#1 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -
If you've been reading my past few Development Diaries, you may have noticed that we have been working on a fairly large forum/blog re-write. Basically, what we're doing is allowing users to (optionally) attach their blog posts to a board in the forums. You can read more about it herehere and here.
So I'm cleaning up a few random bugs and we should be rolling this new feature out this weekend. 

The Rub: Due to the complexity of the data migration, we're going to have to take the site down for (by all estimates) about an hour while we update our servers with the latest code and move all the data around accordingly.

We plan on doing this Sunday evening (late) - apologies to all you European users out there :( 

Anyway, if everything goes well, we should be making the move at like 10:00pm Sunday night and the site will most likely be down till about 11:30 (maybe later) that night. We'll be keeping you dudes posted as we get closer. 

Thanks for all of your support. Can't wait for you guys to get the new tools.
#2 Posted by MB (12258 posts) -

Sounds dope dude, is this rollout going to include the new reporting feature and do away with the current rating system as well, or is that coming later?

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Wicked.

#4 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -
MB said:
"Sounds dope dude, is this rollout going to include the new reporting feature and do away with the current rating system as well, or is that coming later?"
MB - that isn't a feature of this release. Dave and I will be looking to that to see if its something we want to do. It most likely is - we just have to balance that with other features we want to spend time to build out. Good question.
#5 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

Will official news stories be placed as topics now too, so people can mingle commenters and posters?

#6 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Sounds awesome, you think it might be possible in the future to have like a banner dedicated to the blog/forum?

#7 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Sounds good to me, Sunday is usually hangover day for most people so no worries :D

#8 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -

Screenshots of the new tools:

#9 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Will official news stories be placed as topics now too, so people can mingle commenters and posters?"
Yep... phase two.
#10 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
coonce said:
"Screenshots of the new tools:

"
Looks great, can't wait for it to go into effect.
#11 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

the "mods online" will be great for new users.

#12 Posted by ajr123 (214 posts) -

I'm excited. I think that this redesign will help draw alot of new users to the site.

#13 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

Interesting....I love the idea!

#14 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

Great idea and great looking implementation dudes! This might motivate me to blog a bit more :P

#15 Posted by MB (12258 posts) -
Endogene said:
"the "mods online" will be great for new users."

I think that is an existing staff-only feature related to the current community flagging tool in place - I see that MOD (x) thing right now.
#16 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

That's a pretty niffty idea, me likey. Keep up the good work!

#17 Posted by Discorsi (1390 posts) -

an hour down? BOOOO teh site suxxxx..... jk

good to know ;d

#18 Posted by serbsta (1867 posts) -

Looking very sweet, cant wait to see this in effect.

#19 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -

Prepare for the Giant Bomb to be temporarily diffused.

#20 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

doesnt sound that bad of a downtime.

#21 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

Great idea. It's so easy to overlook some of the great blogs out there, this will be really helpful.

#22 Posted by Ubergeist (416 posts) -

Wow this is a really good feature.

#23 Posted by Snail (8594 posts) -

Plain awesome dude! Thanks!

#24 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I dont know man, We have enough problems with a few users writing blog posts then writing a one line post on the forums pointing to said blog, just seems like we'll get even more users saying hey! look at my blog.
Thanks for all the work but thats just my opinion on the matter.

#25 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"I dont know man, We have enough problems with a few users writing blog posts then writing a one line post on the forums pointing to said blog, just seems like we'll get even more users saying hey! look at my blog.
Thanks for all the work but thats just my opinion on the matter."
But having the ability to turn off seeing blogs in the forums pretty much solves that problem, right?
#26 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"I dont know man, We have enough problems with a few users writing blog posts then writing a one line post on the forums pointing to said blog, just seems like we'll get even more users saying hey! look at my blog.
Thanks for all the work but thats just my opinion on the matter."
Each user now has Forum Preferences to hide "Blog Topics" from displaying in their forum view.
#27 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

This is awesome! Giantbomb continues to be the most technologically advanced forums on the web! Now if only we had more users....

#28 Posted by Artie (690 posts) -

Is this why image uploading is absolutely broken right now?

#29 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -
Willy105 said:
"This is awesome! Giantbomb continues to be the most technologically advanced forums on the web! Now if only we had more users...."
22,000 users don't statisfy you?

Oh and nice one coonce, keep the updates comin'
#30 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Sweet, cant wait!

#31 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
SuperMooseman said:
"AaronBelfast said:
"Willy105 said:
"This is awesome! Giantbomb continues to be the most technologically advanced forums on the web! Now if only we had more users...."

Oh and nice one coonce, keep the updates comin'"
Perhaps Willy means active users."
Yeah.

We could use more activity around here. Instead of waiting minutes for a reply, we can have one in a couple of seconds, if not less.
#32 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Willy105 said:

Well, there aren't 22,000 active users. More users (that are active), can be a good thing.
#33 Edited by Snail (8594 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Willy105 said:

I disagree with more users, the community is fine as it is.
#34 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -
Karmum said:
"AaronBelfast said:
"Willy105 said:

Well, there aren't 22,000 active users. More users (that are active), can be a good thing."
It can also be a bad thing, depending on who the users are. Hopefully we'll attract good users who we can have decent discussions with, and not trolls who are going to be a nuisance.
#35 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -
MattyFTM said:
"Karmum said:
"AaronBelfast said:
"Willy105 said:

Well, there aren't 22,000 active users. More users (that are active), can be a good thing."
It can also be a bad thing, depending on who the users are. Hopefully we'll attract good users who we can have decent discussions with, and not trolls who are going to be a nuisance."
Yeah. But hopefully we can get rid of them easily if it happens.
#36 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

Not being an expert on world time zone conversion, I'm not 100% sure, but shouldn't this be done by now? Why the delay?

#37 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -
UPDATE
The new forum code is still being tested on our staging server right now and will most likely be rolled out this evening. Expect the downtime that was scheduled for last night to occur tonight. Just a heads up for everyone.

I will drop another post as this gets closer. Thanks.

-coonce
#38 Posted by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

*grips edge of desk*