• 54 results
#1 Edited by MrMonotone (3 posts) -

Coming from the UK where Mario was never quite as big as in the US I never played it growing up. I did try New Super Mario Bros about a year ago but I found the controls somewhat floaty and a bit slow. I'm not sure if this is just this game or Mario in general. I have been toying with getting a 3ds but with a lot of the titles being Nintendo first party I thought I should make sure I am likely to enjoy them first. So is there a recommended starting point or are any of the games representative of the others?

#2 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -

sunshine

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -
#4 Posted by MannyMAR (522 posts) -

Super Mario World

#5 Posted by A_Norman (46 posts) -

World.

#6 Posted by Dalai (7070 posts) -

Play the original Super Mario Bros. first for the history. Or go with Super Mario Bros. 3 if you want to play the best Mario game.

#7 Posted by believer258 (12201 posts) -

@riboflavin said:

sunshine

Yes. Though, un-ironically.

I agree with this. In a sincere manner. Sunshine is fantastic.

Also play New Super Mario Bros. - not the sequels, the first one - and Galaxy. I, personally, haven't played much of Galaxy because all of the planets spinning around make me kind of motion sick, but so many people loved it and I have never heard anyone else complain of problems playing it.

64 is also a great game if you can get used to the occasionally bad camera and old graphics. And, if you've got a 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land is stellar until you start coming across that purple fuckwad.

#8 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -
#9 Posted by Coafi (1494 posts) -

Mario is Missing!, of course. Nah, I'm kidding, but I really recommend going back to the beginning and go from there. Start with Super Mario Bros.

#10 Edited by Slag (4885 posts) -

New Super Mario Bros. for the Ds

If you are new to platformers, NSMB will give you a modern enough taste of 2d side-scrolling goodness.

Then if you decide if you miss 3d too much, Sunshine is good one to go to. galaxy I think might be a little much for someone who hasn't played mario before.

If you decide you like 2D. Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World are the best of that style.

#11 Posted by big_jon (5788 posts) -
#12 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

If you're looking to play a 2D platformer, then I think almost any of the games in the series is a good choice. But I haven't played all of them so I wouldn't know for sure.

The original Super Mario Bros. still holds up pretty well, except for the graphics obviously. Same goes for Super Mario Bros. 3.

Super Mario World is a masterpiece, personally I would recommend starting there.

As for 3D mario, Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are amazing, you should definitely get around to playing both of them at some point.

#13 Posted by GunstarRed (5476 posts) -

Don't listen to the silly people that say World, they obviously mean Super Mario Bros 3. Or if you want a 3d game either Galaxy of Mario 3D land are both fantastic.

(Super Mario World is also fantastic.)

#14 Edited by Raven10 (1924 posts) -

I think almost every Mario platformer is worth playing. I would say the one that has aged the worst is probably Super Mario 64. I haven't played the 3DS or Wii U ones, but all of the earlier ones are at least enjoyable on some level. That said, I would say that Mario controls mostly the same in all of the 2D platformers. New Super Mario Brothers introduces some great mechanics that make it a lot easier to control like wall jumping and butt stomping. The earlier games are much harder and less forgiving. But, again, all are worthwhile. If you have a Wii you could maybe find the Super Mario Brothers Collection thing which includes the first three games and The Lost Levels.

#15 Edited by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -
#16 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Anyone who says anything other than Super Mario World should be killed on sight by a team of sexy nun assassins.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -

Anyone who says anything other than Super Mario World should be killed on sight by a team of sexy nun assassins.

Why would you recommend it to someone that has never played a Mario game before? What do you feel makes it worth playing beyond gaining an appreciating of the franchise's lineage? No, seriously, I'm curious.

#18 Edited by Hunter5024 (5967 posts) -
#19 Posted by CommanderGermanShepard (303 posts) -

All the way back at the beginning.

#20 Posted by cloudymusic (1233 posts) -

World

In that order.

#21 Posted by bemusedchunk (734 posts) -

World or 3.

If you have any "mates", then I would also suggest any of the party ones. Doesn't matter which ones.

Just mix with alcohol for instant fun!

#22 Posted by csl316 (9477 posts) -

World is my favorite game, although starting with the NES ones may help you appreciate some of the stuff it does so well.

#24 Edited by ShaggE (6711 posts) -

Land.

Seriously, though, Land never gets the love it deserves. That game was awesome.

#25 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

Why would you recommend it to someone that has never played a Mario game before? What do you feel makes it worth playing beyond gaining an appreciating of the franchise's lineage? No, seriously, I'm curious.

Cus its the best one?

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

All of them, chronologically. Not necessarily to completion but I think it's important to trace the evolution of the Mario franchise.

#27 Edited by BisonHero (7056 posts) -

@mrmonotone: Is there something in particular you're trying to get out of going back and playing the older Marios?

I mean, Super Mario Bros. on the NES was incredibly influential on many subsequent sidescrolling platformers. Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES and Super Mario World on the SNES are also pretty big deals.

Similarly, Super Mario 64 largely set the standard for 3rd-person platformers, and it's actually kind of crazy how open-ended a lot of the levels are, and how little direction you're given. Super Mario Galaxy is visually very impressive and is technically impressive with how you can walk around a sphere without the camera getting confused, but it is a lot more directed and linear than Super Mario 64 is.

Ideally, if you have a Wii or can borrow one from someone, you can get access to a fair number of NES, SNES, and N64 Marios for not much more than $20. Or you can play ROMs on an emulator if you take the less legal route.

#28 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

Get a copy of the Mario 25th anniversary disc for the Wii (good luck!)

#29 Posted by Ares42 (2797 posts) -

Although this is sorta off-topic it sorta fits the topic. I played like SMB3 and world as a kid and loved them, but very recently tried out NSMB and Galaxy on the Wii and did not like them at all. Am I completely misremembering or have they turned modern Mario games into a some sort of sluggish hell ? I remember SMB as being all about good presice platforming, but trying to play these new games it's just all about trying to gather and counter-act momentum.

#30 Posted by handlas (2755 posts) -

Mario Golf for the Gameboy Color.

#31 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (961 posts) -

Start with the arcade version of Donkey Kong and go forward from there.

#32 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

It couldn't hurt to play 1-3 in order. Don't use warp pipes, if you're going to play them you should at least see all of the levels once.

#33 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (142 posts) -

World Or 3

#34 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

64, of course.

#35 Edited by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

You could try Galaxy/Galaxy 2 but then every other game would feel like a step down.

#36 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12123 posts) -

World or Galaxy. Can't go wrong with either. 64 is obviously one of the greatest and most important games of all time, but there are a few anachronisms here and there that betray its age, not that it hasn't aged extremely well. Really, you can't go wrong with any core Mario game. Except maybe Sunshine.

#37 Edited by TheHT (11795 posts) -

1, then 2, then 3, then world, then 64, then galaxy 1, then galaxy 2, then stop.

#38 Posted by mpgeist (643 posts) -
#39 Posted by Rotnac (820 posts) -

Play these:

1. Super Mario Bros.
  2. Super Mario Bros. 3
  3. Super Mario World
  4. Super Mario 64
  5. Super Mario Galaxy
#40 Edited by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I'd start with SMB3 if I were you. Since you're trying to appreciate the origins a little, or at least that's what I'm gathering, I'd say you should go for one of the NES titles, and 3 is easily the best of them.

The original SMB is obviously a classic, but I don't think it would serve your needs here as well as something that has a little more polish and more varied gameplay but also retains the simplicity and precision of the earliest titles.

World would be my second suggestion, followed by Galaxy.

I think you should play the one that you have the highest chance of enjoying. The original is maybe a little too stripped down by today's standards, and 64, while easily one of my favorite games ever, has a lot of camera issues and shit that were common to the 3D games of the era. If you want to play one of the 3D games, go with Galaxy for sure.

#41 Edited by McLargepants (395 posts) -

@rotnac said:

Play these:

1. Super Mario Bros.
  2. Super Mario Bros. 3
  3. Super Mario World
  4. Super Mario 64
  5. Super Mario Galaxy

I second this. Go chronologically, and you'll get to experience the "evolution" of the mario platformer. Also stick to these highlights, and if you're really into them, go back and fill in the gaps later. Or just replay SMB 3 a bunch, because it's basically the best game ever made.

#42 Edited by BeachThunder (12427 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@clonedzero said:

Cus its the best one?

Very articulate answer; I appreciate your insight.

#43 Posted by villainy (598 posts) -

Super Mario Bros. 3 with a copy of The Wizard playing on repeat. When you are released from the asylum move on to World then into the 3D stuff.

#44 Edited by DarthOrange (3906 posts) -
#45 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2445 posts) -

I would not recommend starting with anything pre-World. In fact I would say 3D Land is a good starting point because it incorporates 2D and 3D Mario conventions and is also quite easy in the beginning.

Depends on how good you are at platformers, I suppose.

#46 Edited by Darji (5293 posts) -

Super Mario Brother 3 and MArio world and then end this there. If you want more play Super Mario Land for the gameboy but that's really it.

#47 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

no no no no no you're all quite wrong. Start with Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for the SNES. Available for a cool 800 wii points on the virtual console, it's a wonderful title that anybody can enjoy.

It's like the only mario game you can't beat in under 2 hours....I think....

#48 Edited by MrMonotone (3 posts) -

Ok, right. This post got slightly more answers than I was expecting. As near a consensus as I can make out is that the best, by modern standards anyway, are probably smb3/world (delete as appropriate). I'll probably play both so I guess starting with 3 is probably a good idea. With regards to my earlier comment on New SMB, having slept on it, I suspect that the reason I didn't much care for it was that most of my platforming has been from different schools of thought, either the N/Super Meat Boy style or some of the metroidvanias. It was more not what I was expecting than actually bad. In any case whilst it would be nice to go through every game since Marios inception, I don't really have the time unfortunately. Thanks for the help.

#49 Posted by fetchfox (1362 posts) -
#50 Edited by blueinferno (458 posts) -

I don't think it really matters with Mario, it's one of those franchises that you can easily jump into whenever you want. I don't think I would start with Sunshine, though, as it's not really your traditional Mario platformer. Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World are the two best side scrolling Mario games, and obviously Super Mario 64. Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are must plays as well.