This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by The_Anemeros (27 posts) -

I've been coming to this site for a very long time. When I discovered Giant Bomb, it was love at first sight. I remember my first Quicklook and I remember telling all of my friends about it. I remember the first Live Stream and how things that needed to be done that afternoon didn't get done. The first Bombcast helped ease the wait leading up to a midnight release for a game I don't even remember. There was a sense of pride I felt in this website and in these people that I've never met...

So what happened?

It starts with Jeff. His acerbic attitude was refreshing at first; Here's a guy that, somewhat like me, was jaded and expected more of an industry that was (and still is) very juvenile and insecure. But now it's wearing me down. It's like he's not having fun anymore and now everything is a joke or a critique. I can't remember the last time where it seemed like he genuinely liked something that came out after the 90's. When I watch or listen to him, I know that there is a 50% chance of hearing him say "Wow this is duuuumb", or seeing him sigh and look around like whatever he's doing is a waste of time. That seems like a great way to alienate some of the people that you're trying to connect with. Jeff, a guy that I admire, is simply becoming too sardonic for me to appreciate.

As far as everyone else, I don't really have a issue except to say that Patrick showed up and the site started to change soon after. I don't mind that he's focusing so much on niche content, but it seems like Giant Bomb went and got all hipster because of him. A site that used to be almost exclusively about games (big or small) and people playing those games, now seems to be forcing-feeding us 'Frosted Indie-O's, the Breakfast of Underdogs' on a weekly basis. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but when there isn't a ton of content to begin with, and most of it is dedicated to your indie developer friends, and their friends, and friends of friends...

Which leads me to my biggest concern, which is, as I stated, that there hasn't been as much content as there used to be, and half of the stuff I want to see is now behind a paywall. I understand that you have a small staff, but people love you guys AND you are well-respected, which is an extremely coveted position to be in. So did you really need to capitalize on that by adding Premium content? I'll admit that I almost subscribed a couple of times, but never did simply for the fact that the kind of stuff I now have to pay for is the kind of stuff that made me love the site in the first place, back when it was just there to enjoy. I would never had come to love this site as much as I do, if back then it was in the state that it is in now. I used to suggest to my friends (and even some strangers) to make Giant Bomb their video game destination of choice, and many of them did. But I can honestly say that I have not made that suggestion in about 7 or 8 months.

Please don't interpret this a rant. My purpose of saying this is not to get attention or start something. I'm only saying this because I sincerely love you guys and I'm just disappointed in the direction I think the site is heading. I could be way off base and I could just be having one of those days where I think about things too much. I know this is insignificant and trivial, but I consider you my friends, and friends don't let friends ruin a good thing.

#2 Edited by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

If you're my friend, how come you never call? It's like you never even wanted to be friends!

I think there are other members of the community that aren't interested in staff-based stuff. It's cool because there are other ways to participate in this community that you may also enjoy. We could always use more wiki contributors, for 'xample.

#3 Posted by Itwongo (1236 posts) -

I honestly don't see the problems you're pointing out. Jeff has straight up admitted he's borderline obsessed with Persona 4. As far as I can tell, a huge majority of the indie stuff exists on Patrick's Worth-whatevers. The crew have stated multiple times that without premium, Giant Bomb would have gone under several times over, and the premium content is some of the best on the site.

#4 Edited by DonutFever (3561 posts) -

I still like the site, but a lot of what you say is true. I still love the personalities, though, and they need the premium aspect to keep running.

#5 Edited by Pepipopa (93 posts) -

I agree with pretty much your entire post.

I'd say it a little more diplomatic like. I think Patrick is producing so much more content than anyone else (I'm not sure if Vinnie is helping him edit it down or what) But it feels like 70% of the content is made from him. I like Patrick. I mean I like Pizza too. But I'd hate Pizza 70% of the time. The new F1 Podcast is great ( I'm kinda dissapointed its behind the paywall although i am a subscriber because its fantastic and got me into F1) I just hope there is more Goofy shit that Giant Bomb is legendary with. And less of this planned and slow Giant (haha puns) highly produced and polished. I want basement and dirty. Thats Giant Bomb for me.

I'm just airing this out. I have no bad feelings towards anyone just hope the balance is restored somehow.

#6 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

huh

#7 Posted by liquiddragon (263 posts) -

@the_anemeros: I can see where your coming from but they do this for a living and at the end of the day, free members like us can't really complain about too much. They can see the numbers on their side and if need be, I'm sure they'll react to that. It's a tough balancing act after all of providing content for everyone vs premium. In terms of vibes, it's true Jeff seems to have change the most from the past listening to older podcasts vs newer ones but dudes still cool in my book

#8 Posted by The_Anemeros (27 posts) -

@lordandrew: I wasn't saying that the user was the friend I was worried about. Giant Bomb has one of if not THE best communities of its kind. I was directing that at the staff, whom I do indeed view as friends.

And sorry for posting this as a question. I'll fix that ASAP.

#9 Edited by Dudacles (1461 posts) -

I understand that you have a small staff, but people love you guys AND you are well-respected, which is an extremely coveted position to be in. So did you really need to capitalize on that by adding Premium content? I'll admit that I almost subscribed a couple of times, but never did simply for the fact that the kind of stuff I now have to pay for is the kind of stuff that made me love the site in the first place, back when it was just there to enjoy.

Yes, they do want to capitalize on that. I'm not privy to Giant Bomb's business plans, obviously, but to me, it came as no surprise at all that they eventually introduced a paywall, and would then go on to focus on stuff that people are actually paying them for. Those early years, when all of the site's content was free, were simply a way to bind as many users to them as they could before bringing up the whole "hey, we're trying to make this into a profitable thing now, so please pay us if you want us to continue" bit. It's nothing unusual, as far as I know, for a business to market themselves in this way. There are periods of content drought, but personally, I'm pretty satisfied with what Giantbomb offers me in return for the 3 or 4 euros that constitute the monthly fee. Giantbomb is here to make money for those guys (and CBSi, at this point) and to that end, it only makes sense that the crew caters to paying members above all. If you want in on that content, you are supposed to subscribe. That does not strike me as particularly immoral, truth be told.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15119 posts) -

Being well respected and liked doesn't put food on the table or pay the bills. These guys need to get paid and the previous model before they went premium wasn't working for them. Its expensive to live where they do and they have to run a business and you can't very well do that if you don't have enough capital coming in can you? And before you go and shout CBSi well here is the thing yes they are backed by CBSi but also CBSi needs to see that they are worth investing money into so they get a return on their investment.

#11 Posted by Rorie (3173 posts) -

Thanks for your comments. In the end, the amount of content we can produce is related to the number of people we have, obviously. When we were at Whiskey, we had interns and a couple of extra pairs of hands on cameras to help out with stuff; at this point we're still a man down from this point last year. So it's tough to keep cranking stuff out when we have so few hands to bring to bear. I mean, Vinny had to control the camera for Pathfinder while he was sitting there playing, which is kinda ridiculous.

That's more of an explanation than an excuse; I get that, in the end, you guys mostly care about what you're getting for your money. I feel like we've been saying that we're going to hire more people soon for a while now, but hopefully that is something that we can push through in the next month or two.

So, I understand if lack of content is something that frustrates you. I can't promise a fix for it tomorrow, but if you drift away, hopefully you'll be able to come back and check in in a few months to see if we're doing any better.

Staff
#12 Posted by Pepipopa (93 posts) -
@dudacles said:

I understand that you have a small staff, but people love you guys AND you are well-respected, which is an extremely coveted position to be in. So did you really need to capitalize on that by adding Premium content? I'll admit that I almost subscribed a couple of times, but never did simply for the fact that the kind of stuff I now have to pay for is the kind of stuff that made me love the site in the first place, back when it was just there to enjoy.

Yes, they do want to capitalize on that. I'm not privy to Giant Bomb's business plans, obviously, but to me, it came as no surprise at all that they eventually introduced a paywall, and would then go on to focus on stuff that people are actually paying them for. Those early years, when all of the site's content was free, were simply a way to bind as many users to them as they could before bringing up the whole "hey, we're trying to make this into a profitable thing now, so please pay us if you want us to continue" bit. It's nothing unusual, as far as I know, for a business to market themselves in this way. There are periods of content drought, but personally, I'm pretty satisfied with what Giantbomb offers me in return for the 3 or 4 euros that constitute the monthly fee. Giantbomb is here to make money for those guys (and CBSi, at this point) and to that end, it only makes sense that the crew caters to paying members above all. If you want in on that content, you are supposed to subscribe. That does not strike me as particularly immoral, truth be told.

True that. Giant bomb is Easily 5-7 hours of my week. Every week. Thats 20-30 hours of entertainment a month for 5$? I wasn't subscribed for 5-6 months. I had 5 months of old podcasts. 4-5 years I could listen in 4-5 months. Then when i subscribed another 5-6 months of backlog Premium content unlocked. The amount of content you get for 5$ is HUGE.

#13 Posted by xyzygy (10067 posts) -

While I do notice that Jeff is overly negative much of the time, I do also recognize when he likes a game.

Other than that I'm not seeing anything from any of your other points. I still see quite a bit of content on the home screen all the time.

#14 Posted by Lanechanger (556 posts) -

To the OP, I take it that you're either not big on indie games or not recognizing their growing status in the industry.

As far as I can tell, giantbomb is still covering the "Triple A" titles. They have several videos on Bioshock Infinite, Last Of Us, Battlefield 4, Titanfall. But with there being more quantity of indie games out there than Triple A's, you're bound to see more coverage on indie games, so that might have given you the impression that they've gone "hipster".

As for Jeff, I think he's genuinely interested in all the indie stuff and all the crazy ideas that people can come up with so easily now. He was even contemplating downloading game studio pro to implement some of his ideas. So if you're not big on indie games, you'll once again feel like Jeff's crapping on everything but he's really not.

And the premium stuff is kind of a business reality. We could either get a giant bomb that never grows and stagnate or riddled with ads and pop-up's or click baits. Or we can see a giant bomb with premium content to support their growth and have them hire more people for more craziness.

#15 Posted by TheHT (11690 posts) -

The word "jaded" is getting closer and closer to automatic eye-roll status.

#16 Posted by believer258 (12110 posts) -

Jeff liked Persona 4 and Saints Row the Third a lot. I do agree that he doesn't seem to be that excited about games all the time, but I do think that he still likes games.

On the topic of a paywall - yes. They ask you to pay for the content that they produce so that they can keep producing it and keep eating dinner at night and fun stuff like that. Apart from now-gone TNT's, what else is behind paywalls these days that wasn't behind paywalls before?

#17 Edited by wjb (1689 posts) -

I understand most of your points except the "Patrick is a hipster" comment. The term is tired, and I think Patrick is a little too dorky to be considered a hipster. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I still don't think video games are cool enough for most actual hipsters (if that's even a word), unless they're playing NES or N64 ironically or something.

#18 Posted by Bocam (3810 posts) -

On the topic of a paywall - yes. They ask you to pay for the content that they produce so that they can keep producing it and keep eating dinner at night and fun stuff like that. Apart from now-gone TNT's, what else is behind paywalls these days that wasn't behind paywalls before?

Endurance Runs... kinda.

#19 Edited by The_Anemeros (27 posts) -

I don't blame the staff for trying to make money, as I would prefer a Premium Giant Bomb to no Giant Bomb at all. However, the issue arises when much of the daily content is trailers and the like, with the occasional QL or Patrick posting, and then much of the stuff one would desire to see is Premium (no offense to Patrick intended). The balance is off, I think. When there is more free content to tip the scales, I think it will improve.

#20 Posted by LiquidPrince (16124 posts) -

Honestly, the only thing missing for me right now is daily content ala the Endurance Run. If they had something like that, where I could look forward to at least one new video a day, it would make me really happy. Which is why I enjoy a lot of the Breaking Brad and Dark Souls 2 videos Vinny and Brad have been doing. They are essentially premium Endurance Runs. I wish they had some more of that stuff in this dry time leading up to E3 and summer.

#21 Posted by The_Anemeros (27 posts) -

@wjb: There is a growing trend of shunning big studios and touting what ever obscure nonsense you found on steam or something. I love my share of indie games and play as many of them as anything else, but there seems to be this attitude of assuming that bigger studios with bigger budgets have no soul and don't contribute anything worthwhile any more.

#22 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

If i had to make one comment.

They are too small to send guys out on "assignment" to see games. Like going on a trip for a couple days to play Watch_dogs only to have a few comments on the gameplay and some shitty B-roll does not seem to be worth anyones time for example.

Oh and they gotta stop opening mail on UPF and spending half an hour eating and drinking. it's infuriating. Everytime it happens i almost unsubscribe. Why they think thats ok to do is beyond me. And before some smug dickbag comes and goes "Well its UNPROFESSIONAL friday! of course they're going to be unprofessional!" I don't care.

Oh and they should be on time. It's not funny or cute when you're consistently half an hour late for every live stream because of "technical" mishaps.

#23 Posted by Akyho (1693 posts) -

The middle part of the OP post is what I have a problem with. Saying the coming of Patrick sparks indie coverage and went "hipster" I wont take the line and talk about Patrick. However did you miss "Building the Bastion?" Indie game coverage right there.

Also have you missed the game industry? we get 3 or so AAA games worth playing at this point, things like Simcity is an AAA game....except ruined itself in business decisions and thats alot of AAA games right now.

Call of Duty is the same,BF 4 is/was/still broken, Batman Arkham origins is a play on whats been done and slightly badly broken. The only competent AAA games are Last of us, Infamous and the likes and those are once a year.

Smaller niche games/Indie games is were people attentions are at cos thats whats most of. We are coming up to summer....AAA dead zone. Niche/Indie games the train dosnt stop, just gotta walk the minefield of early access.

This loops back around to Jeff current attitude on games. THE AAA GAMES INDUSTRY SUUUUUUUUUUCKS right now. Be it the games playing too safe or terrible anti consumer decision's. It realy sucks right now. The most we talk about the big companies now is the amount of scandals they are involved in.

That is how it is right now. Jeff wants things fit for consumers and when your given a 5 page document telling you whats fixed with the day one patch or worse! the first week patch! how can you be happy with the large game companies.

Then there is the ever uncertain Early access. Its simply not up to code TBH.

As for content on Gaintbomb....ITS ALL GREAT. Just Subscribe and enjoy. Unpro is well worth the money alone, its a weekly MUST watch for me.

#24 Posted by Hunkulese (2842 posts) -

@the_anemeros: You should check out IGN if Giantbomb isn't for you. They tend to be more positive about games and have lots of the AAA coverage you're looking for.

#25 Posted by flameboy84 (203 posts) -

See I may be in the minority but personally have always been a huge fan of Patrick Klepek and do not see the huge amount of content he produces as the bone of contention that some do. Alex however I am not a huge fan of his content and if the situation was reversed I guess I perhaps would feel like this. It's not Patrick's fault he has so much to give.

Like has been said before it's down to the staffing we can only hope this gets resolved soon. It doesn't even need to be a big personality (they have plenty with the GB crew and the Gamespot guests) just some talented guys behind the scenes to help out with the technical side of things. I've only recently started paying the sub and feel there is a ton of content to be had and I for one am excited about what the future holds.

#26 Posted by JasonR86 (9764 posts) -
#27 Edited by jkz (4051 posts) -

There's some good points here (or, being less generous, ones whose origin I can understand), but the idea that Patrick changed GB is simply silly. EVERYONE cares more about indie games now than they did 5 years ago, because independent development itself has FLOURISHED in that time (for a whole host of reasons, between consoles becoming more inviting, steam opening up so readily, easier access to development tools, and so forth).

In ANY medium, you'll find that the more enthusiast side of the press - the side that engages with the content they cover constantly and deeply, rather than it being merely one of many aspects of their coverage - tends to gravitate towards independent sectors because the lessened risk creates more risk-taking. That's not to say that games are only interesting if they take risks, but more to say that the more you immerse yourself in a medium (and the GB guys are about as immersed in video games as people get), the more you look for things that lie outside of the sort of experiences you've already had.

There's nothing devious or plotting about it: people simply get tired of what they've come to expect, and then go searching for something different, and now that that "something different" exists so consistently because of the flourishing of independent development in video games, you see more and more of the enthusiast press taking notice. It's a trend that you see in music, in film, and in pretty much every artistic field that has a well supported and thriving independent scene. The only difference is that the independent scene is far younger in games than it is in film or music, and so you're seeing that change as it occurs, rather than first engaging with the medium once that scene has already been established, as is the case with music or film.

#28 Edited by cmblasko (1326 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

Honestly, the only thing missing for me right now is daily content ala the Endurance Run. If they had something like that, where I could look forward to at least one new video a day, it would make me really happy. Which is why I enjoy a lot of the Breaking Brad and Dark Souls 2 videos Vinny and Brad have been doing. They are essentially premium Endurance Runs. I wish they had some more of that stuff in this dry time leading up to E3 and summer.

Yeah, I was REALLY enjoying Patrick's daily Spelunky and Binding of Isaac shows. I completely understand why he's stopped doing them but it would be nice if that feature could be brought back in some way - maybe if there was a one-man "daily show" that is hosted by a different staff member each day?

#29 Posted by HeyGuys (557 posts) -

I'm going to keep it simple; it's always possible to improve but I love what Giantbomb is doing and has been doing for a long time. Keep up the good work, stay passionate about what you guys do and I'll be happy to continue being a part of this community.

#31 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (468 posts) -

@the_anemeros: For someone complaining about Jeff's acerbic attitude towards games, you sure seem to mirror that same attitude towards the site's coverage of indie games.

No site can be all things to all people. If the coverage isn't what you want right now then don't visit and try coming back in the future to see if it's changed to suit your needs.

And to speak to Jeff's supposed negative attitude towards games-- dude sounded pretty into Titanfall, Infamous and Assassins Creed IV.

#32 Edited by Sterling (2617 posts) -

Oh, is it that time of the year again?

#33 Posted by flyingace16021 (167 posts) -

I respect your opinion, I just personally have really been enjoying a lot of the content they have been putting up, particularly the UPFs. I also religiously watched spelunkin' with scoops (and binding of patrick close to that) and I love the worth reading articles because its an easy way to get directed towards other great games writing. I don't know. I'm excited to see who they end up hiring and how the site grows. I understand where you're coming from, even if I don't fully agree. I do think the site is in desperate need of one or two new voices in the main office, as they've talked about.

#34 Posted by James_Hayward (462 posts) -

Jeff liked Persona 4 and Saints Row the Third a lot. I do agree that he doesn't seem to be that excited about games all the time, but I do think that he still likes games.

exactly. I never understand the logic of complaint about paywalls.

#35 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (468 posts) -

I do think the site is in desperate need of one or two new voices in the main office, as they've talked about.

FO SHO

Love the guys, but some new voices and perspectives would be great.

#36 Posted by The_Anemeros (27 posts) -

@hunkulese: Who said that's what I was looking for? IGN and its community are irritating, and I'd rather watch two things on GB than 25 things on IGN.

#37 Posted by mpgeist (642 posts) -

The only issue I have is UPF is starting to get stale. I really wish they'd bring back TNT (or something like it) and alternate with UPF. I miss the community interaction.

#38 Posted by Ben_H (3413 posts) -

@sterling said:

Oh, is it that time of the year again?

Yup. These kinds of threads on a weekly/semiweekly basis until roughly the start of September, and then they will disappear until next year at roughly this time.

#39 Posted by development (2578 posts) -

Mostly legitimate concerns, but things that have been addressed in one way or another by Jeff. I don't blame you for not being privy to this, as I'm sure some (or all) was in subscriber content or content not directly attached to the site. Jeff may have a recent blog post about this if you look in his history or perhaps on his tumblr.

Anyway, the summation is more or less what Rorie said above: they're trying to hire new people to get things back on track, but the company they work for is not making it easy at all, and there appears to have been about a thousand meetings taking place just in order for them to convince CBSi to give them the money to hire a single person.

In my opinion, the people you should be upset with are CBSi. I know CBSi is a company and all, but someone in there is seriously fucked up if they're finding it that hard to justify spending the cash to replace a dead staff member. If that's not the case, then I of course rescind those words... but it does seem to be the case.

#40 Edited by BigSocrates (419 posts) -

Is nobody going to mention that the site lost a founding member and one of the greatest games personalities ever? I realize it's a very sad thing to bring up, but trying to figure out what's missing without talking about his passing and the effect it had on everyone else (Jeff seems less enthusiastic these days? He lost his best friend.) is like trying to figure out planetary orbits without taking the sun into account. The site has been remarkably resiliant considering what has been lost and while it will never be what it was hopefully it can continue to evolve and improve in the direction it's in now.

But seriously, The impact of that loss cannot be underestimated. He gave the site a ton of its personality and what made it special.

RIP Ryan Davis.

#41 Posted by lanerobertlane (147 posts) -

I was gonna comment "Guys, they're just getting used to the new office... give it time" but as i was reading other comments, it made me think a little.

I agree that there seems to be a cynical and jaded vibe from Jeff when it comes to games lately, but when you've been seeing games for however long he has, it's kinda hard to be surprised and enthusiastic about everything all the time. With this being a personality driven site you're gonna see the lows of the staffs moods and personalities, not just the highs.

I also agree with the lack of content, but I blame that on a mixture of the lack of staff and the lack of games and the red tape and paperwork that comes with being in a large organisation such as CBSi. I mostly miss unproduced videos like I love Monday's and Mailbags that seem to have gone away and think they could have another live show in the week that replaces where TNT was.

I still think I get value for money on my subscription though, although all I really watch that's behind the paywall in UPF and Alt-F1.

I'm holding out hope that they get some new staff soon, that fit in well with the team and 'get' the website, and then it becomes operation Quick Look everything and we all ride the content train.

#42 Posted by Evilsbane (4698 posts) -

@the_anemeros: Your complaining about Patrick and a lack of content when he does nothing but bring as much to the table as he can while working by himself, he does nothing wrong and yet:

"now seems to be forcing-feeding us 'Frosted Indie-O's, the Breakfast of Underdogs' on a weekly basis"

Really? This right here is where all your points stop even mattering, if you cannot stand him that much don't watch his videos, Nothing is being Force fed to you he isn't even in the office anymore. Indie games are games I want to hear about all of them, years of people complaining about them missing games what they cover and what the don't why would you want something ignored? What is the difference who made the damn game? Why would you want Major issues and rise of a new style of games design in the industry ignored? He is but a part of this thing and in a position where you can literally avoid him at all times.

#44 Posted by The_Anemeros (27 posts) -

@rockyraccoon37: I have no hate for indie games at all. I'm sorry it seems that way. I'd rattle off a quick list of recent indie games that I love but that's not necessary. My whole point is about the attitude and future of the site and how it doesn't make me feel the way it used to. It doesn't feel like a bunch of gamers playing games anymore; It feels like a bunch of journalists playing games.

#45 Posted by flasaltine (1695 posts) -

As far as everyone else, I don't really have a issue except to say that Patrick showed up and the site started to change soon after. I don't mind that he's focusing so much on niche content, but it seems like Giant Bomb went and got all hipster because of him. A site that used to be almost exclusively about games (big or small) and people playing those games, now seems to be forcing-feeding us 'Frosted Indie-O's, the Breakfast of Underdogs' on a weekly basis.

I stopped reading here.

#46 Posted by brainwins (252 posts) -

If you pinpoint Jeff's "jaded" opinion about games you'll realize he's right. Don't blame him for not getting hyper excited for the reskining of old ass game mechanics.

Now, Patrick loves his indies. I love some, I hate some. But it seems you are blaming him for being the opposite of Jeff, so what's with that?

The paywall thing, there's no better way to advertise or make money than the way Giant Bomb has been doing it, ever. I haven't seen or heard anyone getting as creative as Jeff about sponsors.

#47 Posted by Camelizer (104 posts) -

Obviously the amount of content that is being produced is heavily impacted by the limited resources that the guys currently have. Creating and maintaining multiple weekly video series, whether behind a paywall or not, is not really currently that feasible for Giantbomb considering the limited manpower. You can clearly see it anytime Vinny and Drew have to switch off in the control room during live shows. Jeff's apparently been working towards trying to help solve that problem but until then I guess it just a matter of personal opinion whether Giantbomb is something still worth investing time and/or money into. Personally I think it is.

#48 Posted by TruthTellah (9429 posts) -

I can somewhat understand your concern over Jeff's attitude in the last year or so, but I think you're way off base on just about everything else. They still release a lot of content, and they're even looking into getting two more people to allow them to do even more. I can see why not being a subscriber might be somewhat disappointing, but honestly, the content they're putting out now is worth the subscription.

And as far as your comments about Patrick and indie games... I don't even know where to begin. For someone complaining about Jeff's seemingly acerbic attitude lately, your comments here come off even worse than his worst moments. Your issue is with the amount of free content, not with Patrick or anything he is doing. He provides a -lot- to the site, and he has been here for over 3 years already. If you don't like how the site has "changed" since Patrick arrived, I guess you haven't been a fan for two years or more. That's kind of ridiculous.

You may not consider this a "rant", but it certainly reads like one. If you want more free content and hope Jeff might be a little less negative, then just say that, but wrapping it up in all this nonsense doesn't help.

#49 Posted by Mcfart (1719 posts) -

I think they're fine. As a non-subscriber I never felt like there wasen't any new content. Even if they only post 2-3 QLs week, they tend to be 40m-60m each now rather then the classic 20m ql.

#50 Posted by Strife777 (1611 posts) -

I don't get when people say Jeff sounds "jaded" (an overused word in my opinion). Sure he can be brutally honest, but he likes plenty of games. Recently he enjoyed Infamous and Luftrausers for example.

Sure, Giant Bomb has changed a lot. I personally feel Ryan's absence a whole lot for one and then you also have to take into account that when they were at Whiskey Media, they had the Tested guys there too, interns, etc.