• 58 results
#1 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

Dang title character limits and there non-grammatical sentence making. What.

Anyway.

Game development is weird. This we know. One of the more interesting things about development, though, is how certain ideas get put out there but for one reason or another are never followed up on. The best example of this that comes to mind is the early PR for one of the Splinter Cell games (I think what eventually became Conviction) talked about how Sam Fisher would be a homeless dude in Washington. D.C. and you had to navigate the city and do your own espionage stuff all in this one area. That sounded fucking great, but unfortunately they eventually dropped that idea.

My question is, was there ever a game, or a version of a game, that you heard about and were really interested in, but that eventually got dropped? Try to avoid saying anything that simply hasn't been released/canceled yet (i.e. Prey 2). The almost-were's are often just as or more interesting than what we eventually get our hands on, so I'm curious if anyone has a cool example.

#2 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -
#3 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -
#4 Posted by Cheesebob (1235 posts) -

That pirates of the carribean game looked awesome

#5 Posted by squiDc00kiE (351 posts) -

Last Guardian. Ooh wait a sec...

#6 Posted by Zicdab (388 posts) -

The scrapped version of Resident Evil 2

Obsidian's canceled Aliens RPG

Fear and Respect

Dead Rush

#7 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

this.

#8 Posted by FUMN (84 posts) -

STARCRAFT GHOST

#9 Posted by isomeri (1246 posts) -

The original Half-Life 2.

#10 Posted by CatsAkimbo (615 posts) -

@fumn said:

STARCRAFT GHOST

You didn't miss all that much. The version I played at E3 back in the day was really bland.

#11 Posted by Levius (1097 posts) -

Division 9 sounded incredible, and Irrational almost made it for real. I wish someone would make that game, I guess ZombiU comes closest but I don't think it has the base building stuff.

#12 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Third Chrono Trigger game.

#13 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

Shenmue III.

"Anybody for a game of Lucky Hit?"

#14 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3789 posts) -

For me it's by far Lionhead's BC. Such a great game concept. We haven't seen anything close in setting or mechanics.

@amatureidiot said:

Division 9 sounded incredible, and Irrational almost made it for real. I wish someone would make that game, I guess ZombiU comes closest but I don't think it has the base building stuff.

Different genre, but you should check out Dead State. Looking forward to it's release quite a lot. As far as what you'll be doing, it should be quite similar, although tactical strategy RPG instead.

#15 Edited by Animasta (14667 posts) -

Shenmue III.

I feel like that mega64 video is better than any actual shenmue 3 there would be.

#16 Edited by GalacticPunt (1039 posts) -

I loved the shit out of Shenmue II, so I yearn the most for Shenmue III.

I saw this morning that Aliens RPG was basically finished when Sega canceled it. Now this is "finished" by Obsidian standards, so I'm sure it was full of bugs. Still wish people could actually play it, and patch it up.

#18 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Yup, until they make a good pirates game I will always mourn that fallen angel.

#19 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Persona 4 Arena, tehehehehehehehe.

*cries in the corner*

#20 Edited by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Someone at some point, maybe Black Isle, was gonna make a new isometric Fallout game and there are a bunch of pics and stuff floating around from it, but nothing actually got made. It would be pretty cool to have the chance to play that, and see how gameplay changed over the ten or so years since the original Fallouts were made.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

I loved the shit out of Shenmue II, so I yearn the most for Shenmue III.

I saw this morning that Aliens RPG was basically finished when Sega canceled it. Now this is "finished" by Obsidian standards, so I'm sure it was full of bugs. Still wish people could actually play it, and patch it up.

Sawyer posted on another forum that almost finished is way too generous or something to that effect

#22 Posted by Flacracker (1642 posts) -
#23 Posted by Pr1mus (3857 posts) -

Resident Evil 1.5 but it seems that it's about to change soon.

#24 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

Boktai 3. It was released in Japan but never in the west.

Boktai 2 is one of my favourite handheld games ever, but I don't want to play Boktai 3 in Japanese or with an emulator since that basically defeats the whole point of the game which is to play outside with the sunlight sensor.

#25 Edited by believer258 (11775 posts) -

It was rumored that Nintendo was working on a 2D Metroid project called "Metroid Dread", but they later said that they were not working on any such thing.

Is its continued existence and development still possible? Well, it was rumored to have started development in 2005 and very few hints of it have even escaped over the years, so... I doubt it. There was a reference to it in Prime 3 and that's about it.

Anyway, Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission are some of my favorite games ever released, with Super being what I consider the best game of all time, so naturally I do want to see another 2D Metroid game released. Not a 3D one, just a 2D one, no 3D at all.

#26 Edited by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -
#27 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Sam And Max: Freelance Police.

I will never forgive them.

#28 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

Starcraft Ghost was a game I was genuinely looking forward to and deeply saddened about its indefinite hold. Also it's the reason why I have absolutely no faith in Blizzard releasing any console game and talks of them thinking about bringing Diablo III to console is just them blowing shit out of their asses they call mouths.

#29 Edited by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

Star Wars Battlefront III and Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned. Sadness...

EDIT: Also, the original proposed version of GTAIV, which had a San Andreas-style "full state" approach, instead of just Liberty City.

#30 Edited by cloudnineboya (791 posts) -
#31 Edited by ryvythed (27 posts) -

Bumpy Trot 2

R.I.P.

#32 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

Someone at some point, maybe Black Isle, was gonna make a new isometric Fallout game and there are a bunch of pics and stuff floating around from it, but nothing actually got made. It would be pretty cool to have the chance to play that, and see how gameplay changed over the ten or so years since the original Fallouts were made.

That was Van Buren, which I mentioned in the third post in this thread.

#33 Edited by Jams (2960 posts) -

I was really looking forward to that mmo being made for the original Xbox. It was a Japanese anime art style 3d game and I remember them talking about how your character would get more muscles if you did stuff like making weapons. Your hair would grow and it would need to be cut or something.

I think it made it to beta in Japan but was never released.

#34 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -
#35 Posted by w1n5t0n (174 posts) -

If I remember Game Informer, there was and Indiana Jones game and a 3d Realms game about like alien spores that looked cool.

#36 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1544 posts) -

Half-Life 2 Beta

#37 Posted by 71Ranchero (2728 posts) -

Shenmue III.

Same. I would love to be able to play the original Saturn version too.

#38 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

StarCraft Ghost and the Disk Drive version of Ocarina of Time.

#39 Posted by Marino (4647 posts) -
Staff
#40 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I wonder what the other version of Resident Evil 4 was like.

#41 Posted by cloudnineboya (791 posts) -

@jams: i see were you coming from, and if watch dogs let me ride a huge spider robot then i in even more than i already is .

#42 Edited by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

@scrawnto: Yup! That's the one! I'd love to play some of that if it were ever made available. It probably wouldn't sell too well though in the current game market...but imagine seeing a game like that now! It would be awesome. I guess Wasteland is something to look forward to?

#43 Posted by guttridgeb (23 posts) -

Star Wars: Battlefront III, I'm still hoping we'll get it one day.

#44 Posted by Levius (1097 posts) -

@amatureidiot said:

Different genre, but you should check out Dead State. Looking forward to it's release quite a lot. As far as what you'll be doing, it should be quite similar, although tactical strategy RPG instead.

Thanks for the tip, Dead State sound like what I was looking for.

#45 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:
@amatureidiot said:

Thanks for the tip, Dead State sound like what I was looking for.

Sorta similar to Division 9, but I remember reading a few years back about some zombie game where you were in this city, and you drove around scrounging for stuff and rescuing people. Zombies would attack your base, except they were allergic to light (they might've actually been vampires, I forget) so you had to protect the generators running the floodlights and stuff. It was in a game magazine, so it was definitely something that was well into development though. And it had an emphasis on driving, which they didn't mention in that Division 9 article so I think it might be a different game.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Was that something that was ever released?

#46 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Seeing some of the answers, should I start a thread that's like this, but for unreleased builds of released games (RE 1.5, Van Buren, etc.)?

#47 Edited by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

@mistasparkle: I certainly am looking forward to Wasteland 2. I contributed a fair amount to the kickstarter though.

#48 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

@scrawnto: Oh, cool. Are you liking how it looks so far? I remember they recently came out with a gameplay video showing off some stuff and it looks really neat. The only thing I have a problem with is having to maintain a group. I'm not too great at keeping track of multiple people :P

Then again, I've never played the original Wasteland so maybe the group thing is a big part of the appeal. Anyway, I'm still keeping my eye on it.

#49 Edited by rentfn (1279 posts) -

The Full Throttle sequal

#50 Edited by Demoskinos (14732 posts) -