New game's out, but which console do I get it for?

Unwritten Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Unwritten Duck

This is a discussion for those of us who own more than one gaming platform. I myself own a PS3 and an Xbox 360, so I can have access to some system exclusive games, such as Halo for 360 and Heavy Rain for PS3, but what about those games that are available on multiple platforms? When you have to choose which system you will get a new game for what factors do consider? How do you make your decision?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

If there is a huge difference between the two platforms, I'll go with the one that's getting the better reviews (for example bayonetta). 

If the reviews are saying they're the same on both platforms though I'll usually buy it for my PS3. I like Dualshock 3 better, and the PS3 doesn't make a ton of noise like my 360 does.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zithe

I own every current generation platform outside of the PSP. I usually get the PC version if it's not a shitty port from the consoles. If that's not an option, I usually spring for the 360 version because I like the controller. I think the only cross-platform games I've played on my PS3 are Batman:AA (it came with my PS3) and FFXIII. My Wii and DS are for exclusives only.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

RTS, FPS, or game with bitchin graphics: PC
Multiplatform with no real differences: Formerly PS3, but mine is stuck defiantely on 3.15 firmware, so 360 now.

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By WJist

I end up caring more about achievements than I do trophies, so unless a game runs better on PS3, I spring for the 360 edition. Multiplayer games I only buy on 360 because that's where all my friends are who play them (although I will admit that I found a surprising amount of people still playing Uncharted 2 multiplayer, well after "bigger" games came out).

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By benpack

When I get my PS3, I'll probably use it for exclusives for a while because most of my friends have 360s.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Japanese games: PS3 generally speaking, but not invariantly (because it is their leading console most of the time), or whether the PS3 has special editions or extra DLC. Western games: 360, prefer the controller for shooters and action games, also it's the one my friends own. Probably just 360 in general because I've had it longer.
PC: RPGs and shooters where I'm not under the recommended specs: would never play Bethesda's or Valve's games on console according to preference.
Wii: I prefer motion controls for sports and adventure games, generally speaking. The console doesn't overlap much with the others though.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#8  Edited By citizenkane

I preferably get multplatform games on the Xbox 360 for the Achievements and online play.  I have my PS3 for exclusive titles and Blu-Ray.

Unwritten Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Unwritten Duck

I've seen a pretty wide range of responses and how I end up deciding myself is pretty much a mixture of them all. I really like achievements more than I do Trophies, so I get the majority of my games for Xbox. Any kind of shooter 1st or 3rd person, is more than likely going to go to my Xbox. I feel the controller is more suited for that. Action/Adventure games and some RPG's end up going to the PS3, but I use it more for renting movies, blu-ray, and of course exclusive titles. 

Right now my biggest dilemma is choosing which system to get Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for. I have a real friend who want's to play with me, but he only owns a PS3. Only reason for me to get the Xbox version is that I figure more people would be online to play it.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Mrskidders

Whichever I get sent in the post is the version I play.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MysteriousBob

That apostrophe... 

Anyway. Usually the 360 version is your best bet. Every time I hear fundamental issues between the platforms, its usually the PS3 that suffers.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By animateria

Serious Online? 360. 

Otherwise depends on if one console got the better version or whatever.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

i usually get it for the ps3 since it most likely will have multiplayer. i use my xbox 360 for single player games.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By crusader8463

I refuse to submit to the microsoft scam and pay to play games online, so I always buy games for my PC. I got a ps3 a few days ago so if it's a console exclusive it will be for ps3. The 360 has never had an exclusive worth owning as far as I'm concerned so ya...

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pezen

I have the PS3 mainly for it's exclusives and/or where it sounds like a way better version. My main console is the 360, for a variety of reasons. But overall a really odd reason is that I loath the XMB on PS3, just feels so.. uninviting. And could not care less about trophies.

null_subject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By null_subject

I own a PS3, and an Xbox360.

I prefer the PS3 by a long shot. I think it's exclusives are some of the best games out there, and I prefer the controller and the interface to that of the 360. However, when it comes down to multi-platform games, I almost always get the Xbox360 version. As much as I have a general dislike for the 360, 9 times out of then, I find that multi-platform games run, and look better on it.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By sjosz

Typically 360 because I prefer that gamepad over the dualshock.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM
@unwritten_duck:
I guess it depends, sometimes I like getting certain games on two different systems. Not at once, but over time. It always depends. Like Call of Duty, mainly 360. Dead Space 2, I'll be getting that on PS3 since I played Dead Space on the PS3 originally and the overall experince on my PS3 sufficed. So I'll say it again, it always depends on certain things. If it's multiplatform, it's never going to be Wii.  

I tend to re-get games on PC a lot that I already had on some other system. I'm really not sure which system I want to get Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood on though. I hear all of them are better on the 360 graphically, but I have the prequels on PS3. So, I think I'll still get it on PS3. I remember buying Batman Arkham Asylum before reviews came out and I somewhat regretted getting it on 360 since there was free content on PS3. But overall I guess I didn't care in the end.
Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Andheez

For online shooters its almost always 360.  I find the Xbox controller FAR more comfortable than the dualshock.  Other than that mostly it depends on if there are any differences between the games. 
@Pezen said:

" I have the PS3 mainly for it's exclusives and/or where it sounds like a way better version. My main console is the 360, for a variety of reasons. But overall a really odd reason is that I loath the XMB on PS3, just feels so.. uninviting. And could not care less about trophies. "

Agreed.

Though I did buy Fallout New Vegas for my PC and I can tell that was EASILY the best move.  Though it still ahs crashed 10+ times.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous
PC always if it's available.

@MysteriousBob said:
" That apostrophe..."
Are you talking about the apostrophe in the thread title? He's abbreviating 'game is.' It's completely correct.