Need suggestions for a good turn based rpg on pc

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kiras_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kiras_Guardian

I really like turn based rpgs but cant seem to find any good ones for the PC that are at least fairly recent. I was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest any? There seems to be tones on the consoles but allmost nothing on the pc, prove me wrong please! Not to bothered about wether its western or asian style rpg but would prefere to see a good story and a challenging combat system the most.

Thanks in advance duders!

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By salarn
RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RedRavN

I like the kings bounty series on PC. Its an RPG mixed with a turn based strategy game, like heroes of might and magic. You could also check out the last remnant if you want something thats a bit more of a jrpg.

Kiras_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kiras_Guardian

The last remmant looks interesting thats for sure, but it looks like it got a lot of negative reviews which has some what put me off trying it. Think its worth the plunge?

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wordfalling
redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By redcream

@RedRavN said:

I like the kings bounty series on PC. Its an RPG mixed with a turn based strategy game, like heroes of might and magic.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RedRavN

@Kiras_Guardian said:

The last remmant looks interesting thats for sure, but it looks like it got a lot of negative reviews which has some what put me off trying it. Think its worth the plunge?

Well to be honest its not really a game thats going to appeal to most people although it does have some interesting mechanics and aspects to it. Its almost impossible to explain but you are essentially creating squads of characters within your army that you can sort of give orders to and they will then follow those orders sometimes. There is definately a strategic element when you decide which group to attack, how you compose your squads and when to heal or buff certain squads. You can buy or craft gear for your main character Rush and all your other characters will auto equip gear from your inventory.

Its a truly unique game that unfortunately obfuscates a lot of its mechanics. It is also prone to necessary grinding and tedious busywork especially in the second half. It also becomes quite difficult later in the game to the point where I gave up. Which is a shame because I liked the story and environments in the game. But I would say the game is worth $10 even with all its wierdness.

Another game I like is called "grotesque tactics". Its a fairly enjoyable and funny game. Its a little light on actual deep strategy but plays like kings bounty. Its only $10 on steam and there is a sequel I havent played. Additionally, the men of war series, while not quite truly turn based, often plays like a turn based strategy game. I liked the original one best.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By salarn
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By fox01313

Dungeons of Dredmor on steam is the only one that pops to mind at the moment. Also on steam, the Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes is another worthwhile one on steam.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By BeachThunder
jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By jaqen_hghar

@BeachThunder said:

Fallout.

I heartily echo this. Hell, there are several good ones on GOG.com which are dirt cheap.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#13  Edited By Kidavenger

@Kiras_Guardian said:

There is a demo for this game on Steam, I tried it and didn't like it, was expecting a typical Square rpg and it definitely wasn't that, I think the demo starts you in the middle of the game though so it's fairly hard without knowing what you are doing.

King's Bounty was ok; there was a fairly severe difficulty wall about 10 hours in that I never got past.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red

Old Infinity Engine games are basically turn-based. Check some of those out.

Kiras_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kiras_Guardian

thank you for the suggestions! looking into them now :D

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mosdl

Dragon Age: Origins obviously!

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Feanor

Download a SNES emulator.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox

There are tons of turn based strategy RPGs on Steam alone. I know you want more recent things, but Fallout is still an excellent place to start, or Jagged Alliance: Back in Action if you want something more recent. Or there's stuff like the Disciples or Kings Bounty series. The Penny Arcade: The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness trilogy is more of a JRPG styled turn based game. Then there are the roguelikes, such as Dungeons of Dredmor and Hack Slash Loot. And I think Legend of Grimrock fits in here somewhere.

I believe all of these have turn based combat and leveling up characters in common, but the way you experience the overworld and story differs somewhat drastically. 

Then you have all the classics on GOG.com, such as Temple of Elemental Evil and more Jagged Alliance games and Infinity engine games.

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Cubical
No Caption Provided

I dont remeber anything about this game combat really I played it 12 years ago it looked like a console noobish turn based RPG though.

Oh and the chick is nameed after the software they used to make her prerendered 3d model for some reason like guybrush threepwood or maybe they stole it when they decided to rewrite power animator back in 1999 to 2000 what ever.

http://usa.autodesk.com/maya/

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Kiras_Guardian: Dragon Age Origins can be played basically as a turn based game, and is amazing, and the Ultimate Edition on Steam is cheap and has a TON of content. So much worthwhile DLC for that game. Play on the hardest difficulty and keep a balanced party (and go to the mage tower as soon as the world opens up, if you don't just start as a healer yourself), and you'll have a fantastic time.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By morningstar

@Cubical said:

No Caption Provided

I dont remeber anything about this game combat really it looked like a console noobish turn based RPG though.

I aboslutely loved this back in the day, planning on replaying it soon, but Im worried it might not hold up.

Speaking of Kings Bounty, a new stand alone expansion is coming late summer/early fall called king's bounty warriors of the north. If you can wait that long that is :)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By DeF

@Kiras_Guardian said:

the last remnant is on sale right now on gamersgate (you'll get a steam key) for really cheap so you might as well try it out!

Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Cubical

I just put the Septerra core game disc in my wndows XP machine and loaded my game save file of my file server it plays fine and is 100% turn based. that is also why it failed PC and there is no septerra core 2 people do not want console RPGs or dumbdown first person shooters/RTS. they want complex real time combat like baldur's gate in 1999 turn based was stuff PCs did with wizardy/ultima and crap back in the 80's/early 90s

The artwork is pleasing it looks like a japanese version of fallout 1 and 2.

Good luck trying to get it run on windows 7 though unless you have windows 7 ultimate with hardware Windows xp virtualzation. GOG.com version is the only one I think that has a 64 bit patch added by GOG.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/septerra_core_legacy_of_the_creator

Oh and the music is by that Halo series guy mark whatever so it sounds like fucking halo all the time before there was halo.

this should have been a playstation 1 or 2 game since it does nothing that a PC game should I said the same thing when i played it back in 1999 why is this a PC game? was the first words out of my mouth it would have sold more.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Jaqen_HGhar said:

@BeachThunder said:

Fallout.

I heartily echo this. Hell, there are several good ones on GOG.com which are dirt cheap.

Seriously, just do it. Don't think about it, don't look at the screenshots or the giantbomb Fallout page. Just do it, you'll thank us later.

Kiras_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kiras_Guardian

Wow so much love for fallout!! I think i am gonna get this one and the last rev for 5 pounds from GOG. Where might be the best place to get fallout for one who is paying in GBP? I allready own kings bounty and dragon age origins but never finished them. I played kings bounty on hard but the difficulty spiked way to much about half way in and so i left it there. Dragon age i dont know why i didnt finish, i was playing on hard and got through to the tomb for morrigan (dont want to spoil anything but i am sure people have got that far knows about what that means).

Maybee i should revist the dragon age origins and kings bounty and give them another go also.

Thanks for the help guys, wasnt anticipating so many responses as i am new to this website!

Kira

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#26  Edited By gla55jAw

Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition and 2 are on sale on Amazon for $9.99 right now.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#27  Edited By BeachThunder

@Morningstar said:

@Cubical said:

No Caption Provided

I dont remeber anything about this game combat really it looked like a console noobish turn based RPG though.

I aboslutely loved this back in the day, planning on replaying it soon, but Im worried it might not hold up.

Speaking of Kings Bounty, a new stand alone expansion is coming late summer/early fall called king's bounty warriors of the north. If you can wait that long that is :)

I played it for the first time last year and really enjoyed it; I especially liked the really creative premise for the game world, such a breath of fresh air in comparison to the myriad generic fantasy games that are continually churned out. However, some areas get incredibly long-winded; so I recommend either listening to a podcast while going through some of the longer 'dungeons', or using the skip battle cheat.

Unfortunately, the game was just on sale yesterday over at GOG D: however, you can still get it for $6, which is still pretty good anyway.

awesomeguy4242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awesomeguy4242

epic battle fantasy 3!!!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

You can't go wrong with Xcom: Enemy Unknown.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

Xcom Enemy Unknown is great, also FF7, FF8, FF9, and I think FFX are on PC too. They may be old but they're still great games, and you can use graphic mods to make them look better.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Wow, this is old.

Just in case anyone still wants a good turn-based RPG on the PC, Might and Magic X came out not too long ago and it's a pretty good game.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there some reason why this thread has 137,000 views?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Anachronox!

normanneil01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are still looking for a turn based RPG, I cannot believe that nobody has posted the Eschalon series.

http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-i

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't think anyone has mentioned Silent Storm yet.

Not a good story, but a fun game.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#40  Edited By djames216

Is there some reason why this thread has 137,000 views?

Well, I just did a google search for turn-based RPGs for the PC and this was the second result shown. That may explain why this thread has so many views.

hanner74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I'm understanding what you're looking for, i would recommend:

X-Com Enenmy Unknown

Divinity Original Sin