• 158 results
#51 Posted by Undeadpool (4908 posts) -

This just got me to re-up on my DVD rentals. Cause Gamefly still stocks new games like they're just starting out and can't possibly meet demand.

#52 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

@Veektarius said:

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/09/wired-tired-new-netflix/

This link has some interesting theories, including that having a separate DVD mailing service will allow Netflix to pay lower rates for streaming films, and that the lousy name might be intended to kill off the DVD end of the business entirely - though branching into games suggests this is not the case.

Also see the below link as a somewhat less dire outlook on Netflix subscriptions than the ever-sensationalist (edit: Alex's) 'massive bleeding'. Here.

On July 13th the stock hit a high of $298.73. It's now trading at $151.71. Sensationalist or not, the subscriber declines have been enough to cut the price of NFLX in half. That's massive bleeding.

#53 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I'll probably drop my DVD option for the games. The only time I used gamefly was during a month long trial and that was long enough for me to decide that that service is shit. I'm glad someone else is taking them on.

#54 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Brad Maybe this will convince Vinny to send back Castlevania and switch over to this.
#55 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

i might have to upgrade my netflix account to include that, right now all i got is instant streaming, but game rentals would be great. tons of games i wanna play but dont want to actually invest in buying.

#56 Posted by Diablos1125 (179 posts) -

I just started Gamefly so I'm not loyal enough to stay. If theres a gaming-only subscription for less, count me in.

#57 Posted by TheHBK (5463 posts) -

Gamefly vs Quikster, depends on two things, price and how fast you can get games.

#58 Posted by OriginalGman (292 posts) -

I really thought that image said "so start pooping the popcorn" so I'm just gonna go with that as my review of Qwikster.

#59 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (543 posts) -

Gamefly was terrible and far too expensive to justify having around. Wouldn't be too hard to compete with them.

#60 Edited by notha (239 posts) -

the slogan for Qwikster should be "Qwikster: Built To Fail"

pretty smart move on netflix's part imo. much higher profit margins in digital service, so when the dvd end tanks, they won't be affected

#61 Posted by Veektarius (4595 posts) -

@CosmicQueso: That's massive bleeding of stock prices, which reflect investor outlooks for the company. Subscriber numbers inform but clearly do not directly correlate with these numbers.

#62 Posted by zoltan2357 (22 posts) -

@Tizzzzzz said:

I haven't tried renting DVDs from Blockbuster as I also have a Netflix account but... I have a feeling Qwikster is going to be better about DVDs, just as a guess. Hope that helps any of you out who were curious about Blockbuster.

Thanks. I was thinking about dumping "Qwikster" for Blockbuster, but will hold off for now.

#63 Posted by Efesell (494 posts) -

I'm pretty happy to hear about this, I don't have a decent rental service nearby, and I'd get stuff from Netflix MUCH faster than I would from Gamefly since I actually live in a state that has a Center.

#64 Posted by Fizzy (384 posts) -

I'm kind of annoyed that Netflix raised their DVD prices. I guess it depends on HOW MUCH extra they're going to charge.

#65 Posted by wh1terav3n (656 posts) -

I don't know how I feel about being required to get the DVD service, THEN upgrade to games...that's pretty dumb.

#66 Posted by Lyfeforce (354 posts) -

I've never used GameFly because I didn't want to throw another monthly charge to my credit card. Assuming that current subscribers don't have to resubscribe to Qwikster, and it looks like they don't from what I've read around the web, I would happily pay an extra few dollars for the chance to include videogames in the service.

Also, the NesQuik Bunny will no doubt challenge Qwikster crack-y Elmo to switchblades at dawn.

#67 Posted by 014 (347 posts) -

The Blockbuster 2-out plan includes blu-ray and games for the same price as my 2-out Netflix service that does not include games. The fact that Netflix is going to charge extra for the games service means it will surely not be as good of a deal. I haven't made the switch to Blockbuster yet, but it's on my mind. The reason is I don't rent games often. But to simply add a game to my rental queue and try it out for no extra charge...? That would be great. I'd probably start renting games more often.

#68 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

If I still had DVDs as part of my netflix subscription, I would pay the extra cash to add games, but now that I only use streaming (and the DVD side is becoming it's whole own thing) I doubt I'll be signing up for this.

#69 Posted by sarahsdad (1079 posts) -

As some others have said, it would be great if the new service takes advantage of the existing netflix distribution centers; that alone would eliminate what feels like half the trouble I have with GameFly.

#70 Edited by Tesla (1907 posts) -

I canceled GameFly long ago. I could only take so much of the abysmal turnaround time that effectively wasted half of a month's subscription waiting for games. And I live in a city with a GameFly distribution center.

Of course the price has to be right, but if Netflix can send me games as fast as they do movies, then I will jump all over this.

#71 Posted by TromboneTony (156 posts) -

Dear Quikster: please make game-only rental an option. I don't want another DVD plan that I won't use.

#72 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

@TromboneTony said:

Dear Quikster: please make game-only rental an option. I don't want another DVD plan that I won't use.

Just don't add any DVDs to your Q and its essentially a game-only option.

If Qwikster has better stock availabilities and faster shipping than Gamefly, I will make the switch instantly. Still not enough info yet though, like how much the price will be and how many copies of games they are going to carry. If its going to be like Gamefly where you can't get new releases for six months, then I will be extremely disappointed.

#73 Posted by steelknight2000 (433 posts) -

Two things: price and service. It Netflix can beat Gamefly on either I'll switch right over. I'm tired of waiting weeks for a game that's 5th on my queue and popular titles constantly having low availability for months after release.

#74 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

If they have better shipping and supply than GameFly has I would definitely jump on board. I used GameFly for about six months but dropped the service because of the terrible waiting times before they even ship a game.

#75 Edited by morrelloman (606 posts) -

if it all goes in one queue and then i might just keep slow ass gamefly

I dont think the movies and games should compete with each other to ship.

Also, I think it will probably cost the same or more than gamefly. If they ship faster people will still come over.

#76 Posted by darkwolfg (14 posts) -

hopefully they will have a good starting game lineup

#77 Posted by firecracker22 (532 posts) -

Very, very strange to see the rebranding of Netflix. I mean...it's just weird. Adding videogames to the mix makes sense to me.

But, the Qwikster thing is...weird. These past few months, it's as if Netflix is trying to deliberately shoot itself in the foot time and time again.

#78 Posted by TurboMan (7400 posts) -

Redbox.

#79 Posted by admanb (225 posts) -

@firecracker22 said:

Very, very strange to see the rebranding of Netflix. I mean...it's just weird. Adding videogames to the mix makes sense to me.

But, the Qwikster thing is...weird. These past few months, it's as if Netflix is trying to deliberately shoot itself in the foot time and time again.

The most reasonable argument I've heard is that this is Netflix bending over for the entertainment industry to get producers to stay on/hop on streaming. Dumb shit like this is exactly how that industry works.

#80 Posted by Alphazero (1535 posts) -

Dear Gamefly,

I love you but I'm not IN love with you. Maybe if you open up a San Francisco distribution center we can stay together. I also have four games on my available list, one I'm super excited about, two I'm medium excited about, and one I'm less excited about. You know what to do.

Love,

Alphazero

#81 Posted by Gatz (11 posts) -

I knew I should have read that email this morning. I thought it was the typical CEO "heeey, I goofed here's a coupon" letter.

#82 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Yeah... I'm still canceling my account next week. So long Netflix, you had your chance and you blew it.

#83 Posted by Portis (1285 posts) -

I'll try it out.

#84 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

It its cheaper then Gamefly I might have to jump on this.

#85 Posted by Kingpk (148 posts) -

@014: I think the surcharge idea is a good idea. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, so I like that I have the choice not to opt in for that part of the service. It'll be the same for games; instead of jacking everyone's price up again, have the customers that are going to actually use game rentals pay for it.

#86 Posted by D_Man_Taylor (108 posts) -

If this Qwikster service has better selection of new release games than GameFly, I would absolutely join up!

P.S. It took me about six months to get Green Day: Rock Band through GameFly!

#87 Posted by mire (2 posts) -

Gamefly would need to lower their prices, make new releases widely available on day 1, and get their turnaround time on par with Netflix's.

#88 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

Why can't they bring their physical mailing service to Canada? :(

#89 Posted by TheKramer89 (422 posts) -

Are people really that upset about the price change? It was waaaay too cheap before. It's still cheap. Of course i would rather pay less, be it's still a steal, even now. I support netflix 100% with whatever they do.

#90 Posted by Humanity (8809 posts) -

Game rentals yes, finally Netflix is a complete amazing package. Lets just hope their game DVDs will be in better shape than some of their movies.

#91 Posted by Wicked_Wumpus (174 posts) -

@TheKramer89 said:

Are people really that upset about the price change? It was waaaay too cheap before. It's still cheap. Of course i would rather pay less, be it's still a steal, even now. I support netflix 100% with whatever they do.

Isn't this a little sheepish? Supporting them whatever they do?

#92 Posted by SilentZero (51 posts) -

I work for them and I just found out today. The name sucks, but I think the chances against Gamefly are more than good. From what I can say now... one game at a time, and it's not separate from the dvd queue.

#93 Posted by Zor (653 posts) -

@steelknight2000 said:

Two things: price and service. It Netflix can beat Gamefly on either I'll switch right over. I'm tired of waiting weeks for a game that's 5th on my queue and popular titles constantly having low availability for months after release.

I agree. It is the main reason why i only use gamefly for 3 months a year (on and off) in order to avoid the very long queue times for popular titles (for example, i'll prolly renew gamefly again in Jan, when all the winter titles are back in stock... or in enough, so that i only have to wait a week for them).

#94 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

I'm still trying to understand how so many people were/are still bitching about the price increases on Netflix/Qwikster. Seriously, incredible service at a steal!!!

#95 Posted by shiro11 (63 posts) -

Gamefly's wait times are beyond absurd so any competition that can do better is welcomed.

#96 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

I don't understand the name change... How will this help them?

#97 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

Yeah... I'm still canceling my account next week. So long Netflix, you had your chance and you blew it.

Yeah, because theres so many better alternatives. $8 or $16 a month to watch as many movies as possible is totally unreasonable.

@admanb said:

@firecracker22 said:

The most reasonable argument I've heard is that this is Netflix bending over for the entertainment industry to get producers to stay on/hop on streaming. Dumb shit like this is exactly how that industry works.

Its not bending over for the entertainment industry. Netflix realizes that dvds by mail is a dying service. They would rather set up a second brand just for mail delivery, that will eventually be shut down, rather than hurt the Netflix brand when that happens. With streaming and mail delivery in the same company, they were essentially competing with themselves. Now that its two companies, they can get better deals on both dvds and streaming content.

#98 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I'm still trying to understand how so many people were/are still bitching about the price increases on Netflix/Qwikster. Seriously, incredible service at a steal!!!

Well, people got spoiled is the only thing I can think of. If I didn't have Netflix it would cost me hundreds of dollars per month to watch the entertainment I watch in a month with Netflix streaming alone. However, I will probably cancel the DVD portions as I barely get around to watching DVDs anymore as busy as I have been.

#99 Edited by Phished0ne (2481 posts) -

I would assume games cost more to rental places than BD/DVD. So I think people assuming that a Netflix game delivery service will instantly be amazing are mistaken. It really depends how much they are willing to jump in headlong.

Sometimes it seems like each Gamefly center has a relatively low amount of copies of each new game on release day. That is a service that specializes in gaming, although they cover more consoles than this new service. I know Netflix has strong representation in the terms of delivery centers. But it makes me wonder if game wait times wont be worse than Gamefly when it comes to trying to get new games on the day they come out. Since Netflix has more distribution centers, the new releases have to spread out more across the different areas. i'm sure there is some overlap, and i dont know how netflix normally works with shipping you things from other centers. But, It makes sense that games cost more to these rental services, even looking at brick and mortar rental places, a lot have a very small game selection in proportion to movies. That being said, this 2nd service could always be flipped to just games once the DVD market starts to fade.

Although i may be making unreasonable assumptions about how much they are willing to put into games. That being said, assuming they get enough copies to every distribution center, netflix's delivery infrastructure has the ability to decimate Gamefly.

#100 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

I fucking hate netflix gamefly anyway and would rather got to a fucking video store down the street in 5 minutes get a realk disc and Netflix picture quailty on streaming movies makes them look and sound like compreessed ass compared to the real bluray disc.

IT is the same type of thing fucking ass lossy comprssed sound that crap mp3 and mp4 did to music ruining cd sound quailty forever (and CD sound was starting to sound like ass by the time DVD audio and super audio CD came out) only netflix is making movies look and sound like ass this time.

and those fucking redboxes have a collection of ass crap movies only fucking punk kids and teens and clueless soccer moms would want to watch and every single one has nothing but trash compared to a old ass Real Video rental store,

Thanks for nothing and ruining film picture and sound quality netflix and red box you fuckers may i piss on your grave when you can no longer sustain this cheep ass price scheme you are using to get people to use your crap service.