• 80 results
#1 Edited by Demoskinos (15131 posts) -

So apparently there are "rumors" surfacing about a supposed new Nintendo console? This sounds entirely fake but there are very specific detailed specs here as follows:

“Before I go into the detail on the Softwear and OS features I overheard, I will like to do a upgraded recap on the specs of both machines. The codename is now “FUSION” and many the R&D want to keep that name for the main console release. The Handheld unit is called the “FUSION DS” while the home unit is called “FUSION TERMINAL.”

FUSION DS

CPU: ARMv8-A Cortex-A53 GPU: Custom Adreno 420-based AMD GPU

COM MEMORY: 3 GB LPDDR3 (2 GB Games, 1 GB OS)

>2 130 mm DVGA (960 x 640) Capacitive Touchscreen

>Slide Out Design with Custom Swivel Tilt Hinge

>Upper Screen made of Gorilla Glass, Comes with Magnetic Cover

>Low End Vibration for Gameplay and App Alerts

>2 Motorized Circle Pads for Haptic Feedback

>Thumbprint Security Scanner with Pulse Sensing Feedback

>2 1mp Stereoptic Cameras

>Multi-Array Microphone

>A, B, X, Y, D-Pad, L, R, 1, 2 Buttons

>3 Axis Tuning Fork Gyroscope, 3 Axis Accelerometer, Magnetometer

>NFC Reader

>3G Chip with GPS Location

>Bluetooth v4.0 BLE Command Node used to Interface with Bluetooth Devices such as Cell Phones, Tablets

>16 Gigabytes of Internal Flash Storage (Possible Future Unit With 32 Gigbytes)

>Nintendo 3DS Cart Slot

>SDHC “Holographic Enhanced” Card Slot up to 128 Gigabyte Limit

>Mini USB I/O

>3300 mAh Li-Ion battery

FUSION TERMINAL

GPGPU: Custom Radeon HD RX 200 GPU CODENAME LADY (2816 shaders @ 960 MHz, 4.60 TFLOP/s, Fillrates: 60.6 Gpixel/s, 170 Gtexel/s)

CPU: IBM 64-Bit Custom POWER 8-Based IBM 8-Core Processor CODENAME JUMPMAN (2.2 GHz, Shared 6 MB L4 cache)

Co-CPU: IBM PowerPC 750-based 1.24 GHz Tri-Core Co-Processor CODENAME HAMMER

MEMORY: 4 Gigabytes of Unified DDR4 SDRAM CODENAME KONG, 2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz (12.8 GB/s) On Die CODENAMED BARREL

>802.11 b/g/n Wireless

>Bluetooth v4.0 BLE

>2 USB 3.0

>1 Coaxial Cable Input

>1 CableCARD Slot

>4 Custom Stream-Interface Nodes up to 4 Wii U GamePads or 4 DSc

>Versions with Disk Drive play Wii U Optical Disk (4 Layers Maximum), FUSION Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) and Nintendo 3DS Card Slot.

>1 HDMI 2.0 1080p/4K Port

>Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound

>Inductive Charging Surface for up to 4 FUSION DS or IC-Wii Remote Plus Controllers

>Two versions: Disk Slot Version with 60 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage and Diskless Version with 300 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage.

“Nintendo has already begin making demo software for the targeted prototype hardware in efforts to curb the Wii U mistake in the software pipeline (they started creating software after prototyping and were unable to give major software push the first two years as a result). Nintendo plans to make most of the software prototypes into games and applications around the launch of the unit.”

I'm not sure where these rumors are coming from but I found the original article here: http://gaminrealm.com/2014/01/21/nintendo-next-gen-system-specs/

Would this even remotely make sense for Nintendo to launch yet another console even if the WiiU has been sort of a fumbled mess up until this point?

#2 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Well, this rumor, even if it is true, doesn't say anything about when this hardware would be released. But it isn't surprising that they'd be at work on new hardware now that the Wii U is shipped regardless of its sales, and they've likely been at work on a 3DS successor for a while now. Though I wouldn't go so far as to believe that this is true yet.

#3 Posted by Nightriff (5322 posts) -

I think you mean Grain of truth

#4 Posted by prettyunsmart (22 posts) -

@nightriff: "GAIN OF TRUTH" reads like some text that would pop up on the screen in Dark Souls.

#5 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

I don't really think specs are the Wii U's problem :/

#6 Edited by Morningstar (2238 posts) -

BS.

#7 Posted by AlexGBRO (329 posts) -

Well Nintendo has done this in the past ( Gamecube came in 2002 and wii came in 2006 also GBA 2001 and DS 2004) so Nintendo could cut the generation in 4 years if they want to.

The stuff on the "FUSION DS" that is weird i mean 2gb of ram for games and 1gb for os, this seems high end not something you get from nintendo this looks loke something sony will do for the vita 2.

Looking at the specs for the "FUSION TERMINAL" the is some interesting stuff there they put the Wii U cpu, so that will be for backwards compatibility, the GPGPU: Custom Radeon HD RX 200 GPU CODENAME LADY is a costom version Radeon R9 290X, the Cpu is IBM powerpc 8 and it has 4 GB ddr4 very interesting stuff here because this POWER 8-Based is not realeased yet (maybe nintendo invested in R&D ).Keep in mind that the ps4 development was started in 2008 so Nintendo is learning from sony and starting early.

I think there is a high chance this or some veriation of this could be the next nintendo home console i expect a 2016 realease date, but this box is powerfull, very powerfull it could run games in 4k native the cost could be a problem beacuse we don't know the price of ddr4 or the IBM chip.

#8 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

This sounds like a ton of bullshit^^

#9 Posted by NTM (7540 posts) -

@deranged: It is partially, or mostly. I think it's the reason third party developers have a hard time wanting develop games on it, as compared to PS4 and Xbox One, which are somewhat similar in specs and power.

#10 Posted by shinjin977 (799 posts) -

Well the thing is, companies are constantly working on new hardware. They started working on ps4 specs as early as 2008 I believe. Probably true but I would say this thing is like 3-5 years off.

#11 Posted by Kidavenger (3625 posts) -

If it is, it's sad, making all the same mistakes over again.

The codenames for the components are retarded.

#12 Posted by AMyggen (3626 posts) -

This guy "overheard" those specs? Sounds totally legit.

If it smells like bullshit, it probably is.

#14 Posted by NTM (7540 posts) -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511628&page=232

#15 Edited by Fattony12000 (7558 posts) -

“Before I go into the detail on the Softwear and OS features I overheard, I will like to do a upgraded recap on the specs of both machines. The codename is now “FUSION” and many the R&D want to keep that name for the main console release. The Handheld unit is called the “FUSION DS” while the home unit is called “FUSION TERMINAL.”

#16 Edited by RonGalaxy (3275 posts) -

Coaxial Cable slot? What the fuck would that be for?

#17 Edited by fatalbanana (207 posts) -

This all sounds like pie in the sky BS but Fusion Terminal is an awesome name for a console... I'd buy that.

#18 Posted by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

I'm not sure there's much point discussing it without evidence. We may as well be debating daydreams.

#19 Posted by TyCobb (1978 posts) -

TV. However, this kind of shows that it is bullshit because if this is supposed to be for the next version of TVii, it would have been any other input.

#20 Posted by AlexGBRO (329 posts) -

@fattony12000: so that means he will come with new info on the os and software in the near future, interesting

#21 Posted by AlexGBRO (329 posts) -

@demoskinos: the is a picture on the site where the specs were posted

The the controller looks like almost like a vita

#22 Posted by Rafaelfc (1443 posts) -

Nintendo Fusion sounds awful.

Unless they bundle an HD remake of Metroid Fusion with it, then it's boss.

#23 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

What the hell does this even mean?^^

#24 Edited by cloudymusic (1230 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

>Thumbprint Security Scanner with Pulse Sensing Feedback

>NFC Reader

>3G Chip with GPS Location

>1 CableCARD Slot

>4 Custom Stream-Interface Nodes up to 4 Wii U GamePads or 4 DSc

>Versions with Disk Drive play Wii U Optical Disk (4 Layers Maximum), FUSION Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) and Nintendo 3DS Card Slot.

>4K Port

>Inductive Charging Surface for up to 4 FUSION DS or IC-Wii Remote Plus Controllers

This all sounds way, way fake.

#25 Posted by xyzygy (10077 posts) -

Sounds awesome but it's only a rumour.

#26 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11378 posts) -

I don't think Nintendo is working on anything hardware wise, aside from a redesign of the 3DS. At least for the short term, they may have an R&D team working on a new console for release years from now (probably not though).

#27 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

@ntm said:

@deranged: It is partially, or mostly. I think it's the reason third party developers have a hard time wanting develop games on it, as compared to PS4 and Xbox One, which are somewhat similar in specs and power.

Fair point but it could also be Nintendo's lack of ambition to grab the attention of any third-parties.

#28 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Not enough RAM to fit all them sexy next gen textures and whatnot, so it might as well be true.

#29 Posted by NTM (7540 posts) -

@deranged said:

@ntm said:

Fair point but it could also be Nintendo's lack of ambition to grab the attention of any third-parties.

As in, not make their console powerful like the PS4 and Xbox One? :P

#30 Edited by RonGalaxy (3275 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@naru_joe93 said:

TV. However, this kind of shows that it is bullshit because if this is supposed to be for the next version of TVii, it would have been any other input.

I know, but not even xbox one has a coaxial port. If this was real, then that means they intend to create a full on cable box with this thing, and that screams bullshit to me.

#31 Edited by TyCobb (1978 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@naru_joe93 said:

I know, but not even xbox one has a coaxial port. If this was real, then that means they intend to create a full on cable box with this thing, and that screams bullshit to me.

Exactly.

#32 Edited by DarthOrange (3890 posts) -

@mooseymcman said:

I don't think Nintendo is working on anything hardware wise, aside from a redesign of the 3DS. At least for the short term, they may have an R&D team working on a new console for release years from now (probably not though).

3DS came out a while ago now. How long do you think it takes to make new hardware. I would be shocked if they weren't working on a new portable and home console. That said I don't see anything new out until at least 2015 for portables and 2016 for home consoles.

Also this rumor seems fake.

#33 Posted by Damodar (1496 posts) -

@alexgbro said:

I would laugh so hard if Nintendo put out something that looked like that.

#34 Posted by Flappy (2351 posts) -

Another day, another Nintendo discussion. I don't even know how to feel about this.

#35 Posted by SomberOwl (722 posts) -

Reminds me of when the Wii was originally called the Nintendo Revolution. They will probably end up calling their next console the Wii2U or something dumb as shit like that.

#36 Posted by MattyFTM (14431 posts) -

Nintendo's R&D department don't have the kind of resources to turn around a new console in this sort of time. They're certainly working on something. It could in theory be this thing (although I doubt it). But I wouldn't expect it to reach consumers for at least another 2 years, probably 3. And by then everything could have changed - R&D for a consumer electronics product is a fluid and fast moving process. The idea that Nintendo could just drop the Wii U right now and come out with a new console later this year is preposterous. It's a total fantasy from people who have no idea how this stuff works.

In short, even if this leak is real (and it's probably not), don't expect to see anything on the market for 2+ years, by which time the product could be very different from this thing.

#37 Posted by Turambar (6886 posts) -

Reminds me of when the Wii was originally called the Nintendo Revolution. They will probably end up calling their next console the Wii2U or something dumb as shit like that.

Wii4U

#38 Posted by Yummylee (22504 posts) -

All the uncles.

#39 Edited by Azurath (310 posts) -

Is Nintendo working on new hardware? Absolutely.

Is any of this real? No.

There are things listed in there that even Nintendo knows are not worth spending money to make.

#40 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
#41 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (959 posts) -

Obviously the solution to losing a bunch of money on the Wii U is to release another new console to lose even more money on.

Nintendo isn't that stupid.

#42 Posted by Hunter5024 (5958 posts) -

Nawh, not true. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the next Nintendo console was some sort of hybrid handheld game console thingy. That just makes sense.

#43 Edited by SomberOwl (722 posts) -

@turambar said:
@somberowl said:

Wii4U

Even better lol.

#44 Posted by afabs515 (1317 posts) -

If it sounds too good to be true, which this does, then it probably is. Would definitely be nice to see some modern hardware though

#45 Edited by Abendlaender (2887 posts) -

My uncle works at Nintendo, I can confirm all of this

Edit: Awwww too bad. Somebody already made that hilarious joke.

#46 Posted by freakin9 (1171 posts) -

Just slap something on the Wii U labelled "32x" and all of Nintendo's problems are solved imhomo. No need for a whole new console.

#47 Posted by carlthenimrod (1599 posts) -

@alexgbro said:

Finally, we've moved past discs to saw blades.

#48 Posted by Hunkulese (2869 posts) -

@deranged said:

I don't really think specs are the Wii U's problem :/

It's the number one thing wrong with the Wii U.

#49 Posted by Brendan (8118 posts) -

Due to the length of time there (presumably) is until the next Nintendo console, this seems like a bucketfull of bullshit. This spec list has every single internal detail all figured out, and from the little I know of console development they dont finalize every detail at the same time. Why am I even commenting on this.

#50 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3013 posts) -

It doesn't even address what Nintendo's problem is - cost. Nintendo keeps saying it won't get in a tech race with Sony and MS, which is fine, but they have to be in the EASE OF USE and PRICE race.