• 60 results
#1 Posted by RedCream (694 posts) -

Hey duders, I was just thinking about how games are founded in combat. All of the great games I can think of gameplay wise revolves around killing enemy dudes the most efficient way or collecting loot to get stronger. It seems like majority of the games I can think of has semblance of combat in it. So can you name great games without combat? And further to the point, are games dismissed as "not an art" because most if it is structured in a way that boils down to you having to resort to mindless violence and fight enemies all the way through?

#2 Posted by Zella (836 posts) -

Journey, there are enemies but you can only really run from them.

#3 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

most adventure games

#4 Posted by Turambar (6898 posts) -

SimCity

#5 Edited by WarlordPayne (706 posts) -

Animal Crossing, the dozens of Harvest Moon games, most puzzle games, Portal(?), Trauma Center games...all those just off the top of my head.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
  • Ace Attorney series
  • Ghost Trick
  • Catherine
  • Rhythm Heaven series
  • Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
  • Portal series

Dunno about the art question.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

If that counts, then Katawa Shoujo definitely counts.

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

No, because Katawa Shoujo isn't a great game.

#9 Edited by mosespippy (4468 posts) -

Where is My Heart? is really great and has no combat. VVVVVV is another one. They do have death, but no combat. Portal is mostly non combative. The turrets are combative but the way to defeat them is pretty passive agressive.

A key part of all storytelling is conflict. It could be man vs self, man vs man (individual or group), or man vs nature. Conflict is likely to lead to combat, so I'm not surprised that combat is so predominant in games.

EDIT: I'll add more as I think of them but for now here's two more.

• Professor Layton series
  • Everyday the Same Dream
#10 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

No, because Katawa Shoujo isn't a great game.

Word

#11 Posted by Brodehouse (10138 posts) -
@RedCream: Games are not based upon combat, but all drama is based upon conflict.  The basest and easiest to display would be mortal combat.  Solving puzzles, traversing land, talking to characters or completing various tasks through gameplay are all very common.  But they're far less visceral and rarely have the same depth of gameplay you can find in physical battle.  Without conflict you have no drama, without drama you have no game.

Would you consider hopping on a goomba's head to be combat?  Or even violent?  Most sports games have more violence in them than Mario.
#12 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -
#13 Posted by august (3866 posts) -
Front
#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ:

#15 Posted by Colt45 (57 posts) -

Tetris?

#16 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Tetris?

#17 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

trauma center

#18 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Pong?

#19 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

The Game of Life?

#20 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

I doubt you're asking for handheld games or anime games, so let me try and help. 
Ok let's see here... 

...Aaaaand I'm out! Yeah, it seems the only games that don't have combat are either indie games, stealth games or artsy games. That's a damn shame. 

I wonder what adventure games don't have any combat. Any adventure fans able to answer that question?
#21 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1745 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

• Ace Attorney series
  • Ghost Trick
  • Catherine
  • Rhythm Heaven series
  • Portal series

I think you and I might have the exact same tastes.

#22 Posted by RedCream (694 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@RedCream: Games are not based upon combat, but all drama is based upon conflict. The basest and easiest to display would be mortal combat. Solving puzzles, traversing land, talking to characters or completing various tasks through gameplay are all very common. But they're far less visceral and rarely have the same depth of gameplay you can find in physical battle. Without conflict you have no drama, without drama you have no game. Would you consider hopping on a goomba's head to be combat? Or even violent? Most sports games have more violence in them than Mario.

Yes that's right. Thank you kind sir!

#23 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Pitfall

Rock Band etc.

Pac-Man (arguably, you do eat the ghosts)

Lode Runner

Myst

Raskulls

Arkanoid

Uplink (or Hacker if you want to go back to the C64)

#24 Posted by mosespippy (4468 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: I've got the platinum trophy in Mirror's Edge and it is not possible to complete it without combat. You don't have to kill anyone but there is still the boss fight with Celeste and one other place where you need to disarm at least one soldier to advance. It is a great game and it is designed to be played by avoiding combat but it is not unavoidable.

@nintendoeats said:

Pong?

Is a sports game.

#25 Posted by kindone (2843 posts) -
@Brodehouse
@RedCream: Games are not based upon combat, but all drama is based upon conflict.  The basest and easiest to display would be mortal combat.  Solving puzzles, traversing land, talking to characters or completing various tasks through gameplay are all very common.  But they're far less visceral and rarely have the same depth of gameplay you can find in physical battle.  Without conflict you have no drama, without drama you have no game.

Would you consider hopping on a goomba's head to be combat?  Or even violent?  Most sports games have more violence in them than Mario.
You spelled Kombat wrong.
#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@mosespippy said:

@AhmadMetallic: I've got the platinum trophy in Mirror's Edge and it is not possible to complete it without combat. You don't have to kill anyone but there is still the boss fight with Celeste and one other place where you need to disarm at least one soldier to advance. It is a great game and it is designed to be played by avoiding combat but it is not unavoidable.

I would say that that one boss battle and the couple of times you're forced to make contact with a soldier within a game that mostly consists of parkour and escaping/chasing people doesn't really count as standard "combat" because it's a few incidents within a long game.
#27 Posted by Pop (2651 posts) -

Amnesia: The dark descent, games in the penumbra series, u can kill some enemies by pulling a rope and making a box fall on them.

Super Meat Boy doesn't have combat, I can't think of anything else that is really good and doesn't have combat.

#28 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

The Myst series.

#29 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@nintendoeats said:

Pong?

Is a sports game.

True.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

Pac-Man (arguably, you do eat the ghosts)

Then again, the game is open to all kinds of interpretation. For example, did you know that Pac Man is actually an expy of Freddie Mercury?

#31 Edited by w00ties (186 posts) -
#32 Posted by AssInAss (2747 posts) -

Adventure games, puzzle games, artistic games, take your pick.

#33 Edited by SaFt (390 posts) -

Amnesia: The dark descent

The Phoenix wright games.

Animal Crossing.

Harvest Moon

Last Window: The secret of cape west.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Another Code

#34 Edited by RNiemeijer (133 posts) -

@ervonymous said:

Excellent game, but it has combat.

-

#35 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Amnesia: the Dark Descent
Penumbra trilogy
Limbo
Portal and Portal 2 and/or... any other puzzle game
Pretty much any adventure game, as well.
etc ^^

#36 Posted by BatmanBatman (444 posts) -

Viva Piñata series..

if you don't count all the "shoveling" I guess

#37 Posted by RetroVirus (1492 posts) -

Amnesia the Dark Descent.

#38 Posted by Demoskinos (15180 posts) -

Crayon Physics Deluxe and Cogs both on steam both great games.

#39 Edited by MocBucket62 (1262 posts) -

Bejeweled. I took out my previous post since I forgot sports games can't be in this thread.

#40 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@RNiemeijer: Gah, I had a feeling it might. I've yet to play it for more than two minutes, busted.

#41 Posted by thisguyrich (88 posts) -

burnout paradise, unless you consider that a sports game.

#42 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4897 posts) -

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories didn't have combat. It did have monsters warped right from your subconscious desires, though.

Still love that game.

#43 Posted by BeachThunder (12442 posts) -

Is this the adventure/puzzle game recommendation thread?

Anyway, there's far too many to list, so, I'll just say Stacking.

#44 Posted by Echofoxz (98 posts) -

To the Moon

#45 Posted by Little_Socrates (5718 posts) -

@ervonymous said:

SOMEBODY ELSE HAS PLAYED THIS WONDERFUL GAME

I CAN DIE HAPPY

Fez.

#46 Posted by Levius (1231 posts) -

Hey what about all of the management games, the sim cities ( and most of the other sim games), roller coaster tycoon and theme hospital were all great.

#47 Posted by Zaccheus (1806 posts) -
#48 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -

There are tons of games I've played that have no combat . It's really not hard to find em.

#49 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
#50 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -