• 0 results
#1 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Pretty simple. Lots of us play games, and a lot of said games ask to invent a character's name. Kinda curious as to how many people use their real name, or if they don't what names do they tend to stick on characters. 

For me I don't know why, but whenever I play an RPG, I always name my characters Winston. I guess you just never really see that name used anymore, and I find it kindof a strange name for someone trying to save the world.  

Anyway, what do you cats roll with?

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i like the word "Metallic" and use it everywhere

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19307 posts) -

If it's an RPG, I play as myself therefore the main character is named after me.  Those are usually the only games that let you name your character.

#4 Posted by bartok (2419 posts) -

Back in the Game Boy days I had a whole menagerie of offensive named Pokemon.   I want to say I have matured since then but that would be a lie.

#5 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I usually go by the name Gilmot, Gamer_152 or use my real name.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (23871 posts) -

It varies, really.  Sometimes, I use names of characters from my own stories that I've written.  Other times, I try to come up with a name that sounds appropriate to the setting.  I haven't really named a character after myself since I was in high school.

Though I still think the best name I've come up with recently was calling my main character in Nier "Hamburg."  I mean, that face.  Oh, god.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I don't really have a set name.

last time I named a character (devil summoner 2) I called him manny velacruz. I dunno why, he just looked like a manny to me.

#8 Posted by evilrazer (480 posts) -

I use "Banana Mouth" nickname for online games.

#9 Posted by Agent_Eli (136 posts) -

In multiplayer, my name usually has the word "Paragon" in it. Like "Paragon8" or "Paragon8922".

#10 Posted by EVHKwick (452 posts) -

A character with good karma: Kylan 
A character with bad karma: Sigmen

#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -
@bartok said:
" Back in the Game Boy days I had a whole menagerie of offensive named Pokemon.   I want to say I have matured since then but that would be a lie. "
Yep. As recently as HeartGold one could take my level 30 Mr. T and use it to fight my rival, Assface.  
#12 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @bartok said:
" Back in the Game Boy days I had a whole menagerie of offensive named Pokemon.   I want to say I have matured since then but that would be a lie. "
Yep. As recently as HeartGold one could take my level 30 Mr. T and use it to fight my rival, Assface.   "
You are everything that is right in pokemon sir. Continue to fight the good fight against douchebag.
#13 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Jamie. 
Why? Because its my name. I don't see why I would want to use anything else.

#14 Posted by Sigwood (12 posts) -

If it is an RPG, I use the name of the main character from my wife's novel.

If it is a Star Wars game I use Sean Solo, because Sean is my name.

#15 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Dave or David. Tis my name.

#16 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

I use my actual name.

#17 Posted by Yummylee (21243 posts) -

Usually random names that pop into my head. Sometimes I'll even go with the defaults. Not too concerned since the name obviously won't be said by anyone. If it's a text game with no voices I might put a little more effort into it.

#18 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2479 posts) -

For stock rpg's I tend to cycle between joke names like Poon & Ch-Ching, unless I'm playing a female character in which case I usually name her Sugar.

#19 Edited by Timing (618 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:

" @bartok said:

Yep. As recently as HeartGold one could take my level 30 Mr. T and use it to fight my rival, Assface.   "

Sorry. Had to be posted.

Anyway, I used to go with just Tim, then Timing, now usually Ti, as in short for Timing. No sense at all, I know. Oh and if there's a default name (like Link or Mario or Isaac) I usually just keep that.
#20 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -

I'd normally use the default name if the game supplies one, if not I use my nick name. I don't really get overly creative with the naming, as it doesn't really matter much anyway.

#21 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Neku, NekuSakuraba and if they are taken I just wheep in a corner.

#22 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

I use Dicks when I get the chance... wait.

#23 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

i'll use something dumb if my name never really pops up as i progress through the game. if i'm playing something like Pokemon, where my name will constantly pop up, i'll use Ajay. 

#24 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1106 posts) -

For most games I use 'Silent' as a profile name, but for character names I use that name of characters from other games and anime that I like.

#25 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i usally use my name for a male character  

Female i use sol or jean  

sometimes i think of sometihng else

#26 Posted by M_33 (527 posts) -

Lots. Depends on what I'm playing.  

If we're talking a game where you play as a robat, then it's m-33. 
Typical fantasy RPG: Em-Thirty-Third. If there's not enough room, I settle with Em-Third. 
Random Save file name: M_33, M-33, m33td3th, m33td3thl or m33tball. 
For a Pokemon game: Wes (which in fact, isn't my real name.) 

#27 Posted by PK_Koopa (582 posts) -

Depends on what I'm playing, really.
For example, in Pokemon I usually make up a name for the characters. Naming them all with my name just feels to weird. For Persona I make up a name that sounds japanese.
Sometimes the names I come up with are from other video games, like with pokemon Leaf Green I named my character Chris, and in Heart Gold I named my character Leon.  Not a big fan of Resi, it just kinda happened.

#28 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -

My default female character name choice is Miranda.

#29 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

In Zelda games I always use Link. In most other RPGs I use my own name. 

#30 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" @bartok said:
You are everything that is right in pokemon sir. Continue to fight the good fight against douchebag. "
Yup Pokemon is the one game where I still indulge in my inner immature child self. I shall continue to fight and destroy Faggot. As for my other games I just name myself Bob.
#31 Posted by Devil240Z (3267 posts) -

I fucking hate naming shit. it takes me like a day to think of something. I usually name my character Devil or Romulox. But if I have to name a ship or a castle or a team or something im fucked! Thats the only thing I hate about the Suikoden series. YOU HAVE TO NAME TOO MUCH SHIT!

#32 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

`faDeD- was my CS name but everything else is Jasta.

#33 Posted by HypoXenophobia (1045 posts) -

I use Roman emperors as my naming guide. I beat Demon's Souls with Caligula, to which my Fallout 3 character is also named Caligula.  But when I was playing Metropolismania yesterday, I named my guy Domitian.
#34 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Unless there's a name already suggested, Dynamite.

#35 Posted by Cerberus86 (15 posts) -

I have used Cerberus or variants of that name such as Cerberus86 or 99, first online game I played was Diablo and have used the name ever since, have way to many online friends that know me as that name to change now 

#36 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10468 posts) -

I usually put MOOSE, and always in all caps. Also, when I played Twilight Princess, I put the horse's name in as Homer, only to find out a short while later that the horse was actually a girl horse.  

However, after watching a lot of Endurance Run videos, I think I might use Charlie for a game at some point. 

#37 Posted by NikoAlexander57 (359 posts) -

For PC games, I usually go by Nikolai, but my xbox name is dethmcbul1ets. Now, how I came across that name is a story for another thread.

#38 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
@XII_Sniper: My grandma's Siamese cat is named Winston. Winston's also a brand of cigarettes. 

But anyways, I usually go with my first name, middle name, or some variation of one of those. Occasionally I'll use something weird like "Charie Tuna" for example. :P
#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (35986 posts) -
@Timing: 

I can beat that:

#40 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

I use 'Verbatum' alot, also Rexel, and if not that Liberogrande sometimes.

#41 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

In Dragon Age I named the dog Shithead. 

Usually I use my own name or the default name. 

#42 Posted by Ignor (2372 posts) -

I am usually Sid.

#43 Posted by Flaime (525 posts) -

Flaime, Evoca, Caza, Shanria, Mallyx (all WoW characters).

#44 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3482 posts) -

Bisu Cousland. I doubt anybody will get this ;)

#45 Posted by Milkman (16522 posts) -

Depends. For sports games though, my go-to name is "Robbie Shrimp".

#46 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

In RPGs, I tend to name my character Simon.

#47 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i either use my name or poop, penis, something a long those lines.

#48 Posted by probablytuna (3533 posts) -

For most games I just use the default hero name 'Jack'.
For RPGs I usually create a name. For male human characters in RPGs, it usually starts with 'A' like Alghas.

#49 Posted by Bigheart711 (1252 posts) -

I normally use "Menos" as my gamer name. This spawned my Twitter name "MasterMenos". If they're female, It depends on either "Petal Jane" or "Pearl Jess".

#50 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

For males, Penguin, Penfold, and Kozu Otomo (JRPGs)
For females, Strawberry, Sunflower, Cinnamon, and Yukiko (JRPGs)

I never use my real name.  What's the fun in that?