• 126 results
#101 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@posh said:

I was talking a while ago about how great the resurgence of turn-based strategy is, what with fire emblem, xcom and skulls of the shogun all coming out recently and all being fantastic games I'm pretty hopeful about the future of the genre. so into this game

And this is why I'm such a big fan of Kickstarter. Adventure games, turn based strategy, classic RTS and isometric RPG's.

I don't know why anyone is excited for next-gen consoles when the best upcoming games are right here.

#102 Edited by BaconGames (3566 posts) -

@barrabas said:

@bacongames: Yes, I didn't fund Broken Age. I'm not a big fan of adventure games. The only one I've ever liked is The Walking Dead and I've tried a few. Well also Puzzle Agent if you want to count that but it's more of a puzzle game. So I have no idea what they are telling you in that regard. I also have no idea what you mean by "documentation from 2PP."

It seems I'm coming off a bit as the bad guy here. Maybe I was a too harsh in bringing it up as an ethical choice. If they had a couple other successfully funded an released kickstarter games I might feel completely different about it, but right now I can't help but feel uneasy. So I won't fund them, but I'm not telling everyone else not to if they want. Hell, spend your money on whatever you want. It's none of my business. I will say that if everything goes well and the game comes out as it hopefully will, it sounds like the Double Fine game that is the most up my alley out of anything they've ever made. I will buy that game. I just won't fund it now.

In that sense I can totally see where anyone is coming from. Kickstarter overall needs more test cases and successful projects to really earn confidence from a certain demographic of potential backers. I didn't intend to make it sound like your view was invalid but I felt that in this instance Kickstarter made too much business sense to use that consequences be damned almost and DF happens to be such a feel good developer the case is that much easier to make.

Besides, who wouldn't want to give Brad Muir more money?

#103 Posted by JackSukeru (5963 posts) -

Where's the chalice? All I see is two faces.

#104 Edited by TorMasturba (1089 posts) -

Huh... Oh why not!

#105 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (384 posts) -

A life without Brad Muir's Massive Chalice isn't a life worth contemplating.

#106 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@posh said:

I was talking a while ago about how great the resurgence of turn-based strategy is, what with fire emblem, xcom and skulls of the shogun all coming out recently and all being fantastic games I'm pretty hopeful about the future of the genre. so into this game

And this is why I'm such a big fan of Kickstarter. Adventure games, turn based strategy, classic RTS and isometric RPG's.

I don't know why anyone is excited for next-gen consoles when the best upcoming games are right here.

Totally agreed. That's why I'm frustrated that giantbomb is so anti-kickstarter.

@barrabas said:

@bacongames: Yes, I didn't fund Broken Age. I'm not a big fan of adventure games. The only one I've ever liked is The Walking Dead and I've tried a few. Well also Puzzle Agent if you want to count that but it's more of a puzzle game. So I have no idea what they are telling you in that regard. I also have no idea what you mean by "documentation from 2PP."

It seems I'm coming off a bit as the bad guy here. Maybe I was a too harsh in bringing it up as an ethical choice. If they had a couple other successfully funded an released kickstarter games I might feel completely different about it, but right now I can't help but feel uneasy. So I won't fund them, but I'm not telling everyone else not to if they want. Hell, spend your money on whatever you want. It's none of my business. I will say that if everything goes well and the game comes out as it hopefully will, it sounds like the Double Fine game that is the most up my alley out of anything they've ever made. I will buy that game. I just won't fund it now.

In that sense I can totally see where anyone is coming from. Kickstarter overall needs more test cases and successful projects to really earn confidence from a certain demographic of potential backers. I didn't intend to make it sound like your view was invalid but I felt that in this instance Kickstarter made too much business sense to use that consequences be damned almost and DF happens to be such a feel good developer the case is that much easier to make.

Besides, who wouldn't want to give Brad Muir more money?

I feel like kickstarter-haters don't understand that you can pick and choose what projects to fund. If people get burned on kickstarter... well... they're probably funding dumb projects that they never should have funded. I've funded a pretty large number of projects at this point, and I've always been satisfied. For instance, I watched "The Totally Rad Show" for years, so when Jeff Cannata needed funding, I had no problem funding him. I know who he is. Showbread is one of my favorite bands and they released 4 albums on a major label. I funded two of their kickstarter records and I was completely satisfied. Shadowrun was one of my favorite SNES games. It's a risk to fund, but I trusted the people in charge of it and the scope of the game seemed reasonable. The dumb OOYA CLEARLY was making promises that would be impossible to deliver and was talking as though things were facts when they clearly couldn't be. I didn't fund that project. No regrets.

It's not rocket science.

#107 Edited by mellotronrules (1244 posts) -

well, i buy that pitch. and i trust colon D. and doublefine.

for 20 bones, I'M IN!

e: although i AM disappointed there isn't a reward tier for a MASSIVE CHALICE party. coupla kegs, chalices, maybe mandatory helmets with horns. would have been great.

#108 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@jazgalaxy: they aren't anti kickstarter, theyre anti "spamming my inbox with your kickstarter"

Patrick puts kickstarters in worth reading after all

#109 Posted by Gnubberen (783 posts) -

I'll do it, for Brad Muir.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ColonD :D :D :D

#110 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1765 posts) -

@barrabas said:

@2headedninja: @bacongames: Yes, I didn't fund Broken Age. I'm not a big fan of adventure games. The only one I've ever liked is The Walking Dead and I've tried a few. Well also Puzzle Agent if you want to count that but it's more of a puzzle game. So I have no idea what they are telling you in that regard. I also have no idea what you mean by "documentation from 2PP."

As I said, you do have a valid point in a sense. The documentation I was talking about is made by the guys from 2 Player Productions and showed the making of the game from the beginning. They are showing new parts on a regular basis so people who backed the game have a pretty good idea what the state of the game is and where the problems are. So I think a lot of people feel quite comfortable with backing another DF game since they have been pretty open about whats going on. But there are only a few developers out there who could do the same.

Overall I think we will see the impact that Kickstarter has till the end of the year. The first projects are starting to roll in (Shadowrun is due next month, Star Command is out on apple devices etc.) and I have not heard of any big projects failing yet. I think everything will sort itself out over time, Kickstarter will remain a valid source of funding for some developers. And that can only be a good thing for us.

#111 Posted by gike987 (1778 posts) -

@jazgalaxy:

Weird comment. It sound like you like X-Com and that game is almost completely randomized, it's not only small things. What soldiers you get, which locations Aliens attack, how the maps look and the Aliens you meet on the map are all things that are randomized. The only thing they have mentioned being randomized are the heroes you get when you start and what events you get (just like X-Com).

@starvinggamer:

No it had GFWL, only Double Fine game I haven't played. It looks better than their previous games, but it's a tower defense game one of the easiest forms of strategy games you can make. I'm still not confident in their ability to make something as complex as this work well. It sounds like a full-blown strategy game with two different layers interacting with each other, it's one of the most systems heavy games you could make. It sounds really ambitious, even Firaxis had to go to many iterations before they managed to make the new X-Com. I have no doubt that they will be able to finish it many smaller studios are making strategy games, the difficult part is making it fun to play. I will still back it because I like the idea, but I still have my doubts on how it will turn out so I will probably only give $20.

#112 Edited by Milkman (17308 posts) -

Second Kickstarter I've ever backed.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#113 Edited by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@animasta said:

@jazgalaxy: they aren't anti kickstarter, theyre anti "spamming my inbox with your kickstarter"

Patrick puts kickstarters in worth reading after all

I don't feel like they are anti kickstarter the business so much as they seem anti-kickstarter regarding the people who fund them. Maybe it's just me, but they (mostly Patrick) talk about kickstarter backers like they're all rubes who are getting suckered. They keep saying stuff like "we'll have to see if any of this stuff ever comes out", and crap, while I'm sitting there listening to kickstarted albums and playing kickstarted games that I own.

#114 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

#team :D

#115 Edited by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

We're inspired by classic tactical strategy games like X-COM, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem, as well as Game of Thrones’ array of noble families.

#116 Edited by BaneFireLord (2956 posts) -
#117 Posted by subsalicylate (41 posts) -

Pledging $20 gets you the game. Does that mean the game will be $20 at retail?

A combination of FFT, Fire Emblem, and CK2 (I know they say GOT, but CK2 is GOT in spirit) sounds great.

#118 Edited by TheMasterDS (2131 posts) -

At first I was a bit worried the big name they were alluding to would be Ron Gilbert but I was super stoked to see Brad Muir show up. I then funded the game.

#119 Posted by demonbear (1877 posts) -
#120 Posted by development (2612 posts) -

Best Kickstarter video in existence! Brad's got a ton of grey hairs all of a sudden.

#121 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1765 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy said:

You have my sword Mr. Muir. And my money.

and my AXE!!!!

Sell your axe and give him the money.

#122 Edited by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Holy crap it's already over $300,000! O__O

#123 Posted by StarvingGamer (8545 posts) -

@gike987 said:

@starvinggamer:

No it had GFWL, only Double Fine game I haven't played. It looks better than their previous games, but it's a tower defense game one of the easiest forms of strategy games you can make. I'm still not confident in their ability to make something as complex as this work well. It sounds like a full-blown strategy game with two different layers interacting with each other, it's one of the most systems heavy games you could make. It sounds really ambitious, even Firaxis had to go to many iterations before they managed to make the new X-Com. I have no doubt that they will be able to finish it many smaller studios are making strategy games, the difficult part is making it fun to play. I will still back it because I like the idea, but I still have my doubts on how it will turn out so I will probably only give $20.

The real systems and mechanics driving Iron Brigade are the mech construction, loot collection, group dynamics, and third-person-shooter gameplay. The tower defense moniker can only be applied to it in the broadest terms as a general guideline for mission structure. It is significantly more complex than other Double Fine releases and, seeing as how it is also a Brad Muir joint, is the best comparison point when considering their ability to make a system-heavy game like Massive Chalice.

#124 Posted by maskedarcstrike (700 posts) -

@zeik said:

@maskedarcstrike: I think the point is that they're trying to circumvent the need to go through a publisher. Even if Iron Brigade and Costume Quest did reasonably well, I highly doubt it was well enough for them to fund a brand new game without the aid of a publisher.

I hear ya, I can see why Brazen didn't get picked up by a publisher cause honestly what little they showed of that didn't look that great imo. I would think they would at least be able to get Massive Chalice some publisher support, Microsoft was pretty generous in giving em help on Iron Brigade. Which would be nice since they would probably get more money to create a higher quality product than the 750k they want on KS. But the world isn't perfect.

Without a publisher though what are the chances for future console releases? Have any publishers picked up PC only Kickstarted games to port em on consoles?

#125 Edited by demonbear (1877 posts) -
#126 Posted by MrMooEar (19 posts) -

Hey guys! I thought I would just jump in this thread and say thanks! :D!

We're trying to answer as many questions as possible on our Kickstarter page and through all of the other crazy social media places that people are talking about the game. It's taking a while to get through it all!

But I really appreciate your support! The Giant Bomb community has been so great to Double Fine. You guys are an awesome bunch and it's so cool to pop over here and see a thread with a lot of positivity in it! Thanks for making me colon dee even more! And thanks for backing MASSIVE CHALICE! :D!

Love,

Brad! :D!

#127 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@mrmooear said:

Hey guys! I thought I would just jump in this thread and say thanks! :D!

We're trying to answer as many questions as possible on our Kickstarter page and through all of the other crazy social media places that people are talking about the game. It's taking a while to get through it all!

But I really appreciate your support! The Giant Bomb community has been so great to Double Fine. You guys are an awesome bunch and it's so cool to pop over here and see a thread with a lot of positivity in it! Thanks for making me colon dee even more! And thanks for backing MASSIVE CHALICE! :D!

Love,

Brad! :D!

Good luck, ye of the grand smile!

#128 Posted by bslayer (220 posts) -

I like the "boxart" and how the left side of the chalice is a young person and the right side is the older version of that person.

#129 Edited by Tearhead (2214 posts) -

This idea sounds very interesting. I love Fire Emblem and XCOM, but $20 is a bit too much for me to throw at a product sight unseen. I'll be sure to look out for Massive Chalice if/when it gets closer to release.

#130 Edited by Lydian_Sel (2501 posts) -

I read Brad Muir & XCOM. That was all it took!

#131 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Double Fine Presents: Brad Muir's Eugenics Simulator

#132 Edited by jeffrud (422 posts) -

I didn't back Broken Age, and I wasn't really planning on backing anything else until Wasteland 2 and The Banner Saga dropped. Then I saw this little nugget in the FAQ section:

Are women in MASSIVE CHALICE only meant to have children and raise them?

MASSIVE CHALICE will be a very inclusive game! It’s true that in the pitch video we reference an immortal King (drawn in the likeness of Brad) but in the final game we want the player to have the role of an immortal king or queen. And your bloodlines and fighting force will be made of both male and female heroes – equally capable of splitting demonic skulls!

As somebody with more than a passing interest in gender roles, I think it's pretty cool that whoever was responsible for the copy on that page was able to notice that the pitch video was perhaps not as inclusive as it could have been. Not that I've any doubts about Double Fine's politics, but it is nice to see them expressed so clearly. Hell, it might even make me drop $20. Also, Fire Emblem.

#133 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5977 posts) -

Brad Muir, making a strategy game akin to Fire Emblem, Xcom and Final Fantasy Tactics. I can't support this fast enough.

#134 Edited by MrMooEar (19 posts) -

@jeffrud - our intention was always that your hero squad will be made up of both male and female heroes. We put the video together pretty quickly and one of our artists Raz had the idea to use my bearded bespectacled face as the king and also hero in question! I didn't realize until it was too late that this might imply that women are not welcome on the battlefield. Nothing could be farther from the truth! :D!

#135 Edited by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

So what the fuck. We need bullet points; I just saw the one hour video and my mind is spinning.

#136 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

@posh said:

I'm happy about this too. I don't get why there are complains about Kickstarter becoming more about the established devs than indy devs; because the main goal is to have good games made; some people have totally lost the plot.

#137 Posted by jeffrud (422 posts) -

@mrmooear: You realize you just sold a copy of Massive Chalice, right?

#138 Posted by MrMooEar (19 posts) -

I'm back again! What a crazy week!

If you haven't been back since the opening of the Kickstarter we've put out a SHITLOAD OF UPDATES with new details and artwork about MASSIVE CHALICE. All of these can be seen by backers and non-backers alike... check it out!We're in the last 48 hours of the campaign! Thanks so much for your support you guys. It means a lot to me. :D!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice

And here's some dope new concept art! We'll be posting a high-res version of this on the page tomorrow! :D!

Brad!

#139 Posted by christopherson329 (219 posts) -

TEAM MUIRCAT

#140 Posted by ChrisHarris (285 posts) -
#141 Posted by TheHT (11766 posts) -

Yay for customizable heroes!