Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided
If you heard earlier, Microsoft decided to make a web-shaped disc holder for their boxes just to save money and the environment. As business worthy as it may sound, it doesn't make a good deal for us gamers.

I was playing a Assassin's Creed 2, trying to put some hours into it before I go to sleep. Eventually, the game froze, had checker marks, unleashed a loud screech, and went mute. I thought my 360 was ready to RROD, only to be wronged by MW2's performance when it ran in my console. So I took a gander at the disc and saw three scratches: two small ones and one medium sized, all existing at the disc's edges.

They were skid to the right. It seems that when the disc turns by the box's movement, the edges of the web come into fruition with the disc, causing injury.

I'd love to show you guys an example, but my computer's camera is horrid in its quality. The only thing I can tell you now is this: if you buy a new game containing this disc pattern, take it out and put it in an old box, or lay it on a surface with its face laying upon it. If you confront this problem, I suggest risking the toothpaste tactic (if it works). I'd do so, but this is my friend's game that he let me borrow, making my situation rather tragic. I take care of my friend's games with great care, showing great reason for him to trust me. But this will create misjudgment on my part, and it pisses me the fuck off to no end.

Just be cautious...
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

what the hell? that's pretty stupid.. 

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Lies
@Tru3_Blu3 said:

I'd love to show you guys an example, but my computer's camera is horrid in its quality. The only thing I can tell you now is this: if you buy a new game containing this disc pattern, take it out and put it in an old box, or lay it on a surface with its face laying upon it. If you come into circumference with this problem, I suggest risking the toothpaste tactic. I'd do so, but this is my friend's game that he let me borrow, making my situation rather tragic. I take care of my friend's games with great care, showing great reason for him to trust me. But this will create misjudgment on my part, and it pisses me the fuck off to no end.  Just be cautious... "
One of us clearly does not grasp the meaning of this word and I sure hope it isn't me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lies said:
" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

I'd love to show you guys an example, but my computer's camera is horrid in its quality. The only thing I can tell you now is this: if you buy a new game containing this disc pattern, take it out and put it in an old box, or lay it on a surface with its face laying upon it. If you come into circumference with this problem, I suggest risking the toothpaste tactic. I'd do so, but this is my friend's game that he let me borrow, making my situation rather tragic. I take care of my friend's games with great care, showing great reason for him to trust me. But this will create misjudgment on my part, and it pisses me the fuck off to no end.  Just be cautious... "
One of us clearly does not grasp the meaning of this word and I sure hope it isn't me. "
My mind told me to type "circumference" for some reason. It's now a much betterer word.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I hate the new boxes (They're very flimsy), but my copies of L4D2, MW2, and AC2 are all fine with no scratches.  You sure someone didn't accidentally drop it or lay it down without you knowing?

Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Madyew

Every game I buy I transfer into new cases, so this doesn't really affect me, but it's a real bummer for people that use those cases to transport their games in backpacks and such.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

Every new game I buy, I swap it's case with one of my cousins games while he's in the can. Problem solved.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By meteora

I didn't know that there are new 360 boxes. But I'm not sure exactly how your disc managed to get damaged, unless you transport your stuff around a lot.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

when my friend got modern warfare 2 i noticed that also. we were both like wtf is this. it sucks that it can scratch the disk. i don't think the tooth paste trick works. i tried it on a game and all it did was make my disc sticky. i forgot about the game as it was sticky.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

But it's just plastic, and how would the disc even touch the bottom if it's elevated by the part that's holding it? Not only that but the edges are smooth and semi-rounded.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By meteora

They probably should have put a second circle in the middle of the disc holder/circumference. =/

Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Civraz
@Lies said:
" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

One of us clearly does not grasp the meaning of this word and I sure hope it isn't me. "
If you look up "Malapropism" in the dictionary...
Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slippy

You would think that a relatively complex shape like that would cost more money to cut out at the factory..
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kmdrkul

I've had problems with game boxes in the past as well, but not the same problems you were experiencing.  When I got Call of Duty: World at War, I opened the box and attempted to take the disc out but to no avail.  The circumference of the little circle in the middle of the box seemed to be bigger than the hole of the disc itself.  Being a genuine idiot, I attempted to wrestle the disc out of the box by sheer force, and ended up cracking the clear plastic around the hole of the game disc itself.  Luckily, the game still worked...

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese
@Lies: I think you missed one.

@Tru3_Blu3 said:

"They were skid to the right. It seems that when the disc turns by the box's movement, the edges of the web come into fruition with the disc, causing injury. "

Fruition, n.
  • the condition of bearing fruit
  • enjoyment derived from use or possession
  • realization: something that is made real or concrete; "labor finally coming to fruition. "

My friend, I think the word you're looking for is "contact."
Coldfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Coldfront

I think what we can all draw from this is that MICROSOFT STOP MAKING CASES you're bad at it

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Karmum

Hate these new "designs." Ironic that you mention this, AC II froze for the first time this morning for me. Didn't freeze after that, though.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Willy105

My Mario Kart Wii disc got scratched, it is now unplayable, but it was because someone accidentally stepped on it on one of my parties.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bigandtasty

These boxes seem annoying but no apparent scratching issues yet (knock on wood).

I like them better than the 2005-2006 boxes which were ridiculously hard to get the disc out of.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hockeymask27
@Bigandtasty said:
" These boxes seem annoying but no apparent scratching issues yet (knock on wood).  I like them better than the 2005-2006 boxes which were ridiculously hard to get the disc out of. "
I find these new boxes even worse than those, I get nervous that I'm going to snap my MW2 every time I take it out of its case. Wish they bring back the sort of Pepsi symbol push button(yes i know that made no sense).
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Jayzilla

how about just putting them in a sleeve like the ones that netflix sends? those work great.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By ZmillA
@Hockeymask27 said:
" @Bigandtasty said:
" These boxes seem annoying but no apparent scratching issues yet (knock on wood).  I like them better than the 2005-2006 boxes which were ridiculously hard to get the disc out of. "
I find these new boxes even worse than those, I get nervous that I'm going to snap my MW2 every time I take it out of its case. Wish they bring back the sort of Pepsi symbol push button(yes i know that made no sense). "
I know what you mean. And lol at "if you come into circumference" :D
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By natetodamax

Yep, same with Modern Warfare 2. It's a horrible design, and it's obvious they never tested the cases for this sort of thing.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By MKHavoc

I remember hearing Jeff say something about how a game he had got scratched by the new boxes on a Bombcast.  MW2 is the only game I have with that design, but I've had no problems with it so far.  I'd think twice before packing it in a suitcase though.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Pie

Is this an American thing? My cases in England are normal

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Drebin_893

You can't write, can you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Drebin_893

said:

" You can't write, can you? "

No Caption Provided
In comparison to this, yes I most certainly can.
Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Wipeout
Remember those black playstation 1 discs?  Those things were awesome.  I took a crappy game I had and keyed the bottom of it to shit, slammed it in a sliding closet door a dozen times, and used it as a tony hawk peripheral around my room.  Game still worked.  I guess the finer pits of a dual layer DVD disc make them more data dense but also more fragile.  And then I was the demons, and I become a zombie.
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Drebin_893
@Tru3_Blu3:  

You know what? You're not wrong.