#1 Posted by Junkerman (279 posts) -

Hey Gang!

With some actual good games coming out now this fall I feel its time to step into the next console generation and pick up some new hardware and I need help deciding. So! If there are some knowledgeable folks out there who wouldn't mind reading through my post here and sharing their thoughts and opinions I would appreciate that!

Please keep in mind this is not an XBOX vs PS thread, I enjoy both consoles and have owned them all in the passed, I'm just trying to educate myself on which would be the best fit for my home entertainment system for the next few years moving forward.

Things about me that factor into my decision:

• Wireless Internet is a must; I dont want to pay extra cash for a router if I dont have to
  • It will be used mostly for netflix by my family
  • In the previous console generation the exclusives I enjoyed most were for the 360 - although towards the end of the cycle ps3 seemed to be winning out with great games like Last of Us.
  • I dont like most Japanese games, so please keep that in mind when comparing and contrasting exclusives; although the new Demon Souls-esque game coming out looks totally awesome and I want it!
  • My favorite games are Western RPGs and old CRPGs. ie. Baldur's Gate, PS:T, Dragon Age 1, The Witcher, Mass Effect.
  • I dont play shooters but I would love to play Halo. I'm not interested in Gears of War any longer.
  • I like Indie Games or games that try something new. Loved Journey, Brothers, Super Time Force
  • Not big into online gaming but wouldn't mind the option the odd time I fancy a game. Mostly looking forward to Destiny
  • I like free things!
  • My brother has an Xbox One and it would be nice to play Destiny with him instead of strangers; but we work really different schedules in different time zones so that probably wouldn't happen anyway.
  • I prefer the xbox 360 controller to the ps3, but prefer my ps3 hardware to the xbox

Games I'm most looking forward too!

1. The Witcher 3
  2. Mass Effect 4 (Please be good!)
  3. Dragon Age Inquisition
  4. Destiny
  5. Maybe Assassin's Creed?
  6. Bloodborne
  7. Possibly Halo

Thank you for your time!

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (15179 posts) -

PS4. Its got indie games galore its got great exclusives in the pipeline coming in 2015,2016 its also the more powerful console and at least IMO has a way better controller than Xbox One. PS+ is also a hell of a service and is a real bargain and years ahead of what Xbox's "Games for Gold" service is doing right now.

#3 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5410 posts) -

The controllers are different from their last gen counterparts. I'd say PS4 since most of what you're looking for is multi-platform and PS4 might be doing better with those for a little while.

#4 Posted by eccentrix (1614 posts) -

Normally PS4 is the obvious choice, but in your case, I'd lean towards Xbox One. You can play Halo and Destiny with your brother and, if you get a Kinect, the voice stuff adds a lot to the Netflix experience. It's really easy for anyone to use; my mom loves it.

On the other hand, the Xbox One controller feels terrible to me and PS+ has lots more and better free stuff.

#5 Posted by csl316 (9514 posts) -

I love my PS4, but I'll pick up an Xbox soon because their exclusive line up has seemed more appealing (so far). PS4's been a great indie machine, and when PS+ gives you something unexpected you may try something you never would've considered.

Honestly, I feel like both are good buys at this point. But since I have a PS4 and like it quite a bit, that's my recommendation just based on personal experience. The 360 was my primary multiplatform machine last gen, but I've fully made the switch to the PSN ecosystem (and the Vita's been a bigger factor in that than I ever would have thought).

#6 Posted by Amafi (924 posts) -

If you want to play Bloodborne that's a PS4 right there.

Right now I'd say neither is worth it, there aren't a lot of games out. In another 6 months hopefully there will be some.

#7 Edited by Corevi (5086 posts) -

Multiplatform games are generally better on PS4 due to it just being more powerful and if you do want to play Bloodborne that is exclusive to the PS4. Xbox One is a better media device though as you can use it as a cable box and you can play video files on it.

#8 Posted by awesomeusername (4221 posts) -

I'd say PS4 just from reading your "wants". It'll have your RPG's, lord knows it has your indies (they're all I play on it!), multiplatform games run (a tad bit?) better on it, the exclusives coming look rad, Ps+ is great, Dualshock 4 is the greatest controller I've ever picked up, and Bloodborne. You have a while before Halo 5 and that seems to be the only reason you'd want a X1 so I'd say to wait on it. The PS4 gets indies almost weekly and a lot of them are so good. Towerfall, Rogue Legacy, The Swapper, Hohokum, Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate, Outlast, Transistor(!!!) and the list goes on.

#9 Posted by Junkerman (279 posts) -

Shiiiit I forgot about Towerfall! Alright PS4 is looking pretty good. How does the controller compare to the PS3 Controller?

Also, big thanks for all the info, duders, I appreciate it!

#10 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5410 posts) -

@junkerman: It's one of the better controllers out there.

#11 Posted by peritus (1073 posts) -

If you like free stuff, PS4 is doing better on that front. Also Blood Borne.

#12 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3791 posts) -

I have both XONE and PS4, and PS3, and I used to have a 360. I really do like XONE more, and I'm really looking forward to Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Gears of War XONE, Sunset Overdrive, Crackdown, Halo 5, Scalebound, Forza: Horizon 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and random indie game exclusive things like below. Lords of the Fallen should be a good multi-platform alternative to Bloodborne. I'm almost likely getting Lords of the Fallen this year, and really it'll be my first venture to that Dark Souls type of game play, as I've never bought one, and I think its nifty that its next-gen only, so it should look pretty bad-ass and stuff.

#13 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

You just put Bloodborne in your games list, and you said you liked indie games. I'm guessing you don't have a gaming PC.

Therefore PS4.

Although you putting down that your bro has the Xbox One but pretty much saying whatever afterwards kinda bummed me out man...jeez. I have a PC and I'm buying a PS4 early before Bloodborne just to play that dumb space wizard game with my brother.

#14 Posted by eccentrix (1614 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I have both XONE and PS4 [...] I really do like XONE more

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that.

#15 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3906 posts) -
#16 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2620 posts) -

Based off your list I think you'd probably be happy with either. I'd say PS4 will probably be the better choice for you as Sony is really going hard on those indies. (Though their first party stuff is pretty lacking until next year) Plus, you listed a bunch of multiplats and they'll probably run a little bit better on PS4.

#17 Posted by xPolyMorphic (57 posts) -

@junkerman said:

Shiiiit I forgot about Towerfall! Alright PS4 is looking pretty good. How does the controller compare to the PS3 Controller?

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/is377o/gt-countdown-top-ten-controllers

It's pretty darn good.

As a Sony fan I have to say the Xbox One Controller might be the greatest controller ever made. The Dual Shock 4 is ok but it's also incredibly defective and I haven't seen one where the rubber hasn't started or peeled completely away from the joystick.

To each their own I suppose.

#18 Posted by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

How many goddamn posts do we need about this kind of shit? There's two consoles, both have strengths and weaknesses. And I mean saying wifi is a must.... yeah about a second of research would reveal even wristwatches can come with wifi now so I reckon a new console might.

There's been about five posts like this in the past three days.

#19 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3906 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac said:

@junkerman said:

It's pretty darn good.

As a Sony fan I have to say the Xbox One Controller might be the greatest controller ever made. The Dual Shock 4 is ok but it's also incredibly defective and I haven't seen one where the rubber hasn't started or peeled completely away from the joystick.

I have two Dual Shock 4 controllers--one of which was a launch unit controller--and neither have had any issues.

Anyone bought a console or controller recently who has had those issues, or do they seem to be ironed out?

#20 Posted by xPolyMorphic (57 posts) -

@xpolymorphic said:
@spaceinsomniac said:

@junkerman said:

It's pretty darn good.

I have two Dual Shock 4 controllers--one of which was a launch unit controller--and neither have had any issues.

Anyone bought a console or controller recently who has had those issues, or do they seem to be ironed out?

One season through MLB: The Show with Analog Swinging was more than enough to end three controllers, mine and two friends. If yours don't peal that's awesome but I personally haven't seen one that hasn't at least started yet.

#21 Edited by Humanity (10137 posts) -

If right now is any indication then the XB1 seems to be getting constant updates and improvements while much like the previous generation the Playstation is largely as it was. You get the benefit of PS Now but only really if you have a PS3 because there isn't much of a selection on PS4 yet unless you want to use the PS Now service which seems to be an affront to common sense. I'm actually surprised more people aren't talking about how terrible the offering for PS Now really is - an overpriced system that asks the gamer to not even buy, but rent games they probably already own for exorbitant prices. Does Sony really want us to believe there was no way you could put in your PS3 discs into the PS4, they both read Blu Rays, and authenticate that you already own these games so you can play them through PS Now? But maybe this shouldn't be surprising.

I'll probably end up with both systems and I was actually planning on getting a white PS4 next month largely because the XB1 isn't available in my region until Christmas this year. Say what you will about Microsoft but at least their entire marketing strategy so far hasn't been based around belittling their competition in some cutesy way. It was funny the first time Sony did it but man it just looks unprofessional and kind of petty at this point.

#22 Posted by ninnanuam (284 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I have both XONE and PS4 [...] I really do like XONE more

I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that.

I prefer my Xbone to my PS4 as well, and I think I've said it on these forums.....

Honest to god, hand on my heart I prefer the Bone! there are a few reasons, I like the integration and the way the UI works, but primarily it comes down to the controller and the weird barebones feel of the PS4, which is all subjective. To some the PS4 UI is probably "minimalism" to me its barren, I also like shooters a bunch and the DS4, while being better than the DS3, still has too many flaws as a FPS controller, the primary one being the tiny floppy triggers. The Bone has a better controller for FPS. (although even it could use some more tension in the triggers).

But honestly wait if you can be patient I'd wait. Wasn't one of the announcements a CoD Xbone bundle with a terabyte HDD? I want a terabyte HDD.... I'm guessing there might be a few more announcements like that before Christmas.

#23 Posted by RonGalaxy (3271 posts) -

Besides the current lack of games, the ps4 is a fine console. And it's only going to get better. The XB1 is probably a great console as well, but seeing as you put bloodborne above any XB1 exclusive I would say go with a ps4 because it's not going to come to any other console besides ps4 (well, maybe 20 years from now if playstation is owned by a different company then maybe it could get released somewhere else. That's a big if though).

#24 Posted by Shortbreadtom (866 posts) -

Play Bloodborne, and just accept that Destiny is as close to Halo as you'll get (which is pretty fucking close)

#25 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11415 posts) -

If you want Bloodborne, you want a PS4, because Sony is publishing that game.

That said, my money is on the PS4 regardless. It is the more powerful console (if only slightly), I think the controller and interface are much better, and I have more faith in Sony's first party titles in the long run. Also, PlayStation Plus is a better deal than Xbox Live Gold with the better selection of free games (though keep in mind that you need PS+ now to play game online, I dunno if others have mentioned that or if you know it or not).

#26 Posted by SomeJerk (3400 posts) -

The PS4 just entered a new hardware revision (second or third) and this time to get a better wi-fi chipset in, so there's that. Any new units coming should be that model. Something many do not realize about wifi is that it is a frequency range, and if you live where there's a lot of wifi usage the speeds are going to be boned hard.

Looking at your list though, the only Xbox One advantage is Halo: The Master Chief Collection which better be in heavy crunch-time now with how that Halo 2 MP performed at GamesCom :(

#27 Edited by overnow (292 posts) -

If Bloodbourne is the only exclusive on your list of games that you are interested in, then I would say get a PS4. (didn't count Halo because you said "possibly")

#28 Edited by oldenglishC (1008 posts) -

This answer is easy. Buy a Wii U now, then decide on PS4/XOne next year when they have games to play.

#29 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

I'm not in the market personally but if I were you, in your position right now, I'd be leaning strongly towards the XBox purely for the sake of being able to play Destiny with my brother - if that's something you think you'd do a lot of that is.

Honestly, I dunno.

#30 Posted by Jazz_Bcaz (271 posts) -

Sounds like you're in the market for a PS4. I'm curious how Halo fans will take to Destiny, and whether people will stick with 343 over Bungie.

#31 Edited by ProfessorEss (7523 posts) -

@jazz_bcaz said:

I'm curious how Halo fans will take to Destiny, and whether people will stick with 343 over Bungie.

I'm also very curious to see how that plays out. A lot of marketing mega-powers up in this business too.

#32 Posted by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

Ouya I would say

#33 Edited by micemoney (159 posts) -

Surprised no Xbone owners have mentioned that the next update will include DNLA (finally), for streaming movies in music to your console. That was his first bullet point haha.

Xbox one has plenty of indies right now to hold you between games, including Super Time Force.

Also, since your brother owns an Xbox One as well, you guys could get some use out of the game sharing feature. You get to share Xbox Live, and any game you buy digitally automatically shows up on both consoles, so you guys could take turns buying games or something.

Honestly if I were you, I'd get a Xbox now, and pick up a PS4 in about another year or so. Right now IMO, Microsoft has a better exclusive line up than Sony at the moment, but by then, I'll say they'll both be pretty even.

#34 Posted by Junkerman (279 posts) -

Thanks for all the info guys!

I think I'm going to go with the PS4.

#35 Posted by tp0p (88 posts) -
#36 Posted by xyzygy (10079 posts) -

It sounds to me like the Xbox One would be the better choice, as you will be able to play Destiny with someone you actually know (makes a game a ton more fun) and the exclsuives (exclusidng Bloodborne) you like seem to be more on the Xbox. The only thing is that it doesn't have as many indies released as PS4, but even then practically all of them are also available on PC.

#37 Posted by Corvak (1173 posts) -

Dual Shock 4 is fine. Battery life is lower, but I plug it in at night. The Xbox One controller has an insane battery life - though you have to buy batteries or a charge kit for it.

#38 Posted by bgmnts (31 posts) -

Sunset Overdrive, Tom Raider (for a while) and Quantum Break or Bloodborne.

I personally am much inclined toward the former but I can see how the latter is enticing enough.

#39 Posted by Marduke1913 (31 posts) -

Cant wait till the PS4 comes to China but i dont think thats for a while.....im not shipping one here from the US