• 65 results
gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By gogosox82

I don't know what makes a game overrated/underrated. What are we basing it on? Fan reception to the game? Media reception to the game? Sales? I have no idea. It just seems like its what i like and others don't = underrated and vice versa.

Overrated:

God of war 3 (Kratos really wasn't fun to play as and they kind of went overboard with the puzzles so it got boring for me after a while)

Oblivion (I know people like it, but it never really clicked for me like Morrowind and Skyrim did)

FFX ( I really couldn't stand the Tidus and that really killed the game for me)

Underrated:

Prince of Persia 08 ( I loved this game. I don't care what anyone says. This game was a blast to play with a great cliffhanger at the end)

Dragon's Dogma (Yeah the story isn't the greatest but its serviceable but the combat and exploration is really amazing)

Dragon Age II (I know I might get flamed for this, but i really liked the game. I thought thought most of the party members were really well done and I loved the city and all the tension between templers and mages. And the voice acting was really good.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

OVERRATED:

• Halo 3 (Didn't care for this game and why people like it)
  • Bayonetta (GB hyped it for me and played it last year...meh, it's an ok game, nothing more)
  • The Walking Dead (Damn good game, but NOT the best game last year)

UNDERRATED:

• Max Payne 3 (It was a fine game and doesn't deserve the shit it gets, though not as good as 1 & 2 or other Rockstar games)
  • Persona 4 (GAME DESERVES MORE CREDIT FROM EVERYONE!)
  • Binary Domain (Game is so fucking good and not enough people played it, a more enjoyable Gears to play because of the story)
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@big_jon:

Overrated

Call of Duty - series (The game responsible for killing all creativity in this gen of games, when publishers just say lets make it feel more like COD you know its over. Not to mention the game that's in way too many 10 year old's systems as you read this now, what ever happen to kids playing kids games and not pretending there in a war over seas killing people. I actually believe if this series didn't come out we would have been better off)

Gran Turismo - series (I always felt like the developers gave themselves too much credit for developing these games and took too much time while at it. I mean Forza made 3 games in the time it practically took them to make the 5th game. Sure its got great physics and a ton of cars but its some how very boring and the 4th game should have had online multiplayer)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Xbox 360 and PS3 anything good ever said about this game makes it overrated, Sega's unfinished piece of crap, currently has 3 stars on amazon's site!!! Please go there and kill that score for the love of humanity!)

Underrated

Die Hard Arcade (IMO best 3d beatem up / streets of rage style game ever)

Crazy Taxi - (was the first time I saw a living city in a video game years before GTA3, also had a old school feel with always trying to get your score higher, which made it very addicting for me)

Dead Rising - series (I always hear people complaining about the DR games, but along's as you level up your character and don't expect to beat the story mode in your 1st play through you'll have a lot of fun with these games.)

Rayman Origins (definitely the best 2d platformer to come out on the Xbox 360 or PS3, I once saw the Xbox 360 version on clearance at Target for a mere $5!!! I blame COD for keeping our young kids away from such a classic)

Resident Evil Dead Aim (use a Guncom in 1 hand and the PS2 controllers analog stick in the other and this thing practically created the concept of the Wii!!! And hell the Guncom was much more accurate)

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#54  Edited By big_jon

@fynnius66 said:

@big_jon: The problem with Half Life 2 is that it innovated in ways the industry haven't really caught up with (like world creation) and the ways it didn't innovate (like in enemy AI) the industry has long since surpassed, because we have come to expect a certain level of this sort of thing, when going back to HL2 it sticks out like a sore thumb.

True enough, it also really had some awesome scenarios in it combat wise, I also loved how in the driving (NOT BOATING) section you really felt like you had covered a lot of distance. I just hate hearing about it as if it was a perfect game from a lot of people. But that is just me, I have my own bias.

Zicdab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Overrated

Halo 4, The Walkind Dead, Journey

Underrated

Assassin's Creed 3, Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Aliens vs. Predator 2

Keysword49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Keysword49

Overrated

Dishonoured

Skyrim

The walking dead

Underrated

New vegas

Persona 4 golden (93% on meta is a snub!)

World at war (Definitely the best cod)

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated:

Halo (Every last single one of them)

Saints Row The Third

Gears of War (Every last single one of them)

Call of Duty (Everything except for CoD1, 2, and 4)

Borderlands (Both of them. I damn near fell asleep playing Borderlands 2 towards the end of the game. Fetch quests aren't fun, a game built around fetch quests is even worse.)

(Yes I know that's a lot more than 5, but I'll be fucked if I'm not adding in CoD or Borderlands)

Underrated:

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Yakuza 3

Lost Odyssey

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried to think about what I would write for each list but I can't come up with anything because I like Video Games.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#60  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Overrated:

Journey

Borderlands

GTA 4

Additional overrated:

Saints Row The Third

Half Life 2

Underrated:

Bully

Metroid series

Dark Souls

Donkey Kong

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mb: +1 for Descent.

Overrated:

- Dead Space [I absolutely hate the half-assed camera position in this game.]

- Final Fantasy series [I honestly only like the first one. I tried X and I dropped it after Blitz Ball... and Wakka.]

- Borderlands 2 [GearBox, shame on you! What you tried fixing one thing in the first game, you broke three other things in this one.]

Underrated:

- Descent [Heh, I'd like to see modern CoD players try handling this monster.]

- Beyond Good & Evil [Finally we have a realistic practical female lead here. This is one of the very few games that I had an emotional impact while playing it.]

- The Penumbra series [Anyone here who thinks that 'horror genre = weapons' is sadly mistaken. Vulnerability is the key here.]

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I reject the premise and even the concept that a subjective piece of work can be overrated. It is a disgusting piece of arrogance.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over Rated:

GTA4- It was impressive at the time, but now I'm convinced that game will not age gracefully.

MGS4- I believe this game's greatest strength is that it's a sequel to MGS 1, 2, and 3. It's greatest weakness is that it's a sequel to MGS 1, 2 and 3. It pays homage to those great games, but doesn't do anything that's as interesting as the previous games.

Mass Effect 2- I don't like the direction the series went. ME1 was a better game in almost every aspect.

Under Rated:

MGS2- I don't understand the hate for Raiden. He's not as cool as Snake, but that's kind of the point. I think the people that hate this game just don't get it. After playing it several times I see it's flaws, but I feel like it is the most ambitious MGS. Weak in a lot of areas, but still my favorite.

Super Mario Sunshine- Ever notice people hate the follow ups to the greatest games ever made?

Bayonetta- Why this almost never got a sequel is beyond me. Mechanically there has never been a better action game.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Overrated:

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

The parry mechanic in this game, I feel, is too strong of a defensive tool. Parries in this game are too safe for how much of a reward they can offer. I realize that when you try to parry, you're taking a risk by pressing forward, but really, taking that risk is only as dangerous as walking. Other games which incorporate a parry mechanic add some risk to parries by giving them whiff animations, and usually scale damage heavily after a parry. In SFIII, there is no whiff animation, and there is no damage scaling coming off from a parry. While SFIII's parrying mechanic is fun and still requires a deal of timing and precision to use, I feel it hurts the depth of the game because of how effective it is. It's not nearly as risky as a DP, and it offers a much better reward. It's a universal defensive option that makes many of the other defensive options in the game obsolete.

Borderlands

Blah. Borderlands played like a mediocre FPS, and felt pretty shallow as an RPG. I don't feel that the two genres blended together well in Borderlands. The original Mass Effect had a similar problem where it was kind of weak in the game-play department, but Mass Effect at least had an interesting plot that kept the game exciting, and had its own twist on the TPS genre with Tech and Biotics. I didn't look forward to much in Borderlands. No plot to keep me intrigued, no characters to keep me invested, no new game-play mechanics to keep things fresh, nothing. I only played because my friends were playing it.

Shadow of the Colossus

I enjoyed SotC, but I not to the same level as many other people do. It's repetitive and unchallenging. For such giant and powerful creatures, they don't provide much of a challenge. I admire the game's artistic qualities, but unfortunately it takes more than fantastic sound and art direction to impress me.

Underrated:

Melty Blood: Actress Again: Current Code

Not enough people play this game. It's an unfairly misunderstood title within the fighting game community. It carries the stigma of being an "anime fighter", where people think it's all about panty shots and waifus, a game people play only because of its "anime-ness." But in reality, Melty is focused pretty much entirely on providing deep, competitive gameplay. There actually is very little fan-service to speak of, despite bearing visual novel roots. And anyway, Tsukihime was never about the H. Out of all the fighting games I have played, Melty Blood is my absolute favourite, as it is essentially a melting pot of all fighting game mechanics. You have parries (very risky unlike in SFIII), you have alpha counters, you have air-dashes and double jumps, bursts, dodges, EXs, Supers and what have you. Plus, Melty has a few things of its own such as its unique super meter, and reverse beat mechanics. This sounds like it could get as messy as MUGEN, but it's not. What's fantastic is that all these mechanics come together very naturally in Melty Blood. Pressure, defence and movement in Melty is unlike pressure, defence and movement in any other fighting game.

Saints Row 2

SR2 is great. I had more fun with SR2 than I have with any of the GTA games I've played. It's got a likeable cast of characters, a surprisingly interesting plot, and is hilarious. I'd hate for people to miss out on SR2 just because they think it's a simple GTA clone.

Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution

Just because it plays completely different from PSO I and II, doesn't mean it can't be as enjoyable. PSO III is a beautiful combination of Turn-based Strategy and Collectible Card Game. It's every bit as addictive as its already ridiculously addictive predecessors. I enjoyed collecting cards, building decks and strategies, and making tactical decisions in the TBS portion of the game, all with the flavour of PSO.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#65  Edited By crithon

Over rated

- Zelda A Link to the Past and Wind Waker

- Deus Ex (original)

- Elder Scroll series - I'm always reminded of Hexen series only better

Under Rated

- Astroboy Omega Factor

- Tetris Attack

- Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons arcade games

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This took me a while, because I think games are rated quite justly.

Overrated:

Dragon age: I enjoyed it, but there is some crazy love for this game.

Diablo 2: I played it when it came out and never revisited it (also, really liked it) but it wasn't until about Diablo 3's launch that I realized there was so much reverence for what I only thought was, "Pretty good."

Dark souls: Played the hell out of this game at this point, but it weirds me out when somebody says, "I can play this forever." This extends to Skyrim, too.

Underrated:

Dungeons & dragons online: maybe at first it was kind of terrible, but now it just kind of feels like a gw style game to me.

Dreamfall: I don't remember a lot of talk about this game when it came out, but it was pretty effective to me, at least on an emotional level. Even with the reverence I hold for the first game, I didn't feel like this didn't anything too horrific other than feeling like only part of the story.

Digimon World: It was alright.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Overrated:

Uncharted 2

Mario Galaxy

Super Smash Brothers

Underrated: