Nikzilla90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nikzilla90

http://i.imgur.com/HP5tg.jpg

1) its a reboot. original PoP Zero was going to be modern day and was code named PoP Zero. Hence this reboot is going to be PoP Zero 2.
2) POP 2008's sequel assets were used in making POP TFS Wii.
3) God of War - lite
4) Ubi was working on a new IP for next gend that would have been like God of War meets Shadow of the Colossus. I think they have decided to make it the POP 2 remake.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/675423-Sequel-to-Prince-of-Persia-2008-%28v-4%29/page94

Remember, before E3 started (6/1/2012), the first details leaked from behind closed doors:

PR department of the French publisher Ubisoft made a serious blunders: journalists accidentally showed footage from the teaser clip of the new game in the universe of Prince of Persia. However, in an eerie and without any details, but the fact remains that the development of the next game in the popular adventure series is in full swing. In the presented frame, we saw a bald warrior (his face is hidden shadow), armed to the teeth and "packaged" in a strong leather armor.

This story would have ended well, if not in the camp of Ubisoft showed someone with a very long tongue. The source within the company, said that the announcement of the new Prince of Persia was to be held behind closed doors and only for a select group of English-language press. Now the publisher is in a difficult position: to work as originally planned, will not work - fans of the series will eat with giblets. So it seems to be a full-blown announcement is still to take place.

And now a couple of parts. First, the next Prince of Persia will not have any relation to the previous series. None of the successful trilogy, nor to the secondary and boring Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. If you remember, the latter was to become the first game of the new trilogy. But the low ratings from critics and sluggish sales have forced Ubisoft to abandon further work on a series of clearly failed. Now we are waiting for something closer in spirit to such TV series as the God of War and even Assassin's Creed. Second, the new release will take place not earlier than the end of next year. According to a source inside the company, publishing barely started working on the game. So that at least half a year to develop them still want it.

http://news.playground.ru/36306/

At least Jake Gyllehal didn't kill the franchise. No more child acid-trips with 2008's PoP and hopefully no sparkling sci-fi effects/story breaking the medieval Abrahamic world (a'la Assassins Creed). I wonder how the God of War part will play like (very excited to hear though).

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

God that 2008 one was a booooooooring game. Looks interesting? I dunno, not much to go off of.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I really wish they would just do a sequel to 08. The only problem with that game was that the battles and platforming were to easy and the way they handled the ending. Just make that game more challenging and don't sell the ending, it would be a great sequel. (I'm not referring to the "can't die" thing either as an issue of challenge. All that really did was get rid of the load times between failures.)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

I ended up finding that the 2008 game was pretty memorable. Lots of awesome visual moments that stuck with me. I liked the characters, found the bosses interesting, loved the music, and just enjoyed my time with it. Quite a cliffhanger, too, which I really want to see resolved.

And Elika kicked ass.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoLines

I liked the 2008 game, it was very breezy, had style. Definitely something new and interesting. I'm not feeling this "God of War style" bit at all. Make a good goddamn PoP game, platforming puzzles, great movement and fairy-tale story. What is this God of War and Assassin's Creed bullcrap? Eh, will have to wait and see.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

That's kind of disappointing. I really dug Prince of Persia '08. That game's art style in particular is of the best to date. Game still looks amazing.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan

Super bummed about the abandonment of the PoP 2008 game. It was obvious by now that nothing was ever happening with it sucks all the same.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By billyhoush

These days I have a lot of faith in Ubisoft. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Strife777

I actually liked the 2008 PoP, it had a great look. I'm interested to see where this one goes, that screenshot is intriguing.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By face15

Seems Assassin's Creedy.

Not a lot to go on really but it looks interesting.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By neoepoch

This is the most depressing thing I have seen about any potential sequel for PoP 2008.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm always up for more POP. I have enjoyed every console iteration, especially Forgotten Sands, they used all the environment manipulation mechanics surprisingly well. I would love it if they expanded on some of the ideas from Forgotten Sands, they could create something great.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hippie_genocide

The fuck? Did I fall into a wormhole and emerge in opposite world, where PoP 2008 is regarded as a good thing?

hmmm, anyway The Forgotten Sands actually came after Gyllenhal and the aforementioned horribleness and was decent, if not spectacular. I would much rather see Ubisoft take another look at that game and expand on it. Or a new thing altogether could be cool, I guess.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

I didn't ask for God of War in Prince of Persia, and I can't imagine anyone else did, either. The 2008 Prince of Persia was just fine. Make a second one of those.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee

2008 was utter shit and The Forgotten Sands was better than people give it credit for. It had some of the coolest timing intensive platforming the series has seen. You know, something 2008 lacked.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they cook up.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

@face15 said:

Seems Assassin's Creedy.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Blackout62

So the Prince doesn't seem as Persian as he once was. That's not racist right? If I have historical evidence to back up the statement in multiple ways it isn't, right? Also you know, Egypt, not Persia.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@McGhee said:

2008 was utter shit and The Forgotten Sands was better than people give it credit for. It had some of the coolest timing intensive platforming the series has seen. You know, something 2008 lacked.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they cook up.

Agree with this. 2008 was boring to me, and very repetitive.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Fearbeard

The Bombcast have a pretty good point about how all the Ubisoft games seem to be blending together into one.

I would have guessed that as an Assassin's Creed screenshot out of context.

Anyways, I'll be curious to see how this plays out. I really enjoyed the 2008 PoP and would like to see an evolution of that art style put into a better game, but I'll still give this a shot.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@jakob187 said:

@face15 said:

Seems Assassin's Creedy.

Yea, that may be due to it using AnvilNext. I'm sure the game will differentiate itself from that series, I doubt Ubsioft would allow the game to look and feel like AC too much.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeushbien

All of you shitting on PoP 2008 are bad people.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zella

@Blackout62 said:

So the Prince doesn't seem as Persian as he once was. That's not racist right? If I have historical evidence to back up the statement in multiple ways it isn't, right? Also you know, Egypt, not Persia.

I get what you mean man, when if I didn't know what game that image supposedly was I would never think it was the Prince of Persia.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By phampire

I actually liked PoP 2008, despite the forgiving game design. Screenshot looks... brown lets hope that this isn't representative of the entire game, I really dug the art of PoP 2008.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Humanity

The ending of the 2008 POP was pretty great. That "oh man.." moment.. having to go around cutting those trees down knowing full well what that means. I think it was a powerful ending even if it was a big cliffhanger. Also the Prince was charismatic and funny which is exactly how he should be - none of that Warrior Within nonsense.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By willin

Come on guys. The Prince of Persia movie wasn't THAT bad.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwoLines

@Willin said:

Come on guys. The Prince of Persia movie wasn't THAT bad.

It was the best video game movie ever. That's not much, but it's enough to make it watchable and enjoyable.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#27  Edited By jacksukeru

I'm always interested to see what they can do with this series, I don't feel like there's really enough to comment on yet though. I haven't played Forgotten Sands yet but I bought it on the Steam Sale so I'll dig into it eventually.

PoP 08 was alright, the artstyle never got to me though and all the repetitive and annoying bossfights were no fun. I am also of the opinion that the time rewind mechanic was vastly superior to the quick checkpoint respawn mechanic they had in that one, on account of it actually being fun to use.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By EuanDewar

Lol I really didn't like PoP 08

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By zyn

I've never played any Prince of Persia games. I might pick up the 2008 one from what dudes here have said about it.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By kagato

Ive really liked the Prince of Persia series, i initially didnt like 2008 but the more i played the more it grew on me but the ending did sour me a little, especially now if we are never to see how the rest of this unfolds. I enjoyed the forgotten sands too, definetly not the best in the series but it did do some interesting things with the powers and the environment and it was nice to see the Prince we had all gotten used to back in the sadle. Im really not sure about the look of the new one, its only one screenshot so its not a lot to go on, but Prince of Persia has always been about leaping around tight gaps and ledges, its hard to imagine that huge guy being able to jump over anything but...Ubisoft have been good so far so ill let them prove me wrong. For the record, i also thought the movie was fine, would have liked to have seen how they dealt with the dark prince in a follow up but i guess we will never know now...

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By BoG

POP 2008 was the best POP, and it is a shame that a follow up will never see the light of day.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Phatmac

It's a screenshot folks, how about we see the game in action before we start to cast it of as another AC clone? Ubisoft has shown that it is taking risks with Rayman: Origins and Far Cry 3 so perhaps they've been working on something that'll make PoP relevant again. I'd love another PoP game like the 08 one. Let's hope its more like that and not another AC clone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back Nolan North. Pop2008 was the best Prince game since Sands of Time.

I don't know who that fucker is. Certainly not Persian royalty.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Humanity

The ending of the 2008 POP was pretty great. That "oh man.." moment.. having to go around cutting those trees down knowing full well what that means. I think it was a powerful ending even if it was a big cliffhanger. Also the Prince was charismatic and funny which is exactly how he should be - none of that Warrior Within nonsense.

Exactly, dude. I think the Pop2008 ending is one of the best of this generation, and the people who go "they ruined the entire game!" aren't paying attention. You can actually just turn the game off after Elika dies to seal Ahriman. The game does not make it an objective or put a waypoint; your objective and waypoint giver is dead. You've finished the quest, you sealed Ahriman and saved the world, the game asks nothing more of you. But if you can't bear the sacrifice, if you can't let Elika die, it gives you the power to bring her back at the cost of everything. It's not the game erasing all the work you did, it's YOU the gamer doing it.

It drives me nuts to hear Patrick talk Spec Ops or about how games don't challenge the player's decision making, and then shit on the Prince of Persia ending. Because it's one of the most genius endings of the last few years.
Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Zuldim

They should just do a sequel to the 2008 one, other than a terrible ending, and some poor combat, it was an awesome game. Great art, good platforming.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kindgineer

@MordeaniisChaos: Finally someone who agrees with me. I hated the 2008 version because it was so repetitive. Now I can die happy knowing I am no longer alone.

Also, I really like the idea of the protagonist (or I'm missing the point) is Black. I feel that we instantly want to create a White antagonist in whatever scenery available and generally it's false. I mean hell, Jesus was Bronzed skinned and we still erect statues of a white version of him in denial. Gaming shouldn't make the same mistake.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By BaneFireLord
@jakob187 said:

@face15 said:

Seems Assassin's Creedy.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@ck1nd said:

@MordeaniisChaos: Finally someone who agrees with me. I hated the 2008 version because it was so repetitive. Now I can die happy knowing I am no longer alone.

I never finished it because it was so goddamn boring. I didn't really even get all that far. I mean, I played a decent bit of it, but probably no more than half of it.

@BaneFireLord said:

@jakob187 said:

@face15 said:

Seems Assassin's Creedy.

Which is hilarious, because Assassin's Creed was talked up at times as almost a spiritual successor to Prince of Persia. So this just looks like an evolution of an evolution on the earlier games in the series. One could totally say "Assassin's Creed looks PoPy."

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Hippie_Genocide said:

The fuck? Did I fall into a wormhole and emerge in opposite world, where PoP 2008 is regarded as a good thing?

hmmm, anyway The Forgotten Sands actually came after Gyllenhal and the aforementioned horribleness and was decent, if not spectacular. I would much rather see Ubisoft take another look at that game and expand on it. Or a new thing altogether could be cool, I guess.

It was a generally well received game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By Humanity

@Brodehouse: I couldn't agree more. You're absolutely right and I didn't want to get into specifics in my post in case someone out there got interested and wanted to play it but SPOILERS I guess: The fact that you think you're doing something noble until it's too late is gut wrenching. The dialog was very well written and played a big role in making me genuinely like, and care for both the Prince and Elika. The credits start to roll and then you're there, she's on the table and the game goes on. That moment is very personal if you've made a connection with the game - you're throwing away all your work, all the pain and suffering both of you went through in order to save a person you care about. Then the actual ending is eerily realistic in that there is no happy ending. Both the Prince and Elika wade into a storm as the evil of Ahriman begins to rise about them once more. It's either that or leave Elika "dead" on the slab keeping evil at bay for who knows how long.

It is definitely one of those games where I feel very sad when people don't give it a fair chance. I found most of the gameplay really fun despite everyone saying it was too easy. The combat was an interesting rock, paper, scissors affair and the platforming felt smooth and dynamic. My only complaint was that Elika was a little too magicky just floating around - it gave the impression that she could just ferry you around from ledge to ledge all the time but chose not to, but thats a minor complain. The worlds were beautiful and pushing the darkness from each one was pretty spectacular. I like the fact that they never explain why he has a metal claw, he just does, he just WAS basically. Very little backstory about the Prince and while not always the approach I like it worked perfect in this case.

Basically each time someone says "uhh duh too easy just collecting glowing balls hurr dumb game" my heart sinks a little as it has such a beautiful story compared to most games released these days. Then again I thought Kane and Lynch 2 was a pretty unique and enjoyable game as well so who knows..

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Silver-Streak

God damnit.

I want a conclusion to Prince of Persia from 2008. That game was fantastic. The characters were enjoyable and the world was interesting.

Most people who wined about there not being a way to lose/die in that game couldn't take their heads out of their rear long enough to examine what dying does in a game normally, and to realize that the "Elika rescues" did exactly the same thing, just with more style.

Edit: Wait, back this train up. This and the neogaf threads both have the marks of a troll thread. The original poster's news source is a russian fan site, and the screenshot has everyone floating off the ground (look at their feet).On top of that the poster's account on GB was registered only a day ago.

I'm dialing my large disappointment of the lack of a PoP2008 down, and dialing up my skepticism that this is real and/or hope that this is fake.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ravenlight

I wonder what sort of shitty DRM they'll include with this game. I can't wait!

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Eujin said:

God damnit.

I want a conclusion to Prince of Persia from 2008. That game was fantastic. The characters were enjoyable and the world was interesting.

Most people who wined about there not being a way to lose/die in that game couldn't take their heads out of their rear long enough to examine what dying does in a game normally, and to realize that the "Elika rescues" did exactly the same thing, just with more style.

Elika took out the load times associated with death and that's all she did. It was a good choice.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I loved the world and aesthetic of 2008 game, but this could be neat too. Although, it does look a little too much like the first Assassin's Creed. 

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Silver-Streak

@SethPhotopoulos:

@Eujin said:

God damnit.

Elika took out the load times associated with death and that's all she did. It was a good choice.

Exactly. I thought it was a fantastically implemented idea. It also helps with building the attachment you're supposed to gain for the character over the course of the game.

Nikzilla90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nikzilla90

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@jakob187 said:

@face15 said:

Seems Assassin's Creedy.

Yea, that may be due to it using AnvilNext. I'm sure the game will differentiate itself from that series, I doubt Ubsioft would allow the game to look and feel like AC too much.

I'm thinking of mythical beasts to fight in PoP, that's the biggest thing they could do to separate themselves from AC.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By McBEEF

I really really like the idea of a game set in ancient Egypt-just because of the culture/gods/legends give great opportunity to fight mummies and anubis and such

Nikzilla90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nikzilla90
ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryno9881

I wanted a sequel to the amazing PoP 2008 game. daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Nikzilla90: I'm confused at what you're stating that for. My post stated that I want a PoP2008 sequel, yes, but the edit was stating specifically that I just want this screenshot to /not/ actually be from Prince of Persia. Either for it to be fake, or for it to be something.

No where within my post do I infer that a PoP2008 sequel is being made.

Edit: Also, 2008 sold ~2 million across PS3 and 360 alone (not including PC) which means it outsold Forgotten Sands by nearly double, outsold The Two Thrones, and sold almost as much as Two Thrones' and Forgotton Sands combined. 2008 was a slow burn but decent sales over time.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/24825/prince-of-persia/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/24824/prince-of-persia/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/41292/prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/41293/prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/5595/prince-of-persia-the-two-thrones/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/1791/prince-of-persia-the-two-thrones/