New ads on Giant Bomb

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

Don't know how many of you noticed, but there are new ads on Giant Bomb; forced ads before videos. I'm going to be honest here and say that, while probably necessary for GB to survive, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this. I would rather have some more banners on the site than video ads. I also wouldn't mind paying an annual registration fee for an ad-free visit of Giant Bomb.

EDIT: A thread is already up: 
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/anyone-else-find-the-new-video-adds-to-be-extremly-anoying/262602/

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Damien

They're only 17 seconds.  They're so insignificant and like you said necessary, so we just have to deal with them, not that I mind them at all.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PureRok

People have mentioned this a few weeks ago. I've only seen two. As soon as they showed up I turned my Adblock back on. Now I don't see them anymore.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

Some people are fuckin crazy for being willing to pay money to keep from seeing website ads.  If its that big of a deal to you then you got some messed up priorities.
William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By William

Ads don't bother me at all. just ignore them.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Akeldama

i have yet to see a single ad...

joelalfaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By joelalfaro

At least you present your point calmly and intelligently, but deep within your heart, you know that these guys give a lot and ask for nothing.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By killdave

ive seen one video ad so far
it was halo odst; an xbox game ad for an xbox game, apb

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9  Edited By MachoFantastico

Put it this way: 

- Would you rather have no ads and potentially see Giantbomb close due to lack of financial support in months to come? 

or 

- Would you much rather have ads that guarantee this wonderful site keeps going? 

I know which I'd want, adverts are part of the gaming web scene and if there done tastefully they can be quite nice. These Halo: ODST adverts aren't bad at all and I'm happy to watch them for more Giantbomb content. SImple as.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By natetodamax

Old news

Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hughes

The pre-video ads don't bother me. I've gotten used to them.

Now if they paused to have ads during videos I'd get kinda annoyed.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PercyChuggs
@AuthenticM said:
I also wouldn't mind paying an annual registration fee for an ad-free visit of Giant Bomb.
You've got to be kidding me. You don't like seeing a couple ad banners, so you would rather PAY MONEY INSTEAD OF JUST IGNORING THEM?

I just don't get why so many people have such a problem with minimal amounts of advertising.
ironscimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ironscimitar

The Halo ads are pretty annoying, but hey, just ignore'em.  I just mute the video until the content starts.

Mgsfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mgsfreak

I don't mind as long as its game adverts and like jeff said advertisments that intrest the users, 17 second halo trailer dude comon not the end of the world. I might be susceptible to advertising though cause im thinking of buying odst  even though I hate halo.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgentofChaos

The nice Halo 3 skin with contest kindof encourages my interaction with the ads.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By rjayb89

OH MY GOD, 17 SECONDS OF MY LIFE WASTED.  I HATE YOU GB FOR SUCCUMBING TO THESE CORPORATE LIES OF KEEPING US HAPPY.  YOU BASTARDS.

</poop>

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By jkz

I'd have to say, I actually agree on paying. I don't mind the ads over-much, but I really respect the guys and what they do; I'd rather pay, say, 5 dollars a month, and maybe get some kind of bonus (give-aways for only subscribers) and get no ads. That way I could support a website I really enjoy, while still getting a little something on the side that costs them little-to-nothing.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By lemon360

Not like this.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By buzz_killington

They're fine.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By grilledcheez

I don't mind them at all. :)

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By delta_ass
@rjayb89 said:
" OH MY GOD, 17 SECONDS OF MY LIFE WASTED.  I HATE YOU GB FOR SUCCUMBING TO THESE CORPORATE LIES OF KEEPING US HAPPY.  YOU BASTARDS.  </poop> "
17 seconds, times 4 or 5 times a day, for as many days as you visit Giantbomb... that adds up, dude.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By dethfish

Watching a 17 second ad before something like a 20 minute quick look doesn't bother me at all.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By damnboyadvance

It's not too bad. I mean, it's better than Gamespot where you watch a 30 second ad for a video that's only a minute long, and Hulu where you watch an ad for every, like, 7 minutes you watch a show.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By rjayb89

@Delta_Ass: So you can't wait just one minute before you watch all the videos GB has to offer?  At least it isn't television where you watch 10 minutes of Grey's Anatomy or Lost then 5 minutes of ads that have nothing to do with what your watching and in that time pretty much suspending the hanging moment you're left with.  The ads here are fine and are helping GB out in the long run.  Sure this is the internet and all, but for over a year GB has been an ad-free site and now that it isn't their content still offers the funnies and quality we came here for.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Damien
@Delta_Ass said:
" @rjayb89 said:
" OH MY GOD, 17 SECONDS OF MY LIFE WASTED.  I HATE YOU GB FOR SUCCUMBING TO THESE CORPORATE LIES OF KEEPING US HAPPY.  YOU BASTARDS.  </poop> "
17 seconds, times 4 or 5 times a day, for as many days as you visit Giantbomb... that adds up, dude. "
Oh no, 68 or 85 seconds a day!  Seriously, that's only a minute or two of your daily life.  It's not that big of a deal.  It's not like you're forced to sit through the 17 seconds.  You can use that time to do other things, if you so please, but if your life is so productive that you need every single minute, maybe you shouldn't be on GB in the first place.  Ads have become a part of modern 21st century life, just some people have yet to realize and accept that fact.  If you don't like ads that much you can close your eyes and cover your ears or become Amish or something.
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By bwooduhs

The moment that i start bitching at a 17 second video before good free video content is the day i will shoot myself.

milpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By milpool

They're not a big deal, I don't see anyone over reacting here.  In fact it's nice to see the community fairly understanding.  I would also be willing to pay a premium to not see the ads.  #1 To support a website that I believe in.  and #2 Because I don't need any more ads in my life.  I think that is one of the main reasons I like GB so much over other video game websites.  It just feels clean.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By JJOR64

I don't see why people have to make a new thread every time Giant Bomb gets a new ad.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Milkman
@Delta_Ass said:
" @rjayb89 said:
17 seconds, times 4 or 5 times a day, for as many days as you visit Giantbomb... that adds up, dude. "
Let's face it. You don't have anything better to do.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Gunner

A WEBSITE HAS ADS! I MUST MAKE A FORUM TOPIC TO WARN THE PUBLIC!

These threads are getting annoying.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By RHCPfan24

I have seen a lot of videos lately but haven't run into a single video ad yet. I have AdBlock Plus, could that be the reason?