Need help on a turn-based JRPG

jreeds26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello. Was hoping to find a few ideas on a good turn-based JRPG that is currently out?

Any platform works, I'm just looking for basically anything good, and for what it's worth, I have loved most of the FF's. I would appreciate any help on this:)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

If you want something similar to Final Fantasy as far as combat, in a very basic way, I gotta recommend Persona 3 and 4 which have a big fanbase on here.

Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite JRPG. Bit different because it is a strategy RPG but it has the most fun combat in any one I've played hands down. Not sure if you've played that!

Otherwise definitely recommend Persona 3 and 4. Both are great.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

Practically everyone on this site is going to recommend Persona 4.

However, if you're looking for something along the lines of Final Fantasy, look into the Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga games on PS2. I, personally, like SMT Nocturne way more and if you're looking for something different, go that route, but DDS's story, gameplay, and design are more traditional. All three of these are on PSN. Well, I know Nocturne is for sure, and I'm pretty sure that Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are as well.

If you're looking for traditional JRPG's being released currently... uh. There aren't many. The upcoming Persona 5 is the closest thing we have to one. There are some on the 3DS - Bravely Default and Shin Megami Tensei IV come to mind - but a lot of those are first person dungeon crawlers (there's a sentence I'm glad to type in 2015).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

Do we even get traditional turn based RPG's anymore? If you missed any FF game, might as well play those too if you liked the rest right? Persona 4 is great.

But yeah I don't know, you might have to accept a different combat style at this point for Jrpgs, like Tales combat or strategy games. FF Tactics, Disgaea. Valkyria Chronicles is excellent. The options are kind of limited at this point. Unless you start looking way back.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

recent ones hmm, not many Bravely Default, Ni No Kuni, Xenoblade might be something you want to play. Then there's games like South Park: Stick of Truth and Child of Light that are styled in older turned based JRPG combat but are definitely western rpg's.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii/3DS is JRPG perfection imo.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phantasy Stars 1, 2 and 4 are also great. 3 is an abomination.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Lost Odyssey, Lost Odyssey, LOST ODYSSEY!!!

jreeds26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks all!

Games I might have mentioned I loved were: FF7, FF4, FF10, FF13 ( sort of..) probably in order..I loved Bravely Default..

And pretty much haven't tried anything listed here that was mentioned, but I will look into them!

-Forgot to mention Mario RPG/Paper Mario 64- both great games too :)