• 95 results
#1 Posted by downtime58 (224 posts) -

Outside of the typical GOTY candidates like Far Cry 3, XCOM, or Journey - what one game did you love this year that isn't appearing on anyone's lists?

For me, one of the games that I enjoyed most this year was Gotham City Impostors. While the game play certainty took notes liberally from Team Fortress, the game's tight controls, fast moving combat and bizarre humor had me hooked for about a month.

What games do you feel flew under the radar this year that are worth giving a try?

#2 Edited by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

Train Simulator 2013, Farm Simulator 2013

#3 Posted by Ares42 (2662 posts) -

Awesomenauts. It was a different arcadey take on MOBA and it didn't have a bagillion characters and items etc that made it hard to get into. It's just the perfect game for the person who like MOBAs but don't have the time or patience to get fully invested a full-fledged title.

#4 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -
#5 Posted by BigDaddy81 (325 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma. Sure it was far from perfect, but it was one of the most enjoyable games I played all year. I was glad to hear that Capcom is planning on making a sequel to this highly underrated game.

#6 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

You all forgot Twisted Metal came out like a week after release.

And that makes you terrible people.

#7 Posted by dr_mantas (1874 posts) -

Little Inferno.

#8 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

You all forgot Twisted Metal came out like a week after release.

And that makes you terrible people.

The online multiplayer was a nightmare, but the splitscreen was fantastic and single player was decent. Damn shame it got such little love.

I think diablo 3 has been forgotten by many.

#9 Edited by Yummylee (21621 posts) -

I would usually post The Darkness II in a thread like this, but I've noticed it cropping up on a surprising number of our user GOTY lists so I think it's still getting its due. Besides that... Silent Hill: Downpour, I guess? Though that's a very strange case for me since while it's one of my most loved games of the year, it's also one such game that I can't help but hesitate in recommending. I suppose it's somewhat of a guilty pleasure since for as much as I enjoyed it, I'm still very aware of its many, many flaws.

#10 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

The Darkness 2 and QUBE.

#11 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure

#12 Posted by ESREVER (2689 posts) -

Malicious. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that played that. It's my #3 for this year.

#13 Posted by TheMasterDS (2066 posts) -

I don't know it's being forgotten but Diablo 3 is pretty high on my list. I'd also like to see Syndicate get more love, I think it's a game that would be a great shooter even without its core innovation, hacking, which is integrated so perfectly into all aspects of the game it's incredible. Hacking in Syndicate feels like a fully fleshed out idea and most of the systems within the game plug into it perfectly. Hacking allies to health, hacking big tough enemies' shields away, hacking grenades, etcetera, all feels perfectly natural to the point to the point where I really wish more games had hacking mechanisms.

Other than that I don't know. Has Sound Shapes appeared on anyone's list yet? It's my #2. Yeah, I'll go with Sound Shapes. The rest of the games I played either didn't make my list or made it low enough where I'm fine they're not getting love elsewhere. (Crashmo is at 10 for instance and I don't care it's not getting love. Perfectly reasonable that it's not on other people's list, it's only on mine because I trudged through 5 hours of Far Cry 3 Story Quests to unlock the second island and decided the degree to which I hated the missions lost it its spot. Unfortunate really.)

#14 Edited by EVO (3908 posts) -

Dear Esther. I haven't seen it on anyones GOTY list.

#15 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

D3 and Twisted Metal, honestly didn;t play that many new releases this year. Also Borderlands 2 seems to not appear on anyone's list yet either.

MY GOTY would be CS:GO, but that's cause I am CS Fiend and have been for nearly half my life....god that's scary.

#16 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2219 posts) -

So far Kingdoms of Amalur hasn't appeared on any of the GB crew's lists and I loved that game.

#17 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Awesomenauts, without a doubt. 
It makes me sad to see it go on sale and then nobody buying it because they only wanna download "good games" on Steam like.. SimCity 4.(oh yeah, SimCity 4, woo greeaat ugh) and Velvet Assassin and Of Orcs and Men. 

I mean, really. It costs less than $4(or 4€ if that's your thing since, you know, Valve and their "omg! $1 = 1€!"... retards)

#18 Posted by Giantstalker (1647 posts) -

Wargame: European Escalation, a strategy game seemingly nobody else played. And yet it's the best thing since World in Conflict, it's that good.

#19 Posted by T00L (10 posts) -

@BigDaddy81 said:

Dragon's Dogma. Sure it was far from perfect, but it was one of the most enjoyable games I played all year. I was glad to hear that Capcom is planning on making a sequel to this highly underrated game.

Dragons Dogma for sure, I loved it so much that it's even my personal Game of the year. The fighting mechanics are just that good ! The art style is great, you can play 9 different classes, which you can change at any time, the customization possibilites of your character are endless, and the difficulty is challenging but fair. And although many people complained about the barely existing fast travel system, I personally loved it that you had to plan your travels, especially when it got dark. If Capcom is working on it's very rare issues, the sequel is gonna be fucking great.

Plus, when you ever climbed on a back of a dragon and fight him when he actually starts flying around, you'll never ever want to go back to this paper dragons in Skyrim.

#20 Posted by JacDG (2124 posts) -

I had a lot of fun with Prototype 2 and Gotham City Imposters.

#21 Posted by Akeldama (4246 posts) -

@EVO said:

If it means anything to you, it is certainly high on mine.

#22 Posted by zeus_gb (595 posts) -
#23 Edited by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

While I haven't played the full version, LBP Karting wan't supposed to be too shabby

#24 Posted by EVO (3908 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

@EVO said:

If it means anything to you, it is certainly high on mine.

Sweet. Link me to your list, I'm interested to see what else made it.

#25 Posted by BeachThunder (11927 posts) -
Quantum Conundrum: Colourful & quirky visuals, fun puzzles and mechanics, and a great soundtrack.
Legend of Grimrock: Great atmosphere, really involved and rewarding puzzles, discovering and exploring the dungeon is exciting and thrilling.
Resonance: Well developed story and characters, clever mechanic of using memories/thoughts as inventory.
#26 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Little Inferno, that game is incredible!

Oh and its not GOTY material but the latest Ratchet and Clank game (Q Force) has a fantastic multiplayer mode.

#27 Posted by forkboy (1151 posts) -

Crusader Kings II is the one that comes to mind first. It was never going to get Giant Bomb love because it's kind of absurd & difficult to initially wrap your head around, but boy is it wonderful once you do work out what everything does & why. Strategy games don't get much better.

#28 Posted by Svenzon (720 posts) -

Lone Survivor! A horror game that actually manages to be really scary.

#29 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

Silent Hill: Downpour and Dragon's Dogma. :-/

#30 Posted by Asberg (78 posts) -

Thomas Was Alone

#31 Posted by Aterons (198 posts) -

Kingdoms of Amalur for sure id say.

#32 Posted by Abendlaender (2803 posts) -

Generally speaking or from the Bombcrew? Cause I'm kinda sad that it seems like nobody really got into Dishonored. But it's getting enough praise from other sites so whatever.

Legend of Grimrock is criminally missing everwhere (as was Binding of Isaac which for me is lightyears better then FTL). Also kinda sad is the omission of Xenoblade on a lot of lists cause that game actually kicks ass and I neither care for the Wii anymore nor have I ever cared for a JRPG since Final Fantasy VI. Lone Survivor needs a bit more love cause that game is fantastic.

#33 Posted by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

Wargame: European Escalation, a strategy game seemingly nobody else played. And yet it's the best thing since World in Conflict, it's that good.

Yay someone else posted Wargame :D

#34 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4798 posts) -

I'd say Silent Hill: Downpour was a better game than Patrick tried to fool everyone into believing. His lack of direction unfortunately penalized a game that, while flawed, did a damn good job bringing something new to the Silent Hill table.

#35 Posted by BigSocrates (349 posts) -

Forza Horizon. Yes Ryan put it in his top 10, and I'll be surprised if it's not in Jeff's, but it just hasn't been getting a lot of mention in general, which is too bad because it was one of the best racing games in years. It seems like the guys from those British racing studios can't catch a break in terms of sales or attention even when they put out a top-notch product. Is racing just on the outs as a genre? Because if an accessible game where you can tune and race Ferraris and ALSO go toe to toe in a Mustang against a plane can't get any traction...

#36 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2029 posts) -

@forkboy said:

Crusader Kings II is the one that comes to mind first. It was never going to get Giant Bomb love because it's kind of absurd & difficult to initially wrap your head around, but boy is it wonderful once you do work out what everything does & why. Strategy games don't get much better.

I definitely second this.

I just gave CK2 40 hours of a playthrough with the Legacy of Rome and Sunset Invasion DLC and basically reestablished the Roman Empire in enough time to actually give the Aztecs a good schooling in the British Isles (their first landing point in my playthrough) and then proceeding to take the fight to them in liberating Ireland (their second landing point outside of my realm that they managed to conquer entirely as I was kicking their butt across Cornwall and Devon) with a holy war casus belli, kicking them out of the game entirely and annexing Ireland to my empire.

Great stuff. The events kinda get a little repetitive for longer playthroughs involving large realms (my playthrough basically went from 1066-1400 before I resigned), but otherwise I had a heck of a good time. And now I have a really broken start to EU3 after opting to convert my Roman Empire CK2 save to a Europa Universalis 3 save -- it's pretty cool people managed to program a save converter like that.

#37 Posted by bibamatt (1088 posts) -

Tribes Ascend! I was literally screaming it's name when the bombers were trying to fit the third place for Best Revival. It's fucking aaaaaace, and does the free-to-play model really successfully for what it's worth.

#38 Edited by Vextroid (1399 posts) -

Super Monday Night Combat - Never played a MOBA style game before and while It's not truly a MOBA it did mash well with the 3rd person online shooter experience and was one of the most fun online experiences with any online shooter game I've played.

Binary Domain - While the game is standard TPS shooter fair (handles well I must say) it's the characters, wacky set-pieces and story that keeps it going. Still need to finish it. (Also Cain > Big Bo IMO)

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - First off, I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy. Haven't touched the series ever, but I like rhythm games and this one seemed alright, and the music sounded interesting in both the Quick Look and the eShop demo. (Also I needed some games for my 3DS) and was hooked for hours playing songs through out the series and trying to beat my scores and trying harder difficulties. The combo of this and P4 endurance run got me hankering for a JRPG on PC that I picked up FF VII (2012 Update) and will play it after New Years. Definitely in my Top 10 of 2012.

EDIT: well its more than 1 but whatever.

#39 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -
#40 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@jking47 said:

Katawa Shoujo

QFT. Do yourself a favor and play this, jerks.

#41 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Blacklight Retribution is pretty awesome. I haven't heard a lot buzz about that game anywhere really.

#42 Posted by aznan (99 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is currently second on my list, but I have seen no mention of it anywhere else. This is what Final Fantasy XIII should have been, so I guess that's why it didn't get much attention, but solving quests by using the time travel mechanic to jump back and forth between eras was a lot of fun, there were some cool alternate endings, and the characters were all better than in the previous game. They even manage to "fix" the obnoxious Hope Estheim!

#43 Posted by Fire_Of_The_Wind (170 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma, has some of the best renditions of some fantasy monsters like the Beholder, the best boss battles of any RPG and the gameplay and controls are spot on. The story is actually good but spread thin and you'll have to do the side quests to get the most out of the lore and story in the game, you'll have to go looking for it, it doesn't spell it all out for you. I like the fact that you have to plan for your adventure a head of time, buy the necessary items, rest and set out at dawn.

#44 Posted by Atlas (2444 posts) -

Crusader Kings II is the game I've been championing as not only the most under appreciated game of 2012, but as my GOTY too. But plenty of more PC and strategy game focused sites have been giving the game its propers.

#45 Posted by Ghostiet (5269 posts) -

A lot of indie games that came out this year. Little Inferno, Lone Survivor, Closure, Vessel, Snapshot, among others.

#46 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

Darksiders II.

#47 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

Awesomenauts, without a doubt. It makes me sad to see it go on sale and then nobody buying it because they only wanna download "good games" on Steam like.. SimCity 4.(oh yeah, SimCity 4, woo greeaat ugh) and Velvet Assassin and Of Orcs and Men. I mean, really. It costs less than $4(or 4€ if that's your thing since, you know, Valve and their "omg! $1 = 1€!"... retards)

I bought it during the steam sale for 4 bucks and it immediately went on my GOTY list it is a fantastic game, I felt bad about the price I paid for such a great game that I also bought all the costume packs. I've played it for 20 hours so far and I've only had it 4 days.

#48 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -
#49 Posted by ftrevelin (73 posts) -

Mine is Sine Mora, gorgeous graphics, accessible bullet hell and a bat-shit-crazy story that made me want more of that universe.

#50 Posted by pweidman (2333 posts) -

Kingdoms of Amalur for me. Played that for a rediculous amount of hrs, and mostly loved it. The combat and related animations were especially enjoyable.