#1 Edited by Hysteria_Flower (4 posts) -

@

I've always wanted to join one of these gaming sites but I was just too damn nervous. I'm giving it a shot now, though. Anyway, I thought I'd introduce myself and talk a little bit about the latest games I've played.

Well, okay; here is what I value most in a video game.

1. A Good Story. The story makes the game. It gives it shape and life. Without a good, or at least coherent story, your actions seem to lack purpose. I need to feel as though what I am doing means something. No mindless shooting for me. Not anymore anyway, now that I'm older. I'm, uh, 17 by the way. Is that weird to put? Oh, well.

2. Art Direction. Now, I don't require that my games have the best technical graphics. No. I just want a little creativity. It's important to me. It helps me to differentiate one game from another. Now I don't mean the games should necessarily use cel shaded graphics or anything like that. I think they should just succeed at what they attempt. Grand Theft Auto IV's Liberty City should feel gritty. If they can succeed in making it feel gritty, then I'm happy. Maybe I should lump this category in with atmosphere. I don't know.

3. Music. Nothing really deep hidden here. It just compliments the experience and makes it more meaningful. It can really help set the mood and establish the atmosphere. As atmosphere is important then, so is music.

4. Gameplay. This is number four because to me, it is not as important as the other three. The gameplay should at least be tolerable. It should never interfere with the story, slowing it down, or contradicting it in any way.

I, uh, like all kinds of games. Shooter, wrpg, jrpg, platformer, you know. I will say that to me, if an rpg is done properly it can easily be superior to all other game genres. They tend to tell better, though sometimes convoluted, stories and often feature passable gameplay. They usually stand out in the areas of art direction and music, too. I guess you could say I have a preference for rpgs. Still, I just don't play enough of them. They are just too long for me, but that is a different story. Okay. Now, uh, recent games.

1. Prince of Persia 2008. It was a good game. There is some really special art design here, that I don't think gets noticed often enough. You'll see people mention the likes of Okami more than this game, even though, I'm sure, Okami sold far less. The story is good, somewhat minimalistic. That's okay. Sometimes that's even nice. Music is also good, though the main theme does repeat a bit too much, and the whole thing is lacking in variety. Gameplay, to me, is wonderful. It's simple, well designed and animated beautifully. I'd give the game an 8 out 10.

2. Catherine. Great story, music, and design. This game was something else if you ask me. The story was that damn good. I mean, no other game has really touched on this kind of subject matter. In this game, you play as Vincent Brooks, who is seduced away from his girlfriend of five years by a succubus from the netherworld. You have great choice in selecting who you will end up with, and there are 8 different endings. The story.... wow. It does feature supernatural elements, like said. I'm not too fond of those. I think a game is better if it grounded in the real world, and is easily relatable. Another game on my list is an offender here, Deadly Premonition. But enough about this game. "Shit, kid, you haven't touched on the gameplay element yet." " Hey Harry you're right. I'll give it a shot." All I'll say is, the gameplay is insanely deep. Even if its not something you would normally play, give it a shot. That's all I can say. 9 out of 10. Oh yet, musics good. Look up, "Also Sprach Brooks."

3. Deadly Premonition. What an interesting game. It has everything I like,, with good but odd music, a great story with memorable characters, and great design. Gameplay is also passable, once you get used to it. I don't know old man. This is getting kind of long. I was going to talk about this, Enslaved Odyssey to the West, and maybe Blue Dragon. But I think I've written enough for now. If you want to learn about me, reply, and maybe I'll write some more. See you, space cowboy.

#2 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

Good intro post, you may wanna make it a blog post if you feel like doing something like this again later. Welcome to Giant Bomb.

#3 Edited by RedCricketChase (444 posts) -

Welcome to the community! :D

You seem pretty great, based on the 3 games you listed that you dig ( I drunkenly skimmed the super long intro post, sorry).

If you need advice or just a new fraaaaand, my text number is merp or my facebook is /merp. Woodrunk. You seriously seem like a really good fit for our little family, tho. Welcomes:]

#4 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1859 posts) -

@redcricketchase said:

Welcome to the community! :D

You seem pretty great, based on the 3 games you listed that you dig ( I drunkenly skimmed the super long intro post, sorry).

If you need advice or just a new fraaaaand, my text number is *redacted* or my facebook is *redacted*. Woodrunk. You seriously seem like a really good fit for our little family, tho. Welcomes:]

this was a mistake THIS WAS A MISTAKE DO NOT PUT THESE THINGS ON THE INTERNET

#5 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

@redcricketchase: Take your fucking number off this post. And maybe the Facebook too. You add him, take him to dinner, and awkwardly find his facebook.

#6 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

What's woodrunk? ~ Alright kid. Still. Make a blog post out of this, cuz this'll get lost to the world.

And for Gosh sake, get an avatar picture. Start with a shoe. People will ignore you, because they think you're a spammer.

#7 Edited by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

Welcome aboard comrade.

Also don't drink and post. ^

#8 Posted by SeanCoughing (271 posts) -

Welcome duder, i was also wondering what the hell " woodrunk" means? Maybe he meant "Woo, Drunk?"

#9 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1859 posts) -

Well, I forgot to say hello. I am still a bitch oops

Don't be me and not post for several years because you are afraid everybody is going to hate you for the things you like. If you have ideas or opinions, share them, because at least one person will find you interesting. Even if that person is completely fucking sloshed.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

@hysteria_flower: Welcome to the ol Giant Bomb! That's a good intro. Hope to see you around.

#11 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

<>

I like your thoughts stick around bud

#12 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

Sorry I forgot, Welcome!

#13 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

Yeah Catherine!

Catherine was amazing and Jeff is a big dumb poop head >:|

#14 Edited by Dalai (7057 posts) -

You played Deadly Premonition.

Yep, you belong here. Welcome.

#15 Edited by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Welcome to Giant Bomb! I think Deadly Premonition is garbage, but I totally respect people who disagree with me! :)

#17 Edited by Hysteria_Flower (4 posts) -

Thanks for all the posts. It seem like a lot of replies to what's just a stupid kid.

#18 Edited by TruthTellah (9428 posts) -

ha. Well, we're all just stupid kids of widely varying ages. And we're all here to enjoy and discuss videogames.

#19 Edited by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Prince of Persia 2008 is a pile of hot garbage.

Oh, and welcome to the site.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

@animasta said:

Yeah Catherine!

Catherine was amazing and Jeff is a big dumb poop head >:|

I'm not sure I could agree more.

#21 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'll try to forget about you liking Catherine(I think it's hot garbage) but welcome to the site! Stay awhile!

#22 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Welcome duder; and yeah, Catherine totally rocks.

#23 Posted by TangoUp (314 posts) -

Prince of Persia 2008 rocks. Why can't Ubisoft spare some change to develop a sequel?

#24 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

@hysteria_flower:

Don't worry you're going to fit right in!

Also stating your age out of the blue is sort of weird. Just a heads up.

#25 Posted by Askherserenity (119 posts) -

@mcghee: WTF that game was great! Not sure if trolling. What was bad about it? :[

#26 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@mcghee: WTF that game was great! Not sure if trolling. What was bad about it? :[

I am a long time fan of the PoP series and no I am not trolling. 2008 lacked interesting puzzles and interesting platforming. The fights were one-on-one paper-rock-scissors. While the graphics were great and at times the views were great, most often you were taking long treks out to collect blue orbs and there was nothing fun happening. Oh yeah, and you could never fail anything. A blind person could play that game. It had no challenge. It was terrible.

#27 Posted by Enigma777 (6084 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@askherserenity said:

I am a long time fan of the PoP series and no I am not trolling. 2008 lacked interesting puzzles and interesting platforming. The fights were one-on-one paper-rock-scissors. While the graphics were great and at times the views were great, most often you were taking long treks out to collect blue orbs and there was nothing fun happening. Oh yeah, and you could never fail anything. A blind person could play that game. It had no challenge. It was terrible.

As a fan of the PoP franchise since the original game, I loved PoP 2008. Really brought the franchise into an unexplored area and pretty much nailed it. The 1-on-1 combat was a breath of fresh air, and while, yes, the parkour was simplified, it was incredibly satisfying to pull off long chains without missing a beat. It had the same kind of draw that rhythm games have.

#28 Edited by Soapy86 (2638 posts) -

I don't at all agree with your "gameplay is the least important thing" bullshit, but welcome to the site.

#29 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@askherserenity said:

As a fan of the PoP franchise since the original game, I loved PoP 2008. Really brought the franchise into an unexplored area and pretty much nailed it. The 1-on-1 combat was a breath of fresh air, and while, yes, the parkour was simplified, it was incredibly satisfying to pull off long chains without missing a beat. It had the same kind of draw that rhythm games have.

Yeah, well I hate rhythm games too.

#31 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

2. Catherine.

Welcome to the community, you can now continue being awesome with my seal of approval!

#32 Posted by LiquidPrince (16124 posts) -

The first two games you posted, are in my top ten favorite games of all time, and Deadly Premonition will always have a place in my heart because of the Endurance Run. Welcome to the community.