Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX East 2014

Concept »

The fifth annual PAX East took place April 11-13, 2014 at the Boston Exhibition & Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

My Video of PAX and Giant Bomb

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By NathHaw

PAX East was a lot of fun. I got to meet some fellow users of the site and recorded my time at the convention. This video contains some Giant Bomb fan interviews and footage of the Giant Bomb crew. There is some footage in here that you may not have seen of @vinny and Rich Gallup. These videos I post are mostly for fun and a little practice. They aren't serious projects mostly due to lack of time to edit them well, but I hope you can still enjoy.

It's nice to hear a little about how the beginnings of Giant Bomb happened from a little more of an inside perspective. I always thought those early videos happened mostly the way they did on purpose. I like how Vinny talks about how sometimes accidents like that first video help dictate the future, for example the way it helped set the tone of the site going forward. Makes me wonder how Giant Bomb might be different had the shooting and editing gone perfectly to plan.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cooljammer00

Once again, someone on the GB forums does a way better and faster job than me at something I wanted to do myself.

Real good job, though.

edit: Hmm, maybe I'm in some of this footage inadvertently?

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just realized from where you were sitting during #PRODUCED that you were that dude I saw with the nifty consumer grade HD camera. I figured you were bootlegging the panel for those who couldn't make it.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooljammer00 Yeah, I was up front for that panel. It was cool. I REALLY HATED THE PLACEMENT OF THAT MACBOOK THOUGH. I wanted so badly to get better footage of Rich. Only way I could was to move, but I didn't want to lose my seat. The sacrifices we make! :P

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cooljammer00

@nathhaw said:

@cooljammer00 Yeah, I was up front for that panel. It was cool. I REALLY HATED THE PLACEMENT OF THAT MACBOOK THOUGH. I wanted so badly to get better footage of Rich. Only way I could was to move, but I didn't want to lose my seat. The sacrifices we make! :P

Yeah, I was in the front row as well but right in front of the screen, so I got hot views like this:

No Caption Provided

Any chance you've got the entire panel on video? I know Vinny and/or Rich is gonna post audio and slides some time this week, and we could always splice your video and their audio together for a truly next-gen experience.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Wow, this was fantastic. Super well done! It's also fascinating to see so much of the PAX I didn't get to see because I was too busy doing my own thing. Certainly I recognize some stuff but seeing other stuff I don't recall is just great.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooljammer00:

I don't have the entire thing recorded. Knowing what I know now, I would have set up a tripod and got it all. I had trouble finding out if tripods were allowed before going to the show, so I didn't bring it. Seems as though it would have been OK. It would have been nice to set the camera to record and capture the whole panel.

The last convention I attended, tripods weren't allowed, so I wanted to assume on the safe side not bringing it. Since then, I have checked out a monopod (I'm a Navy photojournalist/broadcaster, and we can check out equipment--it's sweet) , which I hope will be small enough nobody will have a problem with it at some up-coming conventions. It's nice to be able to keep my footage steady. I am a fan of the small, easy-to-carry equipment, thus the small HD cam, which I adore and used to capture footage at PAX.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathhaw said:

@cooljammer00:

I don't have the entire thing recorded. Knowing what I know now, I would have set up a tripod and got it all. I had trouble finding out if tripods were allowed before going to the show, so I didn't bring it. Seems as though it would have been OK. It would have been nice to set the camera to record and capture the whole panel.

The last convention I attended, tripods weren't allowed, so I wanted to assume on the safe side not bringing it. Since then, I have checked out a monopod (I'm a Navy photojournalist/broadcaster, and we can check out equipment--it's sweet) , which I hope will be small enough nobody will have a problem with it at some up-coming conventions. It's nice to be able to keep my footage steady. I am a fan of the small, easy-to-carry equipment, thus the small HD cam, which I adore and used to capture footage at PAX.

Yeah, monopods are what the pros (read: Drew) use. Of course, you kinda have to stand.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bacongames: Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, I wonder what all I didn't see. I had the three-day pass, but still....

Unfortunately, I lost some footage when I transferred the media files from my training computer to my personal one. I had this really cool sequence I had put together with a lady dressed as a bunny playing the ukulele and singing. She was actually a talented singer, and the song was good. I eventually dissolved out the footage and overlayed the audio with gameplay video I'd recorded at the show. It was kinda cool, but it all got lost in the nether.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

You've got a lot of talent, duder!

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NathHaw

@reckless_x: Thanks. I hope I can get some time in the near future to actually put together one of these videos where I can do it a little more professionally. Those are a commitment though, and I can't find the time right now to focus on one. As soon I do a good video that is relevant to Giant Bomb in some way and not an interview of a local business owner or something, I probably will post it on the site. My last few videos on Katsucon 2014 (anime/cosplay convention), a MAGFest video game concert, and a Game of Thrones season 4 fans interview were also thrown together pretty quickly, but I do have fun making them. I have about four videos on my blog page.

Sometimes I make silly mini-commercials and PSAs. I may try to gear one toward video games in some way. The last one I did involved Facebook, which is kinda close with casual gaming, I guess, but I don't really want to post that. I want to make something cool and fairly short but incorporating a more "core" kind of game theme. We'll see.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#11 Marino  Staff

@nathhaw: This is really great. You captured what PAX is about quite well. And now you're on the front page of Giant Bomb.

No Caption Provided

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12 rmanthorp  Moderator

This is a great watch, thanks duder!

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was really well shot and edited, good job duder.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nice work dude!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Had this bookmarked for a few days and finally got to watch it. Awesome job.

The origins of Video Thing and 2Human were great to hear.

Saik0u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole thing is mega great! I really like the editing.
    Great job!

buckydude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic! Speaking for someone who's never been to a convention, let along PAX, I loved getting a fan's eye-view of the showfloor and the Giant Bomb panels. Just like Vinny talks about with that fateful video, editing tells the story, and I liked the one you were cutting here. Seems like a fun event, and a great outlet for that pizazz and showmanship that makes Giantbomb one of a kind.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saik0u: @theht: @pinner458: @rmanthorp: @marino: Thanks a lot!

@csl316 said:

Had this bookmarked for a few days and finally got to watch it. Awesome job.

The origins of Video Thing and 2Human were great to hear.

Thank you. Yeah, I knew when I was recording that particular moment of the #Produced panel, it had to be somewhere in this video. It even seems a little out of place surrounded by all the flash and music of the rest of the video, but it is so integral to a fan's knowledge of the site that it had to be included regardless. Now I just like to think of it as a nice intermission. :P

Fantastic! Speaking for someone who's never been to a convention, let along PAX, I loved getting a fan's eye-view of the showfloor and the Giant Bomb panels. Just like Vinny talks about with that fateful video, editing tells the story, and I liked the one you were cutting here. Seems like a fun event, and a great outlet for that pizazz and showmanship that makes Giantbomb one of a kind.

It was fun to shoot, and every time I get a chance to film another convention or event I take something constructive away from it. I am lucky to get to do what I do, and I am grateful for it. It's so cool, and that's part of why I like to share these videos I make with others who share similar interests.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@nathhaw: Honestly, I even liked the way it was inserted there. I'm like, "oh hey, he went to the production panel." And then he kept going and I'm like "oh hey, Vinny's telling the whole story." Which was a nice surprise.

Brisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice video! I was in it for a brief second! I was the dude in the 'staff' hoodie on the left at around 2:54 for AbleGamers. :D

Avatar image for deepspaceoctopus
    deepspaceoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deepspaceoctopus

This video made me extremely nostalgic for something that happened not that long ago. Thanks for putting this together.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Great job with this! I went but still enjoyed seeing the video representing so many parts of the convention!

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fakekisser: Thank you. It was such a cool experience. Glad you liked it.

@deepspaceoctopus: No prob. Waiting on the tickets for PAX Prime to go on sale. Maybe next week. Fingers crossed.

@brisaac: Cool. Thanks for being in the video.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.