#1 Edited by Pie (6935 posts) -
#2 Posted by Benny (1937 posts) -

Oh shit, a JRPG with that much style and the lead from Far Cry 3 is something I'll definitely be keeping tabs on. Hopefully with the lead being from such a wildly different genre there'll be some innovation there.

#3 Edited by probablytuna (3443 posts) -

A Western-Japanese RPG? Anyways, this sounds rather cool, I'm always down for more RPGs.

#4 Edited by altairre (997 posts) -

Looks and sounds interesting. Will definetely keep an eye on this one.

#5 Edited by oldenglishC (858 posts) -

This is a great idea. If you get the itch now to play an old school style JRPG your only choices are to play something that you've already played, or try to sift through the endless void of RPG maker games. A game made in that style, with an engine capable of such pretty visuals, by a team with a track record of good games, has the potential to be really good.

(Apropos of nothing, Phantasy star IV is better than FF 6.)

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (34603 posts) -

No, FF6 is the better game. Phantasy Star 4 is just the best Phantasy Star game.

On topic, everything about this sounds awesome.

#7 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

Liked the glimpses of it. I usually like just about anything from UBI's artists. They're great. Can't wait to see more of it.

#8 Posted by oldenglishC (858 posts) -

@oldenglishc said:

No, FF6 is the better game. Phantasy Star 4 is just the best Phantasy Star game.

On topic, everything about this sounds awesome.

You might have the PTSD from Sonic Adventures 2. (Who wouldn't? We're people, not machines.) So I'll just write that huge misstep in judgement off as a side effect of your trauma.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (34603 posts) -

@oldenglishc:

I've held that opinion long before Sonic Adventure 2. Also, I played that game in March or something, so your logic still doesn't hold.

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -

I'm not going to lie, I would be a lot more interested if you wrote "new JRPG using Far Cry 3 engine from Rayman creative lead"

#11 Posted by oldenglishC (858 posts) -

@video_game_king: YOUR OPINION IS WRONG!

But I did just finish up Maken X, that I picked up because of your blog, and had a good time with it. So this time, I can let it slide.

#12 Posted by Pie (6935 posts) -

I wonder what the gameplay will be like. I can't imagine it will be like the traditional FF stuff. Maybe it's just some 2D exploration

#13 Edited by Zeik (2111 posts) -

The idea of a western designed JRPG definitely isn't new, but it's still not very common.

I'm curious what using "the rayman engine" is actually going to mean for this game.

#14 Posted by Hunter5024 (5172 posts) -

Is the lead of Far Cry 3 the crazy guy who was upset about people not understanding the story? If not, this is potentially pretty exciting. I'm glad to see that people are returning to the genre, this whole last generation was a wasteland for that stuff.

#15 Posted by Pie (6935 posts) -
#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4443 posts) -

It sounds pretty cool. I'm sure it will look visually amazing.

#17 Edited by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

Rayman Legends looks absolutely stunning, a full JRPG is sure to knock it out of the park when it comes to graphics.

#18 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2143 posts) -

That is a really odd combo.

I want.

#19 Posted by Abendlaender (2597 posts) -

Hmmm...this sounds really interesting. I would like to see a "j"RPG from a french company.

#20 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

So he is making an RPG with unnecessary grinding and melodramatic nonsense for the plot?

I'm in!

#21 Posted by Aetheldod (3338 posts) -

:D color me interested

#22 Edited by McGhee (6091 posts) -

Yeah, I'll play that.

#23 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1270 posts) -

A Western-Japanese RPG? Anyways, this sounds rather cool, I'm always down for more RPGs.

Well if Japan can make Western RPGs (Dark/Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma), why can't the west make a JRPG?

#24 Edited by masterpaperlink (1823 posts) -

Ubisoft, release UbiArt Framework already

#25 Posted by probablytuna (3443 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: I'm not saying they can't, it's just weird picturing the words "Western-Japanese Role-Playing Game". Then again, they didn't actually say that.

#26 Posted by Jeust (10339 posts) -

Co-op? No thanks!

#27 Posted by Svenzon (699 posts) -

I'm interested. Far Cry 3 was a really well-designed game and the art looks nice. Co-op could be interesting too.

#28 Edited by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

Anachronox and Septerra Core were "western JRPGs" and kind of sloppy but they have their fans. The distinction isnt being turn based, plenty of western games are turn based. Plenty of Japanese made RPGs arent turn based. Regions of the world dont hold ownership over playstyle, the genre distinction only exists because JRPG and WRPG fans are weird and possessive. We dont make a distinction between western shooters and russian shooters because by and large the distinctions are thematic not mechanical. At this point, if you call Final Fantasy 12 and Dragon Age games in completely different genres, you're just being arbitrary. Cus they're mechanically almost identical.

But I can always do for more old fashioned style RPGs. Radiant Historia scratched the itch last year, I wouldnt expect this specific team to do something like this but hey why not, if you grew up loving a certain kind of game why wouldnt you continue the tradition? Cus you weren't born on the right side of the world? Its goofy.

#29 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

that sounds exciting, the rayman engine is beautiful and far cry 3 had some interesting core concepts.

#30 Edited by Veektarius (4147 posts) -

We need more party-based RPGs these days, regardless of who makes them.

#31 Posted by Fredchuckdave (4479 posts) -

A JRPG that's made by western developers is not a JRPG, should be fine though. First half of FFVI is the best first half of any RPG ever, second half not so much.

#32 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

An Ubisoft downloadable game, inspired by SNES-era games, with very stylized hand-drawn art, that has a somewhat pretentious air about it?

It worked awesome the first time.

#33 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: isn't it?

JRPGs are JRPGs because of mechanics, not because they are made by Japanese people... I know J stands for Japan, but really, JRPG is the genre. So I don't think it matters where a JRPG is made, so long as it follows the style of a JRPG?

The only thing that maybe could be missing is anime-looking characters, but it's not like all JRPGs look the same either.

#34 Edited by Fredchuckdave (4479 posts) -

@geraltitude: It's just an RPG, there's plenty of RPGs that have Japanese originated ideas. Almost every platformer is directly inspired by something Japanese, you don't call them JPlatformers.

#35 Posted by Pie (6935 posts) -

Alright you bunch of fools I just called it a JRPG because you can't fit many characters into the Giant Bomb titles. Just calm down. It doesn't matter. I was going to put "in the style of a JRPG" or "inspired by various JRPGs" (what the guy making the game said) but I thought "eh it doesn't really matter, people on GB won't kick up a fuss about something so silly, they'll just be appreciative that I have pointed something out to them that sounds interesting that might fall under the radar"

#36 Edited by Aterons (198 posts) -

99% of Japanese games ( or JRPG inspired games) that contain a female protagonist have too much "plot" in them for me to take them seriously and not fell like I am playing something that is written by a pedophile/rapist or both. I guess I'll still give it a try when it comes out and after 15 minutes decide I never want to play it again.

#37 Posted by Pie (6935 posts) -

@aterons said:

99% of Japanese games ( or JRPG inspired games) that contain a female protagonist have too much "plot" in them for me to take them seriously and not fell like I am playing something that is written by a pedophile/rapist or both. I guess I'll still give it a try when it comes out and after 15 minutes decide I never want to play it again.

See this here is the type of conversation I looked forward to producing.

#38 Edited by Seppli (9740 posts) -

I'm hearing all the right things. I am excited for it. I hope Square-Enix is paying close attention to this project, because it seems to do what I want them to do with Final Fantasy. Away from the CG Anime Plastic Doll look, to a painterly direct translation of concept art. Away from overbearing overlong incoherent psychobabble VOs and cutscenes back to mostly written dialog, that doesn't do a disservice to the game's pacing. For me the franchise peaked with FF VI, when it still felt more like a grand and fantastic adventure, and not like some girly and emo soap opera.

#39 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -
#40 Posted by believer258 (11043 posts) -

An Ubisoft downloadable game, inspired by SNES-era games, with very stylized hand-drawn art, that has a somewhat pretentious air about it?

Not enough people played Outland.

A JRPG that's made by western developers is not a JRPG, should be fine though. First half of FFVI is the best first half of any RPG ever, second half not so much.

I can see where you're coming from, but designating genre by region isn't all that smart. Dark Souls is far more akin to a Western game in many respects, from art to customizable characters and even names sound Western, but it was made in Japan.

Both types of games are RPG's, but they're so different in concept and execution that they need different names. JRPG and WRPG are fine ways to denote their countries of origin, but the genres don't have to be tied to those countries. Especially considering how much Wizardry, a Western game, influenced JRPG's like Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei, essentially making many JRPG's an offshoot of a Western game in the first place.

In short, a JRPG is a game often involving a set linear narrative with a pre-defined protagonist(s), and WRPG's tend to involve a more open-ended narrative and world with user-defined blank-slate character(s).

#41 Posted by GreggD (4443 posts) -

Three great tastes that taste gr-WHAT THE FUCK ODD COMBINATIONS AHOY

#42 Edited by Fredchuckdave (4479 posts) -

@believer258: Dark Souls is very Japanese for any number of reasons and can only be so thanks to being made by Japanese developers, a lot of those things are positive (difficulty, no hand holding, weird online interaction system, not shitty DLC) and some of them are negative (fanservice {note Demon's Souls doesn't have fanservice} and *gasp* framerate issues).

There are also just a shitload of western RPGs that meet your description of "JRPG" but don't follow any of the standard JRPG traditions.

As far as terminology goes something like "Old School" is far more accurate than just "JRPG."

#43 Posted by believer258 (11043 posts) -

@believer258: Dark Souls is very Japanese for any number of reasons and can only be so thanks to being made by Japanese developers, a lot of those things are positive (difficulty, no hand holding, weird online interaction system, not shitty DLC) and some of them are negative (fanservice {note Demon's Souls doesn't have fanservice} and *gasp* framerate issues).

There are also just a shitload of western RPGs that meet your description of "JRPG" but don't follow any of the standard JRPG traditions.

As far as terminology goes something like "Old School" is far more accurate than just "JRPG."

But those are not qualities exclusive to Japanese games.

Anyway, my point was that someone in the West can make a traditional JRPG despite not being Japanese. It's a genre denoted by its country of origin, which is quite weird. We wouldn't describe the epic as Mesopotamian or the novel as Spanish, so I don't see why a JRPG has to be Japanese. it just has to be in the tradition of something that grew and was defined in Japan.

#44 Edited by Fredchuckdave (4479 posts) -

@believer258: Difficulty is almost exclusively Japanese or Indy; Indy is almost exclusively remaking old games that were Japanese in origin; for a new western high budget IP to be difficult is staggeringly rare; like virtually unheard of rare (Paradox games not quite at the high budget margin, also getting less and less difficult over time). Heroes of Might and Magic is the only series I can think of that's consistently challenging that wasn't made 12 years ago by Western developers and isn't directly inspired by something Japanese. Civilization is baby easy, new Simcity is baby easy. The Souls online interaction system is most definitely Japanese, the fact that everyone copies it doesn't make it less so. Tutorialization is extremely ubiquitous in both Western and Japanese games, however the absence of it is absurdly rare in Western games but not particularly in Japanese games, again hailing to the origins of games that you just sit down and play and get your ass kicked by. Framerate is mainly bitched about by Western twats, not Japanese ones; and thus more Japanese games have framerate issues than otherwise. Shitty DLC is common on both sides of the equation, however about 99% of DLC is garbage so having a game that doesn't have shitty DLC is miraculous and all things miraculous are Japanese. While misogyny is universal fan-service is not.

The first novel was produced in China.

#45 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

Not enough people played Outland.

@fredchuckdave said:

I can see where you're coming from, but designating genre by region isn't all that smart. Dark Souls is far more akin to a Western game in many respects, from art to customizable characters and even names sound Western, but it was made in Japan.

Both types of games are RPG's, but they're so different in concept and execution that they need different names. JRPG and WRPG are fine ways to denote their countries of origin, but the genres don't have to be tied to those countries. Especially considering how much Wizardry, a Western game, influenced JRPG's like Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei, essentially making many JRPG's an offshoot of a Western game in the first place.

In short, a JRPG is a game often involving a set linear narrative with a pre-defined protagonist(s), and WRPG's tend to involve a more open-ended narrative and world with user-defined blank-slate character(s).

No way. Dark Souls is as Japanese as a game gets.

The only way it could be more Japanese is if AKB48 kicked you in the dick every time you died.