#201 Posted by Enigma777 (6076 posts) -
@snide

@Enigma777 said:

Oh, and the website seems to be too wide for the iPad so the top bars sorta stack upon each other and throw everything off alignment. It is not pretty... The white theme also gives me a grey box in the middle of the latest stories.

You have a weird extension installed. Prolly something that replaces Flash video with HTML video. That's why this is happening to you.

No, I'm pretty sure this is the vanilla Safari browser. At least I haven't installed anything to it. I'm not even sure you can...

You're probably right that it's HTML since the iPad doesn't support flash, but the site worked almost flawlessly on it before (aside from some comment/text input box issues) and now it's acting pretty weird. The stacking even happens on reviews/articles.
#202 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

This is amazing!

#203 Edited by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

This looks real slick! Good job Alexis, Dave and anyone else involved!

#204 Posted by DancingJesus (68 posts) -

For some reason, my browser is not lining up the headers properly. I don't have adblock or anything like that installed as an extension...  Hmm
#205 Posted by Raakill (870 posts) -

Great work sirs.

#206 Posted by artofwar420 (6294 posts) -

It's too good! Take it down a notch!

#207 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -

@Enigma777: We'll look into it and make sure iPad stuff still works.

#208 Posted by Roundlay (119 posts) -

Fantastic work—very spesh!

#209 Posted by Soapy86 (2632 posts) -

New design is sleek as fuck. I love it. I even switched over to white, which  I used to hate. 

#210 Edited by Vitor (2823 posts) -

Beautiful. Just beautiful. 

However, is mousing over the the featured articles/videos under the Dirt 3 quicklook meant to turn them into white blocks with black text? Doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the redesign in terms of style. 

Also, the text for Motorstorm and Bioshock Infinite doesn't entirely fit in those boxes and gets cut off so I can't see the comment icon.

#211 Posted by Cathryn (549 posts) -

I never thought I'd switch to white, but the white scheme looks amazing.  Nice job, guys!

#212 Posted by Ghoulbus (4 posts) -

That's one snazzy lookin site, now. Mad props for all the hard work.

#213 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

The list of items on "Coming up on Giant Bomb" seems to have been assembled with reckless abandon. From top to bottom, the table lists content being posted on the 27th, 25th, and then 26th. 

Also, when I mouse over forum threads in the activity feed, the user's avatar disappears (Chrome 11).

#214 Posted by Adziboy (702 posts) -

How do I get the white design? There used to be a little switch button.

#215 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Digging this! 
1.) Love the upcoming events on the front page, hopefully it will stop the "when is (Add event here)" threads
2.)Miss the tweets though, Jeff and Ryan usually do streams outside of GB.

#216 Posted by Enigma777 (6076 posts) -
@snide said:

@Enigma777: We'll look into it and make sure iPad stuff still works.

Great. Thanks for all the hard work!
#217 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

I'm not liking the new design too much, I much preferred the previous one.

#218 Posted by Silverbrand (101 posts) -

OHGODWHATISHAPPENINGIAMNOTGOODWITHCOMPUTERS!

#219 Posted by Vitor (2823 posts) -

Really not sure about the 'Streaming/Progessive' and quality settings design on the videos. Stands out a bit too much - sort of preferred the old buttons. The new metallic ones look like they're pasted on top of the video player, not a part of it.

#220 Posted by Sweep (8921 posts) -

@PhilDanger said:

The fonts are completely messed up for me in Firefox and they are barely readable in Chrome. How do I fix this?

You have to get to the marker!

#221 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Awesome just wish there was a smaller text scale option. Not a big deal.

#222 Posted by 24Carrot (66 posts) -

sexy new video player, sexy new font, sexy new homepage, but still, it's change, so I'll hate for a week before I can't live without. it looks sexy. did i mention sexy?

#223 Edited by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Looks fantastic! And that's coming from someone who really hates change.

My one gripe is the disappearance of status updates and a blog feed. I get that the friend feed replaces them, and perhaps I can't make this call since the thing isn't fully working properly yet, but it seems like it would be real easy to miss updates/blogs. To me, those are the second most important things on the site. Settings to choose what displays so I can cut out forum jabber/image uploads and slow down the feed would fix this.  

I also really like the videos right on the main page, but it'd be nice if I could get rid of it when I don't need it. Collapse it down into a little ticker that shows what is brand new so I'm aware of it, then expand it when I want to watch something! I dunno, that may be impossible, but you guys seem to work some kind of magic. 

Ed: Looking back in this thread I see that the blog feed is still in the works, but status updates? Either way, settings for the friend feed would still be appreciated.

#224 Posted by DeadMonkeys (827 posts) -

Keep the old Streaming/Progressive and Low/High/HD buttons. 
The new grey buttons are harder to read and clash with the color scheme of the video window.

#225 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

I have to zoom back on Chrome which makes everything OVER 9000x BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#226 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Loving the new look! 

#227 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

The footer is freaking out on me.

#228 Edited by Sgtpierceface (630 posts) -

I'm not sure if I should mention this here but, if you go on to another WM site and click on the links on the bottom for GiantBomb, it just reloads the page.

This is not a problem for any other sites. I'm on FF4.

#229 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:

I have to zoom back on Chrome which makes everything OVER 9000x BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to do the same in Firefox.  Full size is starting to hurt my eyes.  Honestly, I could deal with some of the white space if the font just wasn't so big.
#230 Posted by yakov456 (1917 posts) -

I like it.

#231 Posted by artofwar420 (6294 posts) -

CAPS REQUIRED: I FUCKING LOVE THE NEW DESIGN. 

#232 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -
Definitely <3 it!
#233 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

Smooth as eggs.

#234 Posted by McDunkin (320 posts) -

New frontpage is awesome!!!

#235 Posted by PresidentOfJellybeans (305 posts) -

I admit, i was worried.  I was thinkin you guys might go all Kotaku over here.  But it looks great!  Fantastic job guys!

#236 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@PhilDanger said:

The fonts are completely messed up for me in Firefox and they are barely readable in Chrome. How do I fix this?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
#237 Edited by Jumanji (447 posts) -

RANDOM IMPRESSIONS FOLLOW

-I find the top bar cluttered.  I'd like to see 
 NEWS - CURRENT GAMES -  VIDEO - BOMBCAST - REVIEWS -  WIKI - FORUMS

- I think embedding the player on the front page is a misstep. You're giving up way too much real estate. The "playing next" field is completely redundant and does not belong anywhere near the front page. The "Coming Up On Giant Bomb" field is equally asinine, in that it only highlights the dearth of live content. I would scrap the player, move the marquee carousel up, add a bit more text to the thumbs (date of publication is a start) and restrict the marquee to original video content only.
     -> that said, there is a need for "Coming Up On Giantbomb". The schedules for live content are telegraphed very poorly right now, and it's a bother trying to find that stuff when you've missed it. 
     ->similarly, there is a need for a more robust "playing next" function. Maybe daily playlists of OC? Weekly playlists of QLs? A "playing next" finder that seeks out OC that your user account hasn't viewed yet, subject to user filters?

-"Featured Games" is looking a lot better. I like the itemized list of all the site-related content associated with the game. However,  I would not "feature" a game that didn't have GB-produced original multimedia content. 
    -> I like the itemized list so much that I would like to see it applied universally. Any content related to a particular game should feature that game's little list prominently, in a separate visual tier. The "New Games" (or "Current Games") thumb roll should be augmented with the sweet little lists, too.

-Keep trailers and promo material off the front page, unless it's buttressed with analysis or pre/post trailer audiovisual commentary.  

-I like the principle of the community highlight stuff, but a lot of that material is old. 

-Getting rid of the staff feeds is a mistake. Giant Bomb  is personality driven. 
    -> that said, if you bring back staff feeds, they should be aggressively pared down. I don't care if Ethan took the biggest dump of his life or Matt Bodega stubbed his toe. Make them specific to the particular site's staff.

CONCLUSION

You guys are having some problems coming up with a universal syntax for the site. Why does the Bioshock Infinite marquee have a "Dig Deeper" field with four separate options, while the Quick Look: Dirt 3 marquee doesn't?

#238 Posted by Trillian (40 posts) -

Gotta say the new homepage is looking really sleek and sexy.  Having the featured games on the side bar showing rating and links to quick looks and trailers is something I really like and find very useful.
Great job Whiskey Media.

#239 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -
@Sweep said:

@PhilDanger said:

Yeah, for real. What the hell is going on there? 

I'm really liking this redesign. Will take some getting used to but that's expected. Great job Whiskey Media designers and engineers!
#240 Posted by rwcohn (130 posts) -

I'd appreciate non-American dates, I can't deal with this month-first nonsense.

#241 Edited by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Awesome job duders. Glad to see a slick redesign that doesn't mess with the way I used to navigate the site, like other places always seem to do. This seems to only help streamline info. 

It's also fantastic seeing a (tentative?) schedule for quicklooks and stuff on the side bar. Though I don't know how that'll affect the "first" quest.

EDIT: Only suggestions:
Why not show the times of videos before you hit play? It's a minor inconvenience, but it'll help plan out the order you watch videos in or if you have enough time for a Quicklook, all in a glance. 
Why not show all four other Whiskey sites at the bottom?

#242 Posted by Bigbombomb (677 posts) -

The new homepage is great! Great job Top Men! 
The only problem I have is that the text on the front page looks a bit big.

#243 Posted by Paliv (137 posts) -

Fantastic job on the redesign.  Now lets see gamespot and IGN bite that shit!

#244 Edited by Donos (1195 posts) -

This redesign feels a bit clumsy to me. There's a bunch of space between everything now, so i can't just load up the main page and take a quick glance at what's going on. I'd zoom out to condense everything into more useful form, but with the mix of small and large text some things end up illegible.

TLDR: Empty space is bad, and now there's more empty space.

#245 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

Damn, I like the homepage. How long until this makes it's way to the other sites?

#246 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2564 posts) -

Loving the new design - especially the Coming Soon part. Epic. Cant say enough about that.

#247 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I really really like the new Design, I also like how it shows when videos are going up, no more wondering if something's going up today or not. 
#248 Posted by HadesTimes (811 posts) -

My GOD!! The site looks INCREDIBLE!

#249 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -

i like the look of it, but how do i see the people im following? i liked when i could see the little box with their latest blogs and such, but i dont see that no more :(

#250 Posted by VirtuaXav (450 posts) -

The homepage looks really good. 

Just one thing about the "Coming Up on Giant Bomb" section. It's a really good idea, but it'd be good if they were in chronological order. 

Also, I'm not sure if this is possible, but could the events in that section show up with corresponding times/dates for your local time zone? I'm not sure if there's a way to do that, but it'd be awesome if it were possible. If anyone can do it, Whiskey Media's top men can!