#1 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -

Alright im really confused and need help fast... I had planned to buy a laptop (major need is gaming and architecture design softwares) from quite some time and had finally decided on

samsung-np550p5c s03in. Now the problem is that all stores around my place dont have it in stock and its not even available online, all of a sudden.

Many retailers are recommending samsung-np350v5c s06in instead.

There are a couple of differences, but they say its mainly the same. The differences are

NP550 P5C (S03IN) VS NP350 V5C (S06IN) full comparison here : http://compareindia.in.com/comparison/283472-samsung-np350v5cs06in-vs-297642-samsung-np550p5cs03in/30

- gt 650m vs radeon 7670m (both 2 gb) (full comparison here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/81578-35-geforce-650m-radeon-7670m)

- hdd 7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm

- resolution : 1600 x 900 vs 1366 x 768

- speakers JBL (with subwoofer) vs 3 watt stereo speakers

- Intel Core i7-3630QM vs Intel Core i7-3610QM

I really, really REALLY wanna get np550 p5c (my 1st choice) but am i looking too deep into it? Is there a MAJOR performance difference (gaming mainly) or is it pretty much similar? And, is there a major performance difference between gt650m and radeon 7670m??

I really need advice fast. Appreciate all the help :)

#2 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -

BUMP!!

#3 Edited by Snail (8605 posts) -

Nvidia's current generation of mobile GPUs is a lot better than AMD's. From what I gather they heat up a lot less, which is a great thing. That alone makes a ton of difference for gaming in my opinion.

But you might want to double-check this.

Basically your main choice is slightly to moderately better in every aspect you've listed, which makes it a considerably more appealing laptop.

#4 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

You do NOT want a resolution of 1366x768. You will notice that and regret it every day. That's your major difference and it has to do with basic usage, not performance.

#5 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -

@Snail: @Jace: Thanks a lot guys. I called up a friend of mine who confirmed that gt 650 is much more preferable over the radeon one. I think ill wait for that laptop to come back into stock or existence.

Guess i got my answer. Thanks guys!

#6 Posted by Snail (8605 posts) -

@armaan8014 said:

@Snail: @Jace: Thanks a lot guys. I called up a friend of mine who confirmed that gt 650 is much more preferable over the radeon one. I think ill wait for that laptop to come back into stock or existence.

Guess i got my answer. Thanks guys!

So you don't have to buy it tomorrow?

#7 Posted by LegitFruitSnack (24 posts) -

Personally I wouldn't get the updated version because of the lowered resolution and slower hard drive speed. Depending on how you plan on using the laptop those might be not much if an issue.

As for the graphics card difference they would both probably be perfectly fine for you. They are close enough to the point that if you truly cared about the difference you wouldn't be gaming on a laptop.

If you absolutely have to buy the laptop now it is probly going to do alright for you but if you can I would wait until you find an available model that you are 100% comfortable with. I only say that because its a fairly big purchasing decision and making a rash decision that you are not totally confident with is never a good idea.