Need a list of 31 horror games(PC only) for a video series.

• 60 results
Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

EDIT: Due to time and other personal stuff, I've decided to cancel this video series. Instead I'll be playing Costume Quest for the month of October instead. Sorry for doing this at the last second, but I should accounted for my lack of time and the large amount of effort that this kind of project needs. Sorry once again.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By cyraxible

Just nab all of the games the Fear Gauntlet never got to.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Phatmac

@cyraxible said:

Just nab all of the games the Fear Gauntlet never got to.

Don't have the resources to record console games. PC only.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SavageManLove

Silent hill 2, 3, 4 but getting them on pc maybe be hard/pricey

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Phatmac

@SavageManLove said:

Silent hill 2, 3, 4 but getting them on pc maybe be hard/pricey

Not doing that.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By BBAlpert

This isn't my list, so I can't verify the quality of all of these titles (actually, I can verify that some of them ARE pretty crappy), but it takes a loose enough definition of "horror" to be an extremely encompassing list.

Edit: The image was way too tall to be readable, so I cut it into 3 chunks.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Phatmac

Halloween-themed games would be acceptable as well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

FEAR, System Shock 2, Dead Space 1 (on the hardest difficulty), DOOM 3, Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Now, I'm not guaranteeing that all of those are scary, but all of them are horror-themed.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sodacat

Alone in the Dark 1-3. I'd go with 1 and 3 since 1 has a super low poly aesthetic, and 3 has a unique wild west ghost town setting.

The hotel from Vampire: Bloodlines.

Clive Barker's Undying

Dark Castle

Frankenstein: Through the eyes of the monster

Scratches

Dark Seed

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

A game called Anna just came out on Steam. Looks interesting, at least.

Also, there's that zombie DLC/mod/thing for that train simulator game. You will believe a train can fly.

Spuirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spuirrel

The Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3.

That Bird based dating sim seems fairly horrific.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Phatmac

Oh right I forgot I have dead space 1 and 2

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FritzDude
  • Amnesia: Justine
  • Silent Hill
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Silent Hill 4
  • Alone in the Dark
  • Condemned
  • F.E.A.R
  • F.E.A.R 2
  • Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr.Ned - Downloadable Content
icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By icicle7x3

Nightmare House 2

Cry of Fear

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Phatmac

@BBAlpert said:

This isn't my list, so I can't verify the quality of all of these titles (actually, I can verify that some of them ARE pretty crappy), but it takes a loose enough definition of "horror" to be an extremely encompassing list.

Edit: The image was way too tall to be readable, so I cut it into 3 chunks.

Thanks.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

• Cry of Fear
  • The Penumbra games
  • No More Room in Hell
  • Plants vs. Zombies...?
  • Resident Evil 5 (4 might be on PC as well, not sure.)
  • Alan Wake
  • There are TONS of Amnesia and Half-Life 2 custom stories/mods and some are actually pretty awesome according to my brother
  • Killing Floor
  • Left 4 Dead games
  • The Walking Dead

Obviously some of these are more action game than horror, but I went ahead and added them since you said they don't really need to be scary/can just be Halloween themed.

Edit: Oops, forgot Condemned 1 was on PC. Also Doom 3.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Phatmac

@xobballox said:

• Cry of Fear
  • The Penumbra games
  • No More Room in Hell
  • Plants vs. Zombies...?
  • Resident Evil 5 (4 might be on PC as well, not sure.)
  • Alan Wake
  • There are TONS of Amnesia and Half-Life 2 custom stories/mods and some are actually pretty awesome according to my brother
  • Killing Floor
  • Left 4 Dead games
  • The Walking Dead

Obviously some of these are more action game than horror, but I went ahead and added them since you said they don't really need to be scary/can just be Halloween themed.

Edit: Oops, forgot Condemned 1 was on PC. Edit2: Doom 3.

Thank you for all of these game recommendations! I really love the PvZ recommendation. Hadn't even thought of it :P

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BBAlpert

My suggestions, from the ones listed on those images

• Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague. What Frictional made before Amnesia, and it really shows. Don't bother with the third game, Requiem, though.
  • Dark Seed would be good if you only intend on showing off a bit of the game, rather than going all the way through. It's got some crazy art, but the actual game part is a series of bullshit trial-and-error puzzles that you need to complete with a time limit.
  • I don't think Planescape: Torment really fits as a horror/Halloween game, but damn if it isn't a great game.
  • Sanitarium also isn't quite a horror game, psychological horror maybe. But it is a great adventure game.
  • I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is a fucking fantastic game based on an equally phenomenal short story of the same name. Definitely worth checking out.
  • Chzo Mythos is a great series of horror-adventure games, and I think they're all free (or at least they were originally)
  • The Dark Eye is not a great game by any means, but it's a perfect game to show off in a collection of horror-ish games. I should note that I'm not talking about that "Chains of Satinav" game, but instead an old stop motion adventure game based on the stories and poems of Edgar Alan Poe. The Cask of Amontillado level is amazing.
  • Saya no Uta (or Song of Saya/Saya's Song) is something that I'll recommend with some cautionary notes. There is anime sex in the game. It's not too often, but there are a few scenes (one of them like 5 minutes in from the start). But once you get past the anime boinking, you get into a story that's as compelling as it is fucked UP. Not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach.
SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Doom BFG edition comes out in mid October, just a heads up.

Also, even though there is a ton of scary horror game youtube playthroughs that have played it, you still need to play Ghoul's World for original Doom. Some of the scariest shit on there that gets your adrenaline going.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Phatmac

I'm not playing through all of these games. I'm going to be doing a daily video each day in October that'll last around 15-30 minutes.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Go play the Thief 3 cradle level and maybe either Medical Pavilion or Fort Frolic from Bioshock. You can find save games I'm sure for both so you don't have to actually play the entire game just for a 10 minute part.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Phatmac

@BBAlpert said:

My suggestions, from the ones listed on those images

• Penumbra: Overture and Penumbra: Black Plague. What Frictional made before Amnesia, and it really shows. Don't bother with the third game, Requiem, though.
  • Dark Seed would be good if you only intend on showing off a bit of the game, rather than going all the way through. It's got some crazy art, but the actual game part is a series of bullshit trial-and-error puzzles that you need to complete with a time limit.
  • I don't think Planescape: Torment really fits as a horror/Halloween game, but damn if it isn't a great game.
  • Sanitarium also isn't quite a horror game, psychological horror maybe. But it is a great adventure game.
  • I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is a fucking fantastic game based on an equally phenomenal short story of the same name. Definitely worth checking out.
  • Chzo Mythos is a great series of horror-adventure games, and I think they're all free (or at least they were originally)
  • The Dark Eye is not a great game by any means, but it's a perfect game to show off in a collection of horror-ish games. I should note that I'm not talking about that "Chains of Satinav" game, but instead an old stop motion adventure game based on the stories and poems of Edgar Alan Poe. The Cask of Amontillado level is amazing.
  • Saya no Uta (or Song of Saya/Saya's Song) is something that I'll recommend with some cautionary notes. There is anime sex in the game. It's not too often, but there are a few scenes (one of them like 5 minutes in from the start). But once you get past the anime boinking, you get into a story that's as compelling as it is fucked UP. Not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach.

Thank you. I'll be checking these games.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Pretty fucked up.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Phatmac

@MikkaQ said:

Is it scary from the start or will I have to play it for a while until it becomes scary?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Blood  
System Shock 
System Shock 2 
Penumbra: Overture 
Penumbra: Black Plague

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Maajin
envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By envane

why not throw in christmas themed games as well ....

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By nightriff

Only going to do 15 to 30 minutes on a game? Personally I would rather see some play these games for several days, even if you don't beat it. But to each there own.

I say play 13 games, spend 2 to 3 days on each, less on games that aren't that good and maybe more on the games that are interesting. That sounds interesting to me.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By nintendoeats

Silent Hill 2 and 3 came out on le PC. I would also point you to Cryostasis and Condemned: Criminal Origins. Then we have Vampiire: The Masquerade, though that's not really all that horrorish. Doom 3 qualifies if FEAR 2 does. Batman: Arkham Asylum is arguably a horror game in spots. The Path and The Void are really fecking creepy, but they never exactly jump out at you.

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Opus

Shadowman, if you want to look a few years back. It probably doesn't hold up as well today, but we can appreciate the "Horror themed Legend of Zelda" it had going on.

And that theme song; that theme song.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

You probably don't want to do a flash game, but do a flash game.

Daymare Town 2

Use a walkthrough if you have to, it can be a little obtuse with the puzzles.

It's not intense or anything, only a couple jump scares. But the atmosphere is tremendous.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

@Phatmac said:

@MikkaQ said:

Is it scary from the start or will I have to play it for a while until it becomes scary?

I'd say the initial premise of the game is chilling to begin with, it's an old adventure game so a lot of it is cheesy, but it's got a great sense of dread that lasts through the whole game.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By inkerman

Penumbra: Overture

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sodacat

@MikkaQ said:

@Phatmac said:

@MikkaQ said:

I'd say the initial premise of the game is chilling to begin with, it's an old adventure game so a lot of it is cheesy, but it's got a great sense of dread that lasts through the whole game.

It also has probably the best representation of rape in a video game, as bizarre a thing as that is to say.

Specifically one of the characters was raped in the past, and suffers from PTSD from it. In her part of the game AM uses that fear against her, and based on how well her section is played she can either overcome it or succumb to it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Phatmac

@sodacat said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Phatmac said:

@MikkaQ said:

It also has probably the best representation of rape in a video game, as bizarre a thing as that is to say.

Specifically one of the characters was raped in the past, and suffers from PTSD from it. In her part of the game AM uses that fear against her, and based on how well her section is played she can either overcome it or succumb to it.

I just went into a THNMAIMS hole and listened to the audio book and saw the game in action and fuck you I'm going to have nightmares. :(

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Phatmac

@Nightriff said:

Only going to do 15 to 30 minutes on a game? Personally I would rather see some play these games for several days, even if you don't beat it. But to each there own.

I say play 13 games, spend 2 to 3 days on each, less on games that aren't that good and maybe more on the games that are interesting. That sounds interesting to me.

That's not a bad idea.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By me3639

I agree with a lot of the posted suggestions, but i would over turn FEAR 2, to the original FEAR. Also, when(if) you do this video, which is a really cool idea, don't begin the games from the start because i don't think you will get the reaction you are looking to achieve.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dystonym
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#39  Edited By Kidavenger

Alien Swarm overhead perspective, coop, alien infestation shooter and it's free on steam.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent you got it

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Dead Rising 2 not exactly horror, but zombies!

Doom 3

Killing Floor

Left 4 Dead

The Void Some pretty messed up imagery in this game

The Walking Dead

Dreamkiller Shooter based on killing people's nightmares

Alan Wake

Anna new on steam, I haven't played it but it's worth a look.

Dead Island

System Shock 2

Dead Space

Lone Survivor

DayZ

Project Zomboid

Paranormal

Fibrillation

SCP-087 free game

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By ascagnel

If you want to have a day where you have fun with the concept, check out Trains vs. Zombies for Railworks 3.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By swoxx

@JJWeatherman said:

A game called Anna just came out on Steam. Looks interesting, at least.

Also, there's that zombie DLC/mod/thing for that train simulator game. You will believe a train can fly.

I thought it looked interesting also, the Metacritic score tells another story though. If a metacritic score can even tell a story. What I'm saying is it's got a pretty low score.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VierasTalo

Check out Land of the Dead: Road to Fiddler's Green. It's a god-awful licensed product that plays like someone's first map in FPS Maker, but since it's a commercial product, it becomes all the more hilarious because of that.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Phatmac

Which of the Penumbra games should I play?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Phatmac

@me3639 said:

I agree with a lot of the posted suggestions, but i would over turn FEAR 2, to the original FEAR. Also, when(if) you do this video, which is a really cool idea, don't begin the games from the start because i don't think you will get the reaction you are looking to achieve.

Yeah I'm thinking about recording some parts later on for slow starting games, but games like Dead Space 2 have great openers. Same for Dead Space.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FoolishChaos

@Phatmac said:

Which of the Penumbra games should I play?

Overture is the first, I'd say that one.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic

This thread gives me the chills

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Phatmac

@AhmadMetallic said:

This thread gives me the chills

That's the plan!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Phatmac

Thinking of removing some games and making more parts for some games longer so this can be daily. Unless I get a big list of games to play for 31 days, I'll be updating the main page to do some games on multiple days.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By abendlaender

How about the Penumbra Games?

It's from the Amnesia guys. Or maybe Cryostasis. Also Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines. It's not a "typicall" Horrorgame but since you have Binding of Isaac on the list...also it's on of the best 3D RPGs ever.

Edit: Oh sorry, Penumbra was already mentoined. I didn't see that

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BBAlpert

@sodacat said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Phatmac said:

@MikkaQ said:

This, holy shit this. By the way, if anyone is curious about seeing what's in the game, without necessarily having to play it, there's a pretty thorough LP of IHNMAIMS at Something Awful's LP Archive. The framework premise of the game is explained in update 1, by way of an amazing opening monologue, and the fucked up rape scene is somewhere around update 27.

http://lparchive.org/I-Have-No-Mouth-and-I-Must-Scream/