Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Need some irrelevant online peer pressure; pull the trigger and get this build? (32 votes)

Do it. 38%
Save your cash. 25%
It's a waste, but fuck it. Buy the damn thing. 38%

#1 Edited by paulwade1984 (478 posts) -

If I could ban you from this site I would.

You are going to spend more money on fans and side panels than some people can afford to spend on their entire PC. You make me sick with your money wasting ways. Go donate to charity or something if you have so much spare cash.

But if I had that much money I would get a 680. I wouldn't waste time on AMD GPU's this gen.

#2 Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) -

@paulwade1984: HD 7970 beat out GTX 680 in game fps benchmarks these days in stock performance, and AMD's 7000 series cards are easier to overclock. The GTX 680 had the lead when initially released, but AMD drivers matured to the point where 7970 pulls out on top. I'll miss out on PhysX, but get that damn good (but kinda unrealistic looking) TressFX. Power consumption and heat generation are a weakness of AMD cards, but my PSU and case should keep everything cool. Only potential problem I am worried about is build quality. This will be my first AMD card.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (5082 posts) -

Fuck it, do it, whatever

#4 Posted by Scroll (598 posts) -

@andorski: The AMD Drivers themselves have always been a problem for me, from experience driver support has usually been better for Nvidia.

#5 Posted by cloudnineboya (820 posts) -

The bitfenix prodigy is slick, i like it, i want it.

#6 Edited by Dauthi693 (130 posts) -

Looking up the case and having no idea of what the panels etc are my obvious first question is have you checked the components fit in the case? mainly the huge GPU which i think is longer than your mainboard.

#7 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1420 posts) -

Man that Bitfenix Prodigy is pretty damn pretty, wish is was in stock when i built my pc. Also if you have the money to spend then fuck it, set that dough ABLAZE!

#8 Edited by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

Is there a reason you want an $80 CPU cooler? Do you plan to overclock? I've never found overclocking necessary for my CPU, and hence have always been peachy keen with the stock cooler. And you're spending that kind of bank on fans, yet only putting in 8 gigs of memory?

#9 Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) -

Is there a reason you want an $80 CPU cooler? Do you plan to overclock? I've never found overclocking necessary for my CPU, and hence have always been peachy keen with the stock cooler. And you're spending that kind of bank on fans, yet only putting in 8 gigs of memory?

Yup, definitely going to overclock. On my old rig I get an average of a 2-5 fps bump when going from stock to 4.5Ghz on my i5-2500k. It's not much though. Overclocking to me is more about saying "I make this shit run more powerful because I can" than anything else. E-peen level of nerd bravado.

Case fans are really expensive, but I value a low noise rig that can push a lot of air. 8GB is still my cap on RAM. Never played a game that had me pushing anywhere close to that much resource usage. RAM prices have also started it's way up to a huge price spike, so if 16GB becomes a necessity for game's I'll wait for prices to cycle back down and purchase it then.

Looking up the case and having no idea of what the panels etc are my obvious first question is have you checked the components fit in the case? mainly the huge GPU which i think is longer than your mainboard.

Yup, everything fits. Been obsessing about doing this build for a couple of weeks now. Only thing I need to do is remove the middle section of the hard drive cage for the GPU to fit.

The bitfenix prodigy is slick, i like it, i want it.

I love the look of it. This case is what made me look into doing a small form factor PC. It's a bit ironic though as this case is HUGE for something that only takes mITX boards. Volume wise, it's actually bigger than my current midi-mATX tower (NZXT Vulcan). So I'm actually sacrificing any ability to do Crossfire or SLI set-ups, but I don't think I would ever go for that set-up. Also, this case allows me to put in a enourmouse CPU air cooler in there with no problems.

#10 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Overclocking is silly for gaming, especially in a small form factor build. But really - most of your cost is sunk into that CPU + GPU+motherboard. Complaining about the minor cost delta in an throwing money at things that will not improve gaming performance is rather beside the point if it makes you happy. Just make sure everything will fit.

Can you go for 16Gbytes of ram though. 2x 8gb sticks maybe at the PC1833 or 2133 speed grade. You've gone this far, why not max it out, maybe a 256Gbyte SSD too (but I do like that you went with the "pro" model with the more durable MLC structured flash over the Samsung TLC ones).

Edit: If this is going to sit on a desk I'd go with a corded mouse/keyboard setup too. And make sure you have a gamepad budgeted for at some point (if you do not already have one). But you do what you have to if this is in a living room....