New Gen - Will You Go All-Digital?

• 55 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll New Gen - Will You Go All-Digital? (85 votes)

Yes. 26%
No. 46%
Depends on Size. 16%
Other/Fencesitter/Show Results. 12%

Word got out that Killzone Shadowfall will be a whopping 50 GBs large. That's over one tenth of the PS4's HDD space. Looks like the new much higher resolution textures are going to make true next gen games flippin' massive in size. Is that an issue for you?

PSN got a lot faster in recent times. Yesterday, I've downloaded a 600 MB patch in the time it took me to pour a cup of coffee, and get a cookie from the kitchen. Bandwidth isn't really an issue anymore for me, now that things are working out on Sony's side of things as well. Especially with the possibility of pre-loading games and initiate downloads from mobiles on-the-go, as well as downloading during stand-by state overnight.

But hot damn. 50 GBs is a lot of HDD space and a lot of download volume. Luckily there aren't any volume caps around my parts, but that's far from true for a lot of other places. Even without cap, I'd rather not deal with 50+ GB downloads, especially when I only have slightly less than 500 GBs of HDD space total per default in my launch day PS4.

I was totally pondering buying all my games on an all-digital basis, because I much prefer the digital library format over cramming shelves with boxes, but this is kinda throwing me for a loop. If 50+ GBs is the new average, I might not opt to go all-digital. I guess I'll continue to get big games the oldfashioned way.

How about you?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Physical copies most of the time. I'll bite on some digital versions if there's a good enough sale.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

No, no, and hell no. I always prefer physical.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I probably will because I feel it's probably better for the environment to have less paper and plastic in circulation.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

No.

a) Data cap.

b) Even absent cap, download speeds being what they are in Australia, I could go to a store, buy a game, come home and start playing in a fraction of the time it would take to download something of the sizes mentioned in here.

c) Cost. Stuff on the Australian PSN store, at least in the present, isn't any cheaper and is inexplicably often more expensive than buying a physical copy.

d) I like owning some things that I can hold in my hand

There's simply no advantage for me.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Excluding Madden 25, which I did not get for the game inside it, the last physical copy of a game that I bought was...Mass Effect 3? So yeah.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

No for a bunch of reasons. I like having physical copies and it takes an age to download games even using Steam. I feel like I'm going to end up buying physical copies of Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed even for the PC. I downloaded Sleeping Dogs last year and it took close to three days to finish. I'm also fond of most online retailers here breaking street dates... I will never get digital games before release.