#1  Edited By xyzygy
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It's not really a "new" trailer, per se.  I have not watched it yet but I do know that apparently it's difficult to explain.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Al3xand3r

Visually it seems nearly flawless. Too bad for most of everything else, it makes me think of FF8 (not a good thing).

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy
@Al3xand3r: I thought the same thing. About the relationships and stuff like that. Except, I liked FF8..
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

The trailer looks good, the game better not flop. Anything less than 90% on gamerankings imo would be unacceptable.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy
@HitmanAgent47: Many of the great Final Fantasies have gotten below 90s. I don't see how that should sway your opinion of the game...
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@xyzygy: Well lately alot of japanese style games aren't getting good reviews this gen unlike last gen. A good example would be capcom games. I just don't want to be dissapointed since I bought the ps3 waiting for this game.
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Kiemoe
@xyzygy said:
" @Al3xand3r: I thought the same thing. About the relationships and stuff like that. Except, I liked FF8.. "
Yeah, I really enjoyed 8 too, but I don't think I'll watch the trailer, just in case anything actually gets spoiled. I draw a lot more comparisons towards 7 though, with all of the ex-military going against the military and witty token black guy and girl in pink who'll probably die. Stuff like that.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By eroticfishcake

Oh this game. I forgot this series existed. I don't know how I should feel about this, I just feel a little burned out of Final Fantasy.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r
@HitmanAgent47 said:

" @xyzygy: Well lately alot of japanese style games aren't getting good reviews this gen unlike last gen. A good example would be capcom games. I just don't want to be dissapointed since I bought the ps3 waiting for this game. "

I can only think of Bionic Commando as a striking example, and that was outsourced to a Western studio, GRIN (bankrupt).

Anyway yeah, for this game I meant the tone of the character relationships and how emo they are, and also that I dislike what I hear of the battle system which doesn't give you direct control of all characters, you just set AI patterns or some crap like that. Not that FF8 was like that, but it just also had systems I disliked in its combat, the whole drawing aspect and all that. I bet that after release they'll decide to change it and make an "International" re-release that will remain Japan-only and fix up the combat system to give full control, like they did for FFX (I think).

@eroticfishcake said:

" Oh this game. I forgot this series existed. I don't know how I should feel about this, I just feel a little burned out of Final Fantasy. "

Same (ish), that's why I look forward to TCB instead, it looks like Square's finally trying to freshen up their tired formula, and it works.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" The trailer looks good, the game better not flop. Anything less than 90% on gamerankings imo would be unacceptable. "
You were actually serious?  Dude, reviews should not sway your opinion on a game.  If you bought the PS3 for the game, buy FF XIII and form your own opinion on it.  It's strange how you can just let someone else decide if something's good or not when you won't have the same tastes as them.
Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#12  Edited By Ping5000

The characters and writing seem really bleh. It's been done a million times before, and that trailer doesn't seem to indicate that it's doing anything really different with the narrative.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Al3xand3r: What about resident evil 5? resident evil 4 is 95% and resident evil 5 is 86% on gamerankings. What about the devil may cry series? I'm not saying they were all AAA, however it's really a disapointment at 84% gamerankings now. Japanese studios needs to step their game up. Considering games like oblivion or mass effect raised the bar for rpg games, a japanese style game like FFXIII might not be as competitive imo.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By clubsandwich

oh god, no! that was so sad :'(

looks fantastic btw

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By veektarius

If there's anything that a trailer can't convey, it's the narrative of a game that spans fifty hours.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By slinky6
@HitmanAgent47 said:
" The trailer looks good, the game better not flop. Anything less than 90% on gamerankings imo would be unacceptable. "
The game's not going to flop.   It's called Final Fantasy.   Also it will most likely be well-made, making most of what  people like or dislike about it subjective.   But who knows maybe it will be a buggy piece of shit.   Wait till it comes out before you start worrying about reviews.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@FluxWaveZ: I researched this gameranking system I used alot, it seems that AAA games has less flaws if any. It has good gameplay and good graphics. Obviously if a game was AA, something is lacking, mostly gameplay. That's why a game like batman arkham asylum is AAA. I really hope final fantasy XIII is still good, considering other jrpg games from square enix is absolute trash. 

I take reviews seriously as a reply to others because I haven't played an AAA game I didn't like yet, with the exception of movie gear solid 4. That game had too many cutscenes and not enough gameplay. Look I like final fantasy games that are designed by nomura's character designs, it better not dissapoint me.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r
@HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Al3xand3r: What about resident evil 5? resident evil 4 is 95% and resident evil 5 is 86% on gamerankings. What about the devil may cry series? I'm not saying they were all AAA, however it's really a disapointment at 84% gamerankings now. Japanese studios needs to step their game up. Considering games like oblivion or mass effect raised the bar for rpg games, a japanese style game like FFXIII might not be as competitive imo. "

Um, a 10% difference in scores is hardly indicative of an objective drop in quality considering the differences that can exist in the pool of reviews for the two games (unless the exact same sources had reviewed both, but they didn't), and also how one is a sequel that follows the other's footsteps so will have obviously lost the initial wow factor, without necessarily making it a worse game. Personally I didn't enjoy RE5 anywhere near as much, but if I judged it by the overall reviews tone I would have expected to, so that doesn't help your point...

And lol @ your definition of AAA. They call the games AAA exactly because they end up liking them, not vice versa... Unless it happens to be a small low-budget project they end up liking which they won't call AAA since it clearly won't have required all that money, but almost anything from a big studio that they like, they'll call it that. Not all games are ever defined as AAA, AA, A, B or whatever so how you use that to judge them?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond

'AAA' is simply a marketing term, it's a definition of how much they spend on development & marketing.  It has nothing to do with the quality of a game.

Reviews are pointless too.  Worry about the game, not the review score.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

@FluxWaveZ: I researched this gameranking system I used alot, it seems that AAA games has less flaws if any. It has good gameplay and good graphics. Obviously if a game was AA, something is lacking, mostly gameplay. That's why a game like batman arkham asylum is AAA. I really hope final fantasy XIII is still good, considering other jrpg games from square enix is absolute trash. 

I take reviews seriously because I haven't played an AAA game I didn't like yet, with the exception of movie gear solid 4. That game had too many cutscenes and not enough gameplay. Look I like final fantasy games that are designed by nomura's character designs, it better not dissapoint me. You have to wonder why so many ps3 exclusives aren't AAA, like infAAmous or unchAArted, it's good, however it's not perfect. I already waited a few years for this game, too bad it's multiplatform now, considering I bought the ps3 for it.

AAA game = good gameplay good graphics no flaws

AA = good graphics, okay gameplay, flaws

Less than AA = tons of flaws, mediocre gameplay

Honestly I am not ready to be dissapointed with FFXIII, it better be flawless and the gameplay better be top notch. Japanese developers didn't make all that many good jrpg games this gen or games, statistically there was a real decline in quality according to the scores, that's a fact.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Al3xand3r: Yeah when I saw the video of that I thought "Woah fuck! What game is this?! Is this FF?!". Since they're breaking off from the usual formula I think I'd like to give that one a whizz.
slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By slinky6

Some things looked really good, some things were borderline uncanny valley territory, and some things looked goofy.   But overall I'm pumped for this shit.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

@HitmanAgent47 said:

"AAA game = good gameplay good graphics no flaws

AA = good graphics, okay gameplay, flaws

Less than AA = tons of flaws, mediocre gameplay  "

I have never, ever, used an image like this before...I thought I never would.
I'm sure your parents must be very happy with your grades though, if that's how you think in life... Good luck with that btw. 
Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Phantom_Crash

Visually stunning but there was too much drama for my taste but Ill get it.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By TheHBK

I hate to break it to everyone, but this is basically a FFX remake, and even that was a a FFV remake.  Sorry, but you have all been playing the same game for the last 20 years!  My message is simple, Final Fantasy needs to evolve.  But it wont because the only japanese company with the balls to do anything different is Capcom.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cornman89

I don't know... This gen, I've realized I might just be growing out of the Japanese style of storytelling, so this trailer kinda grated on me. Me, who played and loved every FF, 6 and above. Madness.

Gameplay looks fresh by JRPG standards though, so I'll still check it out if the character leveling system is interesting (like a Sphere Grid-type thing).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Diamond said:
" 'AAA' is simply a marketing term, it's a definition of how much they spend on development & marketing.  It has nothing to do with the quality of a game.  Reviews are pointless too.  Worry about the game, not the review score. "
This.  I can't believe people still have trouble defining this.  It's just used for the budget behind a game, not the game's quality.

Anyways, I've watched the trailer, and it was good but not great.  There was too much drama, and I hope the whole story is not like that or else I might end up not liking it as much.  The battles definitely look better than any other JRPG ever created, but the numbers flying everywhere was kind of distracting.  I'm glad to see Sazh is not solely a comic-relief character.  I've never played through a Final Fantasy game but I have FFX (I've played it for about an hour) and I intend on finishing it to understand how an FF game generally works.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By KamasamaK

I saw the Japanese version not long ago, and I must say the English voice acting is what I would expect. Not tremendous, but notably above average. It is unfortunate that they won't even offer the choice to change tracks, though.

slayerofheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By slayerofheroes
@xyzygy: The lip synching to some of the characters isn't very good..
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy
@slayerofheroes: Who knows if the English lipsynching is even done yet though? Besides, I think that is really trivial.
KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By KingBroly

In that trailer, it's not done.  There's a difference from what you see in the beginning and what you see in the end.  Oh, and it does matter.  It throws you off. 

Also, the English voice acting...still terrible.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

I dont understand how you can say the voice acting is terrible... I really don't. I think it's so well done from what I've seen of the trailer so far. 

I also don't get the negativity towards this game. Chill the fuck out people. You aren't critics, you're gamers. 

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Red

I haven't cared much for FF13 after I saw it getting delayed again and again, and this didn't really help. The combat system looks cool and I bet it has some cool moments, but too much bland melodrama.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By juice8367

I really hate the writing

Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer is amazing as usual with Final Fantasy trailers but I do think it was way too spoilerish. 

Darniaq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Darniaq

Just from this trailer, I'd actually rather see a full length movie of it than play the game behind which the cutscenes are locked :) But I'm not the audience because it's always been the case with me and FF games.

Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Spongetwan

This trailer is hot. I think i am a recovering FF junkie so i will look forward to getting back into that universe!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince

I think it looks fantastic, and the English voice acting gladly is top tier. I'm still super confused at what the hell is going on with all the Falcie stuff.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xyzygy
@LiquidPrince: Apparently there are two kind of species in the world - the L'Cie and the Fal'Cie. The L'Cie are oppressed by the Fal'Cie, don't know why though. Snow is apparently a L'Cie and Lightning is a Fal'Cie... But I have no idea what that really means either. :P I'm guessing it's going to be a vessel for some extremely useful power later on in the game.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho

I think it looks like an alright game but not at all like a game that would require 5 years of dev time.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm not impressed. I don't really understand the universe, it sems complicated and strange, but not in a good way. I just don't see what the appeal is supposed to be there. Same with the characters, I don't understand what they're talking about or why I'm supposed to care about them. I wasn't a fan of the battle system in XII, and this doesn't look a whole lot better. I could go on nitpicking things I disliked about it, but I think you get the point.

I'll probably at least give the game a chance, but I think my biggest problem is the fact they're expecting us to care, simply because it's Final Fantasy, where as other games would perhaps be trying to help us get to know the characters and universe a little more, here they're just ramming it down our throats, expecting us to like it and are already planning numerous sequels and spin-offs.

So thanks, but no thanks.  There's infinitly more interesting sci-fi RPG's coming next year.

kuwabaratheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By kuwabaratheman

Looks really awesome. I'm definitely interested in the story and characters based on what we've seen in the trailers, and it looks like there will be a lot of dramatic moments. This game is really looking promising in every possible way.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CL60
@slayerofheroes said:
" @xyzygy: The lip synching to some of the characters isn't very good.. "
they just dubbed over the English onto the Japanese syncing cause it isn't finished yet.