Need some quick help with something...

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Poll Need some quick help with something... (64 votes)

A is better 59%
B is better 33%
They are comparable 8%

Hey guys,

I'm in my final year of university and I am currently finishing my dissertation, to help me write it I need a question answered:

Take a look at these 2 images and answer the poll based on your snap judgement, I will explain more about each image later in this post, it would be better if this information doesn't effect your choice.

I would however ask if you could ignore the different qualities of the images and focus on the quality of the terrain itself...

Now hopefully you have answered the poll before reading this, but here is some extra info so you know what it is you have just voted on:

For my dissertation I am looking at the differences and advantages/disadvantages between manual generation and procedural generation for video games. I am focusing on terrain and other art assets.

To demonstrate one aspect of this difference I am trying to show that you can procedurally generate terrain that looks just as good as something created by hand.

The first of the two images, image 'A' was created by myself in 3DSMax and Mudbox (I am clearly no artist), the second image, 'B' is being procedurally generated in an engine called OGRE from a random height map, I have no control over how it looks.

Some fun facts:

• 'A' is ~450MB, 'B' is ~19MB
  • 'A' took me ~4 hours to create, 'B' took 10 seconds

Thank you for participating!

Any further comments you would like to make regarding this would be very welcome, I may even quote you in my report!

- Dan.

• 
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I went with A. I liked the looks of it better.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If we're just supposed to judge the terrain and not the image quality, I'm going with A. Random peaks and dips in B doesn't look too hot compared to the relatively diverse terrain of A.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Bollard

Sorry if it breaks your poll but I also went A, it just looked more visually diverse.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: @mooseymcman:

Would you say that given the other differences between them like file size and time invested, that A is still preferable?

And about the random peaks and valleys, that is something that is definitely going into my "disadvantages" pile, most of the terrain the generator seems to spit out looks like that, a big part of my report so far has been:

"Here are the good parts of procedural generation, but here's why you will always need an artist to touch it up".

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SerHulse

@bollard: It's fine, I was already writing about how my hypothesis has been disproved.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@serhulse: If you can speed the process of terrain formation by 1,000x using method B, then it's probably best to use that method in every possible circumstance. However, it's also probably best to use a handcrafted approach for the most important and visually relevant segments of terrain, which might be where your mention of artists touching up the procedurally generated approach comes in.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I dunno why I judged the two based on 'realism,' but I did.

B looks like a believable terrain in a crazy rough mountain area, A looks made up and silly.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The poll only asks which is better. I chose to look at it from a perspective of which can humanity develop better. The rigid peaks and valleys in B would be a much higher cost to build housing or roads on while the smoother topsoil and flood plains in A would make for easy land development. I went with A.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@serhulse: I guess it depends on what it's being used for, but yes, I'd still say that A is preferable.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: That's certainly an interesting way to look at it, and also very valid, I chose the word 'better', and told you to make a snap judgement, as I wanted to keep it as subjective as possible since I already have most of the objective proof I need.

So far I feel this will make for a more interesting report than I first thought.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@singingmenstrual: I agree, there is some thing about A that looks a little unreal. I think how smooth it looks does not help, B looks craggy and therefore more natural.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A

I can actually see things with A.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#13  Edited By audioBusting

I voted A, though I have to say that I am not a good judge for this. I have a bit of experience with terrain generation and B looked familiar... It brought me back some unpleasant debugging memories.

Edit: And I gotta say that it's not perfect to compare a supposedly badly sculpted terrain with a somewhat well-designed terrain generation algorithm. At least I think it's relatively well designed, since it's definitely too smooth for a purely random height map and there's no egregious flaws in that image.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I picked B because it was bumpier.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting: The OGRE engine is doing things behind the scenes to the model, I've only used OGRE for about 6 months so I'm not fully up on it but it is definitely doing LOD.

Also the textures (which are awful) are covering up some of the nasty stuff, just looking at the wireframe you can see it isn't as smooth.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I voted B because I like jagged mountains.

amalager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

B looks better for me.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A looks like melting ice cream, and B looks like a shitty plastic terrain you would get packaged with a bundle of Star Wars figures, so i guess B is better in that it actually kinda looks like mountains.