaiden sometime many years ago. I had just ordered a Xbox off of Ebay and went to Gamestop to buy a bunch of games for the system when it arrived. I picked up a number of titles that the Xbox was known for including Fable and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. I had read good things about Ninja Gaiden but honestly didn't know exactly what it was. It was suppose to be good so I bought it.

The system arrived sometime after and I started to play the game. I quickly realized how hard the game was. Every fight I ended up using health items I could barely get to the first boss much less get close to beating him. Over the next few weeks I inched my way through the game up to stage 3. There I got stuck on the boss of that level Dynamo. I'm sure you know him if you've played the game. Big old' fat motherfucker with a huge gun. You fight him on top of a air ship traveling to the vigoor empire. The fight was kicking my ass over and over. I finally threw in the towel. I was done. I put the game on the shelf and walked away. The game stayed on my shelf for a few months after never being touched. Then one day I decided to try it again. I picked up where I left off again and yet again I was brutally rebuffed by the game. That's when I decided that I was going to do this. I wasn't just going to beat Dynamo i was going to destroy him. So I did the unthinkable I erased my save. The save I had worked on for those weeks plugging away hours of attempts.

What followed is a learning process. I learned the game I slowed down and finally understood the flow of combat I started to read enemies and learn combos wait for openings instead of just trying to mash my way through. I kept learning. I learned to use my shurikens to stun lock opponents. I learned to OLUT (on-landing ultimate technique) , I learned how you should manage essence in a fight. Sometime there after I made it to that ending screen. And you know what I did after the ending screen faded back into the title screen. I started again. This time on Hard. Then I beat hard...then very hard and finally master ninja. Like a master doling out tough love the game had taught me to be a better player and I've never felt the amount of reward that I felt when I finally beat Master Ninja on NGB. I think honestly anyone who has the patience can learn to play and beat Ninja Gaiden Black at the highest of difficulties because the game is I feel one of the most balanced games I've ever played. You can learn something from every defeat and that makes the victories so much sweeter. Ive also really grown to like Ryu Hayabusa as a character. Sure, he isn't very talkative but he doesn't need to be he slices motherfuckers up with his sword and as we all know actions speak louder than words. Its interesting and somewhat disappointing to see where the series went after this game because none of the other games come close to this level of perfection. Ninja Gaiden 2 *might* have gotten there had it not been for the troubled environment that it was developed under.

It doesn't necessarily have the same level of flash as a Bayonetta or DMC or a story that makes any sort of goddamn sense but the raw flow and feel of the combat is in my humble opinion unmatched even today. And that is why it remains as one of my favorite games of all time.

#2 Posted by wumbo3000 (930 posts) -

Cool list. I really gotta play the DMC games one of these days. As I was scrolling down, I was thinking to myself, "If this guy doesn't have Turtles in Time on this list, I am about to go ape shit." So thank for you for not making me go ape shit.

#3 Posted by YI_Orange (1123 posts) -

Please tell me you've never played God Hand. Other than Battletoads pretty good list though. I hate that game and think it's just terrible.

#4 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I'd say DMC3 > Ninja Gaiden but solid list

#5 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

Man, the Bad Girl encounter was one of my favorite parts of No More Heroes. Such a demented character concept, from the way that notions get turned on their head to the gimps getting batted at Travis to her instant kill attack.

.DO NOT HIT HER WHEN SHE IS CRYING OH GOD.

#6 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Fuck you Ninja Gaiden Black. Fuck you.

#7 Posted by Genkkaku (732 posts) -

Have you played either DMC's since playing Bayonetta? I tried replaying 4 afterwards and in retrospect the combat feels sluggish and lacking.. Also your thoughts on the upcoming DMC?

And yes Fuck Battletoads

#8 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden Black is number 1, I salute you sir. Very good list, also nice to see some love for DMC4.

#9 Posted by miva2 (225 posts) -

Good list!

I don't remember DMC3 as such a good game but damn that duel VS Vergil. The moment he finally went down, that was great. Though I like Vergil more than Dante. I'm a really big fan of bayonetta. More so than the duels with Vergil, the duels with Jeanne are one of the epicest moments of my gaming history. I had hoped Max Anarchy would be a multiplayer version of these duels (well, in the duel mode at least) but it seems to be different. Still greatly looking forward to Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy!!

Maybe I should try a Ninja Gaiden then. NMH Paradise is high on my list too!

#10 Edited by Chaser324 (6255 posts) -

Very solid list. The only one I maybe question is Ninja Gaiden II. I personally thought it was a big disappointment and suffered from a lot of camera and control issues not really present in the first.

My only real beef though is with the lack of Streets of Rage 2. I personally don't think there's another beat 'em up from that era that's better.

Moderator Online
#11 Posted by niamahai (1404 posts) -

Should I get the PS Move just for No More Heroes? Isn't the PS3 version sorta fucked?

#12 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden Black.... god.

#13 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

I'm having a hard time deciding whether you're right about DMC3 being better than Bayonetta. In my mind, Bayonetta is the best DMC game (I know it's not actually, but there's the similarity in quite a few areas, plus it's basically an inversion of DMC tropes, plus it's kind of funny to say), but then again I've played DMC3 just recently, and that game is amazing still, even in crappy low-res on my PS2. And hard as shit, too.

DMC4 is no slouch either, but isn't quite as good as either. And the way I got around the 'finger olympics' was just remapping to swap Devil Trigger with gun.

Fuck it, I'll have to play them all again.

#14 Posted by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -

@Chaser324 said:

My only real beef though is with the lack of Streets of Rage 2. I personally don't think there's another beat 'em up from that era that's better.

This man speaks truth!

#15 Posted by Rmack (1073 posts) -

I think my list would be the same, but yes, with more Streets of Rage 2. Possibly in place of Turtles in Time, as much as I do love that game.

#16 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4246 posts) -

not a bad list by any means, but mine would be terribly different.

#17 Posted by Maajin (1052 posts) -

As a PS3 owner, is it worth getting the Ninja Gaiden Sigma games? Are they different from the Xbox ones? Is it true that Sigma 2 has toned down violence?

#18 Posted by Ashuramaru (41 posts) -

Sigma games add a bunch of stuff, if you don't own the originals definitely go for the Sigma games. I didn't notice a difference in the violence in sigma 2.

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10341 posts) -

Seeing this just reminds me how much I hate the name "character action game" because it's literally the least descriptive genre name.

@Maajin: They toned down the blood, not the violence. There's actually more boss fights and stuff in Sigma 2. So far as I know, the dismemberment is still in the game, because that was a legit gameplay mechanic where enemies would fight differently after you cut a limb off.

So, I'd say yes. Well, I never actually played Sigma 2 (I played the 360 version), but GB did a Quick Look and it looked like the only differences were the lessened blood and added boss fights. Sigma 1 is totally fine though, lots of blood there.

#20 Posted by CODA117 (30 posts) -

@Demoskinos...I love that Alien vs Predator coin-op arcade game! Very few people actually remember that one. The crazy thing is I know exactly of the one you speak of at Disney World, that's the same one me and my cousin destroyed almost ten years ago there too!

#21 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -
@Genkkaku Yeah actually I spent a good number of hours with all the DMC games earlier this year when the HD collection came out. They are still pretty fun well...except for DMC 2.
#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Man, the Bad Girl encounter was one of my favorite parts of No More Heroes. Such a demented character concept, from the way that notions get turned on their head to the gimps getting batted at Travis to her instant kill attack.

.DO NOT HIT HER WHEN SHE IS CRYING OH GOD.

Indeed. The game frames everything in a very odd light. Travis isn't a hero he is a goddamned psychopath himself but then he has odd streaks of compassion at times especially when it comes to women. The ending to Holly Summer's fight still is kind of disturbing to me.

#23 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Seeing this just reminds me how much I hate the name "character action game" because it's literally the least descriptive genre name.

@Maajin: They toned down the blood, not the violence. There's actually more boss fights and stuff in Sigma 2. So far as I know, the dismemberment is still in the game, because that was a legit gameplay mechanic where enemies would fight differently after you cut a limb off.

So, I'd say yes. Well, I never actually played Sigma 2 (I played the 360 version), but GB did a Quick Look and it looked like the only differences were the lessened blood and added boss fights. Sigma 1 is totally fine though, lots of blood there.

In addition to the blood removal and the added boss fights, they also included more sections where you play as characters other than Ryu.

#24 Posted by adam1808 (1355 posts) -

The Xbox Ninja Gaiden beats out DMC4 for me. Then again anything following DMC3 was going to have a hard time. What constitutes a beat-em-up these days? That Scott Pilgrim game has to have been the latest modern interpretation of the old-style of arcade brawling.

#25 Posted by adam1808 (1355 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Most "character" action games are pretty devoid of any actual personality. The Assassin's Creed and Uncharteds of this world are more "charactery" if someone wants to take that otherwise pointless genre classification literally. At least they involve you playing as someone with an actual personality and some definite flaws and limitations to their abilities.

#26 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

@Hailinel: God, I'm still aggravated at how usless Ayane is in that game. Have you played Master Ninja with her? It is straight up DUMB how low her damage output is. Her level is by far the worst in the game. Obaba at the end of the level isnt even nearly as hard as fighting all the groups of ninjas on the way to her. Momiji is cool the concept of "air UT" was cool but overall none of them compare to Ryu although surprisingly Rachel is fairly competent in higher level play.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel: God, I'm still aggravated at how usless Ayane is in that game. Have you played Master Ninja with her? It is straight up DUMB how low her damage output is. Her level is by far the worst in the game. Obaba at the end of the level isnt even nearly as hard as fighting all the groups of ninjas on the way to her. Momiji is cool the concept of "air UT" was cool but overall none of them compare to Ryu although surprisingly Rachel is fairly competent in higher level play.

I'm not crazy/practiced enough to play that game on Master Ninja.

#28 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Question :Are the Batman Arkham games considered beat em ups? I because that would be my list except for Bayonetta I would put Arkham Asylum there.

#29 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

This is my favorite genre as well. The 3D versions anyways, I don't like 2D beat em up's very much. They just don't hold up at all.

I would disagree that DMC4 is better then NG2. While I do like the game that game could of been so much more. I'm glad you have Ninja Gaiden Black as number one. It is one of my favorite games as well, that game is so good.

#30 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan I should have put this in the original post but dammit it was 2am haha. Anyways, I think Ninja Giaden's approach to difficulty is how it should be done. They didn't just tweake some stats on the back end and call it good like so many games do. They actually completely changed enemy placement. Each difficulty is worth playing just for the simple fact that each difficulty level plays differently from the others. I think more games should take this approach.
#31 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2857 posts) -

Sweet list. Duels with Virgil were also my favorite part of DMC3. I would have put DMC1 up there personally, that game still feels fresh to me and I love the "weight" Dante has. They sped him up in later games I think, which was necessary for the combat to evolve, but there's a really great feel to that first game.

I don't know if this counts but if Battletoads is on the list.. could we include Maximo?

That was the last the game I stood up, swore at, and left the room over.

#32 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan I should have put this in the original post but dammit it was 2am haha. Anyways, I think Ninja Giaden's approach to difficulty is how it should be done. They didn't just tweake some stats on the back end and call it good like so many games do. They actually completely changed enemy placement. Each difficulty is worth playing just for the simple fact that each difficulty level plays differently from the others. I think more games should take this approach.

I know, right. That right there is one of my favorite thing about the game. No game since had done as good a job with difficulty levels, or difficulty balance in general as Ninja Gaiden Black. Most game the enemys' just gain some health but the tactics are the same. That constitutes hard mode.

That plus Mission Mode, NGB had a metric ton of content.

#33 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -
@GERALTITUDE Oh yeah I agree. The HD version holds up pretty well and fighting Nelo Angelo is amazing.
#34 Posted by Yummylee (21203 posts) -

I've never liked the look of Ninja Gaiden. I mean I can understand and appreciate the near-flawless control of the gameplay, but the aesthetic and the overall style just comes across as super-generic to me. Ryu in particular is such a boring character design. Plus from my experience in playing NG2 Sigma for the ps3, the camera is usually a riot to try and control.

I guess it's because NG games and how their appeal is so easily whittled down to pure mechanics is why they don't tickle me fancy. It's like with Vanquish and, while it had brilliant gameplay, never struck me as anything beyond OK because the general aesthetic and story was so bleh.

Ironically enough, there's also something like Bayonetta where it's all a bit too colourful and and overblown. Couldn't be bothered playing more than around an hour. Stuff like DMC and God of War definitely straddle the line just enough for me and I'm a huge fan of both, though God of War has definitely become tiresome after the 5th game of pretty much doing the exact same thing. DMC I'm still all about, though, and I'm really looking forward to the reboot.

#35 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

I've never liked the look of Ninja Gaiden. I mean I can understand and appreciate the near-flawless control of the gameplay, but the aesthetic and the overall style just comes across as super-generic to me. Ryu in particular is such a boring character design. Plus from my experience in playing NG2 Sigma for the ps3, the camera is usually a riot to try and control.

I guess it's because NG games and how their appeal is so easily whittled down to pure mechanics is why they don't tickle me fancy. It's like with Vanquish and, while it had brilliant gameplay, never struck me as anything beyond OK because the general aesthetic and story was so bleh.

Ironically enough, there's also something like Bayonetta where it's all a bit too colourful and and overblown. Couldn't be bothered playing more than around an hour. Stuff like DMC and God of War definitely straddle the line just enough for me and I'm a huge fan of both, though God of War has definitely become tiresome after the 5th game of pretty much doing the exact same thing. DMC I'm still all about, though, and I'm really looking forward to the reboot.

I see where you are coming from while the combat, controls, general design are impeccable, the art design is not the greatest. I do think it looks excellent where it counts for this sort of game. The animations look fluid and the game runs at a constant 60 frames. I also like the designs of the enemys and Ryu himself. But to each their own on that.

#36 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Good list man, but as with any top whatever list, I got to put in an obligatory "where the hell is this game??!!!" comment. So, here it goes. Ready?

Where the hell is Arkham Asylum and/or Arkham City? I thought those games were the pinnacle of beat 'em up action. Did you play them? What kept them off your list?

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -
@frankfartmouth While I enjoyed both games and the combat is fun Im not really a batman super fan or anything. And honestly the most fun part of the game to me was not the combat for me but the exploration and solving the riddled puzzles. Still, fun games but nothing I hold a everlasting affinity for.
#38 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

The thing is you don't really want to be trying to wrestle the camera when in combat. That is why they give you a reset button on the shoulders in combat you should be using that button and never using the right stick at all. The second your thumb comes off the face buttons is the second you die. Especially in harder difficulty settings. The other thing is the action is so fast paced that the camera is just going to generally have a hard time keeping up with ryu as he teleports all over the screen. And at least on NGB if you position the camera correctly enemies won't attack you off screen. Also if you've played enough you just generally get a sixth sense about what enemies are going to do.