#151 Edited by MarkHawk (70 posts) -

I don't post here often... but when I do it's to complement art. 

Great job on the new layout. It's a huge step forward. Oddly gets me excited to see what you guys have in store for us next.

#152 Edited by skelington_ (292 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Hm, strange. I can definitely see a difference. I'm on a 13" MacBook with a 1280x800 resolution running Safari. Oh well, not much i can do about it i don't think - thanks for letting me know it isn't a universal thing though.  

EDIT: Ah okay it's more forum posts, comments and subtitles for things. i can see the main page now and it looks fine, if a little big on the font size. I think the 1pt. smaller standard font they use or whatever it is for posts etc. makes the letters a little blurred. i would zoom in but then everything becomes MASSIVE ha ha. 
#153 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

The site is beautiful. 
*Golf clap*

#154 Edited by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Oh, and the website seems to be too wide for the iPad so the top bars sorta stack upon each other and throw everything off alignment. It is not pretty... The white theme also gives me a grey box in the middle of the latest stories.

#155 Posted by FinalDasa (1494 posts) -

Looks amazing, the Top men strike again. As an avid wiki editor over on Screened I'm really interested in the wiki update, cannot happen soon enough.

#156 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

It's interesting to say the least.  Different.

#157 Posted by Sin4profit (2907 posts) -
@alexisg: are you going to bring back friend's updates? it's missing.
#158 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

@alexisg said:

So in case you guys want to know what things will look like once the Coming Up section is filled in, it will look more like this.

Personally I really don't want to tighten things too excessively. Items need some breathing space! That being said things are getting massaged over the next few days. Thanks for the feedback and support.

It doesn't look too bad with the filled out "Coming up on Giant Bomb" section, but there's still a lot of empty grey space which just makes the site look really loose, notably between the video and the video title at the top. I agree that stuff needs room to breathe, and I love the minimalist design, but when you have a grey background like this the result of spacing stuff out the way it currently is is that the grey can be overwhelming. I know this doesn't really apply to the white-site, but you get my point :D

Dave mentioned that some stuff was being done to promote blogs on the frontpage as the static "Community blogs" box has disappeared, any info you can share about that?

#159 Posted by whatisdelicious (1195 posts) -
@alexisg: That does take care of all the extra space to the right of the video. Though tightening things up a bit is probably still for the best. Not everybody has huge monitors and it's nice to get as much onscreen at once as possible. 

The redesign really does look nice though. I wouldn't spend any time at all critiquing it if I didn't love this site.
#160 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@skelington_ said:
@LordAndrew: Hm, strange. I can definitely see a difference. I'm on a 13" MacBook with a 1280x800 resolution running Safari. Oh well, not much i can do about it i don't think - thanks for letting me know it isn't a universal thing though. 
Well, I can't guarantee. Maybe they're forcing a font that I don't have installed. I'm running from an Ubuntu Live CD with only free software installed, so I probably don't have the font in question.
#161 Posted by AuthenticM (3699 posts) -

Oh my god, Giant Bomb is now the slickest and most beautiful game website on the Internet. I love it!! Great job Whiskey engineers!!!

#162 Posted by Vigil80 (432 posts) -

During the live stream, Dave mentioned that watching a video would send it to the back of the line, as it were, so you would be more likely to see videos you hadn't paid attention to yet. Is that also true for downloading videos?

I watch every video, but rarely on the site itself. I prefer to send them to my TV.

#163 Posted by DancingJesus (68 posts) -
@Sin4profit@Sin4profit said:
Yeah, that's the one thing I really miss. Other than that, I'm super happy with the change. :D
#164 Posted by skyline7284 (503 posts) -

I like parts of the redesign, other parts not so much.  My main issue is the way the content just looks thrown up onto the background, as if there are no set places for the content to be, it all just blends together.  My other issue is that other areas of the site (and other whiskey sites) could have used the redesign more than the GB homepage.  I mean tested is still just a blog with forums, and the GB game pages are at points a mess to navigate.

#165 Posted by nikemike99 (57 posts) -

Nice job everyone!  Looks great, thanks for all the hard work!
#166 Posted by ScreamingFist (362 posts) -

Looks great! Good job GB crew XD

#167 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

I am not the biggest fan of change, but the new design on the front page is pure win. Great job, all of the hard-working Whiskey Media staffers who made this possible! xD

#168 Posted by Brackynews (4045 posts) -
@StriderNo9 said:
How do I get it in white????
Count backwards from infinity, slowly. It'll happen before you reach undecillion. ;)
#169 Posted by Hoffafiles (285 posts) -

I'm glad I got to see the redesign, even though it's a reminder of  
all of the awesomeness I'll be missing for the next year :( 

I wish you all the best!

#170 Posted by B0nd07 (1697 posts) -
@DancingJesus said:
Yeah, that's the one thing I really miss. Other than that, I'm super happy with the change. :D
They're not missing; they're currently sharing the same space as the forum post section.  To view it you have to click "Friends' Stream", which is currently broken and showing updates by everyone on the site.
#171 Posted by Doubt (329 posts) -

I agree that there is a lot of empty space in the home page but only when a review is the promo but when there's a video up there it looks sexy. 

Also white is right.

#172 Posted by Osaladin (2514 posts) -

Freaking GiantBomb, stop wowing me!

#173 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: I also hate change, I do miss the old design but this looks fucking great!
#174 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -

I don't know why, but the mess of gradients on the promo area bug me. I can clearly see why each one is there, but all together it just looks a little messy to me. 

Also, going forward, you should probably impose a character limit on the video promos so they don't cut off the comment count. Granted, that's probably the way it is because, as Dave said on the livestream, all the current video promos were copied straight from their actual descriptions.

#175 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

It's real busy. I like it though.

#176 Posted by Roger778 (953 posts) -

It looks amazing.   

I was pleasantly surprised when I logged on, so keep up the good work, guys.
#177 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

The banner for the Bombcast is no longer there. Season 4 logo perhaps?

#178 Posted by vidiots (85 posts) -

I love it!

#179 Posted by karatetron (690 posts) -

It looks pretty fucking ace.

#180 Posted by AngryRedPlumber (214 posts) -

Love it!

#181 Posted by fuzzybunny566 (448 posts) -

wow....TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

#182 Posted by MechaKirby (187 posts) -

I like it a lot. Are there going to be any layout changes to the rest of the site? Or just the homepage?

#183 Posted by wightboy (10 posts) -

Responsive design; I like it! 

#184 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -
@Zero_: Actually, Jeff talked about it on the stream today.  The new art's done; they're just waiting for the new theme music.
#185 Posted by PrioritySeven (322 posts) -

Excellent job, love the redesign.

#186 Posted by Sin4profit (2907 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
@DancingJesus said:
@Sin4profit said:
They're not missing; they're currently sharing the same space as the forum post section.  To view it you have to click "Friends' Stream", which is currently broken and showing updates by everyone on the site.
Is that what that's suppose to be then...i thought it was just the "activity feed". Guess i'll see how that goes when they fix it. Though, while they're splitting that space into different functions they need to include the ability to switch between favorited forum post updates and general (or all) forum post updates.
#187 Posted by michaelfossbakk (236 posts) -

First words out of my mouth were "whoa". Fantastic job! ;)

#188 Edited by DancingJesus (68 posts) -

Another thing that slightly urks me is color uniformity: 

Other than the comments bubble there is no other place on the site that utilizes the color blue: 

I think a simple change to the gold, red or black would really create a full gestalt for the entirety of the page.    

Again the site looks ace though!

http://i.imgur.com/VzDXz.jpg

#189 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

Oh, and the website seems to be too wide for the iPad so the top bars sorta stack upon each other and throw everything off alignment. It is not pretty... The white theme also gives me a grey box in the middle of the latest stories.

You have a weird extension installed. Prolly something that replaces Flash video with HTML video. That's why this is happening to you.

#190 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

I really like it, too.

#191 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

I welcome the spaces. For too long websites still feel like they are built for 1024x764 screens. While that might be a necessary thing, this new spaced out redesign looks amazing on huge monitors. 

Invest in monitor real estate people. 

#192 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

Not sure if anyone brought this up yet, but I just noticed a weird bug that causes a user's avatar to go blank every time I highlight a thread they've posted in the Site Activity bar.

#193 Posted by Nocall (353 posts) -

Attention Gawker media. 

THIS is how you do a redesign.

Take notes.

#194 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3173 posts) -
@alternate said:
Is the "latest tweets/updates" and blogs from ppl you follow gone?  I liked those.
Yeah, I used that. 
#195 Posted by DancingJesus (68 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
@DancingJesus said:
Excellent! I didn't even notice that, so much new stuff. :D 

Thanks for pointing that out.
#196 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@Dan_CiTi said:

@alternate said:
Is the "latest tweets/updates" and blogs from ppl you follow gone? I liked those.
Yeah, I used that.

The friend's feed is currently misreporting. We'll get that fixed.

#197 Posted by B0nd07 (1697 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
Not sure if anyone brought this up yet, but I just noticed a weird bug that causes a user's avatar to go blank every time I highlight a thread they've posted in the Site Activity bar.
Yes, I brought that up over in the bug thread.
#198 Posted by PhilDanger (9 posts) -

The fonts are completely messed up for me in Firefox and they are barely readable in Chrome. How do I fix this?

#199 Posted by 014 (347 posts) -

Looks nice.

#200 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3173 posts) -
@snide: Oh okay, thanks for all the great hard work Dave & Co.!