#51 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

Totally rocking the white homepage now. Looks gooood.

#52 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

Gunna sticky this as the official feedback thread :D

#53 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -

Also, the constant pleading for memberships is disgusting. 

#54 Posted by KarlPilkington (2710 posts) -
@HandsomeDevil said:
We need to get rid of the video up and front. Totally stupid to occupy so much space with one video. 
The whole point of it is having a video at the front.
#55 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

It's good. Damn good.  

Love the fact that the width is dynamic. 
More space for people with larger resolutions!

#56 Edited by Enigma777 (6070 posts) -

Just switched to the white theme and it's a hell of a lot better. There's still too much wasted space (especially horrizontally) but it's an improvement.  

Edit: But now all my Forums look jacked-up. -______-

#57 Posted by Chuck_ (205 posts) -

I like just about all of the new homepage.  I hope when they redesign the video player they add an option to expand the video to the proper resolution (like the one on Youtube), so I can watch 720p HD video on my 2560x1440 monitor without sacrificing quality going fullscreen or having to mouse zoom the whole page. 

#58 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
I really don't like it. Way too much blank space and everything feels like it's just floating there. I need some grids or lines or something dammit!   It wouldn't be as bad if the video player was larger...
I disagree, the grid lines around each section on everyone except the homepage looks bad now
#59 Posted by august (3833 posts) -

It is awesome.

#60 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

Amazing. Should work great during E3 with the new publishing tools they have.

#61 Posted by rpratts (76 posts) -

Guy the avatars are missing in the review pages  and the theatre (HTML5) option on the front page go to tested.com site...

#62 Posted by Toxin066 (3271 posts) -

Dude, this redesign looks snazzy. The first word that popped into my head was crisp.

#63 Posted by Evilsbane (4582 posts) -

Sexy.

#64 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -
@Chabbs0 said:
@HandsomeDevil said:
We need to get rid of the video up and front. Totally stupid to occupy so much space with one video. 
The whole point of it is having a video at the front.
Well then the whole point of it is stupid. 
#65 Posted by whatisdelicious (1211 posts) -
@HandsomeDevil said:
You're getting that too? I just assumed I was seeing that because I'm a monthly, not a yearly. Only non-members should see that. I'm already a paying customer. What more do you want from me?
#66 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

The redesign is super nice aside from the fact that OH MY GOD THE TEXT IS SO GIGANTIC.  Seriously guys, small text is just fine.  I don't need to feel like I'm reading the site in 800 x 600 on my 16x10 monitor.

#67 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

The homepage is good, but I think the font size should be smaller.

#68 Posted by Enigma777 (6070 posts) -
@Dany said:
@Enigma777 said:
I really don't like it. Way too much blank space and everything feels like it's just floating there. I need some grids or lines or something dammit!   It wouldn't be as bad if the video player was larger...
I disagree, the grid lines around each section on everyone except the homepage looks bad now
You're not allowed to disagree. 
#69 Posted by cjmhockey (244 posts) -

Love the new look.

#70 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@whatisdelicious said:
@HandsomeDevil said:
You're getting that too? I just assumed I was seeing that because I'm a monthly, not a yearly. Only non-members should see that. I'm already a paying customer. What more do you want from me?
Yeah, from the live stream, only non-members were supposed to get those. Looks like another bug.
#71 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -
@whatisdelicious said:
@HandsomeDevil said:
Yeah, it's extra stupid that I'm a member. But, how many users don't know about the membership program? Most non-members are so because they either don't have the funds or don't think it's worth it. Honestly I can't blame them.
#72 Edited by Sweep (8837 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

I really don't like it. Way too much blank space and everything feels like it's just floating there. I need some grids or lines or something dammit! It wouldn't be as bad if the video player was larger...

This is my only real issue as I love the update's aesthetic. Everything looks sleek as fuck, it's just too spread out. This is especially apparent if you try zooming out in your browser (Ctrl -). It's also compounded by the chunky oversized fonts. I like the way the fonts look, they are just too big.

Here's an example I just threw together drawing attention to all the empty space:

And a very rough example of how reducing these gaps could make the site much more streamlined and concise:

Which is vastly preferable, personally.

#73 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@Enigma777 said:

I really don't like it. Way too much blank space and everything feels like it's just floating there. I need some grids or lines or something dammit! It wouldn't be as bad if the video player was larger...

This is my only real issue as I love the updates aesthetic. Everything looks sleek as fuck, it's just too spread out. This is especially apparent if you try zooming out in your browser (Ctrl -). It's also compounded by the chunky oversized fonts. I like the way the fonts look, they are just too big.

Here's an example I just threw together drawing attention to all the empty space:

And a very rough example of how reducing these gaps could make the site much more streamlined and concise:

Which is vastly preferable, personally.

That looks a billion times better. 
@General_D23 said:
@whatisdelicious said:
@HandsomeDevil said:
Yeah, from the live stream, only non-members were supposed to get those. Looks like another bug.
Doesn't make it any less gross.
#74 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -
@Sweep: I like the way you think, Sweep.
#75 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Little problem on smaller screens with the longer membership ad text:  

#76 Posted by whatisdelicious (1211 posts) -

So here's my problem with the video on the front page. I don't mind that it's that big (though I do mind all the blank space above and below the video). What I do mind is that... I've already watched the Dirt 3 Quick Look. So now, every time I go to the Giant Bomb homepage, I have to scroll on past that Quick Look to get to stuff that might actually be new.  

Having a video on the front page is cool, but it'd be cooler if it was collapsable, so that once I've seen it, I can just collapse it and not worry about it. Or maybe make it a random video from the last couple days every time I load the page.  There are solutions to this problem.

#77 Posted by Ithryn (84 posts) -

hmm, I think I found something interesting. Don't know if it's right.   And pls don't kill me.

I THINK if you use the random video, it gives you WM Happy hours.  You know, the ones that are not free.
Maybe it just gave me a free one and I didn't realise.

#78 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -

Bring back the followed members blog updates, now I have to click like 3 times to check if there is anything new instead of pressing F5

#79 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I like how minimalistic it is.

#80 Posted by Enigma777 (6070 posts) -
@Sweep: Yes, that looks a lot better. One other thing is that the description font needs to be a bit bigger/bolder since it's kinda hard to read.
#81 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

When are they going to re-do this awful forum?  There are SO many better forum formats.  I'd love something more Penny Arcade-esque.  

#82 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -
@HandsomeDevil said:
@General_D23 said:
@whatisdelicious said:
@HandsomeDevil said:
Did you ever think that maybe it's not just for members, but also for the people who don't have accounts?
#83 Posted by Zabant (1236 posts) -
@Sweep: Now someone of repute has come out and said it. Yeah, it is too spread out. Not having a scroll wheel on a laptop means there's much less stuff on the screen when i first load the page up and I have to go over to the scrollbar or hit pgup which I hate. I can see it being much better with a big ass monitor while using a desktop and mouse though
#84 Posted by Brendan (7734 posts) -

MEN!!!!!!!!!!!

#85 Posted by KarlPilkington (2710 posts) -

Everything seems so wide, I preferred the slimmer "river" with empty space on the left side.

#86 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

Can we switch it back to the old design? great design and all i guess.. i just prefer the other one.

#87 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3056 posts) -
@Valkyr said:
Bring back the followed members blog updates, now I have to click like 3 times to check if there is anything new instead of pressing F5
This.  I want my window of status and blog updates, because that was how I knew what was going on.  The Friends stream is cool, but it's a little chaotic.
#88 Edited by librariangmr (179 posts) -

Wowzers! Nice front page design! Elegant!

#89 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
@HandsomeDevil said:
@General_D23 said:
@whatisdelicious said:
@HandsomeDevil said:
Did you ever think that maybe it's not just for members, but also for the people who don't have accounts?
Again, people who don't have accounts probably know you can make an account. This is a site on the internet after all.
#90 Posted by JoeyRavn (4962 posts) -

I really like the new design, though I'd love it if I could somehow hide the video in the main page. Being able to watch QLs directly on the main page is awesome, but most of the time I come to GB to browse the forums or read news. The video is just cluttering the top part of the page, forcing me to scroll (a lot if I have the news section with full text after the images) to the bottom to see what's new in the forums.

Besides  that, loving the redesign. It'll take some time to get used to it, but I will, no doubt about it.

#91 Posted by t2t2 (151 posts) -

It's really annoying me that when you hover over news stories (headline view) the cursor changes to hand, but if you click anywhere else other than the title (or comments), nothing happens, even through cursor implies that it's a link (I realise it's a css thing (and really, no need to put cursor: hand in the :hover), but still annoying)

#92 Posted by Zecks23 (151 posts) -

On the white page links after being highlighted once with the mouse pointer turn white and are unreadable unless you hover over the link again. Also I'm a paid subscriber and it asks me to join at the top of this page but on the homepage it says I'm subscribed.  

Overall though I really enjoy the new look. Great job! 

#93 Edited by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -
@Make_Me_Mad said:

@Valkyr said:

This.  I want my window of status and blog updates, because that was how I knew what was going on.  The Friends stream is cool, but it's a little chaotic.
Agreed.  It's nice in theory but not really practical if you follow a lot of people.  I'd much rather have followed blogs in the sidebar than the community stuff, honestly. 

@HandsomeDevil said: 
@iAmJohn said: 
@HandsomeDevil said: 
@General_D23 said: 
@whatisdelicious said: 
@HandsomeDevil said: 
Again, people who don't have accounts probably know you can make an account. This is a site on the internet after all.
Yes, but it's a little thing called promotion, perhaps you've heard of it?  If you're selling premium memberships, you kind of want to let people know that these premium memberships are out there and push it on them, and this is a pretty inoffensive way to do it considering it ends up being an unobtrusive, easily-missable line of in-joke-laden text at the top of the page. 
#94 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad said:

@Valkyr said:
This. I want my window of status and blog updates, because that was how I knew what was going on. The Friends stream is cool, but it's a little chaotic.

They have already noted that the stream is currently of everyone, which is a bug: it should just be your friends. They have also said that they are still working on having some kind of blog section on the homepage, but that's still in the works.

#95 Posted by Allison (264 posts) -

It reminds me of Hulu and blip.tv.

Except without a lot of the functionality and borders. What is with web 3.0's hate of borders. :(

#96 Posted by Yorick (235 posts) -

I don't like the new homepage. Everything is too large and you have to scroll a lot. I liked the original where you could see everything at once.
#97 Posted by TurboMan (7500 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
I really like the new design, though I'd love it if I could somehow hide the video in the main page. Being able to watch QLs directly on the main page is awesome, but most of the time I come to GB to browse the forums or read news. The video is just cluttering the top part of the page, forcing me to scroll (a lot if I have the news section with full text after the images) to the bottom to see what's new in the forums.  Besides  that, loving the redesign. It'll take some time to get used to it, but I will, no doubt about it.
I kind of second this... I think the huge video on the front of the page is a little too much... I'd rather hide it and go to the video page when I'm good and ready.
#98 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

To be perfectly honest, I don't like the redesign at all. 
 I loved the Giantbomb homepage because of how simple and uncluttered it would look. It feels a bit too flashy and squeezed now.

#99 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@Aishan said:

- I don't like the loss of the Latest Updates section. I used it to keep track of the staff and only a select few users. If one person makes, for example, a lot of twitter posts, I'll miss out on blog or other status updates from other people too.

This is my biggest problem with the new look.  I don't like the forum and followed user feed sharing the same spot.  Especially now since it's broken and showing updates for everyone on the site. 

@whatisdelicious said:

I like it a lot, but two things bother me:  1) The new font for text body. It's harder to read. Definitely not an improvement. Font smoothing only looks good until you actually want to read the text.

@HandsomeDevil said:

Text is WAY too big. Switching two grid view helps some. But even though the design is fine: 100% unnecessary.  

This is my second problem.  The font is harder to read and just a bit too big.  Some of this might be fixed by simply making the background just a little darker (using the black/gray scheme) and/or removing the smoothing.

@whatisdelicious said:

2) It could be a little tighter vertically. Like there's a little too much space between the live show and the little arrows that control the pages of highlight boxes.

My third and last problem with it.  There's just so much white/gray space.  Maybe tighten the top video area up a bit, and (to kill two birds with one stone) maybe move the followed user feed to the space under the featured community content area.

Other than these three things, I'm OK with what they've done.
#100 Posted by megalowho (963 posts) -
@Sweep: That looks much nicer on the eyes. 

Everything looks super sharp overall, great work. Loving the random button on the front page, what a great idea.