New Double Fine kickstarter.. MASSIVE CHALICE!

• 124 results
TJUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By TJUK

To be honest, I don't even care if the game never even gets made. I pitched in my $20 purely on the strength of the video. Brilliant.

Avatar image for piqued_interest
Piqued_Interest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Piqued_Interest

I think the only thing that could make this game better would be final approval from master fungineer Karen.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By jakob187

FUN-DED!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah not interested. I already dislike the adventure game they are making. Damn I hate the artstyle...

And this game is the only kickstarter project I regret backing up.....

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Darji

Nah not interested. I already dislike the adventure game they are making. Damn I hate the artstyle...

And this game is the only kickstarter project I regret backing up.....

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#57  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

Hell-to-the-Yes.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By KentonClay

I like everything about the idea.

Will back.

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By furiousjodo

@barrabas said:

I'm pretty pro Double Fine and Brad Muir, but I don't like it when companies launch a new kickstarter before they've delivered on their previous one.

Eh, I'm not too concerned about that, Double Fine isn't super small and they say in the video whatever that it is a different team so I would have faith that they aren't going to be crossing the streams or whatever. From the Kickstarter page -

Another Double Fine Kickstarter?

Last year, you Kickstarted Double Fine Adventure, shattering records and bringing video games to the Kickstarter spotlight! Now known as Broken Age, that game is in full production and is already a beautiful and unique experience—but the Broken Age team only represents a third of our multi-game studio.

cruxking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've started playing a game where I refresh the kick-starter page every min or so and watch the money pour in. I don't know how much of that is from the GB community but i'd like to think we can take a majority of the credit. Also I already threw money at them, gonna get a sick ass signed poster! And the game of course. It's not like I'm more pumped about getting Brad Muirs signature than a video game. Because that would be weird right?

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Everything about this is great. Couldn't back it fast enough.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm ready to throw money at Muir.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@barrabas said:

@horseman6 said:

@barrabas: they are being developed by different teams. When did people forget that even midsized companies have dozens of people working on different things at once? Double fine isn't an indie company with only 5 employees.

The size of the company and number of products they can juggle at once is completely irrelevant to the reason I feel the way I do. I don't think you should treat consumers like they are publishers. When you ask for money in good faith by the former, I just feel you should deliver that product before asking for money again on a second. To me that seems to do the ethical thing to do. Prove you can deliver on the last product before asking for more. If you want to produce multiple games at once go by more traditional funding routes for other products. Frankly if you're a big enough company to juggle multiple products you should be big enough to also go down more traditional funding routes.

I guess you didn't back Broken Age ... what makes this project different to most Kickstarters is that they have the documentation from 2PP ... so everyone who backed that game knows pretty well how it is going and at this point I can assure you that the game will make it to (digital) shelfs. So to me at least there is no question they can deliver on what they set out to do. That together with the several-team argument they give in the video does make this (imho) a very valid kickstarter. It's not that I don't get what you are saying but you can't just dimiss this idea outright without taking all the factors into account.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#68  Edited By Barrabas
@furiousjodo said:

@barrabas said:

I'm pretty pro Double Fine and Brad Muir, but I don't like it when companies launch a new kickstarter before they've delivered on their previous one.

Eh, I'm not too concerned about that, Double Fine isn't super small and they say in the video whatever that it is a different team so I would have faith that they aren't going to be crossing the streams or whatever. From the Kickstarter page -

Another Double Fine Kickstarter?

Last year, you Kickstarted Double Fine Adventure, shattering records and bringing video games to the Kickstarter spotlight! Now known as Broken Age, that game is in full production and is already a beautiful and unique experience—but the Broken Age team only represents a third of our multi-game studio.

I already replied to a comment like this on the previous page.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

You're a massive chalice.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to buy every lottery ticket I can do I can come up with the $10k for that reward.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@barrabas said:

@horseman6 said:

@barrabas: they are being developed by different teams. When did people forget that even midsized companies have dozens of people working on different things at once? Double fine isn't an indie company with only 5 employees.

The size of the company and number of products they can juggle at once is completely irrelevant to the reason I feel the way I do. I don't think you should treat consumers like they are publishers. When you ask for money in good faith by the former, I just feel you should deliver that product before asking for money again on a second. To me that seems to do the ethical thing to do. Prove you can deliver on the last product before asking for more. If you want to produce multiple games at once go by more traditional funding routes for other products. Frankly if you're a big enough company to juggle multiple products you should be big enough to also go down more traditional funding routes.

Except that publishers in the past have been notoriously shitty to DF about greenlighting their projects. Instead of pandering to publishers, they have the option and market clout to pull of a kickstarter (and who wouldn't if they could?) which gives them numerous advantages. I don't understand how crowdfunding is supposed to work unless it is treating consumers like they are well kickstarters. I agree that it would have shown better if they delivered on Broken Age first, that is without a doubt, but as a business trying what they can to keep afloat while maintaining their creative control, Kickstarter makes more than enough sense.

If the atmosphere isn't there to really fund it, then it won't get funded and that's that. If it does, DF gets another game they can be making and I personally see nothing wrong with that. Besides, I'm willing to see DF be the ones to truly test the model of Kickstarter more than anyone as they have a lot of experience with other funding models (angel investors, publishers, etc.).

beardfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By beardfish

They had me at Brad, but double fine fire emblem sounds dope.

It's a bitter pill though - giving brad a project to lead will likely mean less Brad Muir appearances on GB..

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#74  Edited By StarvingGamer

LMAO that video was hilarious

Also I never noticed before but Brad Muir has massive fangs.

Corasaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Brad Muir is the best and this game sounds dope as shit.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hamst3r said:

You're a massive chalice.

Yo bro Imma give her the massive chalice, YA KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING!

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By leinad44

BRAD MUIR! *Hurls wad of money*.....What did I just fund?

jondan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

:D

Yeah, this really clinched it for me too.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By jay_ray

That pitch video... wow... just full of awesome

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Devil240Z

Yay, this looks cool. Way more interesting than brazen looked, though obviously we only saw a tiny demo of it.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82  Edited By EuanDewar

so happy for Brad Muir :DDDDD

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That video is pretty epic. Just a bit wary of Double Fine asking people to finance a second kickstarter when the first one isnt done yet.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

yes! this looks so good.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty much the best thing ever :D

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#86  Edited By Barrabas

@2headedninja: @bacongames: Yes, I didn't fund Broken Age. I'm not a big fan of adventure games. The only one I've ever liked is The Walking Dead and I've tried a few. Well also Puzzle Agent if you want to count that but it's more of a puzzle game. So I have no idea what they are telling you in that regard. I also have no idea what you mean by "documentation from 2PP."

It seems I'm coming off a bit as the bad guy here. Maybe I was a too harsh in bringing it up as an ethical choice. If they had a couple other successfully funded an released kickstarter games I might feel completely different about it, but right now I can't help but feel uneasy. So I won't fund them, but I'm not telling everyone else not to if they want. Hell, spend your money on whatever you want. It's none of my business. I will say that if everything goes well and the game comes out as it hopefully will, it sounds like the Double Fine game that is the most up my alley out of anything they've ever made. I will buy that game. I just won't fund it now.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@barrabas: I really don't care if they use KS or not but I still wonder if Double Fine really made that little money over the past few years. I thought Iron Brigade and Costume Quest sold pretty well. At least enough to keep em afloat to develop their next game. I'm not judging em for using KS I'm just curious how much money they made off of IB and CQ.

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Johnny_Sailor

I did help fund their original kickstarter project, and am in complete agreement with @Barrabus.

They haven't proven what they're capable of yet with a crowd-funded game. It's naive to simply assume its going to be great just because they don't have anyone breathing down their necks with deadlines and requirements.

I like DF and Brad Muir, but will pass on funding another of their games until they prove they're capable of turning out a worthwhile product with this business model.

The point that the original kickstarter game is only a small percentage of their workgroup is irrelevant in my opinion.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@barrabas: I really don't care if they use KS or not but I still wonder if Double Fine really made that little money over the past few years. I thought Iron Brigade and Costume Quest sold pretty well. At least enough to keep em afloat to develop their next game. I'm not judging em for using KS I'm just curious how much money they made off of IB and CQ.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#90  Edited By blueinferno

Even when he's getting puked on by Satan, Brad Muir is still smiling.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By gike987

I'm a little worried about double fine making a turn based strategy game. They have never been the best when it comes to gameplay systems, as shown by Brutal Legend and Costume Quest. They make funny and imaginative games with pretty good stories and worldbuilding but those things are far from the most important things in strategy games. These kinds of games are all about the systems and you have to make sure that they are intuitive and balanced and provide the player with interesting strategic choices.

Making a good strategy game is really hard. I really hope Double Fine are able to make this game because the concept is really interesting.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only complaint is they are doing a kickstarter before the fruits of their first kickstarter are produced and consumed.....but then its Double fine and Brad muir which we know arnt bad people so that helps.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Zeik

@maskedarcstrike: I think the point is that they're trying to circumvent the need to go through a publisher. Even if Iron Brigade and Costume Quest did reasonably well, I highly doubt it was well enough for them to fund a brand new game without the aid of a publisher.

posh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#96  Edited By posh

I was talking a while ago about how great the resurgence of turn-based strategy is, what with fire emblem, xcom and skulls of the shogun all coming out recently and all being fantastic games I'm pretty hopeful about the future of the genre. so into this game

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything in this game sounds fantastic except

"randomized"

I don't think I've ever played a game where randomized content was any good. (except, like, small things like board layout in xcom or something.)

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@gike987 said:

I'm a little worried about double fine making a turn based strategy game. They have never been the best when it comes to gameplay systems, as shown by Brutal Legend and Costume Quest. They make funny and imaginative games with pretty good stories and worldbuilding but those things are far from the most important things in strategy games. These kinds of games are all about the systems and you have to make sure that they are intuitive and balanced and provide the player with interesting strategic choices.

Making a good strategy game is really hard. I really hope Double Fine are able to make this game because the concept is really interesting.

Did you play Iron Brigade?

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Sploder

Sounds tight, I'll chuck some money at this when I get paid

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@marokai: Not trying to sound condescending in any way, but that's how the biz works. Would you prefer they laid off staff who weren't doing anything (not assuming you would)?