#1 Edited by falserelic (5480 posts) -

It can be any game that you've played. That you feel could have became something more. I'll start off with a game I feel has potential.

El Shaddai: Ascension Of The Metatron- Even though I platinum and had alot of fun playing this game. There are somethings that I feel could have been better. The combat needed to be improved. There's only 3 weapons 1 power and no upgrade system. Throughout the whole game you'll be pulling off most of the same combos, and fighting the same types of enemies which will feel repetitive overtime. The game also needs more variety and non linear levels.

The story was good but could have been told better. There's some parts in the game that might be confusing and hard to understand on your first playthrough. Now there is a sequel to this game being made. If they address the problems with the first game I'll be happy. The game has a cool concept and if the developers put more ideas into it. I think it will become a game that alot of people will enjoy.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

I feel lonely on this topic. Is there anybody who thinks a game got potential?

#3 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

You should stick to making crazy threads about beating the shit out of some guy for touching your thigh, and then that guy would throw you through a window. Threads like that are pure gold, instead of, you know, threads with some conversational value. Anyway

If you played it, you'd know. I guess it wouldn't be unfair to say that the trailer had potential.

#4 Posted by ProfessorK (825 posts) -

Funny enough there is a thread about some guy choosing between Alpha Protocol and Bulletstorm. I really think that AP should get a second chance and with improved gameplay mechanics holds alot of potential.

#5 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@ProfessorK said:

Funny enough there is a thread about some guy choosing between Alpha Protocol and Bulletstorm. I really think that AP should get a second chance and with improved gameplay mechanics holds alot of potential.

Alpha Protocol definitely has potential.

#6 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

If this thread doesn't go anywhere soon. Then I'll just have almighty mod to pull the plug. I'll just come up with another random topic. Even though I like making ridiculous threads. Now and then I want to have a civil thread about games. But as you see its just not working out for me. Even though I want to have a discussion about the potential in some games.

People just don't want to give in the time to talk. I notice if I make negative threads I get peoples attention. People find negative threads more entertaining. But I'm not trying to go down that road again. That road is long dark and lonely. Its a road that leads to nowhere and it never ends. The further I go down the darker it gets.

#7 Posted by TheJohn (554 posts) -

Patience, duder. This thread is a mere three hours old, and a large part of America is just now getting out of bed.

#8 Posted by mosespippy (4379 posts) -

I feel like Mirror's Edge as a franchise has potential. I really enjoyed the political setting in the original. The government that monitors everything and the messengers that undermine that monitoring was an interesting dynamic. It also helps that the act of running, which is the games bigest mechanic, is also a main part of the dynamic.

The game got fairly average reviews. Apparently the game wasn't great and it wasn't bad; at least according to the critics. So I decided that it wasn't worth $60 and that I'd wait till it was $40. The price dropped straight from $60 to $20 so I guess it didn't sell well. After playing through the first time I really didn't like it. I think everyone has that reaction though since it is difficult to master the controls. Once you have command of the controls it really is a fantastic experience. I feel like most critics didn't fully master the controls so they didn't really get all that the game had to offer and the reviews reflected it. If you give the game some time then it really is fantastic. Unfortunately due to sales I don't think a second one will happen for a long time. At least the 2D flash game and iOS game are keeping the franchise in the public eye so it's not like EA have given up on it all together.

I also don't think having red line tell you where to go helped since it eliminated the need to explore. I knew to turn it off right away so that it wouldn't affect my first play through but I imagine most people just followed the red line from start to finish without poking around the levels.

#9 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

I feel like Mirror's Edge as a franchise has potential. I really enjoyed the political setting in the original. The government that monitors everything and the messengers that undermine that monitoring was an interesting dynamic. It also helps that the act of running, which is the games bigest mechanic, is also a main part of the dynamic.

The game got fairly average reviews. Apparently the game wasn't great and it wasn't bad; at least according to the critics. So I decided that it wasn't worth $60 and that I'd wait till it was $40. The price dropped straight from $60 to $20 so I guess it didn't sell well. After playing through the first time I really didn't like it. I think everyone has that reaction though since it is difficult to master the controls. Once you have command of the controls it really is a fantastic experience. I feel like most critics didn't fully master the controls so they didn't really get all that the game had to offer and the reviews reflected it. If you give the game some time then it really is fantastic. Unfortunately due to sales I don't think a second one will happen for a long time. At least the 2D flash game and iOS game are keeping the franchise in the public eye so it's not like EA have given up on it all together.

I also don't think having red line tell you where to go helped since it eliminated the need to explore. I knew to turn it off right away so that it wouldn't affect my first play through but I imagine most people just followed the red line from start to finish without poking around the levels.

I've played mirror's edge it has interesting ideas. That could have been worked out better. It does have potential to become a fantastic game. I heard the developers had thoughts on making a sequel to mirrors edge. If they do decide to make a sequel it will be interesting to see the new content they'll bring.

#10 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto. That series is definitely going places.

#11 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Fragile Dreams: Farewell ruins of the moon.

Yeah... I did a review on it... it kicks that much ass and is incredible!

#12 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@mtcantor said:

Grand Theft Auto. That series is definitely going places.

I agree even though GTA 4 was abit of a letdown. I hope they can do things right with GTA 5.

#13 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

I think the Cursed Crusade had lots of potential, but failed pretty much. The theme and atmosphere were a good idea, unfortunately it was carried out rather sloppy.

DC Universe Online could have been an addicting game, if lvl cap wouldn't be 30 and the whole fun wouldn't start end-game. I never got there because I lost patience and leveling felt boring.

Dead Island had over-the-top-great-awesome-motherf*cking potential - but has no third-person view D: I mean, I get the whole "first-person-view makes you more scary because you can't see what's happening next to you or behind you", but combat felt so clunky I was overrun a few times. Zombies + RPG = Awesome, but gimme some TPV next time :[

Dungeon Siege III. With a game like DS as it's predecessor, the potential was nearly endless. But what they made of it... oh, the disappointment.

At least those were the ones I could think of right now.

#14 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I'm gonna say it.

Dragon Age 2.

yup. that game had TONS of potential. you could see the framework and ideas of a great game in there. some great characters, some really neat moments, clever dialogue. an interesting morally grey, mages vs. templars theme. if they had another year to make that game, im positive it would have been really awesome. put the script through a couple more drafts, develop new maps and a better way to have more enemies show up in battle than just appearing out of thin air.

i even liked the way the story was told, how it would jump years ahead and things would actually be different. they even do some fun things where the guy narrating sorta goes over the top at one point. i actually really enjoyed the Hawke character, i thought it was awesome that if you pick a certain mood dialogue choice consistently enough, it effected his personality, that was a cool idea.

it really could have been an amazing game, and thats why i found it so disappointing, you can SEE the great game, at least the ideas for a great game. it was just rushed.

#15 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4700 posts) -

I felt this way about Lollipop Chainsaw. I love the style they are going for with that game, but they never quite hit the mark. The combat is not very good either, but has some neat ideas that could make a quality combat system.

#16 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I would have to say Spec Ops: The Line. If there isn't a sequel, I would like to see a lot more military games take on this gritty, morally ambiguous direction style. It definitely doesn't glorify war, and that's something different. Homefront tried to do it, and the writing couldn't carry it, but something about Spec Ops stands out.

#17 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@mosespippy:

I agree, Mirror's Edge really had a lot going for it if only they had kept the gunplay out of it, made it longer, added moves, and tighten up the controls.

The other game I think has a lot of potential is Beyond Good and Evil. The best thing about the first game was the world, the atmosphere, the music, the graphics, the characters, etc. All of the things that are incidental to the actual gameplay. The game is certainly fun but the series deserves a game that is not derivative of other games. New gameplay with clever design would really set that franchise apart.

#18 Posted by ToTheNines (788 posts) -

@falserelic said:

If this thread doesn't go anywhere soon. Then I'll just have almighty mod to pull the plug. I'll just come up with another random topic. Even though I like making ridiculous threads. Now and then I want to have a civil thread about games. But as you see its just not working out for me. Even though I want to have a discussion about the potential in some games.

People just don't want to give in the time to talk. I notice if I make negative threads I get peoples attention. People find negative threads more entertaining. But I'm not trying to go down that road again. That road is long dark and lonely. Its a road that leads to nowhere and it never ends. The further I go down the darker it gets.

lmfao

#19 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@Morrow: The developers fucked up The Curse Crusader so badly it was unreal. They had a chance to bring something cool and unique. But everything in the game was half-ass and it shows. I paid 20 bucks on the game on psn and I felt ripped-off. Bad level design, out of date graphics, sluggish barely functional combat, stupid dialogue just about everything. They even made the story boring as shit.

How the hell did they make a story about a demon curse so boring. The only way I can see this game improving with a sequel. If its made by better developers that know what there doing.

#20 Posted by JTB123 (1050 posts) -

@Morrow said:

Dead Island had over-the-top-great-awesome-motherf*cking potential - but has no third-person view D: I mean, I get the whole "first-person-view makes you more scary because you can't see what's happening next to you or behind you", but combat felt so clunky I was overrun a few times. Zombies + RPG = Awesome, but gimme some TPV next time :[

I couldn't agree more, I was really looking forward to Dead Island, but god damn that game had so many problems.

And Prototype would be my choice, I was really hoping they would actually change/improve for the sequel, make the controls more responsive and tighten up the free running mechanics and you have the building blocks of something really awesome. The combat was a little better in 2, but everything just felt so recycled.

@falserelic: For what it's worth, I think this a great idea for a thread.

#21 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@kgb0515 said:

I would have to say Spec Ops: The Line. If there isn't a sequel, I would like to see a lot more military games take on this gritty, morally ambiguous direction style. It definitely doesn't glorify war, and that's something different. Homefront tried to do it, and the writing couldn't carry it, but something about Spec Ops stands out.

Yeah, spec-ops the line had the right Idea. But gameplay wise the developers could have done more. It follows the same path as other generic military cover based shooters. It wasn't a bad game I enjoyed it. But it has potential to do more gameplay wise.

#22 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

I'm gonna say it.

Dragon Age 2.

yup. that game had TONS of potential. you could see the framework and ideas of a great game in there. some great characters, some really neat moments, clever dialogue. an interesting morally grey, mages vs. templars theme. if they had another year to make that game, im positive it would have been really awesome. put the script through a couple more drafts, develop new maps and a better way to have more enemies show up in battle than just appearing out of thin air.

i even liked the way the story was told, how it would jump years ahead and things would actually be different. they even do some fun things where the guy narrating sorta goes over the top at one point. i actually really enjoyed the Hawke character, i thought it was awesome that if you pick a certain mood dialogue choice consistently enough, it effected his personality, that was a cool idea.

it really could have been an amazing game, and thats why i found it so disappointing, you can SEE the great game, at least the ideas for a great game. it was just rushed.

No, I think you're totally right. The game itself wasn't very good, but the idea of scaling it down and focusing on a single place could have been great. There were some really interesting ideas at work in it (that they pretty much threw away at the end), but the bucking of a "save the world!" plot that seemed to get them lots of flak was a positive for me. The execution was definitely lacking.

I'd say Mirror's Edge and LA Noire both have lots of potential.

I don't know if LA Noire will ever see a sequel, but if they fix some of the stuff in it, it could've been a really great game. Honestly

if they had spent more of the game jumping back and forth between Phelps and Kelso instead of relegating it to a final act twist, they could've explored so much more moral and character ground than they ended up doing. They also would've been able to weave all the desks together in a much better fashion, I feel like. Hell, it would even feel way more noir. Man, I wish they had done that.
#23 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Mass Effect 1.
To me it was a universe that rivaled Star Wars, but with 2 and 3 it became way too shootery for me.

I also love the Mount and Blade series a lot, I've been playing Warband since its out now and its almost like some form of chess.
A real story, more quests, co op and who knows what more that can be added, but all of that will only make the game better and perhaps more known.
It deserves it.

#24 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@JTB123 said:

Prototype would be my choice

Oh really? It had some shortcomings, like the graphics, but generally I really enjoyed this game. Alex Mercer <3

I don't think every game has to be high-polished, if the gameplay is fun enough or it just grabs you. Prototype is one of my favourite games :)

#25 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I think the whole Bully world has a huge amount of potential. The subjects they could touch on and worlds they could create are really interesting to think about, and what makes it really special is that its a game about a type of character you've never really played as in any other game. I didn't find too much depth in the main character of Bully and I can't tell if, for another one, I would want a more realized and realistic protagonist or a crude and fun one like the original.

#26 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma is this way for me. Some people really love the game but I just can't get into it. Despite not liking it I can see some really cool ideas and if they improve some aspects it could turn into a really cool series.

#27 Edited by FesteringNeon (2165 posts) -

I am not a spokesperson for this game, I swear, but Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Batlle-Cars. It does so many things right, and it's such an addicting little game.. that it's hard not to want to see what another rebuilt version from scratch would look and play like if given a bigger budget.

#28 Edited by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@upwarDBound said:

Dragon's Dogma is this way for me. Some people really love the game but I just can't get into it. Despite not liking it I can see some really cool ideas and if they improve some aspects it could turn into a really cool series.

Dragon's Dogma has some neat ideas. But yeah there some stuff that could have been better. 1 thing that bugged me the most about the game was traveling. I remember losing my fucking temper alot. Because I end up going on some long epic journey filled with bullshit. Just to get killed off by a random monster that caught me off guard. Having to repeat my travels all over again was a pain in my ass.

#29 Posted by ThePickle (4190 posts) -

Trash Panic.

I really do love this game, but there's definitely tons of room for improvement. For starters, design it like it's a game for the 2000's. There's no reason why I have to restart the game from the beginning every time I try the main mode again. More user feedback would also be great. I lose, but I don't know what I did wrong. The lack of item randomization helps when trying to beat the levels, but eliminates any replay value for those levels on that difficulty. So if you want to do them on a harder difficulty, you have to beat the entire game again. And God-fucking-forbid you decide to take a break and turn off your PS3 because then it's back to level 1 the next time you decide to give it a go.

This game had so much potential it hurts. It's Tetris with trash and physics. I don't mind it being hard, but there are numerous design issues that are just remnants from a bygone era. It's been 3 years from its release so any sequel seems out of the question which is a real shame because dropping baseball diamonds on top of dams will never not be fun.

#30 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Mount and Blade. Not that's it's not already fantastically awesome, but I feel that it could definitely go a lot of interesting places.

#31 Posted by AjayRaz (12465 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I felt this way about Lollipop Chainsaw. I love the style they are going for with that game, but they never quite hit the mark. The combat is not very good either, but has some neat ideas that could make a quality combat system.

yup this is how i felt too. it wasn't terrible but it never hit the potential that it had.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

Fragile Dreams: Farewell ruins of the moon.

Yeah... I did a review on it... it kicks that much ass and is incredible!

I'm not sure you understand what the topic is about. That's not a video game that has potential; that's just a video game that not enough people have played.

#33 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Your mom.

Because Octodad from the mom's perspective would be great.

@Morrow: Third person would take everything that was interesting about Dead Island away. So no. It's not third person, and wouldn't have been better in third person. That is silly. It's not a hack and slash, it's a first person game.

Fuck everyone who says Mirror's Edge! That game was great, and didn't have any gunplay! Wasn't perfect but bitching about something you never had to touch is fuckin silly. Bitch about fighting ninjas cause that was kinda janky (though awesome when it wasn't being super janky) but the gunplay is just an easy thing to rag on despite A) being fine and B) intentionally pushing the player away from it because you were never supposed to do anything with those guns. It doesn't have potential, it fulfilled it's potential! Mirror's Edge 2 will probably be more awesome and get less shit though, I'll give you that.

My top answer is Alpha Protocol. That kind of intrigue is rarely attempted in games, and I can't even remember the last time it was terribly well done. But in that game, it's awesome. The stealth gameplay was actually pretty engaging too. Only problem came when you needed to get into actual combat, especially with a certain coked out Russian. The characters, the idea of an RPG shooter (which I want to see more of in that AP/Mass Effect (original Mass Effect) style. Alpha Protocol had the simplified RPG system that Mass Effect 2 should have had instead of the torn down, barely built back up excuse for a skill system it ended up with.

@Clonedzero: I'm going to say that as Dragon Age 2 that game never had any potential at all for a lot of people, because it was basically a "fuck you" for anyone that wanted more Dragon Age Origins. I liked the look, the feel, and the characters of Dragon Age: Origins, and I never wanted a sequel with kinda ugly stylized visuals or a main character who's mother had tits the size of fucking watermelons. But as a side thing, I could see it being cool. Or maybe a downloadable thing for 20 spacebucks.

#34 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

Sonic...

Now just think just how stupid and unrealistic that answer is for a second... I am kidding of course but the fine folks at Sega believe so much in the franchise that they named it one of their pillars to support and grow the company in the future.

#35 Posted by mosespippy (4379 posts) -

To be clear, I think Mirror's Edge is a great game. I think the franchise has potential, while the game met it's potential.

@JasonR86 said:

@mosespippy:

I agree, Mirror's Edge really had a lot going for it if only they had kept the gunplay out of it, made it longer, added moves, and tighten up the controls.

The other game I think has a lot of potential is Beyond Good and Evil. The best thing about the first game was the world, the atmosphere, the music, the graphics, the characters, etc. All of the things that are incidental to the actual gameplay. The game is certainly fun but the series deserves a game that is not derivative of other games. New gameplay with clever design would really set that franchise apart.

I actually think the gunplay is fine. When you grab a gun all you have is the bullets in that gun. More games should be like that. The enemies are only there to encourage the player to RUN, which is what the game does best so it works as intended. If you could easily shoot everyone then there would be no need to run anywhere. I also agree with the developers when they say that Faith doesn't know how to handle a gun so it slows her down and she's shit at using them. It fits with the fiction. I do think that if a sequel ever happens that Faith will carry a hand gun that she can quickly pull out and fire off a shot or two but it shouldn't be a big part of the game.

I don't think the game was too short either. It tok me about 9 or 10 hours to do it the first time and part of the reason it took me so long was because I didn't have a red line telling me exactly where to go. Now that I've done all the speed runs and time trials I can beat it in a couple hours but that is certainly not going to happen for anyone on their first try. And the controls are fine once you know how the spacing on each move. Once you know how far each step and jump is going to take you then the controls are great.

BG&E did have potential but I think that game loses it's charm once you go to the moon. It absolutely jumps the shark narratively.

@falserelic: Mirror's Edge 2 has been started and canceled a number of times. Riccitiello and DICE want to do it but the business of churning out Battlefield keeps DICE too busy. Mirror's Edge will never be more profitable than Battlefield, just like Burnout will never be more popular than Need For Speed. Sometimes I hate business decisions.

#36 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Your mom.

Because Octodad from the mom's perspective would be great.

Good Luck With That! that sounds ASWOME!

#37 Posted by FesteringNeon (2165 posts) -

Also Mutant League Football / Hockey. I'm ready.

#38 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

I may get backlash for this but I feel starhawk has potential. I got the game haven't beat it yet but I find it to be boring. Single player feels more like a tutorial for the multiplayer. In the multiplayer people mainly use hawks and rocket launchers. I don't know maybe I should play the game some more before I judge. But so far I'm just not feeling it.

#39 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@mosespippy:

I just didn't want to shot period. What's great about that game is the sense of momentum and forward progress. Even when you have to solve how to reach a place using platforming that gameplay still had momentum. The gun parts felt slow and clunky. Give me a one-hit attack that takes care of enemies while I continue to run forward. The only time I wanted to slow down was for the puzzle platforming. In my perfect Mirror's Edge 2 game all of the momentum outside of those platforming segments would be fast and focus on momentum. There would be no guns to shoot.

#40 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -
@falserelic said:

govermentcheese? Is that you?
#41 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@falserelic said:

govermentcheese? Is that you?

Its just me your friendly neighborhood FalseRelic. I'm a relic that makes the sun jealous because of the way I shine. I'm a relic that's been wrongly chosen. I'm the relic that's been forgotten abandon and lost all this time. I'm a relic that shouldn't even exist. Because my false ways tend to get the best of me.

#42 Posted by JTB123 (1050 posts) -

@Morrow: Don't get me wrong, I don't think Prototype is bad (far from it actually). I just really feel there's potential for it to be a lot better than it is and the sequel really squandered that opportunity. I think the first game is extremely under rated.

#43 Posted by koleaidify (7 posts) -

I felt that Awesomenauts had potential. If the studio didn't go bankrupt and fix some of the problems of the game and release more characters, maps, ect it would of been much more of a game . Is it just me?

#44 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

Another game I think has alot of potential is brink. The game seem like it had good ideas going for it. But was executed poorly by the developers. Everything in the game felt rushed and not thought out well.