My view on Console Wars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sacui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In my time of surfing through NeoGaf and game reviews, I've come to the realization that some gamers are ignorant. It literally seems people are waiting for the opportunity to hate on whatever is popular to their biased opinion to hate. Mainly PlayStation users (Sorry, but its undeniably true).

It's not healthy, and it's getting to the point that these fanboys(hate this word, and this is not directed towards one fan base or another) are delusionally biased jerkoffs and just want to see what they personally don't support fail....miserably. That whatever they play, on whatever they play on, is "the best" and whatever they don't play on is a waste of time and money. It's utterly disrespectful.

I've seen many examples. So many. "720p? What a waste PS4 is so much better." Or, XB1 is having some issues, PS4 user replies with "Hahahahah." Like, really? What kind of man? Of course there's the opposite of that going something like, "We have Titanfal haha, do you have Titanfall? No, you don't, we win, PlayStation sucks." And what's sad is, there's a million examples. Go to any formum, or any next-gen game review.

Many claim this competition is healthy, and in some aspects, that very well maybe true. Except for the fact that its dividing gamers into their elitist categories. I don't like that. I don't like that it's becoming prejudicially elitism.

I have a searing personal hatred for fanboyism. People getting online just to ravage other's opinions because there's is "The way to go." I want to jump the screen and slap the crap out of people like that.

Play whatever you want to play and don't be a dick about it, because you're probably a troll (in real life as well). Just a disgusting human being who dwells on their views because its all they have, while also dwelling on hatred toward things that oppose their views.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I agree that its unfortunate this attitude is present in today's culture. I find its easier to just not have a hate-list, and hope I'll live longer because of it. It just seems like to much work searing your brain on all the million reasons you hate something.

Anyway, this is why we can't have nice things.

Sacui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: admittedly I'm hurting my argument by hating on people hating, but it's hard not to.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pezen

I don't know when, but at some point I just stopped giving a shit about kids arguing over which of their toy was cooler. Let them pull each other's hair out, they'll learn eventually that it leads nowhere. I sit at the adult's table, we have jobs and can buy whichever one or all and be content with that decision. So.. yeah, let the kids play in the sandbox and give each other some bruises.

Sacui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sacui

@pezen: Yea, but I like to read reviews, and then read personal impressions in the comment section. But, no. Just BS. That's where it's really getting me

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gruff182

You lost me and I would imagine most people at "Mainly Playstation users".

I'm a PC guy, but if you think one side is any worse than the other. It's because you're on the other.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

I kinda thought that the console war was pretty civil up to this point, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. If anything, I think that the contentious debate of the moment is PC vs consoles. But whatever, there will always be kids who can only afford one console and take this stuff way too seriously, that's just inevitable. I'm just glad that the GB message boards have been relatively clear of console wars.

As someone who's not invested in either system at this point, and who owned and really liked both the 360 and the PS3, I feel like it's pretty obvious that both systems have pretty glaring issues that can be rectified; the PS4 has the most hardware potential, and has a lot of support from devs, but still has some usability issues and doesn't have enough good games yet, while the XONE had better games out of the gate and has the first major new-gen release in TitanFall, but also has infrastructure issues and has less impressive hardware, and it's still more expensive than the PS4 in most territories. I have confidence that both systems will end up living up to their potential.

I also really couldn't care less about the business side of things, but it's pretty obvious that the PS4 is doing significantly better than the XONE right now.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By CaLe

I like the PS4 controller better overall, but the triggers on the Xbox One controller are pretty sweet for racing games.

That's about all the 'war' I've got in me.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Isn't this all true about anything with rival fanbases? It doesn't seem like it's anything exclusive to gaming.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Drebin_893

I feel like the secret is that the people saying those things are 11 years old and we should probably all just stop pretending what they're saying is legitimate.

Sacui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sacui

I like what you people have to say. I'm glad I signed up.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

95% of the console wars is from people who around probably in their early teens that got a console from their parents and know nothing about the industry. So anytime I see comments about a review or game, I ignore it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My view is that people should just treat the "console wars" like they don't exist. Yes, it's silly, yes, it's dumb, yes, it's disruptive and hysterical. But it only has as much power as you give it. If you play into the conflict in any way, you're only making it worse. Last year, many in the press (including this site from time to time) were particularly bad about playing into console war bullshit by acknowledging it and letting it affect their stated opinions on controversies like "resolution-gate," when people should just state the facts and move on, not letting the crazies alter the conversation in any way. By playing dumb to seem "above" controversies, the controversies never ended.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By fattony12000
Loading Video...

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@sacui said:
Just a disgusting human being

Console wars hurt nobody, it's just bickering back and forth. Do you think fanatic club supporters are disgusting human beings too? Talk about hyperbole...

"Mainly PlayStation users (Sorry, but its undeniably true)."

No, just no. Playstation users are just tired of being treated like shit by Bethesda (Fallout: New Vegas & skyrim) and other multi-platform developers last gen (Bayonetta). People, mainly xbox360 owners, would smear it all in their faces when a 10 fps framerate difference occured. Now it's a more than a 50% power difference and Xbox One owners, the very same ones that went gloating on 10 fps increases, go "Boooohoooo waaah console wars are the worst! Sony fanboys are the worst!".

Avatar image for jag_stilvecchio
jag_stilvecchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sacui: You had my concurrence until this part... "mainly PlayStation users (Sorry, but its undeniably true)."

Here's my breakdown of fanboyism:

1. A segment of the old-school guys who grew up during the Sega-Nintendo wars of the late '80s and 90's haven't grown out of trash talking their chosen console.

2. Kids... and I mean that literally, who're relatively new to gaming and are growing up with a specific console and defend it to the death. That and the Xbox is the babysitter.

3. Human nature. I don't know if any of you all make it to other forums regularly but back in the day during the HD-DVD & Blu-ray era the boards on Amazon were full of people fighting over which format was better... er, fanboyism. Mind you most of these people were adults and they were trash talking like a 12yr old playing CoD. So it seems human nature is to see the great value in the purchasing decision you've made and naturally want to defend that even if it means going on the offensive to put down the competing product.

4. Group #1 - 3 with the anonymity of the internet and you have modern gaming/fanboyism.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sacui said:

Console wars hurt nobody, it's just bickering back and forth. Do you think fanatic club supporters are disgusting human beings too? Talk about hyperbole...

No, just no. Playstation users are just tired of being treated like shit by Bethesda (Fallout: New Vegas & skyrim) and other multi-platform developers last gen (Bayonetta). People, mainly xbox360 owners, would smear it all in their faces when a 10 fps framerate difference occured. Now it's a more than a 50% power difference and Xbox One owners, the very same ones that went gloating on 10 fps increases, go "Boooohoooo waaah console wars are the worst! Sony fanboys are the worst!".

Console wars don't hurt anyone? I think you need to re-read the last paragraph you wrote.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw said:

@sacui said:

Console wars don't hurt anyone? I think you need to re-read the last paragraph you wrote.

That's how console wars went last gen and how it's going now. It isn't hurting anyone unless you take it too seriously and commit sudoku over your console not doing 1080p. Big gaming sites actually partake in it, like Polygon downplaying the 1080p standard going forward. The "war" is about value proposition, how one console can cost $100 more and still underperform.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By Atlas
@trafalgarlaw said:

That's how console wars went last gen and how it's going now. It isn't hurting anyone unless you take it too seriously and commit sudoku over your...

Umm...what?

I think you might have that word confused with another word.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atlas said:
@trafalgarlaw said:

That's how console wars went last gen and how it's going now. It isn't hurting anyone unless you take it too seriously and commit sudoku over your...

Umm...what?

tell me what puzzle I'm carving into my chest then

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@sacui said:

In my time of surfing through NeoGaf and game reviews, I've come to the realization that some gamers are ignorant. It literally seems people are waiting for the opportunity to hate on whatever is popular to their biased opinion to hate. Mainly PlayStation users (Sorry, but its undeniably true).

lol

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atlas said:
@trafalgarlaw said:

Umm...what?

That's the joke...

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play Xbox for multiplayer games, and buy most other games for my Playstation. I like them both, however the Xbox One can throw out that stupid kinect camera any day now.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: Okay, so unless I'm misreading that, you're saying the entire console war is based off which console costs less and performs better? Forget the exclusive games and features of each console, Thief running at 1080p is the only thing that matters? What?

In a nutshell the console wars are just dumb consumers bickering over their favorite product, which is by no means exclusive to video games. And yeah, shady websites want to exploit every dumb thing people squawk about for click bait. Ya dig?

Sherlock22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sherlock22

I feel like part of the reason sony fanboys are pushing back as hard as they are (and i havent seen much, but i avoid places like gamefaqs) is because of all of the trash talking from the younger 360 crowd. It doesn't help that when the xbox one was announced with the always online and 500 dollar price point that more than once i saw "You must be too poor to afford the best console" and "I'm always online, you must be too poor to have internet". It really doesnt matter at the end of the day and I know there are people on both sides like this but the really young crowd that are microsoft fanboys tends to defend them like they think this corporation cares about anything other than their money.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sacui said:

In my time of surfing through NeoGaf and game reviews, I've come to the realization that some gamers are ignorant.

How many individuals of the United States population actually understand the political parties of their government before taking side Heads/Tails and voting for Candidate Heads/Candidate Tails?

I think video game ignorance is not that important compared to real ignorance.

But, to indulge you, yes it's very ignorant and unhealthy, it doesn't get you anywhere, and those people are lame. Thankfully the GB community seems to be past that! :)

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@gruff182 said:

You lost me and I would imagine most people at "Mainly Playstation users".

I'm a PC guy, but if you think one side is any worse than the other. It's because you're on the other.

This

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@sacui said:

...It literally seems people are waiting for the opportunity to hate on whatever is popular to their biased opinion to hate. Mainly PlayStation users (Sorry, but its undeniably true).

This is the kind of thing that will get your topics closed around here.

You may have noticed Giant Bomb doesn't have a System Wars forum. This is not an oversight.