• 56 results
Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: New Gen - Will You Go All-Digital? (85 votes)

Yes. 26%
No. 46%
Depends on Size. 16%
Other/Fencesitter/Show Results. 12%

Word got out that Killzone Shadowfall will be a whopping 50 GBs large. That's over one tenth of the PS4's HDD space. Looks like the new much higher resolution textures are going to make true next gen games flippin' massive in size. Is that an issue for you?

PSN got a lot faster in recent times. Yesterday, I've downloaded a 600 MB patch in the time it took me to pour a cup of coffee, and get a cookie from the kitchen. Bandwidth isn't really an issue anymore for me, now that things are working out on Sony's side of things as well. Especially with the possibility of pre-loading games and initiate downloads from mobiles on-the-go, as well as downloading during stand-by state overnight.

But hot damn. 50 GBs is a lot of HDD space and a lot of download volume. Luckily there aren't any volume caps around my parts, but that's far from true for a lot of other places. Even without cap, I'd rather not deal with 50+ GB downloads, especially when I only have slightly less than 500 GBs of HDD space total per default in my launch day PS4.

I was totally pondering buying all my games on an all-digital basis, because I much prefer the digital library format over cramming shelves with boxes, but this is kinda throwing me for a loop. If 50+ GBs is the new average, I might not opt to go all-digital. I guess I'll continue to get big games the oldfashioned way.

How about you?

#1 Posted by believer258 (12106 posts) -

I'm fine with digital on PC because that's just the way things are, but I like having cases on consoles. So unless PSN and XBL drag me in with some really, really good deals, then I'm going to stick with having a nice shelf full of perfectly taken-care of games.

#2 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2587 posts) -

Yeah, although I have an unlimited data cap, waiting for 50gigs to download is pretty much the opposite of what I want to do with my time when the next gen systems come out. It'll be mitigated by preloading and downloading in the background/etc, but still.

I can see myself keeping PS+ games on the HDD, but physical copies of everything else.

#3 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I'm fine with digital on PC because that's just the way things are, but I like having cases on consoles. So unless PSN and XBL drag me in with some really, really good deals, then I'm going to stick with having a nice shelf full of perfectly taken-care of games.

If PS+ deals/PSN sales are any indication, ditital sales will be hard to resist. The Summer sales were almost Steam-good. Not quite yet, but it's getting there.

#4 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

If digital is cheaper and simpler than discs then I may go digital.

#5 Posted by DystopiaX (5352 posts) -

nah I like discs. Plus that file size is ridiculous. Hell, I'm running out of space on my 1TB drive on my PC, 50gb seems large there as well.

#6 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (317 posts) -

I'm 100% on board for an all-digital future. In fact, I'm currently going all-digital on my consoles right now. Sure, it's got a ways to go on consoles, but I find myself enjoying the convenience of simply downloading and playing. (please keep in mind that I live in an area with huge broadband penetration.)

#7 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

I'll go with digital as much as I can, but in the end, prices, download sizes and convenience will all play a hand in my individual decisions between digital and physical purchases.

#8 Posted by Mijati (948 posts) -

As long as the prices are comparable. At the moment there's absolutely no reason to get games on PSN/XBL instead of ordering online as they just cost so much more. Such as £35.00 for GTA V compared to £50.00 on PSN.

#9 Edited by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

I have been doing physical for single player games and digital for multiplayer games on my Wii U and plan to continue doing that there. On PS4 I will probably go all digital.

#10 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@dystopiax said:

nah I like discs. Plus that file size is ridiculous. Hell, I'm running out of space on my 1TB drive on my PC, 50gb seems large there as well.

Wonder how big the install will be for the disc version. Must be at least 20-30 GBs thereof, assuming BluRay's still have a 30 GB storage capacity.

#11 Edited by Giganteus (194 posts) -

No, not entirely. I would like to go all-digital, but if Killzone: Shadow Fall is an actual good indication, I won't even dare to try downloading some of them.

#12 Edited by Kidavenger (3610 posts) -

It's all about the price, if it's cheaper to go digital, that's where I'm going, when you consider the time/gas/wear on your car and the fact that most digital purchases don't have sales tax, it's pretty hard to beat digital even now.

I'm actually kind of disappointed that Beyond: Two Souls doesn't look like it's getting a digital release at all; and why has Asura's Wrath never been released digitally, you can't even get it in the store around here anymore.

#13 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

All digital. I have the terabyte external waiting for me once the internal fills up. And if I have to buy like an official external HD, its whatever. We'll see.

• Fast-app switching
  • No GameStop life
  • No scratched discs
  • Digital Resale
  • Mobile Purchasing to Console
  • Pre-loading

And there's still stuff we haven't thought of for Year Two and Three for these consoles. We're just getting started.

#14 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

No. I do it on PC, and it's fine, but I like to re-sell my games on consoles.

#15 Posted by WJist (314 posts) -

Depends on size. I love grabbing digital games on PS3 off of PSN or PS+, but because of the ridiculously slow download process and their requirement that you need 2x the actual size of the file free on your hard drive, I am constantly running out of room on my 120 GB Slim. I don't want to have to think about memory cards in my all-digital future or playing digital Tetris with my hard drives.

I'd also like to point out that bandwidth is not the same around the world, or even in the US. I get faster download speeds on my Vita and 3DS at work than I do at home, which are in the same city :(

#16 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

I usually buy my games digitally for ps3, but if games are going to be that big then fuck that. I rather just go to a store and get it at retail.

#17 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

I'm going physical for retail games because I'm currently capped at 250 GB and I am already all digital with my PC library.

#18 Posted by mosdl (3243 posts) -

They would have to get the preload situation better (faster speeds and enough time to preload) first.

#19 Posted by BigJeffrey (5149 posts) -

Really don't want to wait for all them Gbs.

#20 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@klei said:

No. I do it on PC, and it's fine, but I like to re-sell my games on consoles.

You monster! *j/k - kind of*

#21 Posted by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

Absolutely. Fuck sales taxes!

#22 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I'll probably go 50/50.

It may sound silly but i really like having my collection of 360 games sitting on my shelf. I enjoy looking over at it. But digital games are pretty damn convenient, i have a few digital games on my 360 and for the most part other than xbox interface stuff it's been a good experience. (redownloading a game you bought earlier but deleted to make room is a massive hassle)

Lately i've been ordering all my games from amazon so they show up release day anyhow. Digital games are great for when they have a sale or something not for new releases.

#23 Posted by Marokai (3115 posts) -

I mentioned as much in another thread a few minutes ago that mysteriously disappeared, but I genuinely don't even think the convenience argument is the slam-dunk it used to be. It super depends on your circumstances. For me, downloading and storing games, the file sizes of which will only grow dramatically bigger as time goes on due to all of the big players now using bluray format discs, is not particularly convenient in comparison to just buying a disc. Especially not so in the long-term.

For me, the case for going digital has to beat how games are sold and used physically. They have to be cheaper, dramatically more convenient in the short and long term, have a sense of ownership and portability, and be easily stored en masse. For me, this is not the case. I'm not willing to invest in multiple terabyte drives to ensure I don't have to redownload things, and if those drives fail or get lost, it would be a total nightmare. Moreover, there's multiple places that sell games within 20 minutes of where I've lived my entire life in any which direction.

It's like arguing that a free to play game should be designed to be easily played and enjoyed without ever making you feel like you have a to buy anything. That's missing the point. This isn't meant to be more convenient for you, this is meant to be more convenient for them. It's meant to lower the barrier of impulse buy entry as low as possible so they hook you into a digital ecosystem where they control the experience.

For anyone that has easy means to get physical copies of games nearby, or doesn't have excessively high internet speeds, I don't see why anyone with any sense of impulse control would go all-digital. The overall convenience just doesn't add up, to me. I'm trading away my full portability, ownership, and 95% likelihood to find the game cheaper in an actual store (online or brick and mortar) in exchange for being able to buy the game at whatever hour I like and not have to change discs. Not having to drive or walk to a store doesn't save me much when I have to download games with obscene file sizes. Added to that, I have dozens of Xbox 360 games, that I can pull off my shelf, pop in, and play without any kind of wait. On a hard drive, I'm limited by file size and storage space; and if I have to go out and buy external storage to prevent multiple redownloads, you've immediately lost the "it's so convenient and cheap!" argument.

Last week on the Bombcast, Vinny mentioned how his kid wanted to watch him play a game with cars in it, so he had to scramble to find a game to play to keep Max entertained. Imagine every person in the world now having to conform to download limitations. That sense of immediate play, of just pulling a game off the shelf and popping it in, is lost completely, at least with how games are distributed digitally at the moment. Granted; we can create dream scenarios for how these "instant play" and background-downloading features will work seamlessly and flawlessly. But we don't have any experience with these things yet on a large scale.

It's easy for me to see how the appeal of the "digital future" is strong for people who only play a few games here and there (which is, unfortunately in this case, most consumers) and when games right now aren't so big in file size. Especially so when most downloadable games have a certain small, indie, scope and scale. But imagining a situation, with present storage space limits and internet infrastructure, where I have to download all games I ever want to play, sounds like it solves about two or three minor problems and creates a hundred more.

(ALSO OMG I'M SORRY FOR RAMBLING THAT LONG, GOOD LORD)

#24 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Doubtful, unless I suddenly get a not-shit internet connection.

#25 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

It take me an hour to download 1 gig on a good day. The day we go all digital is the day the videogame industry goes out of bussiness.

#26 Edited by RioStarwind (575 posts) -

I don't really see the point of going all digital till it becomes the norm. If we start seeing deals on games like most digital platforms do these days then I'll start having a larger digital only collection. Having PSplus has certainly made my digital psn game list a lot larger than it would be otherwise.

#27 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

No.

Digital on PC is alright because - A) I know I can make a backup, B) I know there is a crack out there somewhere if the DRM goes apeshit on my system, C) due to the openness of the platform I get moding in exchange for the DRM restrictions, D) Better digital prices because their is more than 1 digital storefront, E) backward compatibility through stable architecture and coding interfaces/APIs, or worst case, emulation.

All of these advantages vanish with console all-digital schemes. It's a shitty deal. They need to try harder and come back with something that isn't so one-sided.

#28 Posted by JayEH (538 posts) -

I'll most likely do a mix between the two. If on a friday night I want something new to play I'll download or when sales roll by.

#29 Edited by Spoonman671 (4752 posts) -

I plan on it. Hopefully PS4/Xbox have an easy-to-manage library similar to Steam. I should be able to see all the games I have access to, and which ones are currently installed. If this is the case, I won't have a problem simply deleting games I don't play very often. If that's not the case, then hopefully the process of upgrading the HDD is really easy.

#30 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I plan on it. Hopefully PS4/Xbox have an easy-to-manage library similar to Steam. I should be able to see all the games I have access to, and which ones are currently installed. If this is the case, I won't have a problem simply deleting games I don't play very often. If that's not the case, then hopefully the process of upgrading the HDD is really easy.

Absolutely. I expect it to be handled that way, anything less would be folly. Still - 50+ GBs? That's a lot of traffic, and circumstances might change. If I lack a good connection, such filesizes quickly become prohibitive.

#31 Edited by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

All depends on how the prices are. If the digital prices still are more expensive than the disc based counterparts i'm going with the disc.

#32 Posted by Flappy (2332 posts) -

Physical media hype! I might download the occasional game or two, but I'm not downloading 50gbs on a regular basis.

#33 Posted by crusader8463 (14427 posts) -

Until consoles can guarantee me that they are not going to expect me to throw out my library of games every 4-5 years when the next iteration of the closed off platform comes out I won't be buying anything digital. Since that's never going to happen the answer is a no.

#34 Posted by Spoonman671 (4752 posts) -

@seppli said:

@spoonman671 said:

Absolutely. I expect it to be handled that way, anything less would be folly. Still - 50+ GBs? That's a lot of traffic, and circumstances might change. If I lack a good connection, such filesizes quickly become prohibitive.

Network traffic isn't an issue for me, personally. Still, I can see how bandwidth caps, or just slow/unreliable connections could definitely render a digital-only lifestyle untenable.

I expect the Playstation 4's ability to download during gameplay and while in sleep mode to go a long towards enabling my disc-free desires. Being able to download portions of games, and begin playing before downloads are finished will help also. Even though it will still take me hours to download Killzone, I don't have any issue with doing so overnight. I used to do it regularly through Steam before I changed ISPs.

#35 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1662 posts) -

I barely feel okay with paying the same amount for digital games, but I'm not going to pay more. I've been playing a lot of older games recently, and in almost every case, I found a copy for cheaper through Amazon than I would have paid for a digital copy through PSN. This stuff may improve as console makers and publishers feel less pressure from retailers, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I pre-ordered a copy of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 for the same price as it would have been on PSN, and it came with an art book. I may not really care about the art book, but just out of principle, why would I pay the same for less?

I don't trade in games, so this has nothing to do with consumer rights or anything, and I've got enough bandwidth that file sizes aren't a concern. I prefer digital all things being equal, but not if it's a worse deal. I'm not going to limit myself to paying more for digital copies based on some arbitrary self-imposed policy.

#36 Edited by awesomeusername (4231 posts) -

Planned on going all digital but man, 50GB is a lot. I'm not sure what to do now. Dammit.

#37 Posted by Spoonman671 (4752 posts) -

Until consoles can guarantee me that they are not going to expect me to throw out my library of games every 4-5 years when the next iteration of the closed off platform comes out I won't be buying anything digital. Since that's never going to happen the answer is a no.

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Are you talking about backwards compatibility? If so, I don't understand how buying digitally differs from buying physical. You can't put PS3 disc in a PS4 and expect it to play. Is that even what you're talking about or am I being dumb?

#38 Posted by crusader8463 (14427 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Are you talking about backwards compatibility? If so, I don't understand how buying digitally differs from buying physical. You can't put PS3 disc in a PS4 and expect it to play. Is that even what you're talking about or am I being dumb?

Yes and no. What I'm getting at is that as long as I have my PS3 I will always be able to take a game off the shelf and put it into my PS3 and play it. If I had that same collection as all digital games, I would only be able to play them as long as Sony was willing to keep the servers online to let me download the games. You really think they are going to keep those servers around for very long when they are trying to manage and run servers for all the next gen stuff too? At some point they will do the math and it will make more "sense" money wise to cut off all the last gen servers and then everyone is shit out of luck.

It wouldn't be so bad if those systems came with hard drives big enough to hold all of those games, but at best you can fit maybe 5-10 games on them and then the rest you will never get to play. Compare that to my PC where I have over 100 games currently installed on Steam ranging from just released stuff to games that are 20+ years old that I can install and play at the press of a finger and still have lots of room to install more.

Consoles have a very long way to go to match that kind of service, and until they do I'm not interested.

#39 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -

In my case no because I have a bandwidth threshold that I CAN go over but if I do its $3 per GB overage that mixed with slow internet (1.5 Mbps down 512 kbps up) and large downloads it will be a while before I could even think about going all digital.

#40 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

No, because I have a bandwidth cap and buying/installing a disc is far faster than downloading a huge file.

#41 Posted by Dalai (7058 posts) -

The all-digital format really only works best for PC users since you can just slap in another hard drive and never worry about losing space. For console owners it's not really an option because you're dependent on the system's limitations. So for consoles, I'll buy discs if they come on disc. For PCs, I've been mostly all-digital for years now.

#42 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (456 posts) -

Hell yeah I am! Fuck disks(discs?)! I completely understand why some people would go with retail copies(bandwidth caps, low download speeds, etc.), but I'm so ready to get rid of all this worthless physical nonsense that's taking up space.

#43 Edited by ChrisTaran (1667 posts) -

No. Much like this gen, I will only buy digital that which can only be bought digitally. The one exception being things like Steam sales, where the price is so low, that it doesn't bother me.

Also, I love having a physical game collection.

#44 Posted by EXTomar (4922 posts) -

The last physical PC game I have received was WoW Mists of Pandaria and only for the physical goodies.

#45 Edited by Jay_Ray (1118 posts) -

If Sony or Microsoft make it easier for me to find games I've purchased to re-download them then I may buy more digital versions

#46 Posted by spraynardtatum (3526 posts) -

I'm not sure it's a good idea just yet. I'm for sure getting the first few games on disc.

#47 Edited by VaddixBell (270 posts) -

This is a straight up no simply because I have absolutely no faith in Sony or Microsoft to have their online stores to be competitive.

I see them selling games for £59.99, then announcing a 50% off sale with the price being £29.99. However, if I look at retail their normal price is something in the region of £20-25. It's consistent for the both of them. If they want to have any hope of this transition to a (largely) digital future for games, they'll need to compete with retail and make their stores feel like a consistently update service. I know it's a publisher thing, so if I see Publisher X selling Game Y for £59.99 on PSN and then complain about the 2nd hand market, I just know for certain there's very dumb people within the company.

For PC, definitely. Valve definitely haven't become complacent in regards to sales and making their store feeling organic and constantly updated. And, with PC there's always the fact that digital distribution can come from many different sources so you have competition in the market (something that won't happen with Sony and Microsoft)

#48 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6401 posts) -

I like discs.

#49 Posted by Hunter5024 (5912 posts) -

I trade games with friends all the time and will continue to buy discs so I can do so. Also if I don't intend to play a game again, I sell it to my local used game store. As most of the major game publishers would have you believe, I am killing the industry.

#50 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11458 posts) -

Nope. I'll still be sticking with discs as my primary game delivery method, but I'm locked in with PlayStation Plus for the foreseeable future (by which I mean like August of next year), so I'll be downloading stuff. Can't wait to spend an entire day downloading that gimped PlayStation Plus version of Drive Club (okay, gimped is harsh, I still don't know how much isn't in that version).

And even if PSN is ultra fast on PS4, and I upgrade to the even faster high speed internet, it'll still be faster to go to the local KMart, buy a game, and drive back to my house.