New releases - buy on release important?

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Garfield360UK

Hey all

I was just looking at a similar topic on Xbox.com, and it got me thinking what people at Giantbomb would have to say. With this winter seeing a big influx of new games, it has me very at odds with myself over what to do. Part of me wants to get a few titles that I would like on release and the rest not really bother with. However that would lead to a couple of games a month so I dont know whether to do that or wait for the games to drop in price.

Anyways, how will you go about this?

Discuss

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

If I have the money i'll buy most things in release. If not then I still try desperately to get the things that come with stupid pre-order bonuses that I want. I mean, I know I shouldn't pander to them, but it's a trend that is unlikely to be reversed and when some of the stuff they offer never turns up as DLC, I want it. 

For example, being my second favorite character in the whole Marvel universe, i'm infinitely pissed off that Juggernaught is a pre-order only bonus, what's worse is it's Amazon.co.uk only in the UK, and I have not dealth with them in many years I dislike them intensely. So yeah, not only do I have to come up with the money the week before I get paid in order to get Juggernaught, but I have to pay that money to Amazon. 

If he were available as DLC I wouldn't mind, but giving this stuff out exclusively imo is bad practice, it's not good, companies should only give out things that are inconsequential to gameplay, skins, artwork, music, stuff like that. It's a shame cos i'd happily pay for Juggernaught as DLC, and it's still possible he will be DLC, but it's not 100% certain and as such a huge fan of his i'm not willing to take the risk. 

Stuff like that, I will go to great lengths to pre-order and get day one. Other things I can take or leave, depends how much disposable income I have at the time and how much I want the game.
Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kazu666
@The_A_Drain:
heh, he's your second favourite and you can't even spell his name right? :P

Anyways, I pretty much totally agree with you, if a pre-order bonus actually affects gameplay in any way, it should be offered as DLC down the line. 

I can't see why Day 1 sales are so important that they have to basically bribe us to pre-order.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust

I rarely buy on date of release.  Not because I am looking for sales (although in some cases that is true), but because I usually have another game going and buying at that moment would mean the new title would just sit on the shelf until I'm finished with the old one.  There are cases though where I will set aside time for a specific new game, even though it means I'll probably not return to the old game I'm involved with for a long long time.  Sometimes, knowing that, I'll push to finish a game before the anticipated title is released and thus, clear a space for the new game.  

Looking over the coming months, the only games I plan to purchase the first week of release are Champions Online (Sept 4), Uncharted 2 (Oct 13), Borderlands* (Oct 20), and Modern Warfare 2 (Nov 10).  All the other games I'm interested in will probably wait until after Christmas.  I have the time to get them eventually, I am not the most fervent online player, and I can't quantify buying the a game if I'm not going to play it for 3 to 6 months.  So waiting works well for me.  Sometimes, by then GOTY editions or some special discount are available.

*I'm not sure what to do about Borderlands since I know I won't be done with Uncharted 2 by then.  I'll probably pick it up as soon as I'm finished with the single player part of Uncharted.  Of course, I could become a victim of the hype and buy it early anyway.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Azteck

I'll try to get the games I'm dying the most for, like ME2 or Beatles Rock Band on release. But if I don't have the cash for the other ones, what is there to do?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By iam3green

no, not really. a lot of times i buy games but it isn't important to buy a game on release. sometimes gamestop has bonus things that u get but u can also buy the things off of ebay.