New computer.

MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By MrAwsum

Today I'm getting my new Dell XPS - 420.  
Here are the specs.  ( It's the Quad-Core.. 2TB Hard Drive Space )
I just want to know what I should upgrade within the hardware of it.  
I have the money, and whatever tools I'll need to make it happen. 
It'll be used more for design then anything else, but a few games will be played on it.  And it's not looking for gaming specs, but a few ideas would be nice. 
Let me know what you all think.

Diagnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Diagnostic

Don't buy from Dell. Build one and get the best bang for the buck.

MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrAwsum
@Diagnostic:  
Since it's not gunna be the MAIN computer I use, I don't wanna spend too much on stuff which I wont need.  
Believe me, this is the best option.
Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Llama

I guess if you have money to burn why not get an Alienware

Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aeterna
@MrAwsum said:
" @Diagnostic:  Since it's not gunna be the MAIN computer I use, I don't wanna spend too much on stuff which I wont need.  Believe me, this is the best option. "
He means that if you order seperate parts it'll be much much cheaper.
MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrAwsum
@Llama: I'm not going for gaming, so Alienware would be one of the producers who I'm not going for.  
@Aeterna: Oh, I misunderstood. But I'll be upgrading it myself anyway, just not for a while, so I'd want a decent PC to start with. 
Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Llama

If you want to upgrade Dell is most certainly NOT what you want to get. They always use the most minimalistic motherboards available that are a giant pain in the ass to upgrade. Building one yourself is the way to go. That doesn't mean you have to assemble it yourself. Most online shops provide a build service where all you do it select the components and they sent you a pre-built PC. Which is probably 30-50% cheaper then a Dell.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By JoelTGM

just seems weird to buy a pre-built computer, which automatically costs more, with the intention of swapping those parts out later.

Diagnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Diagnostic
@MrAwsum: Also, Dell has a terrible customer service.
Unworthyboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Unworthyboot

They are right.  Dell uses a lot of proprietary parts, meaning if you want to make certain upgrades, you have to go through dell to do it.

MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrAwsum

Well, It's already been ordered now, so I'm definitely getting it.  
I do understand what your all saying, I just guess that it seemed to make sense at the time.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cspiffo

If you know how to build go that root.  If you don't, Dell isn't so bad.  You'll get exactly what you want if you build from scratch though.

Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Arzen

So you made a post asking people for advice on purchasing and upgrading a computer, didn't really give people a chance to respond, dismissed or misunderstood the reasoning of the people who did, and ordered a piece of trash anyway.  Why did you even bother asking?

MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrAwsum
@Arzen: I was asking what I could upgrade it with, If you'd read what I put, you'd understand. 
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By JoelTGM

well that computer will probably serve your needs well anyway, no need to upgrade.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Gizmo

I bought a pre-overclocked PC from Overclockers, seriously good deal, the individual prices alone cost nearly the same.

Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arzen
@MrAwsum: I understood what you wrote just fine.  You, on the other hand, had problems understanding what others told you.   There's a good chance of cheap motherboards, proprietary pieces, and inflated cost for something you yourself say you plan on upgrading eventually.  You also gave them 30 minutes to respond before you bought the computer.  My comprehension of the situation was just fine.  Also, quotes for you (since you obviously seemed to miss them the first time):

@Diagnostic said:

" Don't buy from Dell. Build one and get the best bang for the buck. "

@Llama said:

" If you want to upgrade Dell is most certainly NOT what you want to get. They always use the most minimalistic motherboards available that are a giant pain in the ass to upgrade. Building one yourself is the way to go. That doesn't mean you have to assemble it yourself. Most online shops provide a build service where all you do it select the components and they sent you a pre-built PC. Which is probably 30-50% cheaper then a Dell. "

@DOUBLESHOCK said:

" just seems weird to buy a pre-built computer, which automatically costs more, with the intention of swapping those parts out later. "

@Unworthyboot said:

" They are right.  Dell uses a lot of proprietary parts, meaning if you want to make certain upgrades, you have to go through dell to do it. "

Honestly, I just hate seeing people make poor, uneducated decisions.  I hate it even more when people *ask* for information/advice only to turn around and ignore it.
MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrAwsum
@Arzen: I did understood what they said, and I see why it would make sense. 
And I didn't give them 30 minutes to answer the question before I ordered the computer. 
The computer has been on order for a few weeks now, This thread was to ask help with what it can be upgraded to. NOT what computer I should buy. 
I think it's you just being ignorant now. 
MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrAwsum
@Arzen: @MrAwsum said:
" Today I'm getting my new Dell XPS - 420.  
Here are the specs.  ( It's the Quad-Core.. 2TB Hard Drive Space )I just want to know what I should upgrade within the hardware of it.  I have the money, and whatever tools I'll need to make it happen. It'll be used more for design then anything else, but a few games will be played on it.  And it's not looking for gaming specs, but a few ideas would be nice. Let me know what you all think. "
Read it. Make sense of it. Stop bitching. 
Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arzen
@MrAwsum said:

" Today I'm getting my new Dell XPS - 420.  
Here are the specs.  ( It's the Quad-Core.. 2TB Hard Drive Space )I just want to know what I should upgrade within the hardware of it.  I have the money, and whatever tools I'll need to make it happen. It'll be used more for design then anything else, but a few games will be played on it.  And it's not looking for gaming specs, but a few ideas would be nice. Let me know what you all think. "

@MrAwsum said:

" Well, It's already been ordered now, so I'm definitely getting it.  I do understand what your all saying, I just guess that it seemed to make sense at the time. "

There was less than 30 min between those posts from you.  You *never* mentioned having ordered it weeks ago.  It appeared that you had ordered it when you made the second post I quoted.  My misunderstanding was from YOUR lack of information.  YOU did not properly explain the situation.   I hardly think that makes me ignorant.

Knowing what we know now, it would be hard to give you a proper answer to your question.  In order to give a good response, we'd need to know what kind of motherboard the machine has.  We don't know how many memory slots you will have available (though it appears to have at least 4, based on the other configurations of the 430 on Dells website).  You could upgrade to any size SATA hard drive you'd want to (though I doubt that's the kind of upgrade you're talking about).  The base configs for those 430s have either Q8300 or Q8400 Intel Core 2 Quads.  Those are LGA 775 processors, so you *should* be able to go up to, say, a Q9650 or any other LGA 775 CPU (such as the low power variants).  Again, it's hard to be sure without knowing what the motherboard is capable of.

EDIT: I should also add that with the Core 2 Quad and DDR3 in those 430s, I'd expect you'd be able to throw any new video card in there you want and have no problems, the only limiting factor being the power supply (again, may not be what you're looking to upgrade with the machine being mainly for design).
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Diagnostic said:
" @MrAwsum: Also, Dell has a terrible customer service. "
This.  So fucking this.  When my brother's computer broke, my mother was on the phone 4 hours with the cocks before they would even send out a technician to check what was obviously a power supply problem.  Then she had to get on the phone another hour with them before they sent the parts and the technician to fix it.
MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrAwsum
@Arzen: I was thinking about going for the i7-940 just to be simple, But I'm not sure if that'll blow the rest of the computer too much 
Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arzen
@MrAwsum: Now see, that's where the problem comes in.  Don't know whether you're kidding or not, but you won't be able to upgrade to an i7 with the motherboard you're getting.  The i7 uses an LGA1366 socket where the Core 2 Quad uses an LGA775 socket.  In order to upgrade you would need a new motherboard as well.
MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrAwsum
@Arzen: Is i5 the same, or does that use a less able motherboard to run?
Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Arzen
@MrAwsum: The i5 uses an LGA1156 socket, which would also require a motherboard upgrade.  One of the biggest differences between the i7, i5, and the motherboards they use is the power consumption.  The i5s (and i7-860 and i7-870) use the LGA1156 socket and are 95W CPUs.  The i7-920 and higher use LGA1366 and are 130W CPUs.

Motherboards for the i5 are generally cheaper than motherboards for the i7.
MrAwsum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrAwsum
@Arzen:
Know of any motherboards which
would make me able to upgrade to an i5? 
Arzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arzen
@MrAwsum: If you mean a motherboard that you could use the Core 2 Quad with until you decide to get an i5, then no.  There is no such thing.  You would *have* to upgrade the motherboard and the CPU at the same time because they use different socket types.  The only upside is that all of your other components should work fine when you do decide to make that jump. 

EDIT: If you're just talking about i5 motherboards, anything based on the Intel P55 chipset will do.  But again, you will *need* to get the i5 CPU at the same time.
Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Llama

This is why you start these kind of topics BEFORE you order stuff not AFTER