• 53 results
Posted by Colorwind (230 posts) -

I haven’t played all the big games released this year but I’ve played a lot of them. So here are my personal top five games I’ve played in 2013 so far in no particular order. All these games are from the first four months of the year. Without further adieu, let’s get started.

Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider was my most anticipated game of 2013. For both 2011 and 2012, it was my best game of E3. It was finally released and after playing it, I can say that it was good. Really good. Lara Croft is easily the best thing about this game. The progression from a scared woman trying desperately to stay alive to a hardened survivor is extremely well done. Some feel the violence is over the top but I think it’s appropriate for the setting and circumstances. The transition to it might be weak but it’s appropriate.

The gameplay is also well done as it’s satisfying to scale walls and finish these epic setpieces. Seriously, Nathan Drake can suck it. Gunplay is also really fun, thanks to the automatic cover system (that does work) and the visceral impact the guns have. I completed it 100% because this is also one of those games that actually makes collecting all the little things fun. I’ll be honest, it may not be all that it could’ve been but it’s worth your time because it’s still a great game.

Darkstalkers Resurrection

I didn’t get to play the Darkstalkers series much when I was young because the home releases weren’t something that were popular when I was young. However, I did enjoy playing the original arcade cabinet at a pizza parlor next to the Laundromat I used to go to with my mom. While the original isn’t included here, the second game (which is more like an update to the first game) and the third game are in this collection and they both hold up after all these years.

A lot of the combat has many of the tropes that fighting games have now but in a more distilled, simple way. What is different is Darkstalkers focuses on super moves like ES and EX moves by letting your meter fill up rapidly, especially in Darkstalkers 3. The art design is also really creative and crazy making it very interesting to look at. Girls shooting fire from underneath their dresses, vampires summoning dozens of bats, bigfoot living up to his name, Darkstalkers is a blast and well worth the $15.

DmC: Devil May Cry

One of the first games of this year I played, DmC kicked off my 2013 with a bang. The fast paced and varied combat made me fall in love with this game. All of the weapons you have at your disposal with little to know consequence. The boss fights are also memorable such as the battle with the Succubus or Bob Barcas, the CNN style news pundit. However, what kept it interesting were the diverse and inspired levels.

The level design in DmC is constantly changing and evolving due to the concept of Limbo being like an alternate dimension in the real world. The club levels are especially cool and all of the levels feature a varied color palette. The story is also more substantial than it initially appears to be and the ending satisfyingly concludes the story while setting up a sequel. It makes for a game that is proficient in every one of it’s aspects and its only real problem is you wish there was more of it.

BioShock Infinite

I wasn’t into this game when I first started it. I thought the combat was meh and the story was moving too slowly. But I kept at it and the game got better and better and better until now I’m contemplating whether or not BioShock Infinite is one of the greatest games I’ve ever played. The combat gets really intense and the powers are fun to use in numerous ways that keep combat interesting. The railway combat is also well done so that it’s not too chaotic.

Obviously, the best aspect about the game is the story and art design. Columbia is beautiful in both a visually appealing way and from a graphical standpoint. Sound design is also great. I was stopped cold when I was going through a war torn portion only to find a little black girl singing a slave hymn version of CCR’s Fortunate Son. Oh and the ending. THE ENDING! One of the best endings I’ve ever seen from a game, you need to play this game, for the ending, for the world, for the gameplay, for everything.

Injustice: Gods Among Us

I did not think I was going to like this game. At least not as much as I did. What’s more is a lot of my reservations are justified. The story is dumb, the presentation is below par, the S.T.A.R. Labs mode is awful and there are several characters that are severely unbalanced (Green Lantern, Deathstroke, Doomsday). That said, the combat is SO GOOD! The mechanics are simple yet extremely deep, incorporating combos, juggling, special move priority and stage interactivity. However, none of this is overused. It’s not like Tekken who takes juggling way too far or BlazBlue with it’s insane combos.

What’s more is the characters don’t control like other characters in other fighting games. Each are truly their own characters. What’s more is the online play is pretty good at matching you with a player at your skill level. If you feel like fighting games all feel a little bit the same, you should try Injustice. You’ll love it, flaws and all.

So what are your top five games of 2013 so far? Let me know in the comments below!

#1 Posted by jimmyfenix (3832 posts) -

Metal gear revengeance - i just sliced fools in a millions of pieces!

Injustice - dat level transition

bioshock infinite - hell of a story

guacamelee - fun co-op game

Ni NO KUNI - my Favorite rpg of this generation

#2 Posted by Colorwind (230 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: I played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. I liked it too! I need to play Guacamelee and Ni No Kuni still but Gamefly just send me Ni No Kuni so I'm pumped for that!

#3 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Black Ops II
Halo 4
Sim City
Bioshock Infinite

That's it. Before anyone says anything, Black Ops and Halo have DLC in 2013 and are still active and fun in 2013, therefore they're 2013 games in my book.

#4 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

Tomb Raider destroys Bioshock Infinite, other games aren't really worthy of the conversation quite yet; though Injustice is a very good fighting game (I'd say it's better than SFIV which people seem to think was GoTY worthy, still don't agree with that though). Hurray for the first ever genuinely good and unobtrusive cover system in gaming.

#5 Edited by Yummylee (21281 posts) -

I really like Tomb Raider, but... Lara's progression from ''a scared woman trying desperately to stay alive to a hardened survivor'' was terrible. Rather it was a progression of ''some of the most distracting narrative dissonance in a game ever to then Lara narratively reaching a point where being a she-Rambo finally fits''.

#6 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@yummylee: Well at least by the end she's so scarred and fucked up and "Keep your distance then" that it sets up well for her being a psychopath in the sequel. Mathias was the real hero, Lara's just a mass murderer at this point. Can't wait till she cuts Reyes' throat in her sleep. Manhunt needs a spiritual successor!

Infinite's story is ridiculously, comically overrated; gameplay is crap. Atmosphere is superb but that doesn't solve all issues magically (and the atmosphere is superb in Tomb Raider too so /shrug).

#7 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

DmC

Sly Cooper : Thieves in Time

Bioshock : Infinite

Guacamelee

MGR or Tomb Raider

#8 Posted by i8Donuts (96 posts) -

I have only played Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, and Antichamber this year. If I had to choose my favorite one so far it would be Bioshock Infinite but I have enjoyed my time will all three. I feel like people are going to forget about Antichamber by the end of the year.

#9 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

That's all the 2013 releases I played, and they're all excellent. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is next. It's currently out-of-stock at my retailer, but it should arrive shortly. I think I'll love it. It looks like it's my kind of jig. Can't wait!

Also played Binary Domain (for pulp lovers), Bastion (gem!), and Mark of the Ninja (masterpiece - if in a patient state-of-mind), as well as roughly 1000 hrs of Guild Wars 2 (awesome, but not for me - curiously enough).

#10 Posted by Colorwind (230 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Why aren't DmC, Injustice, and Darkstalkers Resurrection worth including in the conversation of Best Games of 2013 So Far as in the first four months?

@yummylee: The story wasn't the strongest but the character development of Lara was very well done. I'll admit they botched the first time she killed someone part but the rest was great.

@spankingaddict: I'm playing Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time right now. I'm a big Sly Cooper fan and I'm enjoying it...but there's problems.

@i8donuts: I was going to include Antichamber on this list but I liked Darkstalkers Resurrection a bit more. Two completely different games though.

@seppli: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen isn't really a new game though. It's an expansion pack they're selling with the original game. I've heard good things about the original but if you own the first game, be prepared.

@jdh5153: If we're including games like Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Halo 4, then I would include Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed because I love that game and the version I played was the PC version, which came out this year. So what, are we changing the rules?

#11 Posted by Rebel_Scum (640 posts) -

Tomb Raider

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

Bioshock Infinite

#12 Edited by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -
  1. BioShock Infinite
  2. Fire Emblem Awakening
  3. Ni No Kuni

That's my best of 2013 list so far. :D

#13 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5807 posts) -

1. Fire Emblem Awakening

2. Bioshock Infinite

3. Ni No Kuni

4. Etrian Odyssey IV

Those are all the games I've played so far this year, apparently. I've actually enjoyed Soul Hackers more than any game on the list except for Fire Emblem, but it's not really a 2013 game.

#14 Edited by Colorwind (230 posts) -

@fancysoapsman: I think it still counts. Soul Hackers is a port just like my pick of Darkstalkers Resurrection.

#15 Edited by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

I have played pretty much every major release so far this year, but most I don't want to consider in my GOTY.

The only ones that I would are Ni No Kuni, Fire Emblem Awakening, Injustice Gods Among Us. The rest are good but I just don't think of them as GOTY material. Like Bioshock Infinite is good, but as a game I didn't enjoy it that much, for me it was the story that was the driving force of the game. Tomb Raider was a broken story with a not as good Uncharted gameplay.

Games that didn't not come out this year that are awesome are the whole MGS series, Sleeping Dogs, Kingdom Hearts 2, Pushmo, and probably some more but I forget what I played.

#16 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I have not been keeping up with playing games this year, at all. Still need to finish Bioshock Infinite.

#17 Edited by me3639 (1728 posts) -

1. Tomb Raider

2. Path Of Exile

3. Ni No Kuni

Only major releases i played this year. I know i will play Bioshock, as it sitting in my steam library, but not sure if there are many more this year with my backlog of other great titles i want to sit and enjoy.

#18 Posted by bigjeffrey (4805 posts) -

1. Dota 2

2. Dota 2

3. Dota 2

4. Dota 2

5. Dota 2

#19 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

Zeno Clash 2 is the only game I played this year that came out this year. It's really good though!

I want to get to Tomb Raider, DmC eventually, and get a 3DS so I can get fire emblem, SMTIV, soul hackers and EO4, but alas.

#20 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -
#21 Edited by posh (462 posts) -

I really wanna play injustice, tomb raider, DmC, ni no kuni and MGR, but so far my favourites have been

I did play bioshock infinite but I wouldn't put it in my top 5. guacamelee only makes it because I think I've only played 6 new releases this year. this year for me is all about new leaf, i'm pretty certain that's gonna be my game of they year already. otherwise I've mostly been catching up on older games i missed out on when I stopped playing games for 2-3 years, and games from last year I didn't get because I don't have the money to buy new games unless theyre animal crossing games.

#22 Posted by StudsMcKewl (68 posts) -

1. Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm

2. Bioshock Infinite

3. DmC: Devil May Cry

4. Tomb Raider

5. Antichamber

#23 Posted by Colorwind (230 posts) -

For the record, here's a list of all the games I've played that came out this year:

• DmC: Devil May Cry
  • The Cave
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PC version)
  • Antichamber
  • Skulls of the Shogun
  • Anarchy Reigns
  • Ys I & II Chronicles+
  • The Bridge
  • Crysis 3
  • Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
  • Brutal Legend (PC Version)
  • Aliens Colonial Marines
  • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (currently playing)
  • Tomb Raider
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14
  • Darkstalkers Resurrection
  • BioShock Infinite
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us
#24 Posted by wjb (1639 posts) -

Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, and DmC were the only games I've played so far that I liked, although the characters in Tomb Raider were totally one-dimensional. Still haven't played BioShock Infinite yet; will soon.

Dead Space 3 was disappointing, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time was boring, and Ni No Kuni was over-rated.

#25 Edited by BeachThunder (11712 posts) -
#26 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@colorwind: Good thing there aren't game of the four months awards; though for point of reference I don't think a single GoTY worthy mainstream title was released last year (Tokyo Jungle, FTL, Hotline Miami, and Double Dragon Neon being peripheral).

#27 Edited by fazzle (300 posts) -

So far my top 5 games of 2013:

1) Tales of Vesperia

2) Cook, Serve Delicious!

3) NBA 2k13

4) Trials Evolution

5) Tomb Raider

Yeah they're obviously not all 2013 releases, but they're my 5 favorite games I've played in 2013.

#28 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

Bioshock is my favorite game of the year so far, but oddly enough I've been playing Gears of War Judgment since the day it came out. It's been on constant rotation and I've barely played any multiplayer. So yeah....anyone want to play the game co-op just message me.

But hey, the next week shit kicks off again: Metro Last Light, RE Revelations, GRID 2 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf until the next quiet bit which will be followed by Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Saint's Row IV, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Rayman Legends, GTA V and then as if you hadn't had enough.....a new Battlefield, Call of Duty, Pokemon, Assassin's Creed, Batman, Playstation and Xbox.

Oh and Watch_Dogs....if you're into that.

#29 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@colorwind: Good thing there aren't game of the four months awards; though for point of reference I don't think a single GoTY worthy mainstream title was released last year (Tokyo Jungle, FTL, Hotline Miami, and Double Dragon Neon being peripheral).

Not even Journey? Or is that not exactly mainstream?

#30 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm

Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

Bioshock Infinate (kinda by default though)

#31 Posted by LackingSaint (1773 posts) -

Bioshock: Infinite and Fire Emblem: Awakening were just that special kind of "I have to just keep playing this until I pass out" feeling that I haven't had for a long time. Sly 4 is super neat too, and i'm happy to have supported that game with my wallet.

#32 Edited by l4wd0g (1912 posts) -

1 - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U & 3DS)

2 - Ni No Kuni (PS3)

3 - Tomb Raider (PC)

4 - StarCraft 2 Heart of the Storm (PC)

5 - Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Honorable Mentions

FarCry 3: Blood Dragon (360)

Bioshock Infinite (PC)

Soul Sacrifice (PSV)

#34 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

I haven't been too keen on a lot of the stuff coming out of late. That said, Year Walk was very interesting, great use of the mobile platform. Bioshock Infinite was fun, but I feel the discussion around the story's profundity is massively overblown, that was a fun, dumb, action game, (which is fine) but people act like its something much MUCH more than that which I just don't get. Papers, Please looks extremely interesting and the demo (beta?) was intriguing but it isn't really out yet so can't say for certain. That is pretty much all that's really crossed my path from this year that I've found compelling. Been playing a lot of older games when I can.

#35 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan: I'll go with the Walking Dead and Journey don't qualify as games though they're probably clear enough to be mainstream. My main issue is with fully priced retail products though, I don't mind $15 games being purely a gimmick of some sort to convey a storyline/atmosphere.

#36 Edited by James_Hayward (254 posts) -

It’ll be a disappointment if 2013 ends up with Crysis 3 being on any game of the year lists but, for me, the core gameplay of that game was far superior to that of the much lauded Far Cry 3. If Crysis 3 had been a Halo game, or if it’d had a more engaging premise/story then it would likely be a contender for best game of 2013 so far.

For me, the current game of 2013 thus far has been Tomb Raider which occasionally dazzled but generally remained compelling throughout. Which isn’t to say that I think it was anything more than a polished 8/10 game.

Bioshock Infinite burned very brightly for a brief moment there but on reflection, I don't think that it can justifiably be said to be more than a mediocre game experience coupled with a very intriguing story. Again, if it ends up toward the top of people's top tens at the end of the year then I think that 2013 will have been a disappointing year.

I remain hopeful that with the Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, GTA V, Metro Last Light… and perhaps…(?) Remember Me… that we’ll see *much* better than we have already as the year progresses.

#37 Posted by BeefyGrandmole (341 posts) -

1. Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen

2. Bioshock Infinite

3. Tomb Raider

4. Injustice

5. FarCry 3 Blood Dragon

I've been catching up on last years games so I'm looking forward to playing dishonored next and then metro.

#38 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

Binary Domain, Final Fantasy 13-2... (personal opinion obviously but binary domain was close to being #2 for me)

#39 Edited by Colorwind (230 posts) -

@vinny_says: Honestly, there's nothing coming out this month that I'm excited for. I'm not into Animal Crossing or Resident Evil (horror games scare me) and I'm on a wait and see attitude about Metro: Last Light. I am looking forward to Remember Me but that's June.

@kraznor: I've never even heard of Year Walk. I barely got a smartphone like two weeks ago so maybe I'll check it out. Is it on Android?

@james_hayward: I actually really enjoyed Crysis 3 too. While I don't think it's the best, it was much more interesting than some shooters. I know EA isn't having much luck with Medal of Honor coming out every other year. I propose they replace MoH with the Crysis series. I think 2013 is already a better year than last year as there have been better games out now than last year. We'll see how the rest of the year turns out. I'm hopeful for Remember Me as well.

#40 Edited by Demoskinos (14578 posts) -

My top 5 so far so far in no particular order (so far)

• Devil May Cry
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Dragon's Dogma :Dark Arisen
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Ninja Gaiden 3 : Razors Edge

I'm still honestly leaning to Devil May Cry as my favorite game this year so far. Its just so fucking goddamn good. There are very few single player games that aren't RPG's that I'll pump 80+ hours into and I put well over that into this game beating it like 7+ times. So good.

#41 Posted by Chaser324 (6332 posts) -

My top five of 2013 up to this point:

1. BioShock Infinite
  2. Fire Emblem: Awakening
  3. Tomb Raider
  4. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  5. Ridiculous Fishing
Moderator Online
#42 Posted by Zlimness (542 posts) -

I haven't played enough 2013 releases to even come up with 5 different ones I liked (not putting Crysis 3 on a list of good games), but Bioshock Infinite kind of takes all the spots on that list as it stands now. That game is just unbelievable. Heads and shoulders above everything else. Trying to go back to Far Cry 3 with Blood Dragon, but it's not happening. Which is crazy, because I loved Far Cry 3. But that was before I played Bioshock Infinite.

#43 Posted by Jolt92 (1543 posts) -

1. Picross e2
2. Fire Emblem Awakening
3. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
(4. Faster Than Light, but it's 2012 schhhh.)

#44 Posted by fitifititis (1 posts) -

I think Max Payne 3 definately belongs in that list!

#45 Posted by GaspoweR (2818 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Black Ops II

Halo 4

Sim City

Bioshock Infinite

That's it. Before anyone says anything, Black Ops and Halo have DLC in 2013 and are still active and fun in 2013, therefore they're 2013 games in my book.

Well, they're technically not 2013 games but they were games that you had fun with in 2013 which is great.

#46 Posted by VaddixBell (230 posts) -

This is difficult in a way. I've played a lot of games from 2012 and earlier this year. So, I'll put the games I really enjoyed from this year and having not played TLOU or GTA5, my list will have some noticeable absences. Anyway, here's 5 games I really enjoyed that came out in 2013.

Top games of 2013 (so far)

Bioshock Infinite

Ni No Kuni

Persona 4: Golden (it only came out here in 2013 ;) )

Tomb Raider

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX

#47 Posted by skooks (85 posts) -

My top 5 at this point:

The Last of Us
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Ni no Kuni
Grand Theft Auto V
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

#48 Posted by BeachThunder (11712 posts) -
#49 Posted by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

DmC Devil May Cry?

-Eh, i felt rising brought more to the table in inovation and narrative. DmC is literally a downgrade from 4 though, so as a fan of hack-n-slash I couldn't put it up there!

-Revengeance
-FFXIV
-Saints row IV
-Pokemon X and Y

#50 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5260 posts) -

So far,

• The Last of Us
  • Ni No Kuni
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Batman Arkham Origins

I'm pleasantly surprised to see both Ni No Kuni and Fire emblem on so many people's lists.